Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147810 times)

grimcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
I've met a ton, and I always get stoked to meet them because I think it's neat to talk to someone who actually skates for a living. I just think the concept of it is a mind fuck. A quick one:

When the Four Star guys came out here, I walked up to Mike:
Me: "Thanks for coming down here. We really appreciate it... everyone's really glad to see you guys."
Mike: "Man, thank you for having us."
Me: "Ha... no really, we appreciate you for coming down."

Before they left, BA picked up their empty beercans and threw 'em away. The whole crew was just really fucking nice. I was really impressed with how they interacted with the kids. Good weather and everybody was just in a real good mood.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
there was an enjoi demo at sayreville park in nj. the park was packed so we went across the street to some ledge. we were pretty much done, sitting around and the enjoi dudes rolled up. clark and jose were the only ones skating it (clark does nosegrind 180, and jose does a smith in the enjoi vid). all of them were really cool especially caswell and tony manfre. we were trading stories about dumb shit weve done when we were stoned.

i used to see kerry, pete, kevin taylor and jimmy gorecki a bunch when i lived in philly. all super nice.

i met montoya at that same spot, its gone now right? toya was tryin a switych back five o back one eighty out and ernie torres was pissed cause he wanted to go home...

eldride was chillin at a game of skate once with a cig beer and pizza was psyched i had on his shoes

Nas

« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2009, 08:15:54 PM »
Met Devine on the Girl/Chocolate tour Badass Meets Dumbass. Got a picture with him, and he was cool as shit. The only dudes I really conversed with were him, MJ, Carrol, and Scott Johnson. Meza was kind of stand offish, Scott Johnson was cool as fuck.

Met Koston at the same demo, and he was hella quiet. My friend tried to chat him up about leaving eS, but he wasn't having it at all.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »
o yeah saw kelly hart once and he was askin me where the parties were at

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »
saw corey duffel at the concord mall the other day, he was with some chick and if you didn't know who he was, you wouldn't have known he skated. dude was wearing some giant leather boots and i shook his hand and noticed he had a ring on every finger. nice guy though.

SZA

• Rep: 9
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
Me and my friends were sittin at Macba smokin a few spleefs and havin a few scoops, I think it was for the silver vid but P-rod, Jereme Rodgers, Nyjah Houstan and Biebel where just skatin around and Biebel came up to us and asked for a 'sparkler', I didn't know wat the fuck he was on about until he gave the ole hand gesture for a lighter, i'd never heard anyone call a lighter a 'sparkler' before. I was pretty stoked though. Pro skaters always seem taller than you think they are.

After that they all moved to the back and Jereme Rodgers did a sw bs flip down the four block and P-rod did a fs big heel, both had already been done though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
taller?

never forget seeing stevie cab, jim theibaud, and tommy g. when i was 13....I was taller than all of them....

reginald

• Rep: 4
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2009, 07:17:31 AM »
2001 reynolds greco boulala
totally fucked up, chugging jagermeister bottles
haha
it was fun.
It's Friday?!

Stephen.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »
I saw Biebel, Mike Mo, Jeron Wilson and Torey Pudwill at some Matix Europe tour event thing last year. Only talked to Biebel and Jeron though, seemed like pretty cool guys.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2009, 07:53:47 AM »
Forgot this one, I was really drunk at some demo and Stefan Janoski was skating around and I yelled 'HEY STEFANNNN' in a really regular voice. He looked at me really awkwardly and waved. Good times.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2009, 10:52:31 AM »
Someone mentioned Pete Ramondetta being dope. I have to agree with that, skated mini with him once and he was a really friendly guy and the dude fucking destroys mini ramp. There was like a 2 foot extension and he was doing ollie up to back nose blunts on it.

FredGnarly?

• Rep: -3
  • what's the deal honeybunz?
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »
First pro I ever saw in person was Brian Anderson the first time I ever went to third and army, but I was too scared to go near him.
Silas is the first pro I'v ever actually met. Really nice dude

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
one of the first pro's i met was karl watson. he just walked up to me at union square in sf and gave me the board i learned kickflips on. it was an interlocking expedition one board.

Also one of the first pros i met was Trujillo when he was 16 at Santa Rosa park. that shit blew my fucking mind.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »
during the Hot Chocolate Tour, the dudes over at Crailtap set up a "Hot Chocolate Phone" where anyone can call in and ask anyone on Chocolate whatever they wanted.

I asked Marc Johnson what his Friendster URL was, and he fuckin' hung up on me. Since then, i've had a hard time sitting through any of his video parts.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
That's because Marc Johnson is the biggest dickhead in skateboarding.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:45 AM »
at a nike demo some kid wanted stefan janoski to sign his cigarette pack, so stefan wrote, dont smoke kid, on it the kid got all pissed and threw the pack at him

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
adam alfaro was sick too he gave me like 3 hats and 2 shirts

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
- I saw someone from Alien Workshop (I won't blow his cover) trade two Alien decks for a pair of Chukka Lows, even though he rides for another shoe company). Real shit.

I think stuff like that happens all the time. Even though a pro rides for certain brands they often wear other stuff when not skatin

citycity

• Rep: -98
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
I overheard Mike Taylor at our local park talking about how the San Marcos rails were de-knobbed about seven or eight years ago.  So my friends and I went up to SB to skate them and an hour after we got there Atiba, Ellington, Koston, and a bunch of kids from the park showed up.  Koston was filming the 360 flip noseblunt for Yeah Right.  It was pretty cool, but the thing I remember most is Ellington killing it on flat, he was super consistent.  Mike Barker killed it that day, as well as Jesse Jenkins.  Also we took Zach Wagner up there and he was super stoked to be skating with Koston, I remember he was trying to back smith the rail or something.  Where are you Zach.

Keirabug

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »
Austin Stephens is even more dreamy in person. :-*

Sidewayslurkzine

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »
i was at a toy demo and i bought a new board and showed it to ed cuz it was his pro model and he said "sweet!  now im 10 cents richer!"  the whole toy crew was nice and awesome, and we were throwing around j-lays fedora and it landed on eds head, pretty funny
met bobby worrest at an es demo and he is really nice too

spare change

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
I think it was 2003 , the first year of the bayview rumble tradeshow in sf, i got to go to a party at some bar/club that kent from ftc owned and met too many dudes. huf,reese forbes,matt field,satva,scott bourne,tnt,brad johnson,john igei,dan wolfe,too many others to list, everyone was really cool, such a good experience. Having it be my first time in California and basically having never met anyone I looked up to in videos, it was pretty mind blowing.
I remember getting up super early and bombing hills, i was dragging my foot and i look back and i see some guy with a coffee smashing, he waved as he went past, it was dennis busenitz. Probably doing 30+ mph.Pretty sick.

citycity

• Rep: -98
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:31 PM »
saw bobby worrest on the A subway the other day.

juja

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
Meza was kind of stand offish,

really ? you wouldnt think it....

« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
The first pro I ever met was Colby Carter back when I still lived in Arizona. It was right after he got his board out on H-Street. I just ran across this video of some more recent stuff and am posting it for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy. This footage is from 2008 I believe. Looks like he is still going to work.

jrock

« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »
The first pro I ever met was Colby Carter back when I still lived in Arizona. It was right after he got his board out on H-Street. I just ran across this video of some more recent stuff and am posting it for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy. This footage is from 2008 I believe. Looks like he is still going to work.

holy shit, he's still killing it.  what is he, pushing 40 now?

clamy

« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2009, 12:41:14 AM »
i seen chima furgeson once, but he didn't skate and seemed pretty pissed cause he got to the park and everyone had left to go skate the city.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2009, 03:08:28 AM »
has anyone ever met louie? i always wonder what hed be like in person like if hes really that crazy

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2009, 09:16:03 AM »
drunks aren't always fun...

J_Rog

« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »
has anyone ever met louie? i always wonder what hed be like in person like if hes really that crazy
I have, and he is.