Author Topic: Ricky Oyola's Epicly Later'd - June 30th  (Read 143702 times)

dankradschwag

Re: Ricky Oyola's Epicly Later'd - June 30th
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
Yea, I have absolutely no problem with people liking this type skating, if you want to be gay, do you. Just don't say it's a more pure form of skateboarding, when it's the same thing. That's the only thing i have a problem with people on slap.

but its totally different duuuuuuuuuude

btw i seen yo footy, shits weak, you skate slow

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
cotg fukin sux @ sk8ing, faggggg!!!  bitch!!  ill beat ur asssss

ChildoftheGhetto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Yea, I have absolutely no problem with people liking this type skating, if you want to be gay, do you. Just don't say it's a more pure form of skateboarding, when it's the same thing. That's the only thing i have a problem with people on slap.
[close]

but its totally different duuuuuuuuuude

btw i seen yo footy, shits weak, you skate slow
Yup, I'm sliding 8-10 feet all the time because I skate slow. Makes sense.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
child of the suburban how many boards cn u ollie"?

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »
I'm sure like 8. If I actually practiced ollies i could ollie higher though. at least i think i could.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2011, 08:18:30 PM »
I'm sure like 8. If I actually practiced ollies i could ollie higher though. at least i think i could.

omg, i cn ollie 6 u can ask my friend he was there!!  he was there for it!!
r u sponrsred?

BraveUlysses

« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »
So umm...how bout that episode?

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »
lulz.  he's at least little bit famous.  he has a later'd. 

he should work on his art direction and marketing skills.  i guess doing this is a start.  i've copped some traffic shit, but not because my aesthetic sensibilities were captivated or anything.  i understand about trying to keep shit real or raw, but what's realer than not being able to look yo kids out?

also it's a hard thing to realize the huge chip on your shoulder is what might have kept you from rising up.

eminem

« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2011, 11:41:53 PM »
style and dress is not the key dobalina, it's all in the mind and the heart so you should start remembering, you gotta pay a fee dobalina

James

• Rep: -6
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »
Expand Quote
What I mean was that with Ricky's skating its like he just steps out of the door and skates around from spot to spot.. It doesnt fucking
matter if he drives there or not its just the act of doing lines throughout his city instead of going to a stairset or ledge stressing out and taking forever to land some ridiculous trick.
[close]
So, skating on or around the sidewalk is pure street skating, and anywhere else, is not. Do i have it yet?

Don't even bother with this faggot, he bought some old skools and does no-complys and thinks he "understands east coast skateboarding" he wouldnt even admit who he is after i straight called him out.

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »
what the fuck are you talking about?

Doogie Howser Ph.D.

« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
HAHAHA, you're the complete idiot who thought I was Logan Lara. 

juja

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »

Sick....You should meet up with Larry Perkins and do some ollie challenge shit

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
COTG once again coming in and stealing ricky's thunder. gotta love it.

and sorry to say man....but maybe more people would be down with traffic if it was still CHAPMAN WOOD!!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:22 AM »
They're no possible way to slide like 10 feet and roll away from any trick, let alone flip in or flip out tricks, If you go slow. This is exactly how I know you're  guys are idiots, and haters. It's not my fault you suck at skating, if you guys actually went out and skated, you might actually acquire some skills. I also want to see how fast anyone that says i skate slow skates.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:55:31 AM by ChildoftheGhetto »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »

it's true...big ollies are just like learning tricks on miniramp....easy....

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
I'm just saying, I can barely ollie, and I know i can ollie higher than 99% of people on slap.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2011, 09:13:32 AM »
I'm just saying, I can barely ollie, and I know i can ollie higher than 99% of people on slap.

The fact that you can ollie higher than most people from Slap might be true, but I mean 8 boards? Johnny Layton and Corey Duffel can ollie 8 boards and they have monster pop, you on the other hand (as you just admitted) aren't that good at ollies.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I've ollied over 7 easily, and that was years ago. I guess I have monster pop, too.

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
just because he doesn't go mach-10 doesn't mean that he necessarily skates slow you fucktards
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »
i like when cotg puts up a good argument people start going "yeah well you skate slow!" "you skate ankle high curbs, go sell crack!"

yall wild
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

Archie Bunker

• Rep: 17
  • I've got the juice now
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
i like when cotg puts up a good argument people start going "yeah well you skate slow!" "you skate ankle high curbs, go sell crack!"

yall wild

I never understood why people like watching video parts of people doing really easy shit that they could do themselves.  Do they like eating crappy food that they could make in their own kitchen?  Do they like listening to shitty music that they could play?
Bitch I'm 'bout it 'bout it

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
I thought we all were on the same page that CoTG is at least a decent skater who has done some hard shit?

however, if you see Ricky skate in person, or see some of the shit he's done (ie. spots he's skated) then you know the dude is for real.

As far as Raw goes, that shit is hard to quantify. To me Raw is just getting to a spot and putting it down. You can tell when a guy did shit quick or first go rather than taking a while. A guy like Ricky films long lines of some times easy tricks but often on less than ideal spots often as he's traveling through the city. That to me is "raw". Obviously some times he has gone to a spot and is sessioning it. That is less raw.

CotG watch this and tell me what you think.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fSZnZwbDV3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I need a coffee

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
I thought we all were on the same page that CoTG is at least a decent skater who has done some hard shit?

however, if you see Ricky skate in person, or see some of the shit he's done (ie. spots he's skated) then you know the dude is for real.

As far as Raw goes, that shit is hard to quantify. To me Raw is just getting to a spot and putting it down. You can tell when a guy did shit quick or first go rather than taking a while. A guy like Ricky films long lines of some times easy tricks but often on less than ideal spots often as he's traveling through the city. That to me is "raw". Obviously some times he has gone to a spot and is sessioning it. That is less raw.

CotG watch this and tell me what you think.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fSZnZwbDV3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
See this is the problem. In your explanation you give two totally different definitions of what raw is. By the first one, nyjah houston is the rawest skater ever, because he does all his tricks first or second try. I've already pointed out that the second one you said is a falsehood perpetuated by skateboarders who aren't that good, but feel like they deserve coverage. He's not skating spots traveling through the city, he's going out with the intention of filming, just like anyone else that films. No one is following him just skating down the street. He's going out looking for spots that he feels would look good on film. whether you think the spots look better, or worse is up for interpretation, but it is in no way different, than p-rod going to film a line, or reynolds going to hollywood 16.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
I see what you're saying.

but there is a little difference between first go at a street league event and first go at a spot you just got to.

Nyjah is what I would call very talented, I'm not getting much of a raw feeling from his skating it does come off as more "planed out", this doesn't make him bad in my opinion, kid is crazy good.

Next, I'm not the biggest Ricky fan. I'm not trying to glorify or defend him. I'm just trying to explain a bit more of what people are talking about. Seems almost like it's a language barrier. Maybe you're just simply not impressed by showing up and filming what ever comes out naturally and first go. That's fine. The dude is very impressive in person though.
I need a coffee

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »
I hate these arguments. Everyone involved always ends up looking gayer than they actually are. So, I guess it's my turn. A few thoughts:

-COTG is a legitimately good skater.

-Forget the term "raw," and replace it with the word "relatable." As I thought was explained in the video, all anyone means is that the kind of spots and skating Ricky did in the 90s video parts simply more accurately reflected what a lot of people encountered on the east coast and elsewhere than a lot of pro parts did previously. As he said, he wasn't as good as Mike Carroll or Danny Way, but the kind of skating and editing that was in a lot of videos wasn't as true to what a lot of people did at the time. Sunny weather and perfect schoolyards looks like a lot of fun, but if we can't relate to it, it's like watching a great foreign movie without subtitles. It doesn't mean that P-Rod's skating isn't "raw" or that east coast skating is RAWER. It just means that for a lot of people, the experience captured by Ricky's parts was a lot closer to how they skated. From my own experience, when I was younger my mom would just drop me off downtown and the funnest thing in the world was just going fast and ollieing up curbs and skating whatever we encountered. The ground was often horrible and the spots basically unskatable. So we made what we could of it. So, like if you look at Ricky's opening lines in EE3, that sort of feeling is closer to what I(and a lot of others could relate to) than what parts had been prior to that. I assume these are common feelings for a lot of people who watched those Eastern Exposure videos, and it's why so many people got into Ricky and others from that scene.

-Ricky was a legitimately good skater, and the skills displayed in his parts are something COTG just doesn't seem to be able to grasp. Okay-you can ollie "8 skateboards" can you ollie something that high off of ground that's 200 years old with tons of asshole people in the way? Skateboarding skills are more than just what technical moves you can pull off. It is a skill to be able to skate on rough spots.

-If you watch a lot of parts today, many try to emulate these sorts of things. Like the berrics recent "Off The Grid" parts. I think we can all agree those look so fun and they're *gasp* LA spots, and west coast skaters, like Eric Koston! It's just fun to watch fool. Does that mean that it's more "raw" than his regular video parts? No. It just means it's more relatable.

-I think even COTG would have to admit, if he had the choice of watching 2 video parts, and all he knew about them was that one was filmed in real street spots, and the other was filmed at a skatepark, he would choose the one filmed at street spots. We all would. It just looks cooler and that's undeniable. Suck it bitch.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:12:27 PM by NickDagger »
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
So you're saying he doesn't think of tricks? His tricks just come out of his body? and language barrier? If anything it's that you guys don't know what you're saying. If you're trying a line over and over it's because it's planned out. You and I both know, his parts aren't first try. Like i said, if you like that type of skateboarding, that's cool. I'm just pointing out that type of skating isn't anymore raw than any other type of skating. "Raw skateboarding" is propaganda to make people that suck feel superior to good people, by feeling like they have better taste in skateboarding.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
So you're saying he doesn't think of tricks? His tricks just come out of his body? and language barrier? If anything it's that you guys don't know what you're saying. If you're trying a line over and over it's because it's planned out. You and I both know, his parts aren't first try. Like i said, if you like that type of skateboarding, that's cool. I'm just pointing out that type of skating isn't anymore raw than any other type of skating. "Raw skateboarding" is propaganda to make people that suck feel superior to good people, by feeling like they have better taste in skateboarding.

I can actually agree, sometimes terms like "raw" are simply marketing terms. However, when you see guys like Ricky, or Karma, or Cardiel skate in person, well then it starts to make sense. I've also seen Paul Rod skate in person. It's fucking amazing but I can tell you that the way he is going about doing his tricks is a lot different than the way those other three names go about doing their's. It's all fucking sick to me, but it is different.
I need a coffee

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
Yea, one is always trying to learn better tricks, and the others just take their old tricks to "different", "unique",or "raw" spots that are damn near exactly the same.

makingwinewidraisins

• Rep: 3
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
What Ricky was doing in the early to mid nineties was the definition of raw. In a time when going to a school yard and trying a super impossible trick over and over till you make it and probably never will even do the trick again.Ricky and a few of other guys were just exploring the city doing not so difficult shit but just cruising everything and showing that you could skate bigger wheels go faster  explore the rest of the city and that quality is way more than the quantity of tech tricks. The dude does seem full of him self but that kind of attitude was what got Philly more noticed him calling up thrasher telling em they need to run more east coast ads. I don't agree with him beefing it with Stevies crew back in the day or nuthin but it is what it is.