Author Topic: griptape spiel  (Read 10069 times)

muk_mb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: griptape spiel
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
Yeah, Jessup had some bad batches of grip tape come out. Wherever you got that crappy Jessup from wasn't paying attention and you should go slap them. Good jessup is good, you just need to go somewhere that doesn't try to sell you the mistake batch.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
It's grip, you guys are neurotic. I do it myself but only because I get my shit bro flow.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
Once placement is determined, I hold both ends up like a "U" and press down in the middle and work my way to the ends. All the bubbles (what few exist) will be purged on the first pass. I'll also file downward after the cut to avoid peeling.

I have no problem having the shop grip it, but I have to torque the bolts down myself as I like them countersunk just below the griptape to allow extra room for future re-tightening.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »
when I waslike 15 I got a deck from some skate/surf shop in Virginia, and when I wasn't really paying attention they not only grippedit for me, but they used THEIR grip with their shop logo, which was just a weird looking "H". So I just changed it to read "Hungry Hungry Hippos".

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
Some would say grip is all the same, but I like Mob personally, I think it's really grippy. I always ask for it when I have to order a board, and they always send me FUCKING BLACK MAGIC! WHY! I JUST WANT MOBB!!!!!!

BraveUlysses

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
Yeah I don't understand kids who don't grip their own boards. I've been gripping my girlfriend's cousins boards because he's 12 and his parents don't want him fucking around with a razor blade (a little overprotective but understandable) but other than that, no-one gets a pass. I tried to do Drehobl grip a while back and fucked up a little bit since I was drunk, but that was fun. Normally it's just plain though. The only really obsessive thing I do is I always paint the top right bolt with a green paint marker. Ever since my first set of bolts (the Lucky bolts with the one green one) if the top right bolt isn't green, I get way less confident about landing tricks for whatever reason.
Why would I grip my own board when it's gonna look exactly the same as the grip job the dude at the shop does.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah I don't understand kids who don't grip their own boards. I've been gripping my girlfriend's cousins boards because he's 12 and his parents don't want him fucking around with a razor blade (a little overprotective but understandable) but other than that, no-one gets a pass. I tried to do Drehobl grip a while back and fucked up a little bit since I was drunk, but that was fun. Normally it's just plain though. The only really obsessive thing I do is I always paint the top right bolt with a green paint marker. Ever since my first set of bolts (the Lucky bolts with the one green one) if the top right bolt isn't green, I get way less confident about landing tricks for whatever reason.
[close]
Why would I grip my own board when it's gonna look exactly the same as the grip job the dude at the shop does.
fair enough. I just feel better rolling around knowing that I put everything together on my setup.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

stonerjesus.

• Rep: 3
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »
Some would say grip is all the same, but I like Mob personally, I think it's really grippy. I always ask for it when I have to order a board, and they always send me FUCKING BLACK MAGIC! WHY! I JUST WANT MOBB!!!!!!

Punishment For Ordering Online, Bud.

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 09:22:34 AM »
I used to have a line going longways through the grip, but now I just stick it on there normally. Also, I don't like other people gripping my boards.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
I grip my own boards in the hope of doing it correctly, still haven't. I know what to do but when I cut the griptape it gets jagged. I stick with Mob unless I'm really low on cash I'll get the free grip.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
I grip my own boards in the hope of doing it correctly, still haven't. I know what to do but when I cut the griptape it gets jagged. I stick with Mob unless I'm really low on cash I'll get the free grip.
The shop's free grip is Mob.  ;D
Otherwise, maybe a line through the middle in front of the back bolts. But other than that, black.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »

Same here. I'm so bad at gripping my boards. Never get air bubbles, I just can never seem to cut it as clean as I like. Whatevs though. Like people have said, you fuck up once, your board goes flying or lands on its side/upside down, it doesn't really matter. 

For griptape rituals, I cut an "X" in my front bolts. Try to get it as symmetrical as possible, but doesn't always work.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
By the way, only shop I've ever seen charge to grip boards or set-up is Valley Skate and Surf in the San Fernando Valley, CA

http://www.valleyskateandsurf.info/
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »
By the way, only shop I've ever seen charge to grip boards or set-up is Valley Skate and Surf in the San Fernando Valley, CA

Ha - how much is the "charge"?

I normally tip the guy at the shop if he does grip it for.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
Back in the day, when people gripped their boards, they would lightly sand the top of the deck before to make it stick better. But it seems like that's gone the way of the dodo. Why the change and was it ever necessary to do that in the first place? I don't think the grip will come off if you don't do that. Or maybe some people still do that ...

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 592
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
Back in the day, when people gripped their boards, they would lightly sand the top of the deck before to make it stick better. But it seems like that's gone the way of the dodo. Why the change and was it ever necessary to do that in the first place? I don't think the grip will come off if you don't do that. Or maybe some people still do that ...
Now it's a post grip thing. That way you can sand off the messed up parts and get them to stick better
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 12:28:39 PM »

when i get boards made by fickle skateboards, he doesnt lacquer the top of the deck. i guess that is supposed to help with adhesion. I've noticed pretty much every other board I've skated has been like fully lacquered to make it as shiny as possible i guess with the hopes of enticing the buyer.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
always cut my own because i like to have a tiny bit of the top graphic/colour showing, like 1-2mm. hate having slightly overhanging grip ya dig

tend to ride MOB but riding jessops at the moment because when i got a new deck (somehow) it waas too cold for MOB to actually stick to my board.

I usually just write PWBC infront of my front toe, but sometimes ill get stoned and write/draw loads of stupid shit all over it and end up re-gripping it a few days after

Have had this issue, inferior glue is my assumption, but it probably doesn't matter if you live in a warm climate.
Personally, I prefer Jessup.

Dengles

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
I switched to Jessup about two winters ago, if was one of the few winters in Maryland that were actually cold and my Mob grip would just peel off on cold days, happened twice that winter.  I was out skating street with friends in DC the first time it happened and I had no idea what to do at first. 

Xtal

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »
Never understood the Mob hype. I don't skate with super dirty shoes, but if the slightest amount of dust or dirt is on my soles the little perforations absorb that shit instantly and I hate dirty griptape. I literally have to bust out Grip Gum after nearly every session even if I'm at a clean outdoor or indoor park. Jessup, Iron Horse, or Black Magic if you need a little extra grip. Mob is whack.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 592
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2016, 10:45:09 PM »
Never understood the Mob hype. I don't skate with super dirty shoes, but if the slightest amount of dust or dirt is on my soles the little perforations absorb that shit instantly and I hate dirty griptape. I literally have to bust out Grip Gum after nearly every session even if I'm at a clean outdoor or indoor park. Jessup, Iron Horse, or Black Magic if you need a little extra grip. Mob is whack.
I have the opposite of that, Mob and loose trucks save lives haha. I did the splits or had weird ass injuries on anything that wasn't Mob so I'm loyal to them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Jordick

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »
As much as I don't really like the big print, Shake Junt feels so good. Definitely my favorite, and it makes me forget about the dumb slogan/logo on top.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 04:39:41 AM »
jessup is king. mob is grippy and nice, but if you like doodling on your grip it shreds up paint pens after one or two decks. with jessup i usually get six or seven boards in with a set of paint pens before i need to re-up.

also, everyone should grip their own boards. no ifs ands or buts about it.
good come sausage

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2016, 05:47:06 AM »
diamond grizzly fucking sucks. not really grippy from the start, the grippyness doesnt last long and the fucking teddy bear stencil annoys the fuck out of me.
got it for free and thought i would give it a try, but i absolutely fucking hate it. worst grip
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:02:19 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 08:50:34 AM »

"skateboards"

lol at that whole site, but charging to grip would be great idea for shops like zumiez. With the amount of customers who actually can't grip a board, they could probably charge like $10 for it.

.Lain

• Rep: 2
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
how hard could it be to grip a board? it's not rocket science
lay flat, pat outwards, mark your lines, use a sharp blade (i use a fresh stanley blade/box cutter), done
if you get an airbubble just poke it with a needle

jessup forever because griptape is super disposable. fuck spending any more than i need to on that

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
whilst at school and younger and poorer, I took a retail job at a surf shop that sold skateboards. pretty kooky.

a guy bought a board, stickers, and clear griptape. he asked the gripping kid to put the stickers on the top of the board,
and the clear grip over so "they don't get scratched off."

I get that all the time. Before Christmas, I had a dad come into the shop that wanted to get his kid a board, but "fully customize" it. He saw my boss's board had clear grip and wanted clear grip for the deck he picked out. He went through our stickers to put under the deck, picked out some whatever, then asked me to basically do the sticker job for him. I told him that he should just give the kid the board, have him sticker it, then bring it back for me to grip it if that's what the kid wanted. Dude went full dad-mode on me and said that I'm only getting paid for "customizing boards." I didn't but was nice about it, so the dad stickers it himself and then I gripped it. Last weekend, they came in and the kid hated it, wanted me to peel off the grip put jessup on, said no because it's too much a pain in the ass but that I would put grip on it again if they peeled it off themselves. Got the same lecture on what my job is supposed to be from the dad. Way of the world.

ZEBRA

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »
whilst at school and younger and poorer, I took a retail job at a surf shop that sold skateboards. pretty kooky.

a guy bought a board, stickers, and clear griptape. he asked the gripping kid to put the stickers on the top of the board,
and the clear grip over so "they don't get scratched off."

Knew a kid when I first started skating that had all these awesome stickers. Toy Machine monster, a big ass Bone Swiss sticker, etc. I was drooling over them. Come to find out him and his mom laminated the stickers for a placematt for the kids desk. I was like,"Why??" His mom basically looked at me like I was regular."Cause they just get ruined if you stick them on your board! What's the point??" I was 12. She mean mugged me so hard for that. They turned out to be kooks. The mom was ridiculous.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Punishment For Ordering Online, Bud.

Or PFOOB for short. A mix of "fool" and "boob." 

But don't anyone ever...ever...mention Chris Pfanner in the same breath.

LookyLurkerLou

• Rep: -4
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2016, 04:31:45 PM »
Guy at my local shop said letting someone grip or set up your board is like letting them make out with your chick. Truest shit i've ever heard.