Author Topic: P Rod on AT&T?  (Read 8636 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: P Rod on AT&T?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wow. that target ramp is kinda blowing my mind right now. this dude has his business down pat. he already sold out he might as well sell out all the way.
[close]

hes got it sorted, cant blame the guy. if i was a pro and loads of bullshit companies wanted to give me free stuff and money...i wouldnt turn that shit down just to be core
[close]

fuck being core. that man has a wife & daughter to support. i respect him for "selling out" because he gets to provide his family with just about anything and all he has to skate all day. good job p-rod & anyone else that can turn their passion into a wealthy lifestyle. he aint gotta pay for SHIT, and he still makin hella money!

You are fucking silly.  If you were to only count his Nike checks, he'd still be making more than 75% of what the rest of americans make.  So, I don't think his wife and kid will be hurting.

I wouldn't turn down more free money in this case.  But I'm not going to ever wear a Mtn Dew hat.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
that disgusts me

everypennyfedcar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
  • Getting paid like a biker with the best crank.
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm all for this, but it's funny when you guys talk about him having a wife and kid to support, like the dude was just barely getting by with Target, Mt Dew and Nike money. Reminds me of when Sprewell was negotiating his contract and turned down a 21 million dollar contact saying "Come on man, I got a family to feed!"
[close]
Well I'm sure he's glad he picked $0 over $21,000,000.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3241444
That always strikes me as one of the most ridiculous decisions in history!
Spray it like a high-rank sniper in the West Bank.

FiftyScent

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wow. that target ramp is kinda blowing my mind right now. this dude has his business down pat. he already sold out he might as well sell out all the way.
[close]

hes got it sorted, cant blame the guy. if i was a pro and loads of bullshit companies wanted to give me free stuff and money...i wouldnt turn that shit down just to be core
[close]

fuck being core. that man has a wife & daughter to support. i respect him for "selling out" because he gets to provide his family with just about anything and all he has to skate all day. good job p-rod & anyone else that can turn their passion into a wealthy lifestyle. he aint gotta pay for SHIT, and he still makin hella money!
[close]

You are fucking silly.  If you were to only count his Nike checks, he'd still be making more than 75% of what the rest of americans make.  So, I don't think his wife and kid will be hurting.

I wouldn't turn down more free money in this case.  But I'm not going to ever wear a Mtn Dew hat.

what people fail to realize is that when you are a professional skateboarder, skateboarding becomes your job. the more sponsors the better. if i were pro i seriously wouldnt give a fuck who wanted to sponsor me. its free shit & a nice paycheck. all hes gotta do is skate & throw a sticker on his board while wearing free clothes.   him wearing moutain dew hats & having target stickers on his board has nothing to do with me, or his skating. all it is is product placement, while the skater gets a ton of free shit and a nice check.

plus "selling out" can have other incentives...

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
i remember reading an interview where he was talking about his dad not being down as much with skating or something cuz there was a question of a future in it. the litte in bloom kid is arguably the most successful skateboarder in the world right now and hes only like 26 or something? knock em dead kid

im probably lying

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

what people fail to realize is that when you are a professional skateboarder, skateboarding becomes your job. the more sponsors the better. if i were pro i seriously wouldnt give a fuck who wanted to sponsor me. its free shit & a nice paycheck. all hes gotta do is skate & throw a sticker on his board while wearing free clothes.   him wearing moutain dew hats & having target stickers on his board has nothing to do with me, or his skating. all it is is product placement, while the skater gets a ton of free shit and a nice check.

plus "selling out" can have other incentives...

If you are a professional skateboarder:
Skateboarding becomes your job?  No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
all hes gotta do is skate & throw a sticker on his board while wearing free clothes?  Shit, I did that today, I must be a professional skateboarder.   
The more sponsors the better?  Really?  Like all of them?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
A sticker on your board is considered product placement?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
P-Rod has nothing to do with you?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.

Wow, your reply was insightful.  Keep up good work. 
Oh, one more thing I learned from your post, I'm not people.

brazillionaire

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
i know nobodys askin... but im pretty happy with my shitty life

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
Another lame sponsor to his list.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
guess its kinda how you look on things

Maybe he has family he needs to help ,somebody in debt , or just someone who needs money to pay the bills . Or maybe he wants to get his kids into Harvard or Princeton .

If target came up to me and told me they would give me my own indoor skatepark in trade of target stickers on my board . Id take it .

Skate carers are short too ,  and you will prob not get as much working for the company in sales or stuff .

The other thing is how much money do you need . to get buy , to be happy and so on

Sleeping on ppls couches is cool if you dont have a family , a apartment for wife and kids is cool for some . Other ppl want a big ass house with a 40 inch screen tv ,  pool and in a gated community .

I guess for me it would be enough to live in a big apartment with wife and kids . But If I get the chans Id like to have a house with a big kitchen , big backyard for growing stuff and a miniramp . Hopefully I wont have to "sell out " to get it ...

LoserMachine

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
So does he get free tickets to every Giants game whenever hes in SF?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1142
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
reminds me of tony hawk in the early 00's. i believe he rode for bagel bites and pizza rolls. those were the glory days skateboarding...

and his warehouse doesn't look like crap anymore, good for paul

FiftyScent

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »

Skateboarding becomes your job?  No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
all hes gotta do is skate & throw a sticker on his board while wearing free clothes?  Shit, I did that today, I must be a professional skateboarder.   
The more sponsors the better?  Really?  Like all of them?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
A sticker on your board is considered product placement?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.
P-Rod has nothing to do with you?   No fucking way, I can see how the people might fail to realize that.

i doubt you got paid for it homie. all im sayin is that "selling out" isnt as bad as people make it seem. who wouldnt want to be rich just for skating all the time?

also,  im tired of you niggas always tryna come up with these lame ass sarcastic comebacks. sit the fuck down!

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
I'd sell out so fast I wouldn't even be up river. I'd be in the lake in a yacht.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i doubt you got paid for it homie. all im sayin is that "selling out" isnt as bad as people make it seem. who wouldnt want to be rich just for skating all the time?

also,  im tired of you niggas always tryna come up with these lame ass sarcastic comebacks. sit the fuck down!

I didn't get paid for it. I did put a sticker on my board, skated, and wore free clothes. 

I'm not coming up, I don't have a chair to sit down in right now. 

If your post wasn't so dumb, there would be no need for sarcastic replies.

If you had just said selling out isn't as bad as people make it seem, I'd have just said 'fair enough'.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -487
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
Expand Quote
I mean being in an AT&T ad campaign or doing a commercial for them is one thing but to conciously put a sticker and cut it out on your board along with target stickers is pretty fucking lame.
[close]

thats what you do when you have sponsors dumbass, part of the contract

Oh really? Do the sponsors pay for certain ad placements on each one of his boards? I bet AT&T payed top dollar to be on the nose, hopefully mountain dew doesn't sue him for breach of contract they obviously have had that nose locked down for at least 2 years.

You're the fucking dumbass if you honestly think that's in his contract...

no thanks

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 04:17:35 AM »
you know what shits me about paul rodriguez? it's not the goofy sponsors, the nickname, or the "robotic style" purported by others.
it's the fact that this guy has talent coming out of his ears, and is still doing the same sw tailslide heelflips on tiny ledges he's been doing for the past 10 years.

motherfucker should be the next daewon, koston, appleyard, arto, reynolds etc. etc.  instead he's skating in warehouses with giant target logos around and chasing other dubious sponsorship contracts. 

where other skaters have continued to progress, he has stayed at the exact same level as his street cinema/in bloom days (which are still good, don't get me wrong), only difference being more expensive clothes and jewellery.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 04:33:07 AM »
you know what shits me about paul rodriguez? it's not the goofy sponsors, the nickname, or the "robotic style" purported by others.
it's the fact that this guy has talent coming out of his ears, and is still doing the same sw tailslide heelflips on tiny ledges he's been doing for the past 10 years.

motherfucker should be the next daewon, koston, appleyard, arto, reynolds etc. etc.  instead he's skating in warehouses with giant target logos around and chasing other dubious sponsorship contracts. 

where other skaters have continued to progress, he has stayed at the exact same level as his street cinema/in bloom days (which are still good, don't get me wrong), only difference being more expensive clothes and jewellery.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 05:42:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

so from that, 03:55 - 04:14 - good stuff, along with the sw flip back lip, sw b/s noseblunt, fakie hard sw b/s 5-0 and nollie f/s 270 flip to sw bs tail.

Other 4 minutes of filler done everywhere else. wasn't that his first official plan b part, and about 4 years of filming?

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 08:01:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I mean being in an AT&T ad campaign or doing a commercial for them is one thing but to conciously put a sticker and cut it out on your board along with target stickers is pretty fucking lame.
[close]

thats what you do when you have sponsors dumbass, part of the contract
[close]

Oh really? Do the sponsors pay for certain ad placements on each one of his boards? I bet AT&T payed top dollar to be on the nose, hopefully mountain dew doesn't sue him for breach of contract they obviously have had that nose locked down for at least 2 years.

You're the fucking dumbass if you honestly think that's in his contract...
i believe it's called photo incentive

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
if he love money so much he just have to open a buch of tim horton in canada
tricks are for kids , style is forever

FiftyScent

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

motherfucker should be the next daewon, koston, appleyard, arto, reynolds etc. etc.� instead he's skating in warehouses with giant target logos around and chasing other dubious sponsorship contracts.�

[close]

[close]
so from that, 03:55 - 04:14 - good stuff, along with the sw flip back lip, sw b/s noseblunt, fakie hard sw b/s 5-0 and nollie f/s 270 flip to sw bs tail.

Other 4 minutes of filler done everywhere else. wasn't that his first official plan b part, and about 4 years of filming?

he said most of the footage was just a bunch of shit he had piling up for a while so he & plan b decided on releasing it as a solo part. im sure a few new clips were thrown in but thats definitely not ALL of his plan b footage. even still, how can you say that shit was filler? his lines were all pretty tech

and as far as him being the next daewon or koston or whatever, he pretty much is for this generation. to be honest it just sounds like your biased cuz of his "dubious sponsorships"

i dont see any real reason to hate on the guy. hes good as fuck, humble, & a total skate rat. he's a skaters skater lol

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
a skaters skater lol
tricks are for kids , style is forever

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:48 AM »
Fair enough, money is money, man's gotta eat....

But it must get a little soul-destroying knowing what you wear, do, say, use, eat and drink are restricted by a multitude of endorsement contracts.

And that fucking MTN Dew hat - there's got to come a point where he's got to really hate having to wear that all the time.

Jupiter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1953
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I didn't get paid for it. I did put a sticker on my board, skated, and wore free clothes. 

If you had just said selling out isn't as bad as people make it seem, I'd have just said 'fair enough'.

My face halfway through this post when I realized that you were trying to compare yourself to P-Rod:

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

My face halfway through this post when I realized that you were trying to compare yourself to P-Rod:

Uh, no.

bandini

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
Seems like folks have lost track of what "selling out" actually means.

It used to mean that you'd have to change what you were doing in order to cash in. Like, a band would "sell out" to get on a major label by taking their edgy, progressive music and watering it down to make it radio-friendly.

To sell out there has to be some indication that you've compromised your integrity or vision in order to fit into the corporate plan and get those dollars.

I don't see any sign that Prod has "watered down" his skating in order to be more corporate-friendly. I actually think his natural personality is pretty corporate friendly, and that his ideals are pretty much in line with the average corporate mentality, so I doubt very much he's doing anything he doesn't believe in by joining up with them.

ster

• Rep: -13
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
Seems like folks have lost track of what "selling out" actually means.

It used to mean that you'd have to change what you were doing in order to cash in. Like, a band would "sell out" to get on a major label by taking their edgy, progressive music and watering it down to make it radio-friendly.

To sell out there has to be some indication that you've compromised your integrity or vision in order to fit into the corporate plan and get those dollars.

I don't see any sign that Prod has "watered down" his skating in order to be more corporate-friendly. I actually think his natural personality is pretty corporate friendly, and that his ideals are pretty much in line with the average corporate mentality, so I doubt very much he's doing anything he doesn't believe in by joining up with them.

this. the man is just naturally sellable.

and i would totally sell out anyways. fuck yeah, moneys!

grae

• Rep: 1
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »

motherfucker should be the next daewon, koston, appleyard, arto, reynolds etc. etc.?  instead he's skating in warehouses with giant target logos around and chasing other dubious sponsorship contracts.? 

Damn, throwing appleyard in that list is a bit of an overstatement. Dudes one of my favorites but he seems to be milking it for the past year or two. These days p rods shitting on appleyard. Pretty much agree with the rest of your post though.