Author Topic: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?  (Read 21129 times)

H8R part 4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bringing your board to social outings/school/work?
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2011, 09:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
i pretty much bring my board everywhere unless its wet/raining...why would i walk when i can skate? ? i really see no point in hiding something thats such a huge part of my life. ? 
i recently went on some job interviews and brought my cruiser with me. ? i figured its better to let them know from the get go. ?  ?  ? 
[close]

in the past job interviewers have said to me that my skateboard was a good sign of passion and determination, i got the job... then got fired a few months later because of a rolled ankle (i couldnt walk) and food poisoning, said they needed someone more consistant

if you call in sick or don't show up to work because you hurt yourself skating, you're more than likely going to be fired.

i rolled my ankle skating this past tuesday, like 2 hours before i had to be at work and it was only my 2nd day there.
i manned up and hobbled around for 7 hours on a freshly sprained ankle, no biggie.

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
I skated to school my first semester but my campus is mostly up hill towards class, and only people that skate around are douche bag long boarders and i don't want to be associated with such kooks in any degree.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »
I'm not even gonna read this thread because there is only one good rule of thumb; the less people outside of skateboarding that know that you skate, the better off you are.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 03:08:19 PM »
That's bullshit and you know it

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »
If I'm not actually going to get a real session in, I leave it at home.  Why torture myself with what I can't have?

ROFLCOCKTOR

• Rep: 9
  • soisoisoisoisoi
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
I only talk to people who skateboard because i'm so unique and people who dont skate cant comprehend my unique-ness with their close-minded attitude to anyone 'different'.

tre killa

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
Yeah I really try to avoid the skate talk conversation it always ends up bad. Like the other day I was talking to this chick that I havnt seen in a while and shes like do you still skate and then she precieded to ask me if I wanted to get sponsered? Really pissed me off. I also hate it that people can exept things like football and other lame ass sports but cant exept the creativeness of skateboarding. Like my moms friend was talking about how she doesnt see what kids want out of skateboarding. Why dont people understand we skate cause its fun its our passion I mean do you think the dudes that played school football twenty years ago still play football?

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
After you realize this is something you'll be doing as long as you can walk you don't really think about it.
People that don't skate are curious. They ask because they wish they had enough skill and balance to figure out how to ride one.
Theyre trying to relate socially.Some are good at it, others not so much. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me, theyre wrapped up in whatever bs people that don't skate think about.

truth

i love skating. there's no reason to filter the consciousness in conversation when one identifies as a skater.

i understand feeling hassled by cats who don't shred, but the older i get, fewer and fewer people attempt to start conversations or make smart remarks when i mention skating or if i've got my board in a bar or class.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Fuck you guys I'm a way WORSE poster than Jay and Skater Austin

superslopp

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote
There was a time a little bit after high school when I started feeing a little self-concious about skating, mainly I think because most of my friends who I skated with all the time in high school quit.  I think I picked up a little maturity after that and realized that I don't care what people think about me.  It's funny cause I told my girlfriend about that little epiphany and she was like "well obviously, it doesn't matter anyways cause you are actually doing something with your life (almost done university)" and it made me think, all of my friends who actually skated as much as I did in high school are failing at life right now.  Looking back, pretty much every skater I knew in high school was a stoner who didn't give a fuck about school.  I'm a pretty athletic guy and joined the football team near the end of high school (I still remember skipping practice a couple times to go skate) and I get together with the old team to play pickup games every now and then, and pretty much every one of them have done or are in some sort of post-secondary education.  The older I get (although really I'm only 22) the more I see why the general public has a negative stereotype of skaters, especially older ones.  The only people older than 20 that I know who still skate are stoners or hippie scum (or both) and most people who I still play football with (or hockey, which I'm starting to get into) are well adjusted members of society.
[close]

fuck the fuck off.

hehehe

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »
Quote from: Doogie Howser ? link=topic=52249.msg1419953#msg1419953 date=1302056454
Fuck you guys I'm a way WORSE poster than Jay and Skater Austin
Wtf? You're a pretty good poster actually, i'd say the worse poster is someone who is a tool.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
FUK U BISH!!   CALL ME A FUKIN T00L

Ethan

• Rep: -1
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
Whenever I bring my skateboard to school...

Person: Yo, that a skateboard?
Me: Yeah.
Person: Sick, is that a Sheckler board? P-Rod? Chris Cole?
Me: Nah, it's an Anti-Hero..
Person: Oh, who's on that?
Me: TNT, Andrew Allen, Frank Gerwer...
Person: Idk who any of those people are.. are they on the Dew Tour or Maloof?
Me: Not sure.
Person: Oh well, skateboarding is dead anyways longboards are awesome, do you have one?
My name is Ethan, I live in Red Bank, New Jersey.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »
I usually try to avoid extended skate conversations unless its while im skating or with someone that i've skated with before. Then you know if they know whats up or if they're a kook.

few246810

• Rep: -6
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
There was a time a little bit after high school when I started feeing a little self-concious about skating, mainly I think because most of my friends who I skated with all the time in high school quit. ? I think I picked up a little maturity after that and realized that I don't care what people think about me. ? It's funny cause I told my girlfriend about that little epiphany and she was like "well obviously, it doesn't matter anyways cause you are actually doing something with your life (almost done university)" and it made me think, all of my friends who actually skated as much as I did in high school are failing at life right now. ? Looking back, pretty much every skater I knew in high school was a stoner who didn't give a fuck about school. ? I'm a pretty athletic guy and joined the football team near the end of high school (I still remember skipping practice a couple times to go skate) and I get together with the old team to play pickup games every now and then, and pretty much every one of them have done or are in some sort of post-secondary education. ? The older I get (although really I'm only 22) the more I see why the general public has a negative stereotype of skaters, especially older ones. ? The only people older than 20 that I know who still skate are stoners or hippie scum (or both) and most people who I still play football with (or hockey, which I'm starting to get into) are well adjusted members of society.

This isn't entirely true, but more true than not.  I still skate and I'm a VP at my firm and have graduate degrees.  I generally just skate alone, because all the people my age who skate probably wouldn't want to hang with me -- I'm in a new city and those cats just live a different lifestyle.  In fact, I get strange looks when I go to a skateshop.  It's regular, skaters can be stuck up in certain ways despite trying to give the vibe that they're open-minded and all that other bullshit.

In any event, there are those of us who just won't quit doing it.  The wifey doesn't seem to mind and my non-work friends know.  I don't talk about it with people at work, only because it's a hobby to me and not a lifestyle.  I don't expect them to talk about their hobbies I'm not involved with. 

rmoto

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »

Person: Oh well, skateboarding is dead anyways longboards are awesome, do you have one?
GOD the same thing always happens to me and it pisses me off. I also hate when I bring my board places or am just cuising and some jock douche yells "DO A KICKFLIP!" or if im holding my board in public and kids come up and start asking me what tricks i can do or the biggest set i'v ollied.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
GOD the same thing always happens to me and it pisses me off. I also hate when I bring my board places or am just cuising and some jock douche yells "DO A KICKFLIP!" or if im holding my board in public and kids come up and start asking me what tricks i can do or the biggest set i'v ollied.
That's when you make shit up and lie to them. 

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
]That's when you make shit up and lie to them. 

Dear Austin,

I'd be really bummed if you were lying to us about being off the schroom smoke.
I believed in you.

Yours in sobriety,

Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
Quote from: daniel ? link=topic=52249.msg1420052#msg1420052 date=1302063435
Expand Quote
]That's when you make shit up and lie to them.? 
[close]

Dear Austin,

I'd be really bummed if you were lying to us about being off the schroom smoke.
I believed in you.

Yours in sobriety,

Daniel
Nah dude, I'm talking about lying about shit.  I once told a little kid I used to be pro but hurt my ankle.

MrMello

• Rep: 8
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
That's when you make shit up and lie to them. 
Or when they ask "what's your best trick?" I always make something up like 900 flips or something.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There was a time a little bit after high school when I started feeing a little self-concious about skating, mainly I think because most of my friends who I skated with all the time in high school quit.  I think I picked up a little maturity after that and realized that I don't care what people think about me.  It's funny cause I told my girlfriend about that little epiphany and she was like "well obviously, it doesn't matter anyways cause you are actually doing something with your life (almost done university)" and it made me think, all of my friends who actually skated as much as I did in high school are failing at life right now.  Looking back, pretty much every skater I knew in high school was a stoner who didn't give a fuck about school.  I'm a pretty athletic guy and joined the football team near the end of high school (I still remember skipping practice a couple times to go skate) and I get together with the old team to play pickup games every now and then, and pretty much every one of them have done or are in some sort of post-secondary education.  The older I get (although really I'm only 22) the more I see why the general public has a negative stereotype of skaters, especially older ones.  The only people older than 20 that I know who still skate are stoners or hippie scum (or both) and most people who I still play football with (or hockey, which I'm starting to get into) are well adjusted members of society.
[close]

fuck the fuck off.
[close]

hehehe

You should see what happens in your 30's.....all those dudes you play football with....they may seem like well adjusted guys but half are sociopaths.....and all you wish is that they would smoke more weed....

barbaricious

• Rep: 2
  • cheers man
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 12:06:48 AM »
two weeks ago i saw some douche monging so rediculously hard and fast through the uni courtyard, he proceeded to duck under some building tape while doing some kind of frontside grab, then acting like he just solved world hunger, rode out of sight with his chin held high. that is enough reason to leave your board at home/locker whatever.

NYCskumlife

• Rep: -8
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 12:47:52 AM »
i bring my board to school for the simple fact that there is a skatepark a few blocks away so im always skating after school. i'll bring my skateboard just about anywhere if i know im skating afterwords. Bringing my skateboard somewhere that i know i wont be skating after nah i wont do that i just hate carrying it around and such. i dont talk about it much also only with my friends that skate.

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

fuck the fuck off.
[close]

hehehe
[close]

You should see what happens in your 30's.....all those dudes you play football with....they may seem like well adjusted guys but half are sociopaths.....and all you wish is that they would smoke more weed....

Haha I'm fully aware of how faux pas to defend or even discuss jocks on a skateboard forum, but in my experience most of them have been pretty cool guys.  I think I'm just more pissed that there's no one to skate with anymore where I live who isn't a pothead. 

• Rep: -2
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2011, 06:04:37 AM »
The first rule of skate club is: you do not talk about skate club.

Blak Myke

• Rep: 3
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:25 AM »
Went out with a chick with my DGK beanie on and she read it then says, "Isn't that kind off offensive?" I laughed and explained where it came from and she thought it was dope. I'm hurt now and can't skate and she text me asking when I could skate again. She doesn't get it but knows i love to do it.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i pretty much bring my board everywhere unless its wet/raining...why would i walk when i can skate? ?? i really see no point in hiding something thats such a huge part of my life. ?? 
i recently went on some job interviews and brought my cruiser with me. ?? i figured its better to let them know from the get go. ??  ??  ?? 
[close]

in the past job interviewers have said to me that my skateboard was a good sign of passion and determination, i got the job... then got fired a few months later because of a rolled ankle (i couldnt walk) and food poisoning, said they needed someone more consistant
[close]

if you call in sick or don't show up to work because you hurt yourself skating, you're more than likely going to be fired.

i rolled my ankle skating this past tuesday, like 2 hours before i had to be at work and it was only my 2nd day there.
i manned up and hobbled around for 7 hours on a freshly sprained ankle, no biggie.

yeah i know, thing is i wasnt too fussed because i had exams soon so had to study loads and the pay was prety crap anyway.

(also i was later told by the doctor that it was a fracture, so its propably just aswell i didnt go and hobble arround HA)

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
Bring it to the bar, get faded, bike sherlock street luge home.

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
I just talked to a friend in a bar yesterday, who knows that I skate, but isnt really interested in skateboarding at all (not that I tried to describe this whole lifestyle thing to him, he just knows I skate). There were 2 other guys at our table and as soon as we talked about skating one of them started to talk about longboarding. I didnt want to be to offensive and was like "yeah, whatever, I dont think I am too much into that..." and the other guy yells at him "He said he is a SKATEboarder, not a fucking Longboarder. For fucks sake, longboarding sucks and it?s not skateboarding..."

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
I just talked to a friend in a bar yesterday, who knows that I skate, but isnt really interested in skateboarding at all (not that I tried to describe this whole lifestyle thing to him, he just knows I skate). There were 2 other guys at our table and as soon as we talked about skating one of them started to talk about longboarding. I didnt want to be to offensive and was like "yeah, whatever, I dont think I am too much into that..." and the other guy yells at him "He said he is a SKATEboarder, not a fucking Longboarder. For fucks sake, longboarding sucks and it?s not skateboarding..."

thank god someone outside the skate cummunity knows theyre not even nearly similar just because its wood and wheels