Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249389 times)

max power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1860 on: February 14, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
I wish they didn't kill prairie standard. birra isn't quite as good, but it's still a great beer.

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1861 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
nah, it's not a simcoe thing. i still really enjoy many simcoe forward ipa's and pales. hopslam was fine this year, too.

tipa this year was weird and not because of any recipe change, just because of the hops they got. i was talking to one of the brewers about it because i thought they may have tweaked it a bit, but it seems like it was something with this years harvest of galaxy. apparently some people liked the melony flavors, but to me that's not galaxy. galaxy is usually passionfruit forward.

aipa is always pretty vegetal, but there's just been something up with it to me in the last couple years and it bums me out because i really enjoyed the first batch.

I just thought TIPA this year was super flavorful if anything. I still got mostly passion fruit, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same "melony" flavor. Given how much more available Galaxy and other Southern Hemisphere hops are getting, I wonder if quality is becoming better, or more consistent?

& That Centennial from Wine and Cheese? I have yet to try any canned, but I love Centennial; might go so far as to say a little more than Two Hearted.

@Floop
Hope you like maple syrup, if so Sweet Repute might be your favorite beer ever. I'm not the biggest maple fan, but it was more than drinkable. My first wheatwine. REALLY excited for my second ;D

2nd Shift is probably my favorite local.

Mostly more Red's Rye, and these the past couple of weeks

Cheers

ieatemochilds

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1862 on: February 15, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »
Just got this:

So good.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1863 on: February 16, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »

Had to buy the Bomb even tho it cost me $15.99. You assholes got me all curious about it. Grabbed the Vendetta to try cause it's limited whatever.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1864 on: February 16, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Nice!   Where'd you find Bomb?   I have a couple from a trade haven't tried yet

Met a brewmaster from Maine today at a skatepark.  He works at Sebago Brewing

I feel like craft beer and skateboarding somehow go hand in hand (not always at the same time, but sometimes)
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1865 on: February 16, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
Had to buy the Bomb even tho it cost me $15.99. You assholes got me all curious about it.
that's some gnarly gouging. Should be $7.99-$8.99 tops. Great beer, though.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1866 on: February 16, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »
a liquor store in Fremont called Cork and Bottle had it. i think ive talked about them before on here. they said its about 10 bucks in OK but the shipping was steep, the dude told me he could charge 19.99 and people would still buy it, i believe him.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1867 on: February 16, 2014, 06:47:09 PM »
he's def lying, not about people willing to pay that, but about that other jazz. it was cheaper at mikkeller bar in sf even with bar pricing. that happens all the time, though. I've seen liquor stores selling bourbon county stout for over $14 a bottle, yet people still buy it.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1868 on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »
Expand Quote
nah, it's not a simcoe thing. i still really enjoy many simcoe forward ipa's and pales. hopslam was fine this year, too.

tipa this year was weird and not because of any recipe change, just because of the hops they got. i was talking to one of the brewers about it because i thought they may have tweaked it a bit, but it seems like it was something with this years harvest of galaxy. apparently some people liked the melony flavors, but to me that's not galaxy. galaxy is usually passionfruit forward.

aipa is always pretty vegetal, but there's just been something up with it to me in the last couple years and it bums me out because i really enjoyed the first batch.
[close]

I just thought TIPA this year was super flavorful if anything. I still got mostly passion fruit, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same "melony" flavor. Given how much more available Galaxy and other Southern Hemisphere hops are getting, I wonder if quality is becoming better, or more consistent?

& That Centennial from Wine and Cheese? I have yet to try any canned, but I love Centennial; might go so far as to say a little more than Two Hearted.

@Floop
Hope you like maple syrup, if so Sweet Repute might be your favorite beer ever. I'm not the biggest maple fan, but it was more than drinkable. My first wheatwine. REALLY excited for my second ;D

2nd Shift is probably my favorite local.

Mostly more Red's Rye, and these the past couple of weeks

Cheers

i do actually.  think i'll dig it

i actually read about how they age it in bourbon barrels that were used to age maple syrup.  it sounded so good to me i bought some.  it's really good.  you can get it here http://blisgourmet.com/home/

in other news, having this for the first time.  pretty mind blowing.  think it lives up to they hype

prob best non barrel aged imp stout i've had

cigar city is fucking amazing.  would make going to Florida and risking face eating worth it
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:38:48 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #1869 on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:11 AM »
Has anyone tried Blue Points sour cherry imperial stout? I picked up a bottle last night but haven't opened it yet. Seems pretty intriguing to me.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1870 on: February 17, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:33:28 PM by Jumping Beans »

Andrew

« Reply #1871 on: February 17, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
You ever try Founders Imperial Stout, Floop? It comes off as really dry to me; not very chocolatey or coffee-y at all. Great for me as I'm in the mood for drier stouts (or wee heavies) much more often than many (super sweet IMO) RIS's.

As for that syrup, I'm a cook at a beer-bar+pizza joint, and we make a desert with "Sweet Sophie" brand Bourbon Barrel Maple Syrup. Pretty much a cinnamon roll with bacon and drizzled with the syrup ;D Delicious

Had one of those local barleywines last night; only ~9 weeks old, but no heat or hint of unbalance. A little maltier than Bigfoot, and a little more caramel-y malt. Really wish it didn't cost $12/bomber, I'd love to have one of these almost every day.

Edit-
Oh wait, you were talking about bourbon, weren't you  :P I got that backwards. I'm not a huge fan of maple or honey finished whiskey, but every once in a while when I do crave it, it sure hits the spot. I'm partial to straight Rye. Islay, too, when I feel like hurting my wallet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:03:06 PM by Andrew »
ieatemochilds

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #1872 on: February 17, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »

I split this bottle with my brother, it was damn good. Not overpowering on the coffee taste, just enough of it to be awesome. Hardywood's doing some awesome stuff in Richmond, I'm not sure how available they are outside of Richmond/NOVA/parts of surrounding states.

Between this and the best beer bar down there getting Flying Dog's 2012 barrel aged Gonzo on tap, I really need to get my shit together and move back.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1873 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »
Had Victory's Hop Ranch, which is a delicious beer, but the color did not scream Imperial India Pale Ale. It the color was that of an extra pale ale, straw colored if you will. I want to say it was an extremely hoppy Imperial Extra Pale Ale, but fuck that's so convoluted haha. Regardless 9% and deliciously citrus is a good time

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1874 on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
just missed beer week here, but toronado still had their barleywine event going and i got some almanac heirloom pumpkin and dogfish olde school. the almanac was great, it's a blend of fresh and brandy barrel aged pumpkin barleywines. one of, if not the best pumpkin beers i've had. the dogfish head was nice, the "dark fruit" flavors are turned up since it's brewed with dates and figs. drinks a lot smoother than 15%.

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #1875 on: February 17, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »
i got into revolution for a minute, due to this store selling either a bunch of craft brews and PBR like right next to my girlfriends dorm.  I just got my tax return and will be going back to Cincinnati to claim it.  Does anyone have anything that I should pick up while Im in town this weekend?
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1876 on: February 18, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
Drank the Prarie Standard last night, it was really good. Picked these up today at a craft beer store that's actually close by my place. The selection wasn't huge but the prices were good compared to other spots around here.

Also had an Avery IPA and Dales Pale both out of cans that Nallid bought. Both were good.

Andrew

« Reply #1877 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
Jealous, I really wish we saw Oskar Blues around here. G'Night (imperial red) and their Scotch Ale were incredible, and Dale's was great too. So was their Pils.

Gonna do a side-by-side tomorrow with a friend. Fresh always wins for me, but still great with some age on it.

Also excited that Stone's Old Guardian ships out next week, and REALLY excited to try the BBA version (Guardian's Slumber).  I never got to try the old one.
ieatemochilds

pancake man

« Reply #1878 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1879 on: February 19, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
Picked up a sample pack today... I know the Revolution is good but I've never tried the French beers.  We'll see how it goes..

Almost bought a 4 pack of these for $16, seems like a fair price for 9% beer.. maybe next time.

French canadian*

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1880 on: February 19, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
J'm'excuse... J'ai tellement aimer ces bieres, c'est difficile a croire quil son 9%.  Tu peut aussi acheter un 4pack de chaque sorte pour $9, un deal fou!.. J'ai poigner la Trois Pistoles desoir.  Est-ce qu'Unibroue c'est populaire au Quebec, ou il y a t'il d'autre marques que'j'devrait rechercher si je demenage a Montreal?

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1881 on: February 19, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
Jealous, I really wish we saw Oskar Blues around here. G'Night (imperial red) and their Scotch Ale were incredible, and Dale's was great too. So was their Pils.
it's coming:
http://beerpulse.com/2014/02/oskar-blues-brewery-expands-distribution-to-delaware-next-week-with-standard-dist-2442/
"Oskar Blues will add distribution in Kansas, Nevada and Missouri as well in 2014"

have yet to pick up the 2014 bigfoot. i'll be able to do a 6 year vertical this year. did a 5 year one last year, it's somewhere in this thread.  2 years seems to be about the magic spot. it's one of the few beers i age anymore.

going to bring back a bunch of 2nd shift when i drive out here in march. have you been out to the tap room? it's pretty great. definitely worth the hours drive and growler fills are super cheap ($11-12). they were closed for renovations recently, though.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1882 on: February 19, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
J'm'excuse... J'ai tellement aimer ces bieres, c'est difficile a croire quil son 9%.  Tu peut aussi acheter un 4pack de chaque sorte pour $9, un deal fou!.. J'ai poigner la Trois Pistoles desoir.  Est-ce qu'Unibroue c'est populaire au Quebec, ou il y a t'il d'autre marques que'j'devrait rechercher si je demenage a Montreal?

unibroue est disponible partout au qc et tout le monde connait ca. dieu du ciel, dunham, trou du diable brasseurs des temps font partie des nombreuses micros que j'aime. D'ou viens-tu?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1883 on: February 20, 2014, 05:47:31 AM »
Nouvelle-Ecosse.  J'vient d'une communaute Acadienne mais j'habite a Halifax maintenant.  J'ai passer Noel a Montreal avec la famille and des amies qu'habite en NDG, et j'ai decider c'est pour moi.  TRHbar c'est y cool comme qu'il disons?  Merci pour les renseignments de brasseurs!  Quand j'etait la j'ai seulement pris advantage des cheap 12 de PBR...

Jack

• Rep: 39
« Reply #1884 on: February 20, 2014, 05:53:36 AM »
Drank the Prarie Standard last night, it was really good. Picked these up today at a craft beer store that's actually close by my place. The selection wasn't huge but the prices were good compared to other spots around here.

Also had an Avery IPA and Dales Pale both out of cans that Nallid bought. Both were good.

What is that middle one? Hipster wet-dream!
You guys got it good price wise. UK prices are out of hand, think it might be a tax thing.

Andrew

« Reply #1885 on: February 20, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's coming:
http://beerpulse.com/2014/02/oskar-blues-brewery-expands-distribution-to-delaware-next-week-with-standard-dist-2442/
"Oskar Blues will add distribution in Kansas, Nevada and Missouri as well in 2014"

have yet to pick up the 2014 bigfoot. i'll be able to do a 6 year vertical this year. did a 5 year one last year, it's somewhere in this thread.  2 years seems to be about the magic spot. it's one of the few beers i age anymore.

going to bring back a bunch of 2nd shift when i drive out here in march. have you been out to the tap room? it's pretty great. definitely worth the hours drive and growler fills are super cheap ($11-12). they were closed for renovations recently, though.

Well that's good news  ;D Thanks for the tip. I'm about 15mi East of the river (and a little north), and since the only thing I regularly buy in the city is local stuff, it'll be nice to have some every-day stuff to pick up, too.

And I haven't been to 2nd Shift, but the growler price is really good to know. Might have to call them and beg them to let me know if/when they're tapping any of their wheat wine soon, so I can toss my bottle aside for a little while. MAYBE even share a little bit  ;)

As for Bigfoot, jealous of that stash! I'd love to have them if only for sentimental reasons- Bigfoot was my first american strong ale (excluding stouts) and set my love for SN in stone (if it wasn't already). Not that I'm trying to knock stouts- I enjoy them when I have them, but pale/red ales will probably always be my favorite. And honestly, my favorite malt-bombs are wee heavies.

As for the tasting, fresh won as expected. The crisper finish and longer resin-y aftertaste is what really makes it for me. Can't say the same for my friend, he finished his half of the 2013 in just a few minutes
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:49:10 PM by Andrew »
ieatemochilds

Conan

« Reply #1886 on: February 20, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1887 on: February 21, 2014, 03:17:38 AM »
^the hipster beer is Potlatch by Prairie.

Tonight's menu

pancake man

« Reply #1888 on: February 21, 2014, 06:06:04 AM »
How is their Pale 31? I haven't seen it on the east coast, which is strange because I've bought Sacuba and Double DBA

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #1889 on: February 21, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
^the hipster beer is Potlatch by Prairie.

Tonight's menu

tangar we're drinking the same thing tonight.  cheers!
hardly art, hardly starving