Author Topic: The Deathwish Video  (Read 143743 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: The Deathwish Video
« Reply #720 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
They've been holding that Ollie footage for a looong time. I remember the photo was in a KOTR issue from like 2006 maybe? Glad to hear its in the part. I need to see this video!

Yeah Greco had a lot of older footage, but it was all quality. He had some stuff where he was wearing shoes from the first couple of lines when Supra came out which was years and years ago. Definitely stuff worth hanging on to.

Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #721 on: April 25, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
Yea I think Greco's trick at carlsbad was one of the first ads, and those elephant print shoes he's wearing where from the first release, which would put it at the beginning of 2006??

Glad to finally see Ellington's backlip from that era too.
ieatemochilds

captainfalcon69

• Rep: 15
« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
yeah, ive been waiting to see that backlip forever too, my friend had the poster on his wall for the longest time lol

Laban Fetus

« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
I've watched the vid a few times now which is a rare thing for me these days. Has the pacing of Zero's classic videos in a way...

Greco just nailed everything he set out to do in some weird pastiche of various outfits and types of tricks. Mid-life crisis? Who knows.. but that was a casperslide on a handrail all right

Dickson's song fucking rules. Was stumped on what it could be even though I'm a 60's psych head. Props to skatevideosite

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
I've watched the vid a few times now which is a rare thing for me these days. Has the pacing of Zero's classic videos in a way...

Greco just nailed everything he set out to do in some weird pastiche of various outfits and types of tricks. Mid-life crisis? Who knows.. but that was a casperslide on a handrail all right

Dickson's song fucking rules. Was stumped on what it could be even though I'm a 60's psych head. Props to skatevideosite

Don't want to be that guy, but they did have the soundtrack list in the credits of the video. 

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don't want to be that guy, but they did have the soundtrack list in the credits of the video. 

Its kind of like kids making a topic on SLAP asking for lil shit instead of googling the answer themselves.

Anyways,

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #726 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »

Am i the only one who busted a nut whe moose did that tailslide fr270 down the loading dock huba!

and seriously greco backslide flipping a 14 stair or however big that was was toooooo much. that dude goes hard
try to remember, forget

Bliz

• Rep: -35
« Reply #727 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If it could of happened, a full Antwuan last part would of been pretty awesome
[close]

Oh if only :(

I was thoroughly impressed with Moose's part.� Flips into almost every handrail for a good portion of his part and everything was landed perfectly.� However, Neen, good lord.� That style is too damn entertaining to watch!� However, Moose is indeed killing it.� I would rather see him go pro before Daniel Espinoza.
[close]

I meant like if he would of got his stuff together and did a Guy kind of thing and had the dudes hyping him to film a comeback part ala' Fully Flared
[close]

man antwuan's one of top 5 favorite skaters but until i see dude at least try to remove some of his face tattoos & go sober a true comeback is highly-doubtful. i mean, actually putting out footage could be a start, but dude needs a serious lifestyle/mentality change or else he'll just fall back into the same ol shit.

If Antwuan made a comeback like Guy, the skate world would go nuts.  Watching his Baker has a deathwish part is emotional for me seeing this is the time when smoking/drinking was coming more into of his life.  I've had too many friends go into rehab for alcohol, drugs, etc.  Antwaun going sober would create one of the most draw-dropping skate part in history next to his previous ones.  Perhaps we wouldn't see some of the biggest tricks being done, but that style is missed in the streets and I hope he's able to come clean one day and come back to the surface.  Obviously in his situation, you can't just decide to one day come back to the streets and skate, it takes time and he's got some wounds to heal up, I just hope he's able to come back in time, the dude is still young and has a chance.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #728 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »
The above sig is beautiful. On a different note, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Moose's nollie flip fs nosegrind on the rail Cory Kennedy does his ender on in Pretty Sweet. Definitely a stand trick in his part.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

optimusXgrind

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • facebook avatar image
« Reply #729 on: April 26, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »
The above sig is beautiful. On a different note, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Moose's nollie flip fs nosegrind on the rail Cory Kennedy does his ender on in Pretty Sweet. Definitely a stand trick in his part.

because everyone here hates moose for some reason

johnny boy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #730 on: April 26, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »
I bought the itunes video, no extra features aside from the footy right after dicksons part.

is there anywhere i could see the dvd bonus features?

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #731 on: April 26, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was thinking if kids call that anything but a fs halfcab board slide I'm Audi.
[close]

you don't even need the "half cab" part. it's just a fakie front board. no other way you could pop into a front board fakie.
[close]

You're right. My bad.

Just watched the video again.  Some of the editing is so fast it takes a few times to catch everything.  I like this over the last Baker vid.
[close]

isnt it a half-cab front board... fakie front board is like a nollie front board but fakie...or am i wrong

what ever it is, its still gnarly to do down clipper
[close]

nah, that's a fakie back lip. lipslide = back truck goes over the obstacle, boardslide = front truck does. and everything fakie is backwards.

not that any of that matters, it's a sick trick regardless. i just like to nerd out over it like i nerd out over scientific taxonomy and silly nitpicky grammar and shit.
[close]
nope. it's a fakie front board. just like you said, for a boardslide the front truck goes over and, everything fakie is backwards. so it is his front truck going over. therefore the action of doing a nollie back lip in fakie stance is a fakie front board, a nollie back tail would be a fakie f/s nose... so on & so forth.

Correct, the trick in the vid is a fakie front board (also: if you read through this chain and saw "fakie front board vs fakie back lip" you would've been reading me arguing with myself, haha). I was talking about the trick described as "a nollie front board but fakie", that's a fakie back lip. Like how what looks like a "switch nollie front noseslide" is a fakie back tail, etc. Also: fakie fs noseslides blow my fucking mind, most blind trick ever.

and like I said, shit's sick regardless.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:49 AM »

I was really surprised by Moose's part, and I think the main reason for hate from Slap is the fact that he dresses like if he was 14 and it was 2002. I loved the song too.
I'm sure that he if dressed like let's say Brad Cromer or Chad Tim Tim, everyone on Slap would love him (and I would probably enjoy his footage more). The sad thing is skateboarders outfits definitely impacts the appreciation of most of the public on them, and I totaly admit that it is also true for myself: I'm sure people like Decenzo or Jordan Horfart would be much more popular if their outfit was a bit more on par with current trends and/or their style of skateboarding, if it even means anything.

For example see the evolution of dressing of Elijah, and its respective popularity among Slap fellows including me.

Those are my 2 cents
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:12:32 AM by Turtle Boy »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #733 on: April 26, 2013, 04:24:52 AM »
I said half cab front board first but the more I think about it, it's just a fakie front board.

so a half cab boardslide is a fakie back board? ???

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

GarbageMan

• Rep: -6
« Reply #734 on: April 26, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
I thought someone said Antwuan had a couple of tricks floating in the video somewhere? Is this true?

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #735 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
I thought someone said Antwuan had a couple of tricks floating in the video somewhere? Is this true?
yeah a switch heel and a nose slide big heel out in furbys part

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #736 on: April 26, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was thinking if kids call that anything but a fs halfcab board slide I'm Audi.
[close]

you don't even need the "half cab" part. it's just a fakie front board. no other way you could pop into a front board fakie.
[close]

You're right. My bad.

Just watched the video again.  Some of the editing is so fast it takes a few times to catch everything.  I like this over the last Baker vid.
[close]

isnt it a half-cab front board... fakie front board is like a nollie front board but fakie...or am i wrong

what ever it is, its still gnarly to do down clipper
[close]

nah, that's a fakie back lip. lipslide = back truck goes over the obstacle, boardslide = front truck does. and everything fakie is backwards.

not that any of that matters, it's a sick trick regardless. i just like to nerd out over it like i nerd out over scientific taxonomy and silly nitpicky grammar and shit.
[close]
nope. it's a fakie front board. just like you said, for a boardslide the front truck goes over and, everything fakie is backwards. so it is his front truck going over. therefore the action of doing a nollie back lip in fakie stance is a fakie front board, a nollie back tail would be a fakie f/s nose... so on & so forth.
[close]

Correct, the trick in the vid is a fakie front board (also: if you read through this chain and saw "fakie front board vs fakie back lip" you would've been reading me arguing with myself, haha). I was talking about the trick described as "a nollie front board but fakie", that's a fakie back lip. Like how what looks like a "switch nollie front noseslide" is a fakie back tail, etc. Also: fakie fs noseslides blow my fucking mind, most blind trick ever.

and like I said, shit's sick regardless.
whoops! i didn't really read the whole conversation. you are right my bad and, i agree. they're pretty frightening. i can do them on boxes but, seeing people do them down hubbas/rails blows my mind. if you get into one wrong or roll-up off balance it's also a little sketchy.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

dillanharp

« Reply #737 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
Finally saw this, first half was boring as fuck. Started to pick up with Moose. Last half was good. I have mixed emotions on Brian Hansen. From social media and shit from the internet, he seems like a prick. He can skate though. I also refuse to call him slash, there's only one, and it's not him. 

They should have called it Questionable Gear.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #738 on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
Even watching this home alone on a laptop would be mind blowing, but I'm so glad I got to see this shit at a shop premiere.  So much better.  Even though I was pretty wasted and barely remember the video.  I know I loved it. 

They played the TWS vid after and I remember thinking that I don't hate Jimmy Carlin anymore, the song probably.  But if he comes back with the comedy that might change.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #739 on: April 26, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
After watching this video a couple of times, its boring as shit. Two kids jump over the same rail for their enders, and one kid ends his part with a trick down a set of stairs smaller than he's done before. The entire video is just gap, rail, gap, rail, gap, rail. A couple decent tricks done down gaps and rails, but its all kinda just stuntman shit at boring LA spots. No real rolling on their skateboards aside from rolling up to or away from their single tricks
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

yukaton

• Rep: 7
« Reply #740 on: April 26, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »
wish this was in there

Will Easley

« Reply #741 on: April 26, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »
After watching this video a couple of times, its boring as shit. Two kids jump over the same rail for their enders, and one kid ends his part with a trick down a set of stairs smaller than he's done before. The entire video is just gap, rail, gap, rail, gap, rail. A couple decent tricks done down gaps and rails, but its all kinda just stuntman shit at boring LA spots. No real rolling on their skateboards aside from rolling up to or away from their single tricks

nigga its called the deathwish video not the "roll around on my skateboard as i do stylish pushes trying to look like im having fun" video. what were you expecting?

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #742 on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nigga its called the deathwish video not the "roll around on my skateboard as i do stylish pushes trying to look like im having fun" video. what were you expecting?

I was expecting to not like it and find it boring. And I did.

I've already deleted it.

I don't find stylish pushing particularly fun but it definitely looks more fun than throwing your board down, jumping down some stairs and then rolling into a fence while your "homies" start fighting to cuddle you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:01:28 PM by Ollie Ringwald »

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #743 on: April 26, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

YES!

Southerngold

• Rep: -7
« Reply #744 on: April 26, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
wish this was in there

where did this footy get to?

negroid

• Rep: -13
« Reply #745 on: April 26, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
truly cannot understand the hate for moose. definitely one of the best parts in the video with ellington. back 3 down the 16 is so fucking crazy and if it was someone else everyone would be shitting. and hes a super nice kid too. just does not compute

Fake Tits

« Reply #746 on: April 26, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Expand Quote
I said half cab front board first but the more I think about it, it's just a fakie front board.
[close]

so a half cab boardslide is a fakie back board? ???

I was taking a dump (nothing better than reading while taking a big healthy bog) at a friends house and he had the Thrasher with this trick.

Half cab front board.  According to The Mag.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #747 on: April 26, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
I totally agree with F/S half-cab front board but it's hard to deal with cause alot of fakie stuff assumes the entire trick is done backwards (fakie 5-0, tail, lipslide, nosegrind 50-50 etc.) not just the stance you pop from. Plus he's not approaching the obstacle frontside. Fakie back board?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #748 on: April 26, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

YES!

Neither of you know what real gnar is. I wasn't talking about "trying to look like I'm having fun" its about doing new tricks at different shit that actually is risky, instead of skating the same shit over and over that you know exactly how to bail from.
You want to know what real gnar is like?
Here is a start for you:
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,90/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,2081/

Skating the same kind of spot over and over isn't a "deathwish," its staying within your comfort zone.

I'll admit Lizard had some interesting sketchy shit going, and Baca has some sketchy as shit on the baker side of the baker/deathwish duo, but other than that, these dudes do the same shit over and over, adding one or two stairs in each part. That's not getting gnarly, that's just the most boring kind of "progression" there is.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #749 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly. It's like saying a back tail backside flip out vs back tail kickflip fakie.

Same trick, different name (both acceptable)

And if you're being super technical, a full cab can only be fakie and backside so an fs full cab/half cab doesn't exist.

So technically that trick can only be called a fakie front 180 front board (or switch back lip), or a fakie front board (or switch back lip).