Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249470 times)

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #2280 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
Two bottles of Double DBA arrived at my house today.  Currently drinking one right now.  The fact that they're no longer bottling this is fucking criminal.  I don't care what anyone says, this is my favorite barrel-aged FW beer. 

Are they really replacing it with Helldorado bottles?  because that might just be my only consolation.

Double DBA is underrated and nice that it's usually easier to find, but i still think Sucaba kicks it's ass. 
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2281 on: October 05, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »
velvet merkin is my favorite of their non-wild barrel aged beers.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #2282 on: October 05, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Two bottles of Double DBA arrived at my house today.  Currently drinking one right now.  The fact that they're no longer bottling this is fucking criminal.  I don't care what anyone says, this is my favorite barrel-aged FW beer. 

Are they really replacing it with Helldorado bottles?  because that might just be my only consolation.
[close]

Double DBA is underrated and nice that it's usually easier to find, but i still think Sucaba kicks it's ass. 

I have a few bottles of last years DBA and some of this years DBA still on the shelves, along with two or three Sucaba and Parabola that I've been slowly leaking out from a dark hidden closet. Trying to get Merkin and the Bretta Weisse soon as they get to the distributors up here. Fingers crossed.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2283 on: October 06, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »
Expand Quote
fuckin' a

[close]

Easily Southern Tier's best beer.

Really want to try this one. Tried Pumking the other day which is a little on the sweet side for me. My sister was telling me that Southern Tier's beers like this seem to pretty well all be on the sweet side and that this one literally tastes like Creme Brulee but still I really want to try it. Anyone know where to get it in NYC?

Picked up these the other day:

Also have a bottle of the Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin I bought 2 weeks ago but haven't had yet.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2284 on: October 06, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »

merkin is probably my least favorite actually, of the non wild barrel aged series

if it was like 12 dollars i'd buy more of it.  it's nice they offer a barrel ged stout that's more drinkable at 8.5, but for the same price as Parabola or Sucaba it doesn't make sense to me to me

in other news, i did go to Hanger 24 over the weekend and join the Barrel Roll membership.  it's kind of a gamble, but we'll see how it pans out
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:54:06 AM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2285 on: October 06, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Two bottles of Double DBA arrived at my house today.  Currently drinking one right now.  The fact that they're no longer bottling this is fucking criminal.  I don't care what anyone says, this is my favorite barrel-aged FW beer.  

Are they really replacing it with Helldorado bottles?  because that might just be my only consolation.
[close]

I used to prefer Sucaba over Parabola, but my palate must be changing because the last time I had it I was a little turned off by the dark fruit notes that it has.  Still a great beer, though.

Either way, excited to finally try Helldorado if the rumors are true.

Anyone ever try anything from La Cumbre?  I have a hookup in New Mexico that lives 10 minutes from the brewery, so he sends me fresh stuff from them pretty regularly.  Elevated IPA and Project Dank are the fucking TRUTH.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:21:51 PM by Fine Young Cannibal »

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2286 on: October 06, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »
i did a trade with a dude from New Mexico and he sent both of those as extras.   Project Dank blew my mind.  amazing shit

will definitely stop by there next time i'm in New Mexico

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2287 on: October 08, 2014, 05:31:06 PM »
My bro brought me back some Garrison from Halifax,  :D

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #2288 on: October 08, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »
I haven't drank for almost two years but this was my jam when I lived in Salt Lake. Local, 8.2%, cool label. The original artwork had the ram destroying the Wells Fargo building as well as the temple and the capitol. Wasatch brewing also had a box truck with the label as a decal the size of the whole truck too.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #2289 on: October 10, 2014, 05:56:24 AM »
I haven't drank for almost two years but this was my jam when I lived in Salt Lake. Local, 8.2%, cool label. The original artwork had the ram destroying the Wells Fargo building as well as the temple and the capitol. Wasatch brewing also had a box truck with the label as a decal the size of the whole truck too.

I want this beer. I just found out that not all states will be getting BA Narwhal due to some stupid law. Just heard I from the rep yesterday morning. Really bummed on that one.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2290 on: October 10, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
it might just be the states that don't allow sale of beer over 12%. pretty sure ohio is like that and a few others.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2291 on: October 11, 2014, 05:55:03 AM »
it might just be the states that don't allow sale of beer over 12%. pretty sure ohio is like that and a few others.

NJ isn't like that which is why I find it really odd it's one of the states not getting it.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2292 on: October 12, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Where did you hear this and any idea which states will see distro?

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2293 on: October 12, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »
La Cumbre's Elevated is great, I imagine the newer ones are just as good if not better.

'Tis the season. Sour I may have missed out on Harvest Ale, but fortunately got a pack of Backwoods. Fresh 4 packs of Wookey Jack made up for Dark Penance selling out so quickly (before I got some), and two week old Union Jack help a little about the Harvest. Picked up some Green Bullet and 3 week old All Day cans, too.
ieatemochilds

Fine Young Cannibal

« Reply #2294 on: October 12, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »
La Cumbre's Elevated is great, I imagine the newer ones are just as good if not better.

'Tis the season. Sour I may have missed out on Harvest Ale, but fortunately got a pack of Backwoods. Fresh 4 packs of Wookey Jack made up for Dark Penance selling out so quickly (before I got some), and two week old Union Jack help a little about the Harvest. Picked up some Green Bullet and 3 week old All Day cans, too.
Wait wut?

Where do you live?  Harvest Ale and Backwoods Bastard haven't hit NY yet, and I'm fairly certain that Backwoods is a November release.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #2295 on: October 12, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
VB. the best an aussie can get

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2296 on: October 12, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
try stone & wood pacific ale or feral hop hog. vb is shit.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2297 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:23 AM »
Where did you hear this and any idea which states will see distro?

Heard it directly from the Sierra rep. He said not every state will get it. PA is getting it.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2298 on: October 13, 2014, 11:56:09 AM »
heard it's releasing later this month

definitely going to be getting my hands on as many as i can

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2299 on: October 13, 2014, 01:17:36 PM »
heard it's releasing later this month

definitely going to be getting my hands on as many as i can
might have to head to the berkeley taproom to grab some.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2300 on: October 13, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
good call.  i'm sure they'll have it.  you guys are stoked to have that in the East Bay.  i wish they'd do one in LA

Andrew

« Reply #2301 on: October 13, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »
Where do you live?  Harvest Ale and Backwoods Bastard haven't hit NY yet, and I'm fairly certain that Backwoods is a November release.

St. Louis, neither have hit the IL side of the metro yet. I seem to recall some markets receiving it a little early last year, but I could be mistaken. Last year it showed up around the second week of November, but this year it showed up with Harvest.

ieatemochilds

Fine Young Cannibal

« Reply #2302 on: October 13, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Where do you live?  Harvest Ale and Backwoods Bastard haven't hit NY yet, and I'm fairly certain that Backwoods is a November release.
[close]

St. Louis, neither have hit the IL side of the metro yet. I seem to recall some markets receiving it a little early last year, but I could be mistaken. Last year it showed up around the second week of November, but this year it showed up with Harvest.

Well I must be wearing orthopedic shoes...

because I stand corrected.

Love Backwoods though.  Bought a case last year.  Still have some, but I might just have to do the same this year.

Currently drinking Track #8 from Lost Abbey.  A little underwhelmed, to be honest.  Was expecting more cinnamon and chile heat.  It's dominated by the bourbon, which isn't terrible...but I was hoping for more.  On the bright side: it drinks very easy for almost 14%.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:01:27 PM by Fine Young Cannibal »

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #2303 on: October 13, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
try stone & wood pacific ale or feral hop hog. vb is shit.

Very Best

Andrew

« Reply #2304 on: October 14, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
@Cannibal
Nice  ;D I would have loved to pick up a case this or any year, but the stuff has been super popular here since I started. Hard to pick between it and Sucaba, but it is one of my favorite bourbon aged beers. I drink a lot of Dirty Bastard, and every now and then I have to make a poor man's Backwoods

ieatemochilds

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2305 on: October 15, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
My cider is bubbling away. White Labs English Dry cider yeast on the left and White Labs Belgian Saison on the right

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2306 on: October 15, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
Damn Andrew you are lucky. Backwoods is my favorite beer. Just recently took a trip to my house up in Scranton PA. Came back with some Avery Rumpkin, Pum[ky]n, Bells Expedition stout, and Cigar City Maduro Brown which really caught me by surprise because I thought only Florida carried Cigar City. Today I just picked up a 4pk of Harvest Ale and I must say I'm not impressed. It smells like BO and doesn't taste that great.

Andrew

« Reply #2307 on: October 15, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
 ;D That pungent, sharp B.O. funk is the epitome of "dank" to me, and the flavor I'm after in that beer and in wet hopped beers. I can easily see why someone wouldn't care for it, for obvious reasons. Not sure if you've had their All Day, but it and others dry hopped with a lot of Simcoe give me a similar dank funk. Nothing compared to Harvest, though. I hope you enjoy the next one, or have an IPA loving friend  who hasn't tried it.

2014 Expedition Stout? We haven't gotten any '14 yet, nor Third Coast Old Ale for that matter.

I love Backwoods, too :) The official release is 11/3 per a Founders tweet, good luck!
ieatemochilds

Fine Young Cannibal

« Reply #2308 on: October 16, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
Picked up a 4 pack of Founders Harvest Ale today.  About half way through my first one.  I'm a little underwhelmed, to be honest.  It's a good beer, don't get me wrong, but there's nothing that really stands out about it to me.  I put it in the same tier as beers like Union Jack, Alesmith IPA, etc.: good beers, but somewhat run-of-the-mill when it comes to the style.

Had my first Velvet Merkin last night.  After hearing about its thin mouthfeel and having people tell me it's almost like a "session" barrel-aged stout, my hopes weren't too high going into it.  It turned out to be for the best because I was pleasantly surprised.  I was expecting much worse.  I thought it had some pretty strong barrel notes.  Reminded me a lot of the Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout.  It's thin and "sessionable" compared to Parabola, but you can't expect an 8.5% barrel-aged stout to be Parabola.  A winner in my book. 

In other news...my sour-hoarding is coming along nicely:

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2309 on: October 17, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »
Just had Schlaflys Tasmanian IPA and it is easily one of the top 3 IPAs I've ever had. It's absolutely delicious.