Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249475 times)

backagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #2400 on: November 22, 2014, 11:38:43 PM »
I'm in the Chicago burbs. My local craft brew bar got a keg of BCBS 14. Apparently a bunch of other local bars in the area got them too. Pretty psyched on getting to try before the Black Friday release. I've had 12, 13, and 14. 14 is by far the best year. It kind of tastes like 13 Backyard Rye oddly enough.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #2401 on: November 23, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »
I like BCBS in the bottle over it being on draft. I had the '12 and '13 and they didn't wow me like they did in the bottle. I'm going to try the '14 on draft once we get it at the bar and hopefully it will taste just as good as it does in the bottle to me.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2402 on: November 23, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
I have a '13 BCBS sitting in the fridge, don't know when I'm gonna drink it, but I will be drinking it soon

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #2403 on: November 23, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
not even going to bother trying to get any BCS this year. i got plenty of it the 4 1/2 years i lived in the midwest. always interested in the variants if i stumble across them, though.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
« Reply #2404 on: November 23, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
I'm in the Chicago burbs. My local craft brew bar got a keg of BCBS 14. Apparently a bunch of other local bars in the area got them too. Pretty psyched on getting to try before the Black Friday release. I've had 12, 13, and 14. 14 is by far the best year. It kind of tastes like 13 Backyard Rye oddly enough.

What bar is this?  I moved to Florida, but still nice to know about these places.

I had the Delirium Deliria beer last night.  It was good.  Imagine a drier Delirium Tremens and you're pretty close.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2405 on: November 24, 2014, 07:53:37 AM »
So i finally had one the other night - did not like it...it tasted like straight bourbon. Going to age the others and see if it changes the flavor.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2406 on: November 25, 2014, 03:56:01 AM »
Had a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA this weekend and it was phenomenal. Regular Sculpin IPA is great when it's fresh, but this was even better.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2407 on: November 25, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face ? link=topic=37201.msg2247117#msg2247117 date=1416844417
So i finally had one the other night - did not like it...it tasted like straight bourbon. Going to age the others and see if it changes the flavor.

Aging it will definitely change the flavor. Had a 2010 backwoods the other day a customer brought in and it was very mellow in the bourbon and smooth overall. I prefer it fresh with that very pungent bourbon taste with the hint of vanilla and dark fruits at the end.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2408 on: November 25, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »
Had a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA this weekend and it was phenomenal. Regular Sculpin IPA is great when it's fresh, but this was even better.
habanero sculpin is quite boss as well.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2409 on: November 26, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face ? link=topic=37201.msg2247117#msg2247117 date=1416844417
Expand Quote

[close]

Aging it will definitely change the flavor. Had a 2010 backwoods the other day a customer brought in and it was very mellow in the bourbon and smooth overall. I prefer it fresh with that very pungent bourbon taste with the hint of vanilla and dark fruits at the end.

Good to know, Stoop - I remember saying you went to Long Island looking for brews...this place is fucking unreal for beer selection - 300+, DeCiccos 21 Center St., Ardsley NY, 10502. It's about an hour north of the city.

Me and a friend usual skate the bowl at second nature in winter and then go to this place for brews afterword - get on that regiment.

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2410 on: November 26, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »
Maybe I'm soft, but Habanero Sculpin was too much for me.  I like beers with peppers in them (Xocoveza, Hunahpu, Mexican Cake, Bomb/Bible Belt), but Habanero Sculpin takes it a little too far for my liking.  A beer like that needs to come in 3 oz. bottles.

Grapefruit Sculpin, however, is fantastic.  They're gonna be releasing it in cans pretty soon.  The owner of one of the distributors I frequent told me that they're gonna make it a year-round release.  Not sure how much I trust him, but here's to wishful thinking.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2411 on: December 03, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=37201.msg2248648#msg2248648 date=1417023305
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good to know, Stoop - I remember saying you went to Long Island looking for brews...this place is fucking unreal for beer selection - 300+, DeCiccos 21 Center St., Ardsley NY, 10502. It's about an hour north of the city.

Me and a friend usual skate the bowl at second nature in winter and then go to this place for brews afterword - get on that regiment.

Didn't see this until today. Thank you for letting me know that place and spot ill check it out during my vacation. Now onto the beer. Just got this years BCBS, and I'm super let down. I was little weary with it considering it was bought out by Budweiser, but this was different. This years is a lower Abv and it tastes like straight Hershey's chocolate milk syrup. I'm saving one for a later date and hopefully it balances out an I'm not as dissapointed. Still on a huge backwoods kick. It's crazy how available it is this year. Picked up Founders Big Luscious which was pricey, some Southern Tier rum barrel aged Pumking, and Stone Master of Disguise. Btw Dogfish Beer Thousand is fucking delicious.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #2412 on: December 03, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
Maybe I'm soft, but Habanero Sculpin was too much for me.  I like beers with peppers in them (Xocoveza, Hunahpu, Mexican Cake, Bomb/Bible Belt), but Habanero Sculpin takes it a little too far for my liking.  A beer like that needs to come in 3 oz. bottles.

Grapefruit Sculpin, however, is fantastic.  They're gonna be releasing it in cans pretty soon.  The owner of one of the distributors I frequent told me that they're gonna make it a year-round release.  Not sure how much I trust him, but here's to wishful thinking.

i can see how you feel that way about Habanero Sculpin.  I actually like it, but can admit it's on the high end of the spice scale.  i'm a huge spice person and do like some spice beers (including the ones you mention) but i also know when it's gone too far (like with Crime and Punishment, which were undrinkable)..  to me with Hab Sculpin it's all about timing.  i wouldn't drink it as my first beer of the night because it will ruin your palette.  but as an ender, or combined with some mexican or bbq, it hits the spot. 

semi related, i just read they're going to start canning grapefruit sculpin.  i will be buying that by the case
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

pancake man

« Reply #2413 on: December 03, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Must be nice getting fresh sculpin haha. Any idea if Brother Thelonius will age well?

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2414 on: December 03, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
it'll age fine, but I'd just drink it. there's better belgian strong darks and quad's age better.

I will be purchasing copious amounts of grapefruit sculpin.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2415 on: December 04, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »
my precious

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2416 on: December 04, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
my precious

It's really good, but in retrospect I wouldn't go crazy looking for it again.  I actually liked Backyard Rye more, believe it or not.

Coffee, on the other hand...whoa mama.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2417 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
i'm looking forward to trying it. 

i'd like to try coffee again this year to see if i feel the same, but last year i wasn't as crazy about it as everyone else is.  to me it was too coffee forward.  like, all i got was coffee

i just had Avery Tweak on the other hand and was blown away.  for my money, it's better than BCBCS.  probably the best beer i had all year actually (but expensive)

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2418 on: December 04, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »
Tweak hits next week in jersey. I'm so pumped to get it. Avery is one of the best breweries.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
« Reply #2419 on: December 05, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
Found a store nearby that has some good craft beers so I splurged in Brooklyn Brewery's Local 2.  It's pretty awesome.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2420 on: December 06, 2014, 08:03:45 AM »
The bar I work at is tapping BA santas little helper and I'm pretty stoked about it. Also any jersey dudes looking for something to do come on New Year's Day at 10am. All our food is all you can eat and were tapping all the BCBSs, two different years of Dogfishhead World Wide Stout, Dogfishhead 120 minute, Bruery Sucre, Bruery White Oak, Lost Abbey Agave Maria, Founders KBS, Founders Backwoods, and much more. Maloneys Mattawan.

pancake man

« Reply #2421 on: December 06, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
Holy Jesus that's going to be sick

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #2422 on: December 09, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
The bar I work at is tapping BA santas little helper and I'm pretty stoked about it. Also any jersey dudes looking for something to do come on New Year's Day at 10am. All our food is all you can eat and were tapping all the BCBSs, two different years of Dogfishhead World Wide Stout, Dogfishhead 120 minute, Bruery Sucre, Bruery White Oak, Lost Abbey Agave Maria, Founders KBS, Founders Backwoods, and much more. Maloneys Mattawan.

I'm from Jersey and this is awesome, I'm going to have to consider bailing on my plans.

Also, I'm sure I've missed it in previous pages but is anyone within reach of some heady topper and willing to hook a brother up?

pancake man

« Reply #2423 on: December 10, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I think I prefer regular narwhal to BA narwhal

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2424 on: December 10, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »

Fuck really? my Local finally got it in and I just came on here to post that I finally got some.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2425 on: December 10, 2014, 01:07:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm from Jersey and this is awesome, I'm going to have to consider bailing on my plans.

Also, I'm sure I've missed it in previous pages but is anyone within reach of some heady topper and willing to hook a brother up?

Yeah man its going to be awesome and whats even better is I don't have to work the bar that day so Im going to just drink all day there.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2426 on: December 10, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck really? my Local finally got it in and I just came on here to post that I finally got some.

i wouldn't say i like regular better, but i was disappointed with it, to be completely honest.  one of my most anticipated beers of the year.  i'm a big Sierra fanboy.  love Narwhal.  love BA stouts.   for me there just wasn't that much barrel.  it's very subtle.  it's there.  and it's a smooth beer.  balanced.  but when you put it up against Parabola, Bourbon County Stout etc..  it doesn't hold up (for the price)

i actually have 4 more.  i will drink them.  and enjoy them.  but wish i hadn't gotten so many before trying it

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2427 on: December 10, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i wouldn't say i like regular better, but i was disappointed with it, to be completely honest.  one of my most anticipated beers of the year.  i'm a big Sierra fanboy.  love Narwhal.  love BA stouts.   for me there just wasn't that much barrel.  it's very subtle.  it's there.  and it's a smooth beer.  balanced.  but when you put it up against Parabola, Bourbon County Stout etc..  it doesn't hold up (for the price)

i actually have 4 more.  i will drink them.  and enjoy them.  but wish i hadn't gotten so many before trying it

Thanks for the feedback. Wish I had bought 2 bottles instead of 4 now.

pancake man

« Reply #2428 on: December 11, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
It's funny cause I thought the barreling was a little aggressive. Hands down though my favorite bourbon barrel aged beer to date is FW Double DBA. So I would say you're gonna be fine Stoops, maybe cellar one or two for science

white rapper

• Rep: -80
« Reply #2429 on: December 11, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
beer makes you fat which overall effects your ability to skateboard at your peak levels.