Author Topic: The Deathwish Video  (Read 143716 times)

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: The Deathwish Video
« Reply #630 on: April 22, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
I bought the video today from my local shop, and thought it was pretty good. I expected alot better from all the hype on here. I can't say I enjoy the Neen ninja kick style though.
Only thing that was lacking was Moose and Ellington. Somehow i thought they would put out legendary parts due to their status'.. Moose 360ed over a rail 4 YEARS AGO, for everyone saying he should be pro is wrong. You can't come out that strong and put out this type of part 4 years later. It was sick, but needs more hammers for a deathwish pro. Dickson's alley oop halfcab over the rail was one of the gnarliest tricks ever, great power and versatility the whole part

frankwinslow

• Rep: 4
« Reply #631 on: April 22, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
Ive finally gotten a chance to watch it a few times and this video seriously is an instant classic

Lizards part was an awesome way to start it off and GG Allen really worked well and all the lines he did were fucking awesome. He did a kickflip backlip bigspin pop out in the middle of like a skinny ledge that was really sick and a no comply back disaster but no complys the way you would frontside which was cool to see too. He has one of my favorite kickflips right now.Front nose down 16 has to be absolutely terrifying to try. Furby's part was solid and pretty much everything that I expected and more. Same goes for Moose, Holy shit that kid is REALLY fucking good and can definitely get pretty tech aswell as gnarly. I think he should of got the pro nod along with Jon. It would of made sense to turn the 2 ams pro together considering there are 2 new ams that just got added.
Slash's part is one of those parts that make you want to go out and just skate as fast ass you can lol.
I couldn't of hoped for more of a classic Ellington part.
I love Neen's style and really liked his stuff alot even though it seemed like most of it was pretty old considering it was mostly footage from when he rode for Nike.
I knew that Jim has been working really hard on this part but I was still blown away at how good it was. I had high expectations and was still shocked as to how much he put into it/how gnarly it was.
Dickson seems like one of those kids that can just do every single trick and as sick as his part was, I feel like Jim should of had the ender. Not to take anything away from Dicksons last trick was bc it was super gnarly but I feel like there are alot of people out there that could of done that and they could of picked something else for his last trick
The Rumney/Kirby part was really sick to even though it was short, I feel like it still could of worked in the video somehow instead of the bonus (I don't remember who, but someone at the premiere said it was a last minute decision to make it in the bonus). Kirbys lipslide/nosegrind on that handrail in the ditch were both insane aswell as Rumney's 5050 on the curved rail that Baca noseslid. He also ollied the Hollywood 12 with a chain across the top which must of been terrifying. Alot of his stuff also seemed like it was on the East Coast which was a nice mix up. Im looking forward to seeing alot more of the 2 of them in the future.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:37:24 PM by frankwinslow »

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #632 on: April 22, 2013, 10:57:40 PM »
such a sick video- will be on repeat for a while. real easy to watch the whole thing which is the best thing to me.

was surprised to see some alternate angles from the shake junt vid in there... like furbys varial heel and a few other little things... also some glam rock tricks of grecs are missing. but mad props to the bakerboys though- instant classic!

oldgoodburger

« Reply #633 on: April 22, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
stoked on mj in the friends section

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #634 on: April 23, 2013, 03:23:18 AM »
moose gets skipped

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #635 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03:27 AM »
moose gets skipped

Youre mad, moose goes in.

One of those guys who can hit huge handrails,  or get tech, and make either look good.

Fake Tits

« Reply #636 on: April 23, 2013, 04:23:40 AM »
Just bought it.

Furby!!! I don't care what anyone says, that kid rips.  Big shit that looks like he's doing it down a 3 stair. 

Slash's fakie front board was nuts. I can't imagine rolling up to that would be easy.  And his ender!!

Never really been a fan of Greco but holy shit he went in!!! 

The rest was rad but that shit stood out to me.

BarcelonaCEO

• Rep: -24
« Reply #637 on: April 23, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »
jim greco, I'm speechless

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #638 on: April 23, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
After watching the video again I'm even more stoked on the Ellington/Alice Cooper combo, thats a perfect match.  Part of me wishes that Greco had the last part with the awesome Slayer song choice but I can't hate on Jon Dickson.  I liked the video a lot more than I thought I would, I normally can't stand the BakerBoys stuff
For Your Health

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #639 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »
just watched it.... the skating was on point and a great soundtrack too.
i really liked neen's part... the cramps helped a lot
greco killed it... so many crazy tricks
jon dickson is a maniac

need to watch it again tomorrow

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #640 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
Hopefully the limited edish DVD will arrive tomorrow morning in time for my birthday (oh wouldn't that be nice), but for now I'm downloading a link I gots if anyone assholes are still salivating and panting at the though of something free to hate on.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Dirty Daventry

• Rep: -25
« Reply #641 on: April 23, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
Someone put a copy on Piratebay, but didnt remove the DRM signature thingy first, so when you play it it asks for that guys iTunes password.
Catch me at the crib getting light to Jeff Mangum
It's fun to do bad things like rhyme about handguns

deluxxxe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #642 on: April 23, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
someone for the love of god upload the bonus shit, my shop sucks and won't be getting this one :/

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #643 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
Video was a fucking fantastic watch, the download is alright quality but no DVD!
NOBODY in this video disappoints with their section (and trick selection).
Standout parts for me were Greco, Ellington, Lizard and Slash.
If you've read this thread, you will already know the majority of the enders, but its not all about the enders in this vid! The whole thing just got me wanting to go skate (Which admittedly is really annoying as I've a rather sore neck at the moment). I may write a full length review at some time but for now all you need to know is this video is worth your fucking money!

I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

jrock92089

« Reply #644 on: April 23, 2013, 09:59:32 AM »
Someone put a copy on Piratebay, but didnt remove the DRM signature thingy first, so when you play it it asks for that guys iTunes password.

DRM sucks balls

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #645 on: April 23, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
sort of off topic but i found it rather interesting that moose was on longer than jon and neen and they get the pro nod. neen got on way after both of those dudes and got the nod rather quickly.  Hopefully moose gets a good shoe sponsor and gets the bump up.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #646 on: April 23, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
sort of off topic but i found it rather interesting that moose was on longer than jon and neen and they get the pro nod. neen got on way after both of those dudes and got the nod rather quickly.  Hopefully moose gets a good shoe sponsor and gets the bump up.

Neen got a board really quickly after joining up with those dudes, but he's also paid his dues in a way that doesn't happen so often anymore. He put in years on affiliate, and was off the majority of peoples' radars for most of his life. He did seem to pop out of nowhere and go pro immediately to most people (not saying YOU, just in general) but he put in the work for sure. It might have come down to either Moose or Dickson are going pro, and they had to make a decision that ultimately favored Dickson.

thecrookiemonster

• Rep: -2
« Reply #647 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »
I do think that the reason they favoured dickson to go pro over moose was becasue they wanted the new pro to have the last section and i think a moose last part wouldnt have worked even though i personally think he had a better part than dickson technically...

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #648 on: April 23, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
come on, neen was pro for affiliate already. the only reason he joined death wish as an am was for marketing, he wasn't that known and so they get to make a big deal of him going pro for death wish. moose is fine but cookie cutter, dicksons a true standout talent.

anyone who likes moose more is under 15
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3383
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
come on, neen was pro for affiliate already. the only reason he joined death wish as an am was for marketing, he wasn't that known and so they get to make a big deal of him going pro for death wish. moose is fine but cookie cutter, dicksons a true standout talent.

Not trying to argue, but I didn't think moose was cookie cutter at all. He is WAY more technical than anyone else on that team...Greco pushed some tech shit but it felt more like a "strap in and hang on 'cuz I'm going to pull this fucked up shit" kind-of thing. If anything, Neen is more cookie cutter aside from his stylish heelflip that everyone jizzes over (understandably). I'm 38 and thought that Moose's part was one of the standouts, and he's not my type so it's not some homosexual attraction thing. Granted, Dickson is THE standout in the video in regards to the "oh fucking shit" factor, but I'm kind-of puzzled as to why everybody hates Moose, although it really doesn't matter. Maybe it's his stupid name?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »

pro for affiliate since when?I know he rode for them for a bit but i never seen a pro board with his name on it and i had a few homies that rode for that brand. i used to see that dude all the time and he would be riding random boards all the when he moved to cali then went from flow to am to pro rather quickly under deathwish

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #651 on: April 23, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
^i coulda just made that up, but I thought i read it on here a few times.

and GAY, I don't hate him. he just doesn't do much that's exciting to me. aside from the last 5 or so tricks (which were awesome)  guys have done the same tricks  down similar sized gaps/rails/ledges with (imo) better style/faster. he just missing that hutzpah that other new am/rookie pros have. if he skated more interesting spots it'd go a ways too
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #652 on: April 23, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
 Already knew what it would be before I watched it and it was as expected. Slash ender was the sickest trick in the video for sure.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3383
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #653 on: April 23, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »

and GAY, I don't hate him. he just doesn't do much that's exciting to me. aside from the last 5 or so tricks (which were awesome)  guys have done the same tricks  down similar sized gaps/rails/ledges with (imo) better style/faster. he just missing that hutzpah that other new am/rookie pros have. if he skated more interesting spots it'd go a ways too

That makes sense...and actually I just rewatched the video and realized that his part is a bit of a dud. I must have just had my coffee when I watched his part yesterday because today it wasn't nearly as exciting. So now I hate him too! Kidding.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: April 23, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That makes sense...and actually I just rewatched the video and realized that his part is a bit of a dud. I must have just had my coffee when I watched his part yesterday because today it wasn't nearly as exciting. So now I hate him too! Kidding.

lol i was literally writing the same shit haha like i like him but he does not have that added juice to make him exciting hes just good no personality though.  He basically one of those super good mexican kids at your typical so cal skatepark.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #655 on: April 23, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
moose is a lot better than neen, how is this even debatable? Moose is like a gnarly mexican P-rod

p-rod isn't mexican

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 913
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #656 on: April 23, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
moose is a lot better than neen, how is this even debatable? Moose is like a gnarly mexican P-rod

p-rod isn't mexican

It's funny you should say that cuz his dad is in fact Mexican. I'm not sure about his mom, but he is indeed at least part Mexican.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Rodriguez

By the way you're a dipshit.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #657 on: April 23, 2013, 05:20:12 PM »
Expand Quote

p-rod isn't mexican
[close]

It's funny you should say that cuz his dad is in fact Mexican. I'm not sure about his mom, but he is indeed at least part Mexican.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Rodriguez

By the way you're a dipshit.
I was being sarcastic about P rod

but moose is absolutely better than neen.  neen just has arguably much better style.

just bought the vid, lizard's part was so sick.  kickflip back lip bigspin pop out on that planter was rad and almost slipped by

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Fake Tits

« Reply #658 on: April 23, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
moose over neen 100%

lucidreamer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #659 on: April 23, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
I watched slash's ender like 20 times
[close]

Didn't believe it when I first saw it. The man brought heat.

That halfcab backlip down clipper ain't too easy either