Author Topic: Skateboarding illegal in my city  (Read 1076 times)

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
    • proskates.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Skateboarding illegal in my city
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
Hey dudes, I know slap message board isn't my personal army but I'm trying to get as many people as possible to blow up our city's police twitter account asking them why skateboarding isn't a viable mode of transportating. They've basically killed street skating in Halifax with a helmet law ($138 fine), a fine for skating on the street ($138) and a fine for skating on the sidewalk ($138). There's been a pretty decent scene with one of the oldest shops in Canada despite it's small size since the early 80's but they've finally managed to just about kill street skating. A cop told us today that it is illegal to skate on the street or sidewalk because it is not an effective mode of transportation.

Their account is @HfxRegPolice , if you want to kick them some knowledge or if you have any advice on dealing with this kind of legal problem that'd be amazing. If not, thanks for reading!

solo

• Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
Re: Skateboarding illegal in my city
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
twitter could be viable medium to solve this..

if you wanna fasho show them though, you need lawyers that are worth more than theirs.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:40:52 PM by solo »

GZA liquidswords

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
just fight the cops and shave your head when you get home, different clothes and shit

CaptainMorganFreeman

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
twitter could be viable medium to solve this..

if you wanna fasho show them though, you need lawyers that are worth more than theirs.

This actually has been making the news.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/01/31/ns-helmet-auto-insurance.html?cmp=rss

My homie there got fucked over big time by this bullshit.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
Post this if you want to go the diplomatic route..

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
Hey dudes, I know slap message board isn't my personal army but I'm trying to get as many people as possible to blow up our city's police twitter account asking them why skateboarding isn't a viable mode of transportating. They've basically killed street skating in Halifax with a helmet law ($138 fine), a fine for skating on the street ($138) and a fine for skating on the sidewalk ($138). There's been a pretty decent scene with one of the oldest shops in Canada despite it's small size since the early 80's but they've finally managed to just about kill street skating. A cop told us today that it is illegal to skate on the street or sidewalk because it is not an effective mode of transportation.

Their account is @HfxRegPolice , if you want to kick them some knowledge or if you have any advice on dealing with this kind of legal problem that'd be amazing. If not, thanks for reading!

yep, i got stopped/harassed for a ridiculous amount of time last fall, 2 days after moving here. team of fat fucks implying i was lying about my identity because I didn't have my driver's license in my pocket. no mention of the fines for skating on the street or sidewalk though, just the helmet bullshit. HRP is the problem.. i've skated in other towns and the RCMP have been nothing but nice. i'll send em my regards

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
Post this if you want to go the diplomatic route..

DUDE YOU RE AWESOME

Wh0l3

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:01:19 AM »
i twattered at them. good luck. i wouldn't be surprised if they saw an increase in crime/graffiti from this. there's a reason skateboarding is  so popular...

CaptainMorganFreeman

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »
Fuck I blew it on posting this for a while, but I started a petition on Saturday night and currently have 837 signatures. I want to break 1000 before I contact our premier's office and ask for their position.

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/darrel-dexter-premier-of-nova-scotia-repeal-or-amend-policy-regarding-use-of-helmets-skateboarding

Anyone who wants to sign this and share it you'd be doin our skate scene a solid!