Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249457 times)

The Human Condom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1200 on: June 10, 2013, 06:54:38 AM »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1201 on: June 10, 2013, 07:13:37 AM »
had the newest enjoy by yesterday, along with a bunch of stillwater and evil twin beers. the enjoy by was good, but there was too much oniony hops flavors.

brewed a beer yesterday. galaxy hopped saison. now just have to wait until the saison yeast ferments out to start the secondary brett fermentation.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1202 on: June 10, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »

Supposedly the fastest way to get something cold is to submerge it in icy salt water.

Yum. Kind of expensive ($11) but as good as some of the stouts that sell for twice as much.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1203 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Supposedly the fastest way to get something cold is to submerge it in icy salt water.

Yum. Kind of expensive ($11) but as good as some of the stouts that sell for twice as much.

got that from Trader Joe's recently.  good stuff

more Chicago beer from my Chicago bro

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1204 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »
anyone try their Come Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer?
I'm having trouble finding this. I'm almost certain that I would love it. Anyone know how I can get some in San Diego? I've been to their website, but it said the beer wasn't on sale anywhere near me.

I finally tried the Framboise.

I had high hopes, but it's not for me. It's so sickly sweet I felt like I was blushing every time I took a sip. It smells fantastic though. Almost wanna buy a few bottles and just leave them open in my room as air fresheners.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #1205 on: June 10, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
Rolled the dice on a sixer of this and it's quite tasty.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1206 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
haven't had that one but I like Ska Brewing.  got to go to the brewery when I was in Durango.  recommend.  nice skate park in Durango too
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1207 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »
ive been pretty busy with work and family but here is some stuff ive had over the last few weeks. sorry for the long post.

strong, but loved it.

i don't like coconut but i really liked this.

got this on recommendation from a pal, i think it was Max Power but i apoloagize if im remembering wrong. it was super good, thanks!

my first real stout experience, loved it, bought another one to age.

finally got my hands on this baby, loved it. thanks for the recommendation floop.

second stout experience, it was also very good. i really want to try the speedway as ive heard good things about it as well.
i plan on becoming a regular at Cork and Bottle in Fremont which has a pretty awesome selection so ill have more goods to post soon. anybody tried a brewery called Clown Shoes? i think its from Mass.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1208 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
Clown Shoes is alright, they're pretty much contract brewed along with brash and ipswich. They do make a great RIS called Blaecorn Unidragon. Also twas I who suggested the Baby Tree. You get that in a trade? Another brewery I high suggest is Jack's Abbey, they absolutely kill it in the Lager game

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1209 on: June 11, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
yea clown shoes just got distribution in california, so expect to see a lot of it out here. now if only founders, brooklyn, and cigar city would get on board...
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

pancake man

« Reply #1210 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »
dude Cigar City needs to get on board with everything

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1211 on: June 11, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
they seem to make good stouts.  i liked their Vampire Slayer and Chocolate Sombrero.   my hat goes off to them for having pretty ridiculous labels and not taking themselves too seriously.

the only people who seem to one up them in that regard are Ass Clown Brewing

http://assclownbrewery.com/Official_Ass_Clown_Brewery_Site.html

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1212 on: June 11, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »

If that's your balcony, I'm jealous as fuck.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
these tonight. the stillwater is a decent saison, like most of their beers. i guess they brew in connecticut at the same place as evil twin. ryan and the beaster bunny is a better saison for the same price. rayon vert is a nice cheap brett beer. half the price of orval, but a bit hoppier.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1214 on: June 11, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If that's your balcony, I'm jealous as fuck.

ha.  it is.  we got pretty lucky with a good spot.  cheers

drinking this and somewhat disappointed

i guess all the Alpine hype set me up.  i would like to try others.  i know they're supposed to have great IPAs, but this one is not doing it for me.  not bad, but not my shit.  Firestone Double Jack is my shit.  Lagunitas Sucks.  Founders Double Trouble.  Port Mongo.   i guess i really like those more grapefruity west coast style ipas more.  i'm not that good at writing about beer but i know what i like

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1215 on: June 12, 2013, 12:50:14 AM »
my bad pancake man, and thanks again for the recomendation, it was really good. i bought it at whole foods here in SJ with my homies employee discount.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #1216 on: June 12, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Not sure I'd say its a favorite but I'm drinking this tonight.  Its from Cigar City in Tampa and is sold most corner stores where I live.

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: June 13, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
more beer gifts from my Chicago friend.  this shit is amazing.  great beer.  and great name for a beer

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/91670

ps, glad you liked the Mongo tangar

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1218 on: June 14, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »

was gonna buy the Dubhe but since ive had a few darker beers lately, i decided to try this first. as much or more flavor than some double IPAs ive had. up there with Ballast Point Sculpin as one of my favorites so far. i love it. will definitely buy again.

lagunitas delivering the goods as usual.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #1219 on: June 14, 2013, 06:59:25 AM »

Been stoked on Tusker from Kenya lately. Nice refreshing beer on a hot day.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: June 14, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »

was gonna buy the Dubhe but since ive had a few darker beers lately, i decided to try this first. as much or more flavor than some double IPAs ive had. up there with Ballast Point Sculpin as one of my favorites so far. i love it. will definitely buy again.

definitely pick up some Dubhe next time you have a chance.  don't think you'll be disappointed.  check the bottling dates though.  luckily Uinta puts good dates on their stuff.  some places suck and keep old IPA around forever

i've found Uinta hit and miss.  Dubhe is amazing.  Hop Notch is really good.  their summer canned offerings are pretty bland, but i guess better than drinking Bud if you want to drink light lagers all day.  i do like their artwork and look they have going.  hope to visit the brewery some day

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1221 on: June 16, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »

Had these bad boys the other day. I wish more beers came in the 550ml bottle instead of the 650 or 750. If I want a beer and don't really want to get buzzed, one pint is perfect, if I want a nice buzz, two is good. When I open one of the 22 oz bottles I feel like I'm committing to getting buzzed, and if I open a second one I feel like I'm committing to getting kind of drunk.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: June 16, 2013, 12:22:58 PM »
this is refreshing as fuck:

this is outstanding. great pineapple flavors:

really nice. the blueberry isn't overwheming:

pancake man

« Reply #1223 on: June 16, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
Dude, sculpin is a phenomenal IPA. Finally had Burton Baton from Dogfish Head, barreling really mellowed out the hops and added a nice vanilla background

Also I highly suggest doing a hard cider, preferably drier, and fireball whiskey... it's fan-fucking-tastic
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:59:53 PM by pancake man »

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1224 on: June 17, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »
Got sixer of this

Smells super fruity. The taste starts off with apricot then recedes to weat then back to a pretty strong apricot aftertaste. I thought it was great, but I can tell you guys like the bitter stuff.

Also picked up a Lagunitas Lucky 13.

I haven't tried it yet, but as a new beer drinker, I get the sinking suspension it's going taste awful to me. Doesn't matter though, with it's 8.something% alcohol content, it is bound to get me buzzed and that's all I want out of it. I'm still learning to like the taste of the stuff.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1225 on: June 17, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »

Had these bad boys the other day. I wish more beers came in the 550ml bottle instead of the 650 or 750. If I want a beer and don't really want to get buzzed, one pint is perfect, if I want a nice buzz, two is good. When I open one of the 22 oz bottles I feel like I'm committing to getting buzzed, and if I open a second one I feel like I'm committing to getting kind of drunk.

can't go wrong with either of those.  i agree on size.  i like bombers and all, but i usually like to try several different beers when i'm drinking.  on a weeknight, if i break out a bomber of a double ipa, that's probably going to do it for me (though it depends on the night).  2 would definitely put me in danger territory.   i like my local beer store because they let you buy singles from 6 packs.  it's nice to mix and match, and try different things.  buying 1 12oz is pretty risk free too if you don't like it

as an aside, i went to the Solvang area again over the weekend (skatepark there is amazing more the bowls, street not so much) and visited Firestone Barrelworks.   definitely worth checking out if you like Firestone, and especially their barrel-aged beers.  they have stuff on tap there that you can't get anywhere else (not even at the main brewery).   plus you can buy all their hard to find bottles.  it's pretty much Firestone mecca.  

http://www.firestonebeer.com/barrelworks/on-tap.php

travel tip:  if you are ever actually planning on going there to stay with your girlfriend or whatever, i recommend staying in the Santa Ynez area (3 miles from Solvang).  Solvang is actually really annoying and touristy and like Disneyland.  tons of kids and old people.  the only reason to be in Solvang itself is the Paula's Pancake House  http://www.paulaspancakehouse.com/ and the skatepark.  and, of course, Firestone Barrelworks, which is actually down the street in Buelleton.  also in Buelleton is Figureoa Mountain Brewing Co.( http://www.figmtnbrew.com/ ), worth stopping in as well.

this has been a floop travel tip
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:22:30 PM by floop »

pancake man

« Reply #1226 on: June 17, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
Wow, I'm incredibly jealous. Do they make their own barrels or do they source them from other Distilleries?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »
they get their barrels from various distilleries and wineries.  pretty good article about the place here  http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2013/01/jeffers_richardson_firestone_walker.php

Jeffers Richardson was actually there pouring beers.  Cool guy. 

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1228 on: June 18, 2013, 12:31:54 AM »
i went to Solvang a few years ago before i started drinking good stuff and i am incredibly jealous right now. on another note, does anyone have any lagers they would recommend? i want to buy my dad a couple beers (late fathers day gift) to try, he used to drink bud back in the day but now drinks heineken but only occasionally. i will probably give him a couple IPAs to try and see if he likes em but i thought i should get him a good lager or two as well. any tips would be appreciated.

pancake man

« Reply #1229 on: June 18, 2013, 03:31:45 AM »
Like I said previously if you can get your hand on some Jack's Abbey, they almost exclusively do lagers

http://jacksabbybrewing.com/#

specifically the Jabby Brau, Smoke and Dagger or Private Rye
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:33:39 AM by pancake man »