Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249336 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1740 on: January 10, 2014, 05:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Been killing Half Acre Daisy Cutter Pale Ale this week. Phenomenal and I want to try more brews out of the Half Acre Brewery.
[close]
so good, everything i've had has been awesome. their ipa's are incredibly well done.

I'm trying to arrange a beer trade with someone in the Chicago area. All I can get from Half Acre out here in Philly is Daisy Cutter. I've heard their Heyoka IPA is unreal.

The Exterminator

« Reply #1741 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »
From last night. Very enjoyable.

pancake man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1742 on: January 10, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »
I wonder who made the label/ I hope they saw the redundancy of IRA Ale

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1743 on: January 11, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1744 on: January 11, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
i got banned from beer advocate (again).  think it was a combo of things, but it probably didn't help that i said Suicidal Tendencies are a terrible punk band, unless you're 13-16 years old

in other news, i picked up my first Reserve Society haul today from the Bruery.  2014 is going to be a good year

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:39:22 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1745 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »

i always like his reviews.  don't always agree, but i think we like the same type of beer for the most part.  also, at least he's articulate and concise.  even if sometimes it sounds like he's pulling things out of his ass (as far as what notes he's getting).  most other online reviewers are painful to watch

i've had 5 of the 10, and have 1 in the fridge.  hope to seek out the others
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #1746 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »
really nice. brett beers can be hit or miss, but this is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:25:29 AM by max power »

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1747 on: January 11, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
i got banned from beer advocate (again).  think it was a combo of things, but it probably didn't help that i said Suicidal Tendencies are a terrible punk band, unless you're 13-16 years old
hahaha god, they fucking suck (BA).

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1748 on: January 12, 2014, 04:56:19 AM »
My good friend is the head brewer at a new brewery called Bottle Logic in Anaheim. Went there for some bottle share thing Friday night and tried a bunch of new stuff. Notably I spent 30 bucks on a Concannons sour that I didn't appreciate at all. And there was a Fantome that smelled and tasted exactly like great weed. I believe it was this one ?

I know the word science was in the name. Other than that my favorite was probably an overly bitter home brewed IPA somebody brought that was given to them by the chef at some pizza place they eat at. I'm beginning to think my pallet is just kind of lame. Enjoying this right now.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1749 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
heard about bottle logic.  that's cool your friend is the brewer.

Orange County is getting more breweries than LA lately it seems.  we need to step up our game.

i visited Noble Ale Works in Anaheim last weekend and was pretty impressed. 

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #1750 on: January 12, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »

imagine you dropped a handful of tootsie rolls into a bottle of piss and left it for a week

pancake man

« Reply #1751 on: January 12, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
i got banned from beer advocate (again).  think it was a combo of things, but it probably didn't help that i said Suicidal Tendencies are a terrible punk band, unless you're 13-16 years old

Yo, I'm tellin you... www.talkbeer.org

It's like BA but more fun and zero heavy handed moderation. Check it out I'm Skittle34 over there

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1752 on: January 12, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »
Expand Quote
i got banned from beer advocate (again).  think it was a combo of things, but it probably didn't help that i said Suicidal Tendencies are a terrible punk band, unless you're 13-16 years old

[close]

It's like BA but more fun and zero heavy handed moderation. Check it out I'm Skittle34 over there

I joined a few days ago.  I think that might be part of why I got banned actually.  Heard they were going on there and deleting all defectors

pancake man

« Reply #1753 on: January 12, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Ehhh better off without them haha.

Did a huge tasting of BCBS saturday night with some folk from Talkbeer.org

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/reviews-the-bcs-tasting-that-will-never-be-repeated/

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1754 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »
i'll still read the site and probably do trades there - under a new user - but yeah, they are way too uptight

that BCS tasting looks mind boggling.   how do the older coffee versions taste?  I imagine that would be the one clearcut one where the most recent would be the best.  any stand outs?

i rented a cellar space today.  i'd like to get something build under my house, but in the mean time i'm going to use this place http://www.thecavewinestorage.com    

i'm sure the closet thing is fine for keeping things for a year or so, but i'm getting to the point where i have so much beer - and so much really good beer - that i want to make sure it's stored properly  

jealous of midwest people and their basements

pancake man

« Reply #1755 on: January 13, 2014, 06:26:32 AM »
2013 Coffee was out of this world. The stand outs for BCBS were definitely '09/'11 BCBS, Rare and I really liked Vanilla, but I think the beers that stood out to me the most were Hill Farmstead's Florence and Flora. Cracked those open at like 2:30 am but they were just so damn good

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #1756 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »

tried this last night, it was so damn delicious. would buy again, and again and again.

grabbed over the weekend.  not a fan of HUGE IPAs, so this is good stuff.  very drinkable. 

also grabbed some

very good
hardly art, hardly starving

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1757 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:18 AM »
that site seems cool. need to come up with a handle, though. made my BA one up a long time ago and not really jazzed on it.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1758 on: January 13, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »
i'm Sam Frank on there, as i was on BA

kind of ready to start a new one

i'm also Black Rider on BA (created that one 1st time i got banned), but might start fresh with a new one

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #1759 on: January 13, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
also grabbed some

very good

This looks great. Everything I've had from Uinta has been excellent: Hop Notch, Dubhe, Yard Sale... and I'm a big fan of brown ales, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1760 on: January 15, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »

just signed up as 'picture_of_randal' over there.

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1761 on: January 15, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
I've been wanting to get a nice glass for beer, but I can't decide on a style. I don't want to spend a lot so I'm only gonna buy one glass. Thoughts?
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1762 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
get a tulip.  i think it's perfect for most styles.  brings in the aroma to the nose well, looks cool.  best all around glass

you should check your thrift store / goodwill.  

i found this at a thrift store for a dollar (it's like an oversized tulip)

tulip or goblet is my vote

okdad

« Reply #1763 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
Yeah I see lots at my thrift store. They had some cool old school Budweiser chalices last time I went. Good call.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1764 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
I've been wanting to get a nice glass for beer, but I can't decide on a style. I don't want to spend a lot so I'm only gonna buy one glass. Thoughts?
might be more than you are willing to spend, but spiegelau tulip glasses are my absolute favorite. they are around $15 for 2. I'm on my second set after some 'accidents'. like floop said, thrift stores can be good, but also keep an eye out for bars doing 'keep the glass' nights. there is a place here (flying saucer) that has that every wednesday night. you buy a beer from the sponsoring brewery and keep the glass. i've got some nice ones going to those.

this is the spiegelau tulip. i rarely use anything else.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1765 on: January 15, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
thats a beaut max, i might have to get some for my bday in feb. just picked up two 12.12.12 vertical epics at grocery outlet for under 6 bucks each. dont know what to expect as ive never had it.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

okdad

« Reply #1766 on: January 15, 2014, 04:43:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
might be more than you are willing to spend, but spiegelau tulip glasses are my absolute favorite. they are around $15 for 2. I'm on my second set after some 'accidents'. like floop said, thrift stores can be good, but also keep an eye out for bars doing 'keep the glass' nights. there is a place here (flying saucer) that has that every wednesday night. you buy a beer from the sponsoring brewery and keep the glass. i've got some nice ones going to those.

this is the spiegelau tulip. i rarely use anything else.
http://blog.chron.com/beertx/files/2011/09/Sp-TulipSIZED.jpg
Damn, beautiful. Unfortunately I'm not old enough to go to bars so that's a no-go on keeping the glass.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1767 on: January 15, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »
im not a fan of the goblets...

my preferred:

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1768 on: January 15, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
Expand Quote
also grabbed some

very good
[close]

This looks great. Everything I've had from Uinta has been excellent: Hop Notch, Dubhe, Yard Sale... and I'm a big fan of brown ales, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Brown Ales are definitely my favorite...just above black lagers and porters

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1769 on: January 16, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »

This is tasty.

Also forgot to mention in my last post in here that at beer exchange thing I went to had a Two Turtle Doves from the Bruery that had been aged 2 or 3 years that was fuckin amazing.