Author Topic: Berra Espn interview "doing away with tapes/disc media"  (Read 6221 times)

Tim_Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Berra Espn interview "doing away with tapes/disc media"
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
Didn't see this anywhere yet but if there's already a thread then go ahead and delete this one.
http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/blog/_/post/7661462/appleyard-sacred-street-footage

Berra talks about how he wants to do away with physical videos, unless they're online skatepark montages for free or online street parts that you have to pay for. Kind of a bummer to be honest. Obviously dvds/etc. will still be around, but the skateboard industry is moving in this direction already.

victor333

Re: Berra Espn interview "doing away with tapes/disc media"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
meh.

If you're marginally tech-savy, you can just burn your own disc, if that's your thing.

And we don't have to waste plastic, paper, and whatever else goes in to making, packing, and distributing DVDs.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »
God's gift to skateboarding strikes again.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
i despise the phrase "street part". what's next? bowl parts? alleyway parts? hill parts? grassride parts? night parts? day parts? i do agree though, that the person skating should be the one that actually makes the money as opposed to apple etc. i'm sure there will be some mix-up or arguments between pros and companies about this solo approach to videos somewhere down the road though.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »
Damn, i hate trying to watch videos on my slow ass computer.

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
"Our philosophy is that Berrics footage, inside our skatepark, should always be free. Street footage, however, should never be."

Get that money Berra.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
Where's daskateboard d00d? I heard he's berra in that one thread about himself.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
He's such a douche for having the attitude like they are so forward in their thinking about the future of distributing skateboarding through the internet and doing away with physical copies. The fact is there is nothing new about this form of distributing media and it was only natural for all forms of media to move away from physical and go towards digital. I won't be surprised when skate videos start streaming on Netflix and Hulu (if they don't already?). Physical distribution of media is never going to go away completely but this was already the next step for everyone, inside and out of the skate industry.

Also, I like how he just doesn't admit that a street part should never be free because he's a money hungry piece of shit who can't cut it in skateboarding anymore without feeding off of other people's talent and plastic benches.
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

otis shredding

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:58:20 PM »
i despise the phrase "street part". what's next? bowl parts? alleyway parts? hill parts? grassride parts? night parts? day parts? i do agree though, that the person skating should be the one that actually makes the money as opposed to apple etc. i'm sure there will be some mix-up or arguments between pros and companies about this solo approach to videos somewhere down the road though.
this!
side note, Berra believes they should premiere parts with actual footage on a website that does "exclusive" premieres for parts filmed in his skatepark of scientology. No Berra, I could really care less about the next cookie cuter skater to film a part inside in the dark...

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
I miss bringing skate flicks over to a buds house before shredding.

Now we have to crowd around some stinky skateboarder and watch a web clip over his shoulder.
For Your Health

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »

Now we have to crowd around some stinky skateboarder and watch a web clip over his shoulder.

This.  So much this.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This.  So much this.

apple tv or http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computer+to+tv+chord .
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:56:38 PM by tkp »

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This. �So much this.
[close]

apple tv or http://lmgtfy.com/?q=computer+to+tv+chord .

Yeah I hook my computer up to the tv to watch a lot of things.  That's not what I'm talking about though.  Talkin about a new video that just came out and your buddy has it and brings it over to watch before we go skate and it gets us hyped as fuck.  Or that old video that you have that always gets you hyped to skate that you bring to your buddies that he doesn't have.  You know what I'm talking about.  It was fun, it doesn't happen much anymore.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »
Appleyard will make 100 percent of the profit on the digital downloads...

^Somehow, I doubt that. Steve can't let him take it all, he's still so poor from all his bills and lack of money  ::)

On the topic of paying for videos, I'm fine with that. Paying for a single video part? Really? I hate how much Berra hits on how important it is that the skater never just release a part for free. I understand being rewarded for your efforts, but isn't that why pros get paid for what they do? It's part of the job description. If the part gets people hyped, they buy that dude's boards, and dude earns his money.

They're getting pros to release full street video parts online so that they can catch up to our web traffic. It makes no sense.

Actually, other sites release videos/parts for free because they aren't constantly trying to make money off their viewers. They're just trying to share quality skateboarding with the general public. Get your dick out of your mouth and stop thinking that everyone is trying to keep up with you.

Street parts are far too sacred to be releasing them for free online -- that's the bottom line.

They're so sacred that nobody should ever have a hard copy of them? That's the best part of owning skate videos... being able to hold them in your hands and put them in the vcr, dvd player, etc. Any time someone uses phrases like "that's the bottom line" or "the fact of the matter is" clearly shows they have nothing else to back up what they're saying and are declaring their opinion a fact.

Every time I hear or read something new about Berra it always involves him justifying charging people for everything. I'm sure it's a matter of time before you have to "donate" to the berrics to even have full access to the site. And like someone else said, I hate how he acts like he's so far ahead of people and being different.
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
people should have the choice, but i get that companies don't want to sink money into full length videos if they aren't seeing anything more back than if they released it online part by part. if they do release parts online, especially if you are paying, there should be a raw uncompressed .iso file or whatever. burn it yourself and take it to your friends house. no one is forcing you to watch these things online. i think some people may be bummed on everyone seeing everything at the same time at their own house/computers, instead of everyone watching it together on a tv for the first time.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
paying for individual parts is bullshit. i dont know why anyone would pay for those. and i hate watching videos on my computer. i like being able to watch it on my TV or bring it to the park/buddies place to watch it before/during/after the sesh. unfortunately it seems like no one buys videos (on dvd) anymore. besides myself i can only think of 1 or 2 other people who still but videos. kind of lame, but whatever.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 11:46:29 PM »

By the time I started skating and watching skate videos I had a friend who would burn me copies of the videos he had. We would occasionally go to his house and watch some videos and get pumped to shred.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 12:01:21 AM »
He's such a douche for having the attitude like they are so forward in their thinking about the future of distributing skateboarding through the internet and doing away with physical copies. The fact is there is nothing new about this form of distributing media and it was only natural for all forms of media to move away from physical and go towards digital. I won't be surprised when skate videos start streaming on Netflix and Hulu (if they don't already?). Physical distribution of media is never going to go away completely but this was already the next step for everyone, inside and out of the skate industry.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
And we don't have to waste plastic, paper, and whatever else goes in to making, packing, and distributing DVDs.

Been rocking a laptop sans optical drive for almost a year and haven't missed it once.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 02:40:15 AM »
dylan released his part for free, and on disc at that. now look how many sales his shoes are pulling in, and how many more models he has at that, berra needs to learn, you dont skate and you dont have an opinion!

Box of Frogs

• Rep: 7
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 02:42:47 AM »
Its wierd to go from team videos to one man iTunes clips

Erica's boyfriend is stealing our erica and our dylan! fuck that guy!

Vianouz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 02:49:18 AM »
Berra you're a faggot, i will never buy anything from you/berrics. Online parts should be free, but im still down to buy dvds

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^Somehow, I doubt that. Steve can't let him take it all, he's still so poor from all his bills and lack of money  ::)
You misunderstand the word "profit".

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You misunderstand the word "profit".

i think you misunderstood the word "steve"

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:11 AM »
fuck, it sucks that 5boro put their vid on thrasher. that thing woulda been so much more valuable on the berrics!

KatyPerry

• Rep: -1
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
fuck, it sucks that 5boro put their vid on thrasher. that thing woulda been so much more valuable on the berrics!

It's cool that 5boro put that video up for free... same with Dylan's Gravis part.  I don't mind paying some money for a decent vid or even video part.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
sarcasm. i have no idea how paying for a digital copy something makes it better than getting it for free

Hatechild

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
I'm down for the skater/filmer getting paid 100%. I just wish Berra wasn't affiliated with it.

Speaking of free parts released....

ivegotlevitation

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
I wish The Berrics wasn't the platform in which the one person video parts were being released. Instead, it should be sold or become downloadable for free through the actual company's website in which the rider wants to release the part through. If pros/ams want to film a fucking video part, they need to get out in the streets and find some real shit to skate, not film tricks on so-called "street" obstacles in a skatepark.