Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249408 times)

max power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #2220 on: September 21, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »
i live off of Blazing World
would if I could, that shit is delicious.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #2221 on: September 21, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Any Pals try Founders Mosaic Promise or Bells new DIPAs Mars and The Oracle? Also Im really stoked for Sierras barrel aged Narwhal coming out at the end of October.
[close]

Do tell

i can't wait for BA Narwhal.  seems overdue.   Sierra is one of my favorite breweries but they have lagged a bit in the barrel aged department.  i'm confident that when they start putting more stuff out though it will be done right

as an aside, got to try the new more "sessionable" Black Tuesday that's coming out next month at The Bruery.  it's 11%.  called So Happens It's Tuesday.  people on beer advocate are already up in arms because of the SHIT acronym.  think Patrick Rue just has a sense of humor

anyway, got to try a coconut infused one (incredible), raisin and cacao infused (also incredible) and cherry vanilla (ok).  look forward to trying the base beer
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2222 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
i live off of Blazing World
[close]
would if I could, that shit is delicious.

they'll probably start shipping up north sooner or later i imagine.  they're doing really well from what i understand.  starting to get accounts with Trader Joe's in the San Diego area
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #2223 on: September 22, 2014, 05:35:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any Pals try Founders Mosaic Promise or Bells new DIPAs Mars and The Oracle? Also Im really stoked for Sierras barrel aged Narwhal coming out at the end of October.
[close]

Do tell
[close]

i can't wait for BA Narwhal.  seems overdue.   Sierra is one of my favorite breweries but they have lagged a bit in the barrel aged department.  i'm confident that when they start putting more stuff out though it will be done right

as an aside, got to try the new more "sessionable" Black Tuesday that's coming out next month at The Bruery.  it's 11%.  called So Happens It's Tuesday.  people on beer advocate are already up in arms because of the SHIT acronym.  think Patrick Rue just has a sense of humor

anyway, got to try a coconut infused one (incredible), raisin and cacao infused (also incredible) and cherry vanilla (ok).  look forward to trying the base beer

BA narwhal is going to be a heavy hitter. It gained 4% abv in the barrels. I'm hoping to see it here within the coming weeks.

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2224 on: September 23, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Do tell
[close]

i can't wait for BA Narwhal.  seems overdue.   Sierra is one of my favorite breweries but they have lagged a bit in the barrel aged department.  i'm confident that when they start putting more stuff out though it will be done right

as an aside, got to try the new more "sessionable" Black Tuesday that's coming out next month at The Bruery.  it's 11%.  called So Happens It's Tuesday.  people on beer advocate are already up in arms because of the SHIT acronym.  think Patrick Rue just has a sense of humor

anyway, got to try a coconut infused one (incredible), raisin and cacao infused (also incredible) and cherry vanilla (ok).  look forward to trying the base beer

Seems like Sierra Nevada releases a decent amount of Barrel stuff at the taprooms.  Lots of other one-offs that sound tasty, too.

I love The Oracle, but unfortunately none of the distributors got any Mars. Oracle is all tongue-puckering sour candy. Very little booze for 10%.

Still been on a serious Lagunitas Imperial Red kick, but I've been drinking a ton of Founders Centennial too. Think I just may prefer it to Two Hearted, not that I could say anything bad about it. Also, lots of SN Flipside.

Cheers
ieatemochilds

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2225 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
Haven't been paying much attention to this thread lately.

I'm surprised by how many people were stoked on the Beer Camp set. I honestly thought it was a huge letdown.  Other than the Double Latte and Maillard's Odyssey, I thought they were all sub-par.

Also surprised to see that no one has posted about Stone Xocoveza.  I've been admittedly cynical about Stone's collaboration beers recently considering that they've been releasing so many and they've all been fair-to-middling.  Xocoveza, however, was pretty god damn fantastic.  It's not on the level of Hunahpu, Mexican Cake, or Abraxas...but it's not too far off either.  My only real complaint was that the mouthfeel was a little thin. 

To the person that asked about Mosaic Promise: I picked up a 6 pack when I went to buy a case of Breakfast Stout.  I didn't have very high hopes going into it, but color me impressed.  I polished all of them off last week and went back for another 6 pack yesterday.  Reminds me of a more flavorful All Day IPA.  Really good stuff.

I have a case of Westbrook Gose coming to me this Friday.  Between that and the case of Breakfast Stout, I should be set for awhile.

Cheers, pals.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2226 on: September 24, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
I'm cynical of Stone in general. They could easily make out of the park home run beers, as seen by many of their Enjoy- By's, but they just try too hard with these collaborations and end up making mediocre beers. The SN autumn variety pack on the other hand is actually quite enjoyable. I really enjoyed the vienna lager

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2227 on: September 24, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
i don't usually bother with many of the Stone collabs or new IPAs (though i do usually pick up the Enjoy Bys), unless they're on tap and i want to try.  i do think Stone has been upping their barrel aging game though.  Fyodor's Classic and Southern Charred were amazing.  Also thought Woot 2.0 was fantastic, even though it was only aged for a few months

i'll be interested in anything they put out in that series (except if they make more Crime or Punishment)

Andrew

« Reply #2228 on: September 24, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
I'm cynical of Stone in general. They could easily make out of the park home run beers, as seen by many of their Enjoy- By's, but they just try too hard with these collaborations and end up making mediocre beers. The SN autumn variety pack on the other hand is actually quite enjoyable. I really enjoyed the vienna lager

To each his own. I really liked Unapologetic, and am happy to see them putting out so many different beers.  Their classics are some of my favorite beers,  and I can now buy a few of them in the Stone Mixed 12's, which also comes with a  few delicious black ales.

Speaking of Stone, I liked the 18th anniversary. Can't wait to try a hop-bursted brown showcasing  something besides Dorado.
ieatemochilds

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #2229 on: September 24, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
Speaking of Stone, I liked the 18th anniversary. Can't wait to try a hop-bursted brown showcasing  something besides Dorado.
that beer was such an immense let down.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2230 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »
I really enjoyed Stones 18th. A few beers I just picked up were Shipyards BA Smashed Pumpkin, Schlafly Pumpkin Ale(which for some reason is hard to get), Stone/Smuttnose Custers Last Stand, Big Muddy Galaxy IPA, Fireston Parabola and Velvet Merkin, and Green Flash Green Bullet.

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2231 on: September 25, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
Schlafly Pumpkin is good stuff, 8% too. So far I've only had that, Dogfish Punkin, Ichabod from New Holland, and Smuttynose Pumpkin. They're all pretty good, light on the spicing with the exception of Ichabod. I like that style of pumpkin ale.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2232 on: September 25, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Schlafly Pumpkin is good stuff, 8% too. So far I've only had that, Dogfish Punkin, Ichabod from New Holland, and Smuttynose Pumpkin. They're all pretty good, light on the spicing with the exception of Ichabod. I like that style of pumpkin ale.

If you like pumpkin ales definitely give Saucony Creeks Maple Mistress a try.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2233 on: September 25, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
So when you guys pop open a bomber do you always share them with someone or ever just down one on your on in a sitting? Also, I'm personally not that into pumpkin beers but pretty keen to try Pumking since my sister was raving about it. One of the few fruity beers I"m actually into is this one:

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2234 on: September 25, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
So when you guys pop open a bomber do you always share them with someone or ever just down one on your on in a sitting? Also, I'm personally not that into pumpkin beers but pretty keen to try Pumking since my sister was raving about it. One of the few fruity beers I"m actually into is this one:

I like to share bombers whenever I can, but usually I end up buying one that I personally want to drink by myself and take notes on. Then the rest of the night is just High Life. Also Pumking is pretty legit, but I thought Warlock was better overall. Much more balanced out, not in your face pumpkin.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2235 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
i usually drink bombers myself but it depends on the beer, the situation, and abv.  sharing is always better, but there's not always someone to share.  

IPA's i'll take down all day.  

for my higher abv bombers that are more rich stouts (like, over 12%) i usually always try to share.   i have beers that are 15% and over.  they are limiting for me because i don't have as many chances to break one out.  not exactly going to take down a Chocolate Rain by myself, but i will if i need to

i've done the wine stopper method people use (drink half, save for the next night) but i firmly believe the beer tastes like shit the next day.  it's highly compromised.  i think if you're going to open one you should plan on drinking it

on the pumpkin beer thread, if you can find it this is a pretty amazing one.  released about a month ago.  

"This is a beer made with real pumpkins. We hand-roasted over 500lbs of heirloom pumpkins from La Tercera Farms in Bodega Bay. The caramelized gourds were then added to our velvety American Barleywine and aged in brandy barrels for a year. Finally, we blended the barrel-aged beer with freshly brewed ale and added a delicate hint of pumpkin pie spices to round out this decadent autumn sipper."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:39:45 PM by floop »

Andrew

« Reply #2236 on: September 25, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Speaking of Stone, I liked the 18th anniversary. Can't wait to try a hop-bursted brown showcasing� something besides Dorado.
[close]
that beer was such an immense let down.

Haha, anything in particular you disliked? I'm not a big fan of Dorado, and I thought it tasted a little more golden than brown, but overall it was enjoyable for me. �
ieatemochilds

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2237 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
I usually share bombers with my girlfriend or just down them myself. Also floop thank for letting me know about that Almanac. Going to try and get one ASAP.

PumpkinEsc0bar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
  • cleaner than a broke dick dog
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2238 on: September 25, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
I don't live in Canada and it's totally not my style of beer but I was wondering if any Pals have had The Tom Green Beer?

Anyone care to check it out and let me know?

Fine Young Cannibal

« Reply #2239 on: September 25, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »
I actually just drank the Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin about an hour ago.  For someone that has a general disdain for pumpkin beers, this one was a winner.  I liked the fact that the rye and brandy barrels acted as a compliment to the base beer, rather than overpowering it completely.  Also had a nice warmth to it when it went down your throat.  Glad I picked up two.

Stoked that Almanac is finally making its way to NY.  So far I've only had the Heirloom Pumpkin, Farmer's Reserve Blackberry+Pluot, and the Dark Pumpkin Sour (the only one I didn't really care that much for).  I have the Cerise Sour Blond, Dogpatch Sour+Strawberry, and Farmer's Reserve Citrus on deck.  Really like what they've got going on.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2240 on: September 25, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
I actually just drank the Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin about an hour ago.  For someone that has a general disdain for pumpkin beers, this one was a winner.  I liked the fact that the rye and brandy barrels acted as a compliment to the base beer, rather than overpowering it completely.  Also had a nice warmth to it when it went down your throat.  Glad I picked up two.

Stoked that Almanac is finally making its way to NY.  So far I've only had the Heirloom Pumpkin, Farmer's Reserve Blackberry+Pluot, and the Dark Pumpkin Sour (the only one I didn't really care that much for).  I have the Cerise Sour Blond, Dogpatch Sour+Strawberry, and Farmer's Reserve Citrus on deck.  Really like what they've got going on.

Is Almanac available in Manhattan? If so I'll be stoked.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2241 on: September 25, 2014, 06:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I know Beer Boutique in Williamsburg has it.

Fine Young Cannibal

« Reply #2242 on: September 25, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
Any NY pals ever been to Torst?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2243 on: September 25, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
Yep, I've been to Torst.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2244 on: September 25, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
Any NY pals know what's good in the Poughkipsee area? I'm potentially moving out that way within the year, and want to know what's good for breweries

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2245 on: September 25, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if you strike out let me know kid.  can get some

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2246 on: September 26, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

if you strike out let me know kid.  can get some

Thanks man. I'm going to take a train in this weekend to get some more bBells, Clown Shoes, and hopefully Almanac. I found a place that would ship to NJ online but for 2 bottles it was 31.99 for shipping.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2247 on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »
You guys noticed I said that Beer Boutique in Williamsburg has the Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin right?

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2248 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
You guys noticed I said that Beer Boutique in Williamsburg has the Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin right?

Yes and I appreciate it but its a real bitch for me to get to Williamsburg from South Jersey.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2249 on: September 26, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
i was just sayin if kid can't get any i could.  i know Almanac sells pretty fast

don't get butthurt bro