Author Topic: NBA Thread  (Read 368834 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
Re: NBA Thread
« Reply #4710 on: March 09, 2023, 06:30:20 PM »
Expand Quote
KD stuff is a bummer

Hyped on my Knicks, hard to explain but this is the first squad I really feel ”connected” to since the 2000-01 season.

Also I’m about 70%-80% sure all the Morant stuff is some weird guerrilla marketing from Nike and his agent. Nobody is suddenly that dumb, they’re clearly trying to create a marketable persona. Expect an amazing commercial for his new shoe either right before playoffs or during the summer.
[close]
not sure how flexing a gun on IG live, hitting a 17 year old, and rolling with an entourage of people aiming guns at opposing team buses could be an effective marketing tactic. honestly feel like they're worried they just hooked up with Kyrie 2.0 lol

Yeah, a company the size of Nike isn’t stoked their new pro shoe haver is starting a scrappy Doo meets Javaris Crittenden phase. 

22 y/o are idiots.  22 y/o millionaires are even bigger idiots.   22 y/o millionaires surrounded by yes men are topping the bad decisions chart.  Not everything is a work

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #4711 on: March 09, 2023, 07:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
KD stuff is a bummer

Hyped on my Knicks, hard to explain but this is the first squad I really feel ”connected” to since the 2000-01 season.

Also I’m about 70%-80% sure all the Morant stuff is some weird guerrilla marketing from Nike and his agent. Nobody is suddenly that dumb, they’re clearly trying to create a marketable persona. Expect an amazing commercial for his new shoe either right before playoffs or during the summer.
[close]
not sure how flexing a gun on IG live, hitting a 17 year old, and rolling with an entourage of people aiming guns at opposing team buses could be an effective marketing tactic. honestly feel like they're worried they just hooked up with Kyrie 2.0 lol

I’m not saying Nike gave Morant a .22, but they are definitely interested in marketing him as a Gen-Z John Wall that hoops like a bigger D Rose. IMO it’s naive to believe that the advertising branch at Nike isn’t salivating at how Ja’s controversy will play into the release of his upcoming shoe and clothing line.

Five things raise my eyebrow about this shit:

- Instagram live has been around for what, a fucking decade? Somehow the first pro dumb enough to show off a gun is coincidentally the same guy that’s been trying to brand himself as a tough guy for the past year?

- Nike never condemns his actions, they just support his obviously phoned in apology.

- Also Nike gifted him that stupid gaudy chain the weekend prior with the intent for him to show it off on social media (because why else would a shoe company gift a millionaire a chain?)

- They gave him the pro shoe after two of the four gun incidents already happened…the two that were actually threats with actual guns! While the pro model was in the works they confidently moved up the release window after dropping Kyrie knowing these things were floating around.

- While he’s is currently suspended, he’s yet to be fined by anybody, or is in any legal trouble over any of this, no arrests, not even reports on any out of court settlements. He’s lost more money arguing with refs, what kinda shit is that?!

This is a rollout on some Attitude era WWE type shit!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:58:16 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4712 on: March 10, 2023, 07:04:46 AM »
It’s definitely the strangest thing I’ve witnessed in the NBA in years… don’t think he was like that at all in college or his early seasons.

They were such a scrappy and fun team to root for. Complete 180… although i hope we get a dubs/grizz matchup in the playoffs…

Same with suns/mavs…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

rothdigga

• Rep: 571
« Reply #4713 on: March 10, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »
As a Lakers fan, Derek Fisher should have had his jersey retired before Pau, but as a sports fan it’s always kinda neat for it to happen regardless

The Lakers have a standing rule that no one gets a retired jersey unless they're in the hall of fame.  So it sucks, but Coop, Fish and Horry probably won't ever get their jersey's hung up.  It's a hard club to be a part of!  I loved Pau the whole time he was here and I actually had tickets for that game to go see the retirement ceremony that I had to give up (wife's grandma was in hospital so real life got in the way).  I felt like we did Pau dirty at the end of his Laker career but he was always a gentleman about it all. 

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
« Reply #4714 on: March 10, 2023, 02:23:44 PM »
Grizzlies wanna be the bad boy pistons so bad. Loved seeing them beat the warriors with a baseball bat though

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4715 on: March 10, 2023, 03:45:43 PM »
Grizzlies wanna be the bad boy pistons so bad. Loved seeing them beat the warriors with a baseball bat though

NBA’s new heel we’ve been missing for a while… I’m all for it. But the script writer HAS to give us a matchup between them lol

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4716 on: March 10, 2023, 05:28:38 PM »
Expand Quote
As a Lakers fan, Derek Fisher should have had his jersey retired before Pau, but as a sports fan it’s always kinda neat for it to happen regardless
[close]

The Lakers have a standing rule that no one gets a retired jersey unless they're in the hall of fame.  So it sucks, but Coop, Fish and Horry probably won't ever get their jersey's hung up.  It's a hard club to be a part of!  I loved Pau the whole time he was here and I actually had tickets for that game to go see the retirement ceremony that I had to give up (wife's grandma was in hospital so real life got in the way).  I felt like we did Pau dirty at the end of his Laker career but he was always a gentleman about it all.

I thought that might have been the case - I don’t pay attention much to HoF and thought it must have been too early for Pau to be in there, but I guess he’s been retired for long enough…

Cooper I always imagined was retired bc of his being the only Laker with a DPOY but I’ve seen 21 used enough (Kareem Rush is the only one I can think of) that I should know better

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4717 on: March 10, 2023, 07:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

NBA’s new heel we’ve been missing for a while… I’m all for it. But the script writer HAS to give us a matchup between them lol

Mahorn and Laimbeer would have Dillon Brooks in a gimp mask. 😂
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4718 on: March 10, 2023, 08:32:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ja and Brooks have real Illegal Civ energy to them

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4719 on: March 10, 2023, 09:12:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ja and Brooks have real Illegal Civ energy to them

That about sums it up.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4720 on: March 11, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »
sixers lose for 47 minutes and 59 seconds and still get the W

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4721 on: April 10, 2023, 08:26:44 PM »
Surprised this thread has gone so quiet.  Is Philly not feeling itself?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4722 on: April 10, 2023, 08:33:52 PM »
This year feels wide open. I think we're all afraid to jinx it by bragging and fuck shit up for our respective teams

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4723 on: April 10, 2023, 08:45:10 PM »
This year feels wide open. I think we're all afraid to jinx it by bragging and fuck shit up for our respective teams

Fair enough - I thought at least some Embiid MVP talk.   

I feel the same way bc of this stupid media narrative that the lakers could go all the way.   Don’t really like seeing articles or pundits pushing this fairytale

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4724 on: April 10, 2023, 09:04:59 PM »

No risk of bragging about the Mavs here

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4725 on: April 10, 2023, 09:09:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you own your draft pics at least?

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4726 on: April 11, 2023, 01:36:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you own your draft pics at least?

If it’s top ten… thus the disgraceful tank these past two games
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 06:41:43 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4727 on: April 11, 2023, 03:59:49 AM »
Surprised this thread has gone so quiet.  Is Philly not feeling itself?

we will lose in the second round to the boston celtics

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4728 on: April 11, 2023, 08:05:43 AM »
bucks time  8)

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4729 on: April 11, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
I really don't want to jinx it, but it would be so funny if cp3 and kd get knocked out of the playoffs by russ and kawhi.

live, laugh, love

« Reply #4730 on: April 11, 2023, 06:10:16 PM »
These playoffs are really open for anyone. Not expecting much from my Nets. Sixers have dealt with us us pretty easily all season.

Embiid deserves MVP. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't want that guy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:18:41 AM by live, laugh, love »

slimvanilla

« Reply #4731 on: April 11, 2023, 10:00:11 PM »
this Lakers Twolves play-in game might be the worst display of professional hoops I've ever seen

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #4732 on: April 11, 2023, 10:07:16 PM »
How was that game excellent and fucking terrible at the same time?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4733 on: April 11, 2023, 11:29:19 PM »
Haven’t not really watched the Grizzlies much (I rarely watch games that don’t involve a team I have an emotional attachment to), how much does not having Steven Adams affect them?   

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4734 on: April 12, 2023, 05:49:12 AM »
Any wolves fans here? What a mess… i mean sure my team is essentially 19 year olds playing 2K, but players fighting and punching walls.. yeeesh.

Just revisiting this…

I think it would’ve be pretty sick if Sac makes a little run…
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 06:01:39 AM by whitemanjazz »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4735 on: April 12, 2023, 07:26:10 AM »
what really stings looking at that is that walker kessler turned into a better version of rudy g almost instantly

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #4736 on: April 12, 2023, 07:45:42 AM »
Any wolves fans here? What a mess… i mean sure my team is essentially 19 year olds playing 2K, but players fighting and punching walls.. yeeesh.

Just revisiting this…

I think it would’ve be pretty sick if Sac makes a little run…

I'm from MN and a fair weather Wolves fan. That ranks as one of the worst trades in NBA history, and will handcuff us to mediocrity for the next 5+ years. Dare I say Finch will be fired after the next game, assuming we get smoked.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4737 on: April 12, 2023, 09:11:48 AM »
That was one of the funniest games I've ever seen in my life. Benny hill ass basketball

live, laugh, love

« Reply #4738 on: April 12, 2023, 06:41:16 PM »
I hope someone gifts DeMar DeRozan's screaming little girl tickets to the Masters next spring.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #4739 on: April 12, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »
Crazy game, that Siakam dunk late in the 4th so tough