Author Topic: The Deathwish Video  (Read 143734 times)

needlejuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -101
Re: The Deathwish Video
« Reply #750 on: April 27, 2013, 12:41:10 AM »
its so insane how shitty peoples opinions of other skaters are. like serioulsy i can find something i like in about 95 percent of pros if i keep watching them. there are few skaters who i go out of my way to say they arent producing quality shit.

all these dudes came thru in their own way, just like any other real skate video.

and i just watchd a  youtube vid asking pros who their fav part was and most of them said furby. which is interesting because thats what i thought when i first saw it, but come on here and its dudes complaining about everything and saying they only liked one part and not the others??? how u can be into skateboarding and not at least say this is quality shit even if not ur cup of tea is beyond me
try to remember, forget

Will Easley

« Reply #751 on: April 27, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After watching this video a couple of times, its boring as shit. Two kids jump over the same rail for their enders, and one kid ends his part with a trick down a set of stairs smaller than he's done before. The entire video is just gap, rail, gap, rail, gap, rail. A couple decent tricks done down gaps and rails, but its all kinda just stuntman shit at boring LA spots. No real rolling on their skateboards aside from rolling up to or away from their single tricks
[close]

nigga its called the deathwish video not the "roll around on my skateboard as i do stylish pushes trying to look like im having fun" video. what were you expecting?
[close]

YES!
[close]

Neither of you know what real gnar is. I wasn't talking about "trying to look like I'm having fun" its about doing new tricks at different shit that actually is risky, instead of skating the same shit over and over that you know exactly how to bail from.
You want to know what real gnar is like?
Here is a start for you:
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,90/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,2081/

Skating the same kind of spot over and over isn't a "deathwish," its staying within your comfort zone.

I'll admit Lizard had some interesting sketchy shit going, and Baca has some sketchy as shit on the baker side of the baker/deathwish duo, but other than that, these dudes do the same shit over and over, adding one or two stairs in each part. That's not getting gnarly, that's just the most boring kind of "progression" there is.

yeah yeah yeah oh preach on mighty gipper, your insight has left me oh so inspired & revitalized. despite the fact that skating gaps is the main thing i do on a skateboard, i would have never known what real gnar was like if it wasnt for your ultimate wisdom. These guys barely skated anything risky, and nobody did anything they havent done before. the deathwish video is whack.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #752 on: April 27, 2013, 02:43:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I said half cab front board first but the more I think about it, it's just a fakie front board.
[close]

so a half cab boardslide is a fakie back board? ???
[close]

I was taking a dump (nothing better than reading while taking a big healthy bog) at a friends house and he had the Thrasher with this trick.

Half cab front board.  According to The Mag.

maybe cuz that's what it actually is (personally i would have gone with "frontside half cab boardslide" but whatevs)? i'm not really a trick naming nazi but it's amusing that people these days try to come up with all these confusing names for tricks when we already have an established skate-vocabulary that can adequately describe 95% of the (standard) tricks we do...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

6feetdeep

• Rep: -1
« Reply #753 on: April 27, 2013, 05:15:04 AM »
its so insane how shitty peoples opinions of other skaters are. like serioulsy i can find something i like in about 95 percent of pros if i keep watching them. there are few skaters who i go out of my way to say they arent producing quality shit.

all these dudes came thru in their own way, just like any other real skate video.

and i just watchd a  youtube vid asking pros who their fav part was and most of them said furby. which is interesting because thats what i thought when i first saw it, but come on here and its dudes complaining about everything and saying they only liked one part and not the others??? how u can be into skateboarding and not at least say this is quality shit even if not ur cup of tea is beyond me
yeah, seriously thats what i thought. i don't get how you can hate on a video like this... yes, they have their "deathwish image" or whatever you want to call it and yes its rails and gaps, but they put in a shitload of work and thats just what everyone should respect. none of these dipshits complaining has ever filmed 5 years for video and was probably hurt 2 years alltogether while filming for it.

dankradschwag

« Reply #754 on: April 27, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
i wished we lived in a world where poisonous products could get a 26 page thread about it.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2013, 09:27:53 AM »
i wished we lived in a world where poisonous products could get a 26 page thread about it.

Very dope video but the two cannot be compared!

lordbeezle

• Rep: -7
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
I hope Lizard is saving all of that change he picked up during his video part.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
After watching this video a couple of times, its boring as shit. Two kids jump over the same rail for their enders, and one kid ends his part with a trick down a set of stairs smaller than he's done before. The entire video is just gap, rail, gap, rail, gap, rail. A couple decent tricks done down gaps and rails, but its all kinda just stuntman shit at boring LA spots. No real rolling on their skateboards aside from rolling up to or away from their single tricks
[close]

nigga its called the deathwish video not the "roll around on my skateboard as i do stylish pushes trying to look like im having fun" video. what were you expecting?
[close]

YES!
[close]

Neither of you know what real gnar is. I wasn't talking about "trying to look like I'm having fun" its about doing new tricks at different shit that actually is risky, instead of skating the same shit over and over that you know exactly how to bail from.
Here is a start for you:
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,90/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,2081/

Skating the same kind of spot over and over isn't a "deathwish," its staying within your comfort zone.

I'll admit Lizard had some interesting sketchy shit going, and Baca has some sketchy as shit on the baker side of the baker/deathwish duo, but other than that, these dudes do the same shit over and over, adding one or two stairs in each part. That's not getting gnarly, that's just the most boring kind of "progression" there is.
[close]

yeah yeah yeah oh preach on mighty gipper, your insight has left me oh so inspired & revitalized. despite the fact that skating gaps is the main thing i do on a skateboard, i would have never known what real gnar was like if it wasnt for your ultimate wisdom. These guys barely skated anything risky, and nobody did anything they havent done before. the deathwish video is whack.

You are free to feel what you feel about the video, I just put my opinion out there, and you came up with multiple arrogant responses (something hillarious coming from a very stupid child). I said it was boring, and you derided my opinon, so I explained what I meant. If you found it interesting, that's fine. I didn't, and its not because I don't like gnarly skating, its because like any approach to skating, I want to see people being creative, and if they are claiming "gnar" I want to see them trying sketchy shit, not just big shit.

And whoever was talking about trick names and what constitutes a "full cab," there is no such thing as a "full cab" its a cab or a caballarial. Is there such thing as a "full kickflip" or a "full 360 flip?"
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -147
« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

YES!
[close]

Here is a start for you:

Technically most skaters "stay within their comfort zone". Thats what skating what you like is.

They like skating rails and gaps and they did their best to make that type of skating look cool and get technical occasionally.  It was pretty effective. If you dont like rail and gap skating thats cool, but that doesnt make this a bad video.

Youre argument about hijinx doesnt make any sense because the video doesnt try putting hijinx front and center so im not sure why you posted the house video. They clearly werent trying to make this look like a baker deathwish tour video?

Youre not making a compelling argument against the video, youre just explaining why you hate baker.

dillanharp

« Reply #759 on: April 27, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
Let's be honest, Furby's part was boring as fuck, and it was 98% gaps. I only remember one ledge trick.

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
People still say "gnar"?

While I don't think the video was boring, it wasn't the type of video I would watch over and over again. I expected alot more from everything I heard, and read on here. Still a decent video though.

Hate_Then_Skate

• Rep: -9
  • Steven Seagal with a Desert Eagle
« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2013, 12:02:21 PM »
Watched it once.  Furby had the best part.  Far too many hands touching the ground throughout the video. 
This isn't the 90's anymore. ESPN, Nike and Mountain Dew are Big Brother, Es and beer. Time to slip into some comfy New Balances and head towards old age.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

YES!
[close]

Here is a start for you:

[close]

Technically most skaters "stay within their comfort zone". Thats what skating what you like is.

They like skating rails and gaps and they did their best to make that type of skating look cool and get technical occasionally.  It was pretty effective. If you dont like rail and gap skating thats cool, but that doesnt make this a bad video.

Youre argument about hijinx doesnt make any sense because the video doesnt try putting hijinx front and center so im not sure why you posted the house video. They clearly werent trying to make this look like a baker deathwish tour video?

Youre not making a compelling argument against the video, youre just explaining why you hate baker.
You guys are strawmanning the fuck out of what I say in an attempt to give yourself a valid response so you can continue to cocksuck the baker boiz. "Oh no! he doesn't like the video of the team I advertize for in my sig! GET HIM!!!!!"
Now let's get to the clarification.
When did I say "hijinx?" I posted the video because 90% of it is dudes skating shit that they clearly aren't sure if they can make, has a major likelyhood of bodily harm, and often times results in horrific slams. That ain't hijinx, that's what gnar skating is. When I think of gnarliness I think of Sean Young bombing hills in the rain, I think of Ryan Reyes doing wallies on handrails, I think of Gonz and Cardiel going for it with the street airs into the sunset carwash before anybody had skated it (Greco was the FOURTH person to jump into that bank, that ain't hesh, that's hollywood), I think of dudes like David Gravette jumping onto rails with endless kinks and bends in them that nobody else would even consider rolling up to, I think of Ben Raybourn doing transfers at burnside that include him falling for about 12 feet and then doing it again because he wanted to do a more proper grab. The deathwish video didn't have any of that sort of thing.

I think I've made my standards clear, and it doesn't fit mine. If others have the same standards as me, they will probably appreciate what I wrote, and will spend their money on a pizza instead of a video.
I never misrepresented what is in the video, I just pointed out that I find what is in there boring after the first view, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks like that when it comes to skate videos. If you think that sort of skating is fun to watch, that's fine.
You aren't going to convince me that I find the video entertaining. All you are doing is dickriding the baker boys by trying to put down anybody who has a different opinion.
Again, I'm not going to change my mind. I find it boring. Deal with it pussy.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
so u really didn't like Jon dicksons part? I don't believe that
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

micky682

« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »
so u really didn't like Jon dicksons part? I don't believe that
Wish there was a hardflip in his part, he has a really good one. Close to Herman's in my book.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

YES!
[close]

Here is a start for you:

[close]

[close]
You guys are strawmanning the fuck out of what I say in an attempt to give yourself a valid response so you can continue to cocksuck the baker boiz. "Oh no! he doesn't like the video of the team I advertize for in my sig! GET HIM!!!!!"
Now let's get to the clarification.
When did I say "hijinx?" I posted the video because 90% of it is dudes skating shit that they clearly aren't sure if they can make, has a major likelyhood of bodily harm, and often times results in horrific slams. That ain't hijinx, that's what gnar skating is. When I think of gnarliness I think of Sean Young bombing hills in the rain, I think of Ryan Reyes doing wallies on handrails, I think of Gonz and Cardiel going for it with the street airs into the sunset carwash before anybody had skated it (Greco was the FOURTH person to jump into that bank, that ain't hesh, that's hollywood), I think of dudes like David Gravette jumping onto rails with endless kinks and bends in them that nobody else would even consider rolling up to, I think of Ben Raybourn doing transfers at burnside that include him falling for about 12 feet and then doing it again because he wanted to do a more proper grab. The deathwish video didn't have any of that sort of thing.

I think I've made my standards clear, and it doesn't fit mine. If others have the same standards as me, they will probably appreciate what I wrote, and will spend their money on a pizza instead of a video.
I never misrepresented what is in the video, I just pointed out that I find what is in there boring after the first view, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks like that when it comes to skate videos. If you think that sort of skating is fun to watch, that's fine.
You aren't going to convince me that I find the video entertaining. All you are doing is dickriding the baker boys by trying to put down anybody who has a different opinion.
Again, I'm not going to change my mind. I find it boring. Deal with it pussy.
I totally agree with this.  I watched the Deathwish video once, probably won't watch it again.  I also think some of the editing complaints people had with Alvarez's part in Pretty Sweet are even worse in the Deathwish video-its cut so quickly in some parts I can't even watch it-as soon as the wheels hit the ground it cuts to the next "hammer."  And I can't stop watching The House Vid, that's the real deal.  Dickson was rad, but it wasn't anything extraordinary, Clint Walkers recent video already made me forget about it.

dick wolf

• Rep: -7
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Lizard King, hands down, made the biggest front noseslide I have EVER seen.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1667
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
The deathwish video was good. 

It is easy to get expectations too high with skatevideos.  I remember being bummed on Really sorry and extremely sorry. 

Skatevideos are not a religious experience.  Its just skateboarding.  enjoy it for what it is.

Good job deathwish.  Everyone had nice parts.  I hope moose is/will go pro soon.  I had no idea how on point that dude is. 

It would have been icing on the cake to have antuan in it but when watching the video I didn't even notice he wasn't in it.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Lizard King, hands down, made the biggest front noseslide I have EVER seen.

Ok.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »
The deathwish video was good. 

It is easy to get expectations too high with skatevideos.  I remember being bummed on Really sorry and extremely sorry. 

Skatevideos are not a religious experience.  Its just skateboarding.  enjoy it for what it is.

Good job deathwish.  Everyone had nice parts.  I hope moose is/will go pro soon.  I had no idea how on point that dude is. 

It would have been icing on the cake to have antuan in it but when watching the video I didn't even notice he wasn't in it.

Everyone on Deathwish is extremely talented, obviously.  And its easy to appreciate the work they put in for it.  But it doesn't mean you have to like it.  Does anyone really have a standout part that is going to be that memorable a few years from now though?  Nope.  Maybe Greco, since no one saw the whole dark slide thing coming, but its edited poorly, and on top of that who on Deathwish has a really unique/standout approach to skating?  Lizard maybe, and whether its in a good way is a matter of debate.  Again, everyone is good, but no one is memorable.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #770 on: April 27, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Lizard's part. Slash skating to Pagan Altar was a pleasant surprise, and those darkslides were fucking hilarious. In the end, it was worth it just to see Herman's nosegrind stalefish.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #771 on: April 27, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »

Everyone on Deathwish is extremely talented, obviously.?  And its easy to appreciate the work they put in for it.?  But it doesn't mean you have to like it.?  Does anyone really have a standout part that is going to be that memorable a few years from now though??  Nope.?  Maybe Greco, since no one saw the whole dark slide thing coming, but its edited poorly, and on top of that who on Deathwish has a really unique/standout approach to skating??  Lizard maybe, and whether its in a good way is a matter of debate.?  Again, everyone is good, but no one is memorable.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #772 on: April 28, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »
Well for Furby's part it seems that somebody might have taken cue to not include any Tre Flips. I found his part much more entertaining.

Anyways,

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #773 on: April 28, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
And whoever was talking about trick names and what constitutes a "full cab," there is no such thing as a "full cab" its a cab or a caballarial. Is there such thing as a "full kickflip" or a "full 360 flip?"

At first I thought it was just the kids ('fakie full cab' fucking idiots), but I've been seeing "full cab" in the mags so now there is no stopping it.
example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #774 on: April 28, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At first I thought it was just the kids ('fakie full cab' fucking idiots), but I've been seeing "full cab" in the mags so now there is no stopping it.

once the darkslide trend catches on, kids will start saying "full kickflip" to differentiate from the half kf/hf to get into those tricks. then a mean rocket ollie trend will start, and kids will start saying "full ollie" for a well-popped ollie. then a trend of skating broken-in-half boards will start, and kids will start saying "full board" for a normal skateboard.

we've started down a slippery slope, i tell ya.

evan_7

• Rep: 9
« Reply #775 on: April 28, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »
Finally watched it last night, and it just reaffirms what I've always liked about Deathwish.  Those dudes are out there just having fun which makes their videos even more enjoyable.  Also, I was unprepared for how great the Greco part would be. I know that some of the footage is older, but still, credit, where credit is due.  A hammer for the ages. 

dillanharp

« Reply #776 on: April 28, 2013, 02:14:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

once the darkslide trend catches on, kids will start saying "full kickflip" to differentiate from the half kf/hf to get into those tricks. then a mean rocket ollie trend will start, and kids will start saying "full ollie" for a well-popped ollie. then a trend of skating broken-in-half boards will start, and kids will start saying "full board" for a normal skateboard.

we've started down a slippery slope, i tell ya.

Don't worry, it didn't catch on with Rodney, it's sure as fuck not catching on because of Greco.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #777 on: April 28, 2013, 07:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

YES!
[close]

Here is a start for you:

[close]

[close]
You are free to feel what you feel about the video, I just put my opinion out there, and you came up with multiple arrogant responses (something hillarious coming from a very stupid child). I said it was boring, and you derided my opinon, so I explained what I meant. If you found it interesting, that's fine. I didn't, and its not because I don't like gnarly skating, its because like any approach to skating, I want to see people being creative, and if they are claiming "gnar" I want to see them trying sketchy shit, not just big shit.

well... there is such thing as a half-cab.... so therefore turning all the way is rightfully called a 'full-cab'. there's also of course the 'full cab' shoe from cabbalero. cab, full cab, caballarial.... same shit. there is no 'half kickflip' or 'half 360 flip' so that isn't really a valid point.

& your whole argument about how they all skate the same stuff & no one pushes themselves is a little off too. there are a lot of new spots in this video that will very likely never get touched again. the rail slash krooked? the bank greco ollied into? how many tricks did greco have in that part that he has never done before? how many types of skating did he have in there that he has never touched? how many spots did he skate that no one has skated? i've never seen slash do a lot of those ledge tricks. these dudes pushed themselves. you should've known what you were about to watch, you know who these guys are. and i don't see how people skating a bunch of ramps they skate all the time is 'risky'........

reynolds is always learning something new but he skates 'the same old shit' mostly... is he boring to watch? c'mon

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

• Rep: 12
« Reply #778 on: April 28, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »
isn't this the things that made you laugh today thread??

• Rep: 12
« Reply #779 on: April 28, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »