Author Topic: Diminishing quality of Nike SB's  (Read 12846 times)

mattyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Diminishing quality of Nike SB's
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
Is it just me or has the quality of Nike SB's diminished over the past couple of years.  This past week the entire toe cap came off of my P-Rod 3's after only 2 months of my normal skating.  My 4 pairs of P-Rod 2's all lasted me roughly 6 months each. The Problem with the 3'sis they look like they have a 2 layer toecap but only 1 layer consisting of 2 peices stitched together to look like a dual layer toecap....So once the stitching on the toe cap stitching tears, and you start getting a hole from kickflips...there's no second layer of suede underneath...it's pretty much just mesh.  When I went to a shop to get a new pair of shoes,  I tried on the the P-Rod 4's only to find out that they aren't true cupsoles.  They're a cup/vulc hybrid. I tried on every style of SB's that the shops had in my size only to find out that most of the "cup soles" were actually this cup/vulc hybrid.  Problem with the hybrid is they feel way more like a vulc than a cup. The thing that attracted me to SB in the first place was the comfort and skateability of their cupsoles (the prod 2).  Mostly it's due to the airzoom pad they put in the heel of the Sole.  All the hybrids only have the airzoom pad in the insole.  They can't put them in the actual sole b/c they are produced more like a vulc sole than a cup sole.  It's super frustrating because all of their shoes feel like vulc shoes.  And I can't really skate well in vulc shoes.  It just seems to me that NikeSB is trimming cost by eliminating "excess" material and using cheaper production methods (ie more vulc style sole production) in order to further maximize their profits.  It seems like they don't really care about the day to day skate functionality, and they care more about what the shoe looks like, since (most likely) they make more money off sneakerheads than skaters.   I'm just wondering if anyone else feels their shoe quality (as far as skating is concerned) has been going down.
-mattyc

bakingsoda

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
Re: Diminishing quality of Nike SB's
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »

TXJDOT

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »

where is the quality control?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »
Probably should move this in the shoe thread.

On a side note, Nike needs to slow down on producing so much bullshit colorways every month. The niche that Nike had back in the days was the limited amounts of sneakers they put out. I am sure I could be wrong but I feel like there was more thought into releasing certain shoes back in the hay day, whether it was for the sneaker collectors or the average skaters. At least go back to releasing shoes every season like your average skate/shoe company. I guess it wouldn't make sense money wise for Nike though.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

SneakerHead

• Rep: -9
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Never had a problem with any of my SB's, But I never buy prods shit, because it is shit.

Dunks are great cupsoles...so why not try those? Just shoe goo the stitching and your set for months.

If you want a nice thick cupsole get some salazars while you can.
<3 Skateboarding

cadzukes.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »
6.0's didn't appeal to any skaters because you could buy them everywhere, SB's only appeal because they were only available at skateshops. to shoeheads this means sb's are the hard to find boutique shoeline.  That's why you get the what the dunks and lobsters and all the disgusting collectors shoes and why the prices keep rising.  Ive had two pairs of sb nikes and the air sole broke both times (one had it in the sole the other was in the insole) and gave me fucking horrible pains in my heel.

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
to mattyc, definitely get salazars while you still can, those are cupsoles with zoom air in the actual sole.

and while we're complaining about what nike is doing wrong, i'm gunna be the 5000th person to say make more pro models.

mattyc

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »

Honestly I forgot that other sections of the forum exist, since I usually lurk in the banter section every day.

On a side note, Nike needs to slow down on producing so much bullshit colorways every month..

Yeah, I don't even care what color shoe i wear, so long as they are comfortable and skate decent.

-mattyc
-mattyc

mattyc

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »

Dunks are great cupsoles...so why not try those? Just shoe goo the stitching and your set for months.
The dunk tread pattern never seemed to me like it would be good for skating.  Also they didn't have any dunks in my size.

If you want a nice thick cupsole get some salazars while you can.
They were actually the most comfortable of the shoes I tried on, but I just couldn't get over how ugly they were.  I'd seen people talking on the forum last week about how ugly that shoe was, but I'd never really seen it in person.  It was pretty bad.

-mattyc
-mattyc

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »
salazars are blowing my mind right now

SneakerHead

• Rep: -9
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The dunk tread pattern never seemed to me like it would be good for skating.  Also they didn't have any dunks in my size.

They just revamped the dunks sole for better grip. You could always order online...

<3 Skateboarding

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -98
  • tae-tae
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
just get some classics
ohyeahohyeah

mattyc

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »

They just revamped the dunks sole for better grip. You could always order online...

That does look better than the one's i saw in the shop.  Online wasn't an option b/c i needed them ASAP, Plus I shop local whenever possible.

just get some classics

Somehow they had no classics at all...which I found Odd.  I ended up with a pair of Bruin's I wasn't too stoaked on.  They'll do for now. I suppose.

-mattyc
-mattyc

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »

On a side note, Nike needs to slow down on producing so much bullshit colorways every month. The niche that Nike had back in the days was the limited amounts of sneakers they put out. I am sure I could be wrong but I feel like there was more thought into releasing certain shoes back in the hay day, whether it was for the sneaker collectors or the average skaters. At least go back to releasing shoes every season like your average skate/shoe company. I guess it wouldn't make sense money wise for Nike though.

nike's big thing is the limited edition aspect of all their shoes

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
you don't have to sign off everytime you comment.

- thepman.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

mattyc

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »

- thepman.

No idea what you're talking about. I haven't logged out....ever.
-mattyc
-mattyc

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
Get some Janoski's

-BT
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »
never had a problem with my nikes. but i've never skated p-rods. i would say two months is a extremly long life for � pair of skate shoes!

zoom fb's are up next for me, looking forward to it!

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

IskateBaker

• Rep: -70
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »
Get some Janoski's

-BT

are those actually that durable? ive heard that they are all hype but then ive heard that there the best
nigga when's the last time you caught a pokemon with a great ball?

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
Expand Quote

- thepman.
[close]

-mattyc

oh wow
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And that is what I mean. Nike's are hardly limited anymore and they make way more shoes then companies like Lakai and Emerica. Plus limited edition shoes are not where it's at no more. If you notice even companies like Jordan, they are releasing tons of old shoes to feed the buyers out there. Nike SB lost their lack luster because of that. They can literally just put out shit on a monthly basis because they know it will sell like hot cakes.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »
salazars are blowing my mind right now

Same, I won a pair and that was the only way id ever skate Nike but these are so good! Ive been trying to make these last with shoe goo for as long as possible, now they look like the biggest pieces of shit but they skate so nice!

hekkahyphy

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
So many kids round here love the janoskis. But the main dude I knw who loves em has some seperation in the toe stitching area on top of your foot and he hasn't been skatin em for that long... Just get some ?S =)

mattyc

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They can literally just put out shit on a monthly basis because they know it will sell like hot cakes.

I don't disagree with you that the colorways are dumb, but why would you be saying that they should stop doing it....when you also say that whatever they produce month to month will sell like hotcakes (ie makes them money).
-mattyc
-mattyc

mattyc

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »
never had a problem with my nikes. but i've never skated p-rods. i would say two months is a extremly long life for � pair of skate shoes!

zoom fb's are up next for me, looking forward to it!

I literally only skate in my skate shoes...so the soles don't get worn down by normal walking stuff. Then I skate them till the lack of tread starts getting in the way of skating.  Usually that's at least 4 months.  These still had ton's of tread, but the tocap blew out b/c of shitty design.
-mattyc
-mattyc

matt.

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
Expand Quote

- thepman.
[close]

-mattyc

lol

The Twilight Zone

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
i like how salazars look

and you're a complete fag

- anti hero

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They can literally just put out shit on a monthly basis because they know it will sell like hot cakes.
[close]

I don't disagree with you that the colorways are dumb, but why would you be saying that they should stop doing it....when you also say that whatever they produce month to month will sell like hotcakes (ie makes them money).
-mattyc

I guess I am just speaking on my own personal preference. I haven't bought a Nike SB shoe in ages and even people that I knew that bought SBs also stopped as well. There is just nothing special about them, but Nike does what it needs to stay in business and appeasing someone like me is pretty much regular.

And look at Adidas. They come out seasonal, make good colorways, have dope shoes and they still sell like crazy. They're pretty much what Nike SB used to be....in a small way anyways.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

mattyc

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

-mattyc
[close]

I guess I am just speaking on my own personal preference. I haven't bought a Nike SB shoe in ages and even people that I knew that bought SBs also stopped as well. There is just nothing special about them, but Nike does what it needs to stay in business and appeasing someone like me is pretty much regular.

And look at Adidas. They come out seasonal, make good colorways, have dope shoes and they still sell like crazy. They're pretty much what Nike SB used to be....in a small way anyways.

I wasn't into SB's for a while...then I put on a pair of P-rod's and they felt awesome. Like they were already broken in.  SB's are the only skateshoes I've ever owned (other than a random pair of adio's i got years ago) that I haven't had to replace the insoles.   

-mattyc
-mattyc

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »
I love this thread ;D

-DMS
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit