Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249366 times)

Julz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1950 on: March 12, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
... so who scored an Hunnapuh ?

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1951 on: March 12, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure Floops right about only being available at company stores, unfortunately. I asked about it on their Facebook and they never got back to me. Speaking of Stone, that new session IPA is pretty good, but I like Levitation more. Really wish that one was more available and a little cheaper.

Maybe I've been spoiled by having a local BBA stout available year-round, and Dragon's Milk for pretty cheap, ($14/4) but I don't feel the need to try a lot of BBA beers. I'm kind of picky about them. My (BBA) favorites are barleywines and ryewines, then scotch ales, then flavored stouts. Big fan of rye barrels (and the whiskey inside) too, just more flavorful. I agree that plenty are "eh" but the good ones are goooood.

@Floop
Sure I'll let you know when we get in more Happy Camper. As for what I'd want to trade, I'm not much of a ticker.. can you get Golden Road brewing easily? Their Wolf Among Weeds was great, but I think they just released a mixed 4-pack of (canned  ;D) IPAs, too.

I've only

Picked up a local IIPA (4 Hands War Hammer) that was released this past Saturday. Had to pick up some every day stuff too, Bells Amber and Old Coast are on the right. Didn't snag a pic of the bomber, but I will when it's poured in a few hours.

Cheers

hey Andrew, thanks for the offer.  i already got some lined up actually .  doing a trade with someone from NM and asked if he could hook me up some Happy Camper.  he's also insisting i try Project Dank.  ever had it?  looking forward to trying

i can easily get you Golden Road.  live like 2 miles from it.  it's all over.   funny that's the one you'd want.  they do make some decent IPAs now.  had a rough start.  Wolf Among Weeds is good.
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1952 on: March 12, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »

i'm getting some

i picked up a gaggle of Feral One's at Barrelworks last weekend (i went to the Feral One opening and the Parabola opening, up in Paso Robles)..   trading the fuck out of the Feral Ones.  i don't even like sours.  just got them because i knew they'd be good trade beers

by the way the Parabola tour in Paso was the absolute best brewery tour i've ever been on.  fucking incredible.  granted i'm an FW fanboy, but they really treated people right.  liberal pours of Merkin, Parabola, Parabajava and Stickee Monkee

here are a bunch of shitty pics of my saturday

templeton skatepark near Paso
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1953 on: March 13, 2014, 12:33:51 AM »
Anyone else kind of getting sick of this whole Bourbon Barrel Aged deal?

nope
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1954 on: March 13, 2014, 07:39:47 AM »
Floop did you get to keep those glasses? All three look amazing!

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #1955 on: March 13, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nope

I love Founders breakfast stout, so this must be awesome.

Edit: Founders > Bells

I tried the Bells stuff since it started coming around NY lately...the porter and stout are okay, but nothing compared to Founders. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:01:24 AM by The Nose Face »

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1956 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=37201.msg2106699#msg2106699 date=1394726312
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

nope
[close]

I love Founders breakfast stout, so this must be awesome.

Edit: Founders > Bells

I tried the Bells stuff since it started coming around NY lately...the porter and stout are okay, but nothing compared to Founders. Just my two cents.

it's fucking great.  will have to trade your first born to get some this year
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:23:56 PM by floop »

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1957 on: March 13, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure Floops right about only being available at company stores, unfortunately. I asked about it on their Facebook and they never got back to me. Speaking of Stone, that new session IPA is pretty good, but I like Levitation more. Really wish that one was more available and a little cheaper.

Maybe I've been spoiled by having a local BBA stout available year-round, and Dragon's Milk for pretty cheap, ($14/4) but I don't feel the need to try a lot of BBA beers. I'm kind of picky about them. My (BBA) favorites are barleywines and ryewines, then scotch ales, then flavored stouts. Big fan of rye barrels (and the whiskey inside) too, just more flavorful. I agree that plenty are "eh" but the good ones are goooood.

@Floop
Sure I'll let you know when we get in more Happy Camper. As for what I'd want to trade, I'm not much of a ticker.. can you get Golden Road brewing easily? Their Wolf Among Weeds was great, but I think they just released a mixed 4-pack of (canned  ;D) IPAs, too.

I've only

Picked up a local IIPA (4 Hands War Hammer) that was released this past Saturday. Had to pick up some every day stuff too, Bells Amber and Old Coast are on the right. Didn't snag a pic of the bomber, but I will when it's poured in a few hours.

Cheers

I know everyone has different opinions on IPA's, but I thought the Wolf Among Weeds was their worst IPA. It's not bad, but if you haven't had the Heal the Bay or Better Weather ones, I'd definitely recommend it. Heal the Bay is 9.4% too and doesn't even taste that strong at all.

Irvine-Sucks.com

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1958 on: March 13, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
Floop what do I need to do to get a Feral One off you?

Smashed this growler of Pliny last night.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1959 on: March 13, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
My bottle is expected to arrive tomorrow.  Had to trade away a bottle of Westy 12 for it, but I regret nothing.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1960 on: March 13, 2014, 05:30:41 PM »
Floop what do I need to do to get a Feral One off you?

Smashed this growler of Pliny last night.

i've been trying to get some of the heavier hitters that haven't had (usually for multiples or combo of feral one and something else), but i'd trade one with a fellow skate bro if you have something decent.   even some fresh pliny.  we get it down here, but it's spotty.  i usually get it when i can, and not even for me but for friends who haven't had it yet.  message me

Bourbon County Cherry Rye is at the top of my list.

i like imp stouts and barleywines, especially barrel aged.  and ipas

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1961 on: March 13, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My bottle is expected to arrive tomorrow.  Had to trade away a bottle of Westy 12 for it, but I regret nothing.

had my first one about a month ago (2012).  it's hands down the best non barrel aged imperial stout i've ever had.   

hoping to try the double barrel version and the rum barrel version soon

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1962 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
@Floop
That's pretty funny, I saw you mention Pasadena and Golden Road came to mind as an L.A. brewery.

@RC
I've only had Wolf Among Weeds, so I can't speak for the others. I remember it as having a pretty bright/floral nose, but drinking mostly piney and bitter. I can get down on super fruity/floral IPAs when I'm in the mood for them, but something about a mostly green/vegetal bitter flavor just really hits home for me.

Speaking of Green Flash, new packaging and WCIPA and Hop Head Red are getting jacked up to 8.1%. Will be out late April.

As for Bell's vs. Founders, I may have a preference but I think it's silly to say one is marginally better than the other.
-Founders Imperial Stout is my favorite "regular" stout between the two, but I like Bell's Expedition more than FBS. Just the type of stout I prefer.
-Not sure if I can pick between Black Note and KBS.  Two Hearted comes across as more floral/fruitier than Centennial, but I enjoy the pinier Centennial more. And I like Red's Rye more than either.
-Founders Double Trouble over Hopslam as an Imperial IPA, but Hopslam for an extremely-crushable Imperial. I was fortunate enough to try Bell's Oracle this past August, now THAT stuff is a hop slam.
-I enjoy Bell's Old Ale more than Dirty Bastard, but I love Dirty Bastard too. (I know they're listed as different styles, but are very similar. Same with other super malty old ales like Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball IMO).
-Founders Curmudgeon is great, nothing by Bell's really compares
-Bell's Amber is a really mild beer, pretty similar to Dead Guy Ale. Nothing from Founders to compare it too.
-Bell's Double-Cream Stout is my favorite sweet stout. Again nothing comparable.

..That's enough for now  :D My point is that it's very close for me. I drink/buy more Founders for the most part, but I couldn't pick between the two.

Ended up saving this one til tonight (it's my Friday work-wise). Mostly CTZ, all sour pine. No hint of booze at 9%
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:11:21 PM by Andrew »
ieatemochilds

The Exterminator

« Reply #1963 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
Local grocery store had a 3rd year anniversary thing going on today, came back with all of this. Coasters and SN bottle opener were freebies.

This is awesome.

pancake man

« Reply #1964 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
Sunday Funday

This Sammy Adams glass held the full 22 oz

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1965 on: March 16, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
that sammy glass is cray.
 killed my growler of pliny the other night, yum.

nallid got me this for my bday and i shared it with him after a sesh today, didnt really taste much maple other than in the head that i poured too thick but it was a super good beer. Edit: Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA brewed with maple syrup

had this at dinner, pretty damn good and my wife's corned beef murdered my hunger.

Dale's Pale Ale at the most crucial of moments. soon after my baby came in the bathroom and took over my iphone to watch Yo Gabba Gabba.
 next up is Evil Twin Evil Cousin i think, or possibly 4 more Dale's haha. Cheers to Sunday being my Friday.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pancake man

« Reply #1966 on: March 17, 2014, 05:04:58 AM »
Tangar, install one of these:

it's brought me many a free hand and zero fear of feet spilling

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #1967 on: March 17, 2014, 06:29:57 AM »
visited the Potosi brewery in WISCO.  good beer and good bar/restaurant.

http://www.potosibrewery.com/
hardly art, hardly starving

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1968 on: March 17, 2014, 06:49:39 AM »
@Floop
That's pretty funny, I saw you mention Pasadena and Golden Road came to mind as an L.A. brewery.

i just thought it was funny someone was interested in them.  glad actually.  they do seem to get a lot of flack on Beer Advocate and in the craft scene in general.  but i think that's partly because their beers were not that great starting out, and also LA just gets flack in general from everywhere else

usually when people are interested in LA breweries it's Beachwood or Smog City (or any of the other South Bay ones - Monkish, Strand, El Segundo)

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1969 on: March 21, 2014, 01:47:33 AM »

Super bitter, started off good but flavor kinda died as I drank it more. Last one was better IMO.

I liked it. Plus it was free from work cause it wouldn't ring up. Can't beat that.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #1970 on: March 21, 2014, 03:29:28 AM »
had some Long Trails tonight. great brew. long time no drink.

pancake man

« Reply #1971 on: March 21, 2014, 04:59:53 AM »
Brewed yesterday. I was going to take more pictures, but it's a lot harder than one would think

It's another extra pale ale exclusively hopped with Galaxy

10 lbs of 2 row
 .5 lbs of cara-malt 20

1 oz at 60
1 oz at 10
1 oz at 05
1 oz at flame out

Super excited about this beer, but I definitely need a better propane burner. Took me almost 7 hours rather than the 4 or so that it should have taken
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:04:31 AM by pancake man »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #1972 on: March 21, 2014, 06:16:57 AM »
a pale ale you drink out of a pail eh? i'm in.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1973 on: March 21, 2014, 08:47:09 AM »
I don't think you quite understand the brewing process Rusty.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1974 on: March 21, 2014, 08:53:07 AM »
all of them'

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1975 on: March 22, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
last night we all had a taster of pliny the elder (bottled 3/3/14) and another one of stone's enjoy by 4/20/14 immediately after. i think i may be cursing inside The Church of Craft Beer, but the stone offering was the preferred choice, almost unanimously.
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

bricards1

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1976 on: March 23, 2014, 06:26:46 AM »
pabst

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #1977 on: March 23, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
Had the drink by 4/20/2014 last night. It's started off great and then got pretty meh and lost it's pizazz.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #1978 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
last night had logsdon seizoen bretta and almanac brandy barrel peche. the seizoen bretta was one of the nicest bretted saisons I've had. it definitely beats out boulevard's in my opinion. the almanac was great as always. good sourness, oak and fruit flavors. I'm really glad that stuff is easy to find.

Hannity

« Reply #1979 on: March 23, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
Albuquerque is like a little burgeoning beer mecca, I like living here. Only stuff worth drinking is La Cumbre, Marble or Sante Fe Brewing. Oh, 2nd St. Brewery has a nice Kolsch too, can't really find another homegrown Kolsch regularly on tap in the state from what I know.

Couple nights ago I introduced my underage friend to LC's Slice of Hefen (amazing yeasty unfiltered wheat ale) and SF's Saison 88 (one of the best pale ales i've had in a while).

My sister from NYC came out a while ago and tried Happy Camper and was hooked, she needs a care package of some a couple times a year now  ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:09:13 AM by Hannity »