Author Topic: Motorcycles  (Read 56032 times)

ALABAMAMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
Re: Motorcycles
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2014, 07:10:04 AM »
http://haints69.blogspot.com/

If anybody wants to chop and drink beer hit up Haints in downtown birmingham al.

some MAMA TRIED bike show photos from a few weeks ago in milwaukee in the blog

kinky john

• Rep: 39
  • I do not spook easily
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Fucking finicky British bikes.
Constantly skinned knuckles are all part of the charm! Trying to persuade my old boy to buy this

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikeshtml/5851mch.html
Quote from: lipscantgo on April 15, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Females now know to NEVER text Jereme before breakfast. He laid it down.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2014, 10:17:37 AM »

Woooooo! Nice bike.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
  • (formerly mex.ceferino)
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »
what's the farthest you've traveled?
i constantly come and go from san diego to imperial valley/ mexico (around 120 miles), that's it
i'm graduating from college this 16 and i'm thinking about riding solo to SF for few days afterwards and visit some non-skate friends.
moto general tune up/ check up aside, i would appreciate some words of wisdom from some experienced fellow slap pals
the road, my bike, heads up, anything will be appresh.

any bay area dudes, i'll buy you a beer or two once im there  :)

it's an 06 sporty 1200cc by the way if that matters  (pretty stock at the moment, but stoked nonetheless)

thanks

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
I rode out to Joshua Tree from Orange County. That's the farthest I've gone but I've been wanting to go up to Big Sur and to SF. My buddy's claiming a trip up to Oregon but seeing as he doesn't have a bike right now, that probably won't happen for a while.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »
that's around the same distance I've ever done many times as well over here. Oregon sounds super rad and fucking eternal, it gets me psyched thinking of it
how big is your engine? my 1200 feels a bit forced and shaky when it goes a bit beyond 90, that's why i hesitated very long rides in the past but i'm feeling like growing a pair and just going for it

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
mine's only 750 but I'd probably pussy foot up the 1 a large portion of the journey, go through Big Sur and up the coast.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2014, 01:48:17 PM »
that's around the same distance I've ever done many times as well over here. Oregon sounds super rad and fucking eternal, it gets me psyched thinking of it
how big is your engine? my 1200 feels a bit forced and shaky when it goes a bit beyond 90, that's why i hesitated very long rides in the past but i'm feeling like growing a pair and just going for it

Should be heavy enough going up the 1 with the wind, but yeah I would just cruse it, take your time. You arent going 90 on that road any way unless you are on a fucking R1 with a deathwish or something.

any bay area dudes, i'll buy you a beer or two once im there  :)

Fuck yeah.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
thanks guise !

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead

I bought an old 2 stroke junker to play with

Its a 92 RMX250.. it hasn't been started for over a year so I am hoping it doesn't need a full engine rebuild.

I just cleaned/rebuilt the carburetor and changed the transmission oil...  the tank is full of rust, so an ill fitting inline filter will have to do until I get some more time to stick some hanasakuG in there an clean it.

Finished putting it all back together last night... going to get some fuel today and see if it starts

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #220 on: July 04, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
↑Noice! Certainly brings back memories of being a kid and being stoked on all those Japanese trail bikes (I had an XR for the record).
Cool that your son is helping you too ... I actually recently got rid of the harley because a) I have a family now and b) I wasn't really riding it due to a). My wife isn't really anti-motorbikes or anything so I'll eventually get another when he grows up but I'm really grateful that my dad taught me how to ride when I was a kid (he bought me my first bike when I was 4) so I'm kinda conflicted...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:16:46 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2016, 01:35:14 AM »

Woooooo! Nice bike.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. Cool that this bike was one of the last posted, I have a Matchless G80s which is practically the same bike with a few different specs like jampot suspension instead of rigid frame, higher gear ratios for road use and some other bits and pieces. This is a sweet example. 

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2016, 09:19:52 PM »
↑Noice! Certainly brings back memories of being a kid and being stoked on all those Japanese trail bikes (I had an XR for the record).
Cool that your son is helping you too ... I actually recently got rid of the harley because a) I have a family now and b) I wasn't really riding it due to a). My wife isn't really anti-motorbikes or anything so I'll eventually get another when he grows up but I'm really grateful that my dad taught me how to ride when I was a kid (he bought me my first bike when I was 4) so I'm kinda conflicted...

Japanese trail bikes are great... especially two strokes...

I got the engine started at 6 this morning (my neighbours are going to be stoked when I start riding to work every morning)
went for a quick ride round the block and realized that the brakes don't work... have to change the fluid on the weekend...
and need to fiddle with the carby a bit more....

My son loves my other bike he makes me push him round the block every weekend numerous times... although he is not the best assistant... being 1 and a half his attention span is rather short (he normally just runs around in the shed drawing on the walls)

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
riding a bike in L.A. is beyond gnarly
[close]
[close]

i've been wanting to get a bike but i live in LA and don't necessarily want to die.  if it weren't for other drivers, and shitty roads it might be more doable.   when i see bikes cruising through the middle of traffic it does make my morning commute seem more appealing

nice bike HATE.  that's pretty much my 1st choice for what i'd want to get (except in black)

Haven't gone through the entire thread, but I daily drive a motorcycle in LA. It is not that bad, but I don't know anything different. Riding a motorcycle in LA is the best thing ever for the following reasons:

- The weather is always nice (except some mornings it gets into the 30s and 40s in the winter, so warm weather gear is crucial. Windchill at 17 degrees for an hour commute is not fun).
- Spectacular roads. You'll want to take the scenic route. All the canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains offer incredible twisties with practically zero intersections. It's like a motorcycle skatepark. Also, Angeles Crest Hwy is great. So is Glendora Mountain Road and surrounding areas. Experiencing these places on a motorcycle is so different than going by car.
- Access to HOV lanes.
- Access to Express Lanes (which are almost always empty)
- Lane Splitting legal. You get everywhere twice as fast.
- Park anywhere the hell you want. You can park between cars and not pay. I never have to think about parking ever, making everything easy. I can go anywhere, no matter how busy it is, and have the best parking spot possible instantly.

Really man, do it. If you are thinking about it, you're ready. Take the MSF course and get cheaper insurance rates. Been riding every day for a year now and still not sick of it at all. My commute is the best part of my day! Not the bane of my existence. Every morning I go outside and see my bike sitting there waiting for me is like Christmas day over and over again.

ScreamingHand

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
On the beachside combing the sand

daytona bikeweek '16

BMCsteve

« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
My 2012 Sporty

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
My 2012 Sporty

Now I miss my sporty... :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:36:58 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #227 on: August 19, 2016, 06:28:52 AM »
just bought this thing off craigslist for a mere $400 with paperwork. dirt dreams gonna come true...

good come sausage

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »
I have been looking to get a bike for a while now and it looks like this will finally be the year to pull the trigger. Fiance is going to pay for the MSC for christmas. The thing is I am short like 5'7-5'8 short and only weigh 140 on a good day. Most bikes I like have a seat height of about 30-32". Ive been looking at the yamaha sr400 and bikes like it. anyone have any suggestions of bikes like the yamaha sr400 that might fit me or any other suggestions about being a smaller human tryin to ride a bike besides getting a smaller seat?

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
I have been looking to get a bike for a while now and it looks like this will finally be the year to pull the trigger. Fiance is going to pay for the MSC for christmas. The thing is I am short like 5'7-5'8 short and only weigh 140 on a good day. Most bikes I like have a seat height of about 30-32". Ive been looking at the yamaha sr400 and bikes like it. anyone have any suggestions of bikes like the yamaha sr400 that might fit me or any other suggestions about being a smaller human tryin to ride a bike besides getting a smaller seat?

the newer SR400's are cool, a lot of builders take those and make very nice trackers out of them. an older SR500 would be a fun bike too. The Suzuki TU250x is a cool new cafe style bike with a low seat. for the most part, i don't know dick about newer bikes though.

get yourself an old CB350 or an older yamaha or something. they've got better engines than the newer ones, no bullshit. i weigh 170 and am 5' 11" and have plenty of space on my CB360.
good come sausage

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the newer SR400's are cool, a lot of builders take those and make very nice trackers out of them. an older SR500 would be a fun bike too. The Suzuki TU250x is a cool new cafe style bike with a low seat. for the most part, i don't know dick about newer bikes though.

get yourself an old CB350 or an older yamaha or something. they've got better engines than the newer ones, no bullshit. i weigh 170 and am 5' 11" and have plenty of space on my CB360.

hey thanks for the information man. Ive been looking at the suzuki tu25ox as well because it seemed like a good fit. i also really like the moto guzzi v7ii. as far as old yamahas go i like the really oldies like the yamaha ya 3 and the gx

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

hey thanks for the information man. Ive been looking at the suzuki tu25ox as well because it seemed like a good fit. i also really like the moto guzzi v7ii. as far as old yamahas go i like the really oldies like the yamaha ya 3 and the gx

I have an 2004 SR400 in my shed awaiting repairs.
Fun to ride around on but they aren't the most powerful machines in the world and being a big single you get pretty sore from the vibrations after long rides... that being said I still like the little thing

Heather Chandler

« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »
I've been riding for just a bit over 2 years now.  I currently have a 2013 Yamaha FZ8 that I use as a commuter, back road bike, and short haul tourer (2-3 days/sub 1000 miles).  It works pretty well for weekend rides to the Oregon Coast, but I do want to upgrade in the next year, or two, to a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200.  As it is a way better tourer and can handle fire road/forest service road explorations.  If anyone is hesitant on getting a bike, I'd say go for it.  As long as you have good instincts and aren't a complete idiot with the risks you take, you should be fine. 

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:50 AM »
I'm about to call and sign up to take the beginners MSF course and hopefully get my endorsement

How difficult/easy is it? I'm not completely oblivious to the principles of operating a motorcycle since I drove a manual car for a few years and I ride a bicycle (relatively) frequently.

Probably going to order a cheap helmet since they don't provide them for some reason

Riding season's about winding down so plenty of time for me to save up for a bike+gear come next spring/summer.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
I'm about to call and sign up to take the beginners MSF course and hopefully get my endorsement

How difficult/easy is it? I'm not completely oblivious to the principles of operating a motorcycle since I drove a manual car for a few years and I ride a bicycle (relatively) frequently.

Probably going to order a cheap helmet since they don't provide them for some reason

Riding season's about winding down so plenty of time for me to save up for a bike+gear come next spring/summer.

my MSF class they provided helmets. get a bilt helmet off cyclegear or something, you can usually score a 3/4 helmet for a good price.

it's pretty easy, and it's good for you. helps you mentally prepare for riding even more than you could imagine. 100% worth it.

buy an old honda. or a triumph. ride old shit.
good come sausage

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »

The course is easy and you're going to have fun taking it, just pay attention to what they say and don't do anything stupid.

I'm going to disagree with Concerned Parent but only because I did exactly that when I started out. I bought a leather jacket, some Levi's, a 3/4 helmet, and army surplus gloves and called it good on gear. Got a 1978 Honda CB550 for a first bike.

Maintenance on vintage bikes is annoying as hell if you don't have the mechanic skills or you really just want to focus on riding.
After low siding twice on a Harley, I got proper gear: full face helmet, full armored jacket, armored pants, armored boots, and proper gloves. You can still get fucked up in the right gear, but not nearly as bad as without it. And 40% of head injuries on a motorcycle happen to the face. Research the gear, research your first bike, make an informed decision to save yourself time/money down the road.

This is worth a read: https://rideapart.com/articles/crash-tested-stylish-safety-gear

But that's just, like, my opinion.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »
Full face helmets FTW; sure you may not look like the hardest dude out there but none of that will matter if you fall.
My dad ALWAYS taught me gloves/ boots/ jacket should be bare minimum and while I didn't always wear boots, I would never get on my bike with gloves or a jacket. Speaking of my dad, he just bought a 2015 bonneville t100 and DAMN! it's a nice looking bike. Looks like I still won't ride for a few years but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my sporty :'(

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: September 02, 2016, 06:31:31 AM »
bilt 3/4's are only $29. that's why i mentioned it.

my kit:

biltwell gringo
RSD tracker jacket w/armor
saving up joesjunk $$$ for some saint jeans
eastland 8" boots

if you're gonna full blown do the riding thing, get the right gear.

and yeah if you just wanna ride shell out the cash for a newer bike. or buy an old honda and join the occult of working on your bike weekly.
good come sausage

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #238 on: September 02, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »

Sorry for the bad pic. I used to have an '85 Honda Rebel, sold it last year. The perfect starter bike, they say. Was inspired by Max Schaaf's 4Q blog, made a comment that I couldn't afford a bike and someone said it was possible, just check online. So I did and eventually found this. It needed repairs and even though insurance was cheap, I wasn't riding it all that much. Sounds lame but I didn't like shifting up and down all the time either. I'd drive it at night to avoid traffic. I have my full motorcycle license as well. It was difficult but fun, I'd like to get another motorcycle, or a Stella automatic scooter.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #239 on: September 02, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
Full face helmets FTW; sure you may not look like the hardest dude out there but none of that will matter if you fall.
My dad ALWAYS taught me gloves/ boots/ jacket should be bare minimum and while I didn't always wear boots, I would never get on my bike with gloves or a jacket. Speaking of my dad, he just bought a 2015 bonneville t100 and DAMN! it's a nice looking bike. Looks like I still won't ride for a few years but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my sporty :'(

Full Face Helment yes. And no, you actually look fucking sick if you get a cool helmet in my opinion. I have a biltwell gringo as well, and i think it looks cooler than any open face helmet. I also have biltwell goggles and the two go together really well. There are a lot of ugly helmets out there though. Just get a simple retro styled one and you're fine. My friends that ride call me a hipster for my helmet but I don't care, theirs are ugly.

Also your dad is super cool for getting a t100!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:22:31 AM by Casey Jones »