Author Topic: Motorcycles  (Read 56080 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Motorcycles
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
So I called the only place in town offering MSF courses right now, it's through one of the local dealerships - was quoted $299.00 for the two day beginners, plus the price of a helmet comes out to about $400 total

Fuck. That.

I know for a fact that the community college has the course for $50.00 but they're not doing it until next spring. Guess I'll wait.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2016, 10:58:29 PM »
So I called the only place in town offering MSF courses right now, it's through one of the local dealerships - was quoted $299.00 for the two day beginners, plus the price of a helmet comes out to about $400 total

Fuck. That.

I know for a fact that the community college has the course for $50.00 but they're not doing it until next spring. Guess I'll wait.

it quickly pays for itself with the insurance savings. insurance companies give you a big break for completing an accredited MSF course. which is good for life. do it.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
Expand Quote

Fuck. That.

[close]

it quickly pays for itself with the insurance savings. insurance companies give you a big break for completing an accredited MSF course. which is good for life. do it.

yeah mine was $350. it's gonna cost you money too to do your road test so honestly in the end, you're dropping bread to be able to ride.

i pay $70 a year to keep my bike insured. believe me it's worth it. these guys will teach you more than you can imagine for riding-wise and mentally. i know in NY they're trying to make it mandatory to get a license here.

also, don't know if i've ever posted a picture of my ride but this is my daily:

good come sausage

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Fuck. That.

[close]

[close]

yeah mine was $350. it's gonna cost you money too to do your road test so honestly in the end, you're dropping bread to be able to ride.

i pay $70 a year to keep my bike insured. believe me it's worth it. these guys will teach you more than you can imagine for riding-wise and mentally. i know in NY they're trying to make it mandatory to get a license here.

also, don't know if i've ever posted a picture of my ride but this is my daily:

so beautiful! do you commute to work on her? ever have any problems? I've been thinking about getting a late 70s cb550 or cb750 but I'm scared of ending up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere (I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere on my bike).

Would love to hear your experiences as a vintage bike owner (good and/or bad). Most of the articles I read online are heavily biased one way or the other.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Fuck. That.

[close]

[close]

also, don't know if i've ever posted a picture of my ride but this is my daily

[close]

so beautiful! do you commute to work on her? ever have any problems? I've been thinking about getting a late 70s cb550 or cb750 but I'm scared of ending up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere (I spend a lot of time in the middle of nowhere on my bike).

Would love to hear your experiences as a vintage bike owner (good and/or bad). Most of the articles I read online are heavily biased one way or the other.

haha thanks man! appreciate it. i ride 2-3 days to work a week and to be honest, other than one small electrical freak-out where everything seemed to stop working because a couple connections came loose, the thing has been nothing but a dream for me. it runs really well and i've gone on 250 mile trips on it and never had an issue other than physically cracking a whole muffler in half.

as all i know are older bikes (my father is the owner of 3), they're easy to work on, fun to hang out around, parts aren't expensive, and they're just a blast...that being said they are 40 year old behemoth assholes and do sometimes decide that they don't want to be your friend. old brits will do this. triumphs, BSA's...i have friends who ride them and they're fun as fuck and shake you to high heavens but usually something catastrophic happens after you've planned your 150 mile camping trip with your friends. that being said, all these old bikes need attention, granted any bike you ride should deserve the attention every time you get on it.

if you want to get into it, do your research. find a good year of the bike you're looking for. A 550, I'd say a 75 or 78. A 750, anything with a single overhead cam is not only more reliable but more sought after, pretty much '77 and earlier. don't buy one from some guy purely because it's cheap. buy from an original owner with paperwork and make sure it's running. i bought mine not running and missing a bunch of parts and i lucked out hard when i finally got it fired up. honestly, i wouldn't pay more than $2000 for a running one of either a 750 or a 550, in pristine condition. anyone asking for more is A) probably too stubborn to barter with you and B) knows the right idiot will one day stumble along and fork over the cash without batting an eye.

so yes. i've heard hell stories. but i've also heard amazing ones. i have nothing but awesome memories on mine so far. one of my buddies has a 550 and the gaskets leak like hell and he's doing a full change out as we speak. one of my buddies has an old yamaha that the exhaust falls off of every other time he rides it. but they're fun as all hell to ride, they sound amazing, they get a lot of attention, and you get a lot of satisfaction and knowledge after a few months of wrenching on these bad boys. i say go for it. if you need help finding one shoot me a message and where you're located and i'll do my best to shoot you a couple local craigslist ad's that seem like worthy bikes for the challenge (this goes for anyone interested).
good come sausage

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2016, 01:25:05 PM »
So.. I'm going to California next week and I realized I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm staying for 2 months so I figured I'd buy a bike and sell it before I go home.. Could anybody clarify a few things for me though?

- Where do I even get a bike? I imagined craigslist would be stacked but it's not.. I wanna spend 2500$ tops, so maybe that's the problem? Would I be better off going to a dealership?

- What models are the most popular in the US? Preferably over 600cc's.

- What do I do about insurance? Any tips?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
So.. I'm going to California next week and I realized I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm staying for 2 months so I figured I'd buy a bike and sell it before I go home.. Could anybody clarify a few things for me though?

- Where do I even get a bike? I imagined craigslist would be stacked but it's not.. I wanna spend 2500$ tops, so maybe that's the problem? Would I be better off going to a dealership?

well well well...good luck.

$2500 is a tight budget. you may be able to get a higher mileage ADV bike or something from a dealer...but to be honest i don't know dick about bikes made after 1990.

get something reliable, if you really don't know what you're doing or aren't handy. don't buy an old piece because it looks cool, what are you in the market for? you like vintage? enduro / dirtbike? sport bike? cruiser?

popular ones are old hondas, adventure bikes like the KLR/Honda XL, newer triumphs, older triumphs, harleys...the list goes on and on

insurance hit up dairyland auto. I've heard people get the insurance for dirt, maybe $75 for the year.

lemme know if you want any help finding something...

good come sausage

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2016, 07:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

$2500 is a tight budget. you may be able to get a higher mileage ADV bike or something from a dealer...but to be honest i don't know dick about bikes made after 1990.

get something reliable, if you really don't know what you're doing or aren't handy. don't buy an old piece because it looks cool, what are you in the market for? you like vintage? enduro / dirtbike? sport bike? cruiser?

popular ones are old hondas, adventure bikes like the KLR/Honda XL, newer triumphs, older triumphs, harleys...the list goes on and on

insurance hit up dairyland auto. I've heard people get the insurance for dirt, maybe $75 for the year.

First of all, I just saw the picture of your cb up there and it's fucking beautiful.

Also, thanks for the good response! Haha, the "well well well...good luck" made me smile. I'm fucked.

I could maybe do 3k$ but that's pushing it, I really wasn't thinking clearly while booking those plane tickets. I have bikes here and I know my way around them a little bit but I won't have a garage or even tools so I can't really do anything, I definitely wanna go as reliable as possible. Any advice on models would be awesome.. I'm thinking Honda Shadow or Yamaha Virago. Any thoughts?  

Speaking of, does anyone ride a dual sport bike and have any advice on those? I only ride old bikes at home too, but I found a dr 650 with low miles that the dealership owner would be willing to buy back from me once I go home if I wanted to. How would one of those things work on the freeway? This will be my only transportation so I'll go all over southern california on it. If that doesn't work I guess I'll try to find a Honda Shadow or something..

Good looking out with the insurance company! The place I checked was like a 3rd party insurance company and they wanted 220$ a month for full temporary insurance on like a '95 bike.. That's what I pay yearly for one bike at home so I'm not too psyched on that.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:27:19 AM by Deekay »

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

First of all, I just saw the picture of your cb up there and it's fucking beautiful.

Also, thanks for the good response! Haha, the "well well well...good luck" made me smile. I'm fucked.

I could maybe do 3k$ but that's pushing it, I really wasn't thinking clearly while booking those plane tickets. I have bikes here and I know my way around them a little bit but I won't have a garage or even tools so I can't really do anything, I definitely wanna go as reliable as possible. Any advice on models would be awesome.. I'm thinking Honda Shadow or Yamaha Virago. Any thoughts?  

Speaking of, does anyone ride a dual sport bike and have any advice on those? I only ride old bikes at home too, but I found a dr 650 with low miles that the dealership owner would be willing to buy back from me once I go home if I wanted to. How would one of those things work on the freeway? This will be my only transportation so I'll go all over southern california on it. If that doesn't work I guess I'll try to find a Honda Shadow or something..

Good looking out with the insurance company! The place I checked was like a 3rd party insurance company and they wanted 220$ a month for full temporary insurance on like a '95 bike.. That's what I pay yearly for one bike at home so I'm not too psyched on that.

DR650 is a good ADV bike. especially if you want to rip around in the dirt a little little bit. but the suspension feels super nice on those bikes and you'd enjoy.

virago's are fucking fast from what i hear. i don't know too much of the shadow other than its a v-twin ripoff and honda makes quality bikes so i'm sure it would be reliable, but do your research.

where in CA? if you let me know what region of Craigslist to look at I'll help pick out a couple that may be good bikes...

and thanks for the CB appreciation! she's pretty and fun.
good come sausage

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: October 11, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
Yeah, I grew up riding motocross alot so I guess I'm more drawn towards that than one that's too heavy and can't turn.. Not sure if I can rip any dirt roads though.

I have a virago 1100 that's rebuilt here actually and I really love it, it's perfect to me. However they're not that aesthetically pleasing stock so I'm not sure how easy that would be to sell which I have to consider now..

I'll be in Mar Vista, LA. I guess I'd be willing to travel an hour or so, I might have to uber it since the bike would be my only transportation. If you have some free time and feel like doing that it would be super nice of you, I'm trying to keep track too but all the good ones seem to sell quick so I'm kinda aiming towards trying to find one the first day there. Either through craigslist or a dealership..

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
What size shadow are you looking at? I had a 400 and loved it but it weighed nearly the same as my dad's 1100 (USA) version of the same bike so it didn't have that much grunt when push came to shove.
If you've only got $2500 to spend, why don't you just get a beat up sr400* or something similar?

*I have no idea how much sr400s cost where you are :-\

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
  • (formerly mex.ceferino)
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »
Bump! Sorry!
After 7 years i gotta part with my bike
Got married this year and gotta make this sacrifice, happily married but struggling
2006 sportster 1200cc
30k miles
Ive used it daily since 2010 and been my main source of transportation
Real trooper for long travels and everyday use
$3800 or best offer
Located in socal
Dm if interested

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2017, 06:27:55 AM »
that thing doesn't suck. that should sell easy for that money.

in other news my bike got stolen off the street last night  :'(
good come sausage

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
  • (formerly mex.ceferino)
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
Fuck dude That really fucking sucks man have you put it up on insta, filed a report?
I see those news a lot on bike related instas and most of the time word is spread and theyre found days later, at least in the states
Good luck!

Edit* thanks, been having a hard time selling it hopefully someone bites soon
Post your bike up here! You never know
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:07:59 PM by mex.ceferino »

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2017, 05:41:47 AM »
Fuck dude That really fucking sucks man have you put it up on insta, filed a report?
I see those news a lot on bike related instas and most of the time word is spread and theyre found days later, at least in the states
Good luck!

Edit* thanks, been having a hard time selling it hopefully someone bites soon
Post your bike up here! You never know

we recovered it last night about 3 or 4 miles out in brooklyn, kids completely fucking trashed it. broken fork, broken clutch case cover, broke every single light on the thing. hot wired the ignition so the battery is burnt out. bummed but i still can't believe i got it back, little fucking bastards. chain up those bikes boys..
good come sausage

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
Buuump.

Recently got into riding. Just took the MSF course and I'm pretty hyped. I got an '03 crf230 that's street legal w/ lights and everything. Tryna keep it safe on the road but I've hit some "jumps" in parking lots and damn that's fun.

Question though, what's the best way to carry a board when riding?

My friend suggests tying a shoelace across the trucks and wearing it over my shoulders but that seems iffy. I'm usually not riding at speeds above 50mph though, so could be fine? I don't have a rack or anything.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:06:56 AM by Andmoreagain »

feedmeseymour

« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »
buddy of mine was telling me how Harley pays a group of photographers and writers to travel and camp for like a year. just riding bikes harley gives them to shoot lifestyle photos and write ups for marketing material.

im not even into bikes but damn that job sounds so awesome, would be really cool to travel and camp with a motorcycle in general, and especially on some one elses dime.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Buuump.

Recently got into riding. Just took the MSF course and I'm pretty hyped. I got an '03 crf250 that's street legal w/ lights and everything. Tryna keep it safe on the road but I've hit some "jumps" in parking lots and damn that's fun.

My friend suggests tying a shoelace across the trucks and wearing it over my shoulders but that seems iffy. I'm usually not riding at speeds above 50mph though, so could be fine? I don't have a rack or anything.

backpack with board straps (that holds the board vertically) is the ticket...

and yes curb cuts are just as fun to hit on dirtbikes too

my old two smoker... slowly slowly getting it finished... (need to speed it up so I can start on my SR and my little dudes QR)

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2018, 04:53:42 AM »

brixton makes a backpack with straps that come out from underneath the bag. i believe it's the "basin." i used to ride to the park on my 75 cb360 with my board like that and it usually worked out fine. unless you've got a harley and can get one of those RADRACING skate mounts. photo shows a mexican blanket for chopper cool guy points but a skateboard fits in there just fine. $21 on amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WRS66Q/ref=twister_B07487JJ4G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

buddy of mine was telling me how Harley pays a group of photographers and writers to travel and camp for like a year. just riding bikes harley gives them to shoot lifestyle photos and write ups for marketing material.

im not even into bikes but damn that job sounds so awesome, would be really cool to travel and camp with a motorcycle in general, and especially on some one elses dime.

shit's pretty sick.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/content/dam/h-d/documents/company/about-us/Find_Your_Freedom_Internship_H-D.pdf

my old two smoker... slowly slowly getting it finished... (need to speed it up so I can start on my SR and my little dudes QR)

SR500? let's see this bad boy!

I got my KLR600 back from the dickhead who stole it and almost have it completely rebuilt. you can also see the newer harley i picked up recently in the second picture. nevermind that there's fucking like, 6 bikes in there.

good come sausage

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
I've been riding for just a bit over 2 years now.  I currently have a 2013 Yamaha FZ8 that I use as a commuter, back road bike, and short haul tourer (2-3 days/sub 1000 miles).  It works pretty well for weekend rides to the Oregon Coast, but I do want to upgrade in the next year, or two, to a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200.  As it is a way better tourer and can handle fire road/forest service road explorations.  If anyone is hesitant on getting a bike, I'd say go for it.  As long as you have good instincts and aren't a complete idiot with the risks you take, you should be fine. 

nice bike mane i got an fz07 and love it. kinda wish i went with the big brother though
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
I put the board on a shoe lace and it was passable. Also works in my backpack. I have a rear fender rack in the mail so more storage coming soon.

One more question:

I don't have a motorcycle jacket, so far I've just been wearing a thinker canvas jacket with a hoodie, which I know is not at all ideal. Now, this sounds petty, but I really hate the styling of most motorcycle jackets. It seems you're either stuck with macho leather daddy or hi-tech dweeb. That said, I know i need protection. Does anyone have recommendations for plain looking jackets (i usually just wear a carhartt) with decent protection and pockets for armor?

Having a tough time researching this online.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
you might prefer the styling of a textile jacket. or check out the joe rocket vintage jacket. that things dope.
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »

69 Honda cl175 I picked up about a year ago.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2301
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
I put the board on a shoe lace and it was passable. Also works in my backpack. I have a rear fender rack in the mail so more storage coming soon.

One more question:

I don't have a motorcycle jacket, so far I've just been wearing a thinker canvas jacket with a hoodie, which I know is not at all ideal. Now, this sounds petty, but I really hate the styling of most motorcycle jackets. It seems you're either stuck with macho leather daddy or hi-tech dweeb. That said, I know i need protection. Does anyone have recommendations for plain looking jackets (i usually just wear a carhartt) with decent protection and pockets for armor?

There were a couple of simple Troy Lee Designs jackets that had sorta what you were looking for. Sorry no link but Im sure its searchable

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote

One more question:

[close]
There were a couple of simple Troy Lee Designs jackets that had sorta what you were looking for. Sorry no link but Im sure its searchable
https://www.rolandsands.com/category/242/motorcycle-jackets/textile-motorcycle-jackets ???

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2301
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »
Idk how I forgot about Roland! Good call

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
yeah, seems like to the go to in that particular genre.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #267 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
Not the best idea, putting a motorcycle on the road.  Think of everyone sending texts now and shit.  It's getting to be sketchy,no?  Think of a car as a couch motorbike that has SOME protective qualities.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #268 on: September 21, 2018, 04:36:07 AM »

If you're looking for something a little cheaper than RSD this is a great deal.  Armored hoodie/denim vest combo. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-bikes-are-in-my-blood-armored-hoody

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
Adventure bikes? BMW came out with a 1250gs model with a "shift cam" technology.

Tft display

"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"