Author Topic: fs or bs 5050 on a ledge  (Read 9733 times)

zipzinger666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • Fuck, that didn't work out...
Re: fs or bs 5050 on a ledge
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
nollie bs nosegrind
[close]

Marc Johnson.
[close]

I dont remember his... which part did he do one on?

Expand Quote
In 15 years of skating, I've fallen every way possible. However, with front tails, I'm just really confident with that trick (knock on wood -- I say this with humility!). Everyone on here has some trick they're really comfortable with, that others look at as their Achilles' heel. For instance, backside 5-0s. I know dudes who can hold that trick like no other, do them on the scariest hubbas. I fucking cannot do that trick on anything scary and I can't hold them more than a couple of feet. Trick is so fucking nerve wracking. I've front tailed shit I wouldn't even front 50. I view front tails as a safety trick. I've met some people who view it the same way, others who don't. I've got a friend who'll back tail a hubba before front tail. Don't understand that one. I also like front tails cuz the stick factor isn't gnarly -- especially compared to front 50s or 5-0s.    
[close]

thats crazy i find bs 5-0 one of the easiest actually cause you can just drag the tail if you want. its pretty tough to manual the entire thing and do tricks out of, although i did bs 5-0, fs 180 out and i found it easier to do it while manualing. i came really close to bs 5-0 fs shove out and i found it a lot easier when in manual-style. but bs 5-0 360 shove out i find it easier if the tail is dragging right on the ledge you can kind of get your foot in there and just let er rip.

also a crazy trick is bs 5050 kickflip out i did it before but the ledge had an ending on it so it was cheating but it would be sick if someone could do it out of the middle of the ledge or in a 5-0 even thatd be even sicker

5-0 three shove is another that always goes wrong for me. roll my front ankle every time i try it.

and this back 5-0 kickflip is my favorite. first trick...

Slap: not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
nollie bs nosegrind
[close]

Marc Johnson.
[close]

I dont remember his... which part did he do one on?

1:08 I'm sure I saw him do it on a ledge somewhere too but I can't remember where.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2010, 05:14:43 PM »
The hardest that I have ever fallen was on my tailbone while in the middle of a backside 5050 at the planetarium benches in Chapel Hill.  My vision was blurry and hearing strange for a couple of hours.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:05 PM »
See with back 5-0s, when I try to do them for distance, I just do a shitty back 5-0/Suski grind hybrid. I can't get on straight over if the ledge doesn't end. It's just horrible. Also, I've slipped out really hard on them. When I was a kid, I'd do back 180s out of them. But it was a struggle. And I knew they looked like shit. I really love back tails so I really opted for that one over the years. I only back 5-0 ledges that end, preferably if they grind like a dream. It amazes me how most people can grind that trick like no other. Don't get it at all. Van Wastell had a mean back 5. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 409
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Best b/s 5-0 ever. Try and prove me wrong. 1:53

Re-watched this part a like a year or so after this video came out and that 5-0 made me go out and earn them.

gandzha

• Rep: -12
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:13 PM »
1)Frontside
2)Frontside
3)backside I think

LIVEfromthe3one5

• Rep: 11
    • East Coast Raw avatar image
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »
Backside anything is wayyyyy easier for me, 50-50's, 5-0's, crooks, noseslides, ect. Even though frontside 5050's are the easier way to go, they bug the shit out of me and just dont feel as natural as hitting shit backside
"We get the boosters boosting,we get computers putin,you get shot at,call me I'll do the shooting,I do the recruiting, I tutor the students, I nurture they brain, We moving the Movement!"
http://cornerstorebodega.tumblr.com/

-N.S.S.P-

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
See with back 5-0s, when I try to do them for distance, I just do a shitty back 5-0/Suski grind hybrid. I can't get on straight over if the ledge doesn't end. It's just horrible. Also, I've slipped out really hard on them. When I was a kid, I'd do back 180s out of them. But it was a struggle. And I knew they looked like shit. I really love back tails so I really opted for that one over the years. I only back 5-0 ledges that end, preferably if they grind like a dream. It amazes me how most people can grind that trick like no other. Don't get it at all. Van Wastell had a mean back 5. 

i saw manderson do the sickest back 5-0 back 180 at the fillmore skatepark. made it look like the coolest trick ever.

HBeezy561

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -33
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
backside for sure

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »
Backside all of it. I will never understand balanced frontside nosegrinds on ledges, but they come pretty naturally to me backside. Can't do front tails, have back tails almost all of the time. The only frontside trick I have better than backside is crooked grinds.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i saw manderson do the sickest back 5-0 back 180 at the fillmore skatepark. made it look like the coolest trick ever.

Tuna -- I've learned that Mike Anderson skates on a totally different plane. He's definitely someone whose video parts don't do him justice. What I mean by that is Mike skates so fast and is so fucking raw that you can't bottle that shit. You've got to watch it in person. Definitely a huge Mike Anderson fan. 

TheFreshSC

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »
i fucks with straight on balanced bs nosegrinds on ledges. they feel incredible on marble, metal, or concrete. front 50-50 front shuv out is my ledge warm up trick, then usually front noseslide 270 or a fs lipslide. lately i've been really into a stupid ledge combo, bs nosegrind to back lip, but it feels great cause i can slide a back lip without worrying about my back truck catching, as it usually does when i ollie into a back lip. my board doesnt follow my feet anymore when i tailslide, which is really a bummer cause i loved the feel of that trick. goodness this is make me want to go skate

Dirtyjersey

• Rep: -4
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »
bs looks way better.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2217
  • computer says no
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 07:55:34 AM »
I learned how to 5050 on a ledge backside a few weeks before I learned how to lock them in frontside, but since then frontside's been easier for me because I can keep an eye on everything better.

For me, the biggest exception to my comfort on bs/fs tricks is bs crooks... I usually warm up or get used to a ledge with those since you can watch your feet and the ledge easily, and you only have to step out to bail.

tonysean

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 10:52:39 AM »
i can barely get into bs 5050. and frontside i can do but no consistency. ledges aren't my thing.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • S&H
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
Somethings wrong with my pop when it comes to backside. I consistenly miss completely or land feeble. I have to come in straight on like a manual to bs 5-0 any ledge.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2010, 10:59:54 AM »
the trick to fs nosegrind is you ollie into it like a 5050, very squarely both feet as evenly spaced as possible, but then at the last possible second before you hit the cement you put your weight onto the nose. this helps you keep your left/right balance. i find it you try and ollie straight into the nosegrind you go off to one side or you slam your nose into the ledge which will cause you to stick most of the time. i also find you kind of have to jam your nose down really quickly.... same with nosemanuals too.

what i mean by that is you ollie and actually force your nose down so it hits the object sooner than it would if you were to just allow yourself to drop down. i cant explain why this helps but it helped me a ton on learning heelflip nosemanuals. i was letting the flip coast too much and so by the time i was going to catch and land balanced, my wheels would all be flat. you have to get a hold of that flip before it has a chance to start coming down and then you are guaranteed a nicely balanced nosemanny when YOU force it into place instaed of letting it do its thing.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
Backside for bigger things, especially going down things. One of my worst slam was a frontside fifty fifty attempt and a I got Into this front feeble position and landed on my head and destroyed my wrist.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2010, 03:16:47 PM »
I learned how to 5050 on a ledge backside a few weeks before I learned how to lock them in frontside, but since then frontside's been easier for me because I can keep an eye on everything better.

For me, the biggest exception to my comfort on bs/fs tricks is bs crooks... I usually warm up or get used to a ledge with those since you can watch your feet and the ledge easily, and you only have to step out to bail.

The very same reasoning for me except that I still suck at bs 5050's. Not seeing where you hit the ledge is definitely the uncomfortable part. Not keeping my shoulders parallel when ollieing on the ledge is where it goes wrong for me, just feels unnatural.

Mexican Spaniard: sounds like you have the shoulder thing as well, what you described happens to me and I've figured that it's the fucking shoulders not being parallel to the ledge.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:19:23 PM by metsuri »

Eon

• Rep: -9
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
fs 50/50

i can do backside without too much problem but i have a weird phobia of doing stuff backside.

Rihardslol

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
Lately I'm scared of grinding ledges that go down. I really don't know why, it's just scary. Usually the first trick I do when I skate a ledge is bs 50-50, but down stuff fs 50-50, I have bs50-50'd a down ledge only once.

sage

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2010, 10:35:22 AM »
Somethings wrong with my pop when it comes to backside. I consistenly miss completely or land feeble. I have to come in straight on like a manual to bs 5-0 any ledge.

when i sucked i had a similar problem with backside 5-0s, you just have to learn to lead with your shoulders.

Rihardslol

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »
With bs 5-0 I usually ollie like on 50-50 and then at the last moment I lean on my tail, unlike fs 5-0, when I jump straight on it.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tuna -- I've learned that Mike Anderson skates on a totally different plane. He's definitely someone whose video parts don't do him justice. What I mean by that is Mike skates so fast and is so fucking raw that you can't bottle that shit. You've got to watch it in person. Definitely a huge Mike Anderson fan. 

I can attest to that. Same day as the cool 5-0 180, me and my buddy had just gotten to the park, we looked over and all of a sudden we see some dude wallie up onto the hubba to manual down it first try, we were just in awe, then i recognized him as bein mike. I'm hopin he's at the deluxe demo on monday at skatelab, even though walmartlab is pretty lame.

DevinSB

• Rep: -11
    • mywaste avatar image
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
bs looks way better.
backside everything looks better, minus feebles and crooks, i love both of those frontside.

scary tan guy

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »
back 50s on something high are so much easier to bail out of if I dont lock in. Front 50's are probably a little easier to get into but the potential for a bad slam is worse, imo.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
anyone have heelflips better than kickflips>?

Rihardslol

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »
anyone have heelflips better than kickflips>?

I sometimes make them super high with perfect catch out of nowhere, I suck at kickflips. I havent jumped down anything with a heelflip tho, feels scary for me.