Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 701531 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2250 on: November 17, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
I've been skating classics 99 for like one year, pretty happy with it but is time for a little change so I got some radial slims 101, super curious about it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2251 on: November 17, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
Should I try riding 101 radial slims for the 6-months-of-winter indoor park madness I'm about to embark on?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #2252 on: November 17, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »
101 radial slims are sliiiiiickkk.... I credit them with learning backside power slides. But I tend to go 99s or even classic formula for winter. But I'm old and nervous so don't listen to me.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2253 on: November 17, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »
Radial slims are my favorite wheel, basically waiting for the tablets I have now to be done to get another set, although I’m thinking about giving a set of f4 classics again

How do you like the Tablets?  Other than being smoother on crusty ground is there anything else that you really like about them when compared to Radial Slims?  I'm sure they lock into 50/50s and nose/tail grinds really well but I'm guessing the rounded edge of the Radial Slims makes them better for Crooks, Feebles/Smiths, all slappies, wallrides, and powerslides/reverts.  Anything I'm missing?  I might buy a set of them (for the larger of my two street setups) if I can't find Conical Fulls in the size or duro I need.  Seems like they are overstocked on Tablets but understocked on Conical Fulls.

Should I try riding 101 radial slims for the 6-months-of-winter indoor park madness I'm about to embark on?

Absolutely not, go with 99s.  No reason to go harder for an indoor park and honestly I think the 99s would be better at most outdoor spots as well.  I’m riding 52mm 99a Radial Slims and they’re awesome everywhere but Skatelite transition. I can’t imagine 101as.  99as are manageable but they are still too slick on Skatelite in my opinion.

They are, however, awesome everywhere other than the tranny sections.  I’m loving them on Skatelite/wood boxes and ledges.  There’s no reason to go 101a as these 99as slide just fine.  Even backside boardslides and front lips on boxes glide with no resistance for me.

101 radial slims are sliiiiiickkk.... I credit them with learning backside power slides. But I tend to go 99s or even classic formula for winter. But I'm old and nervous so don't listen to me.

Nah, you’re right dude.  I even find the 99a F4s too slick for me on Skatelite transition.  If I could only have one wheel I’d stick with them but I’m going to try to find another wheel for Skatelite bowls and minis.  The 99as also work really well at my local outdoor concrete park on hot summer days.  I mainly skate ledges, manny pads and banks/hips & I usually ride Thunders which have short base plates.  I’ve never had an issue with them not being slick enough to power through a slides or reverts.  Honestly they seems to slide better than my 103a STFs.  They’re very predictable and consistent with how they slide as well.

I’ll probably try some in 101s this summer but I really doubt that I’ll prefer them over the 99s.

——————

If anyone is wondering what the dimensions of the Radial Slims look like here ya go.  I’ve only hand two actual full sessions on them so they’re not worn down at all.

52mm Radial Slims, Thunder Hollow Light II 147s (8.0” Axles), 8.0” x 32.375” Quasi deck, & Pennies for scale.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 11:06:32 PM by Woos »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1924
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2254 on: November 17, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Radial slims are my favorite wheel, basically waiting for the tablets I have now to be done to get another set, although I’m thinking about giving a set of f4 classics again
[close]

How do you like the Tablets?  Other than being smoother on crusty ground is there anything else that you really like about them when compared to Radial Slims?  I'm sure they lock into 50/50s and nose/tail grinds really well but I'm guessing the rounded edge of the Radial Slims makes them better for Crooks, Feebles/Smiths, all slappies, wallrides, and powerslides/reverts.  Anything I'm missing?  I might buy a set of them (for the larger of my two street setups) if I can't find Conical Fulls in the size or duro I need.  Seems like they are overstocked on Tablets but understocked on Conical Fulls.

Expand Quote
[close]

Absolutely not, go with 99s.  No reason to go harder for an indoor park and honestly I think the 99s would be better at most outdoor spots as well.  I’m riding 52mm 99a Radial Slims and they’re awesome everywhere but Skatelite transition. I can’t imagine 101as.  99as are manageable but they are still too slick on Skatelite in my opinion.

They are, however, awesome everywhere other than the tranny sections.  I’m loving them on Skatelite/wood boxes and ledges.  There’s no reason to go 101a as these 99as slide just fine.  Even backside boardslides and front lips on boxes glide with no resistance for me.

Expand Quote
[close]

Nah, you’re right dude.  I even find the 99a F4s too slick for me on Skatelite transition.  If I could only have one wheel I’d stick with them but I’m going to try to find another wheel for Skatelite bowls and minis.  The 99as also work really well at my local outdoor concrete park on hot summer days.  I mainly skate ledges, manny pads and banks/hips & I usually ride Thunders which have short base plates.  I’ve never had an issue with them not being slick enough to power through a slides or reverts.  Honestly they seems to slide better than my 103a STFs.  They’re very predictable and consistent with how they slide as well.

I’ll probably try some in 101s this summer but I really doubt that I’ll prefer them over the 99s.

——————

If anyone is wondering what the dimensions of the Radial Slims look like here ya go.  I’ve only hand two actual full sessions on them so they’re not worn down at all.

52mm Radial Slims, Thunder Hollow Light II 147s (8.0” Axles), 8.0” x 32.375” Quasi deck, & Pennies for scale.

Whats the WB on the board? That tail is looking fat and poppy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2255 on: November 18, 2019, 04:49:29 AM »
Those AA conicals fulls be looking nice as fuck.

Already copped a set to wait for spring. 8)

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2256 on: November 18, 2019, 05:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Those AA conicals fulls be looking nice as fuck.
[close]

Already copped a set to wait for spring. 8)
might have to do the same, Christmas is coming. so maybe they'll have a sale.

Woos

« Reply #2257 on: November 18, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
WB is 14.25 on that Quasi.  Honestly I find Quasi’s 8.0s to have the best shape. I wish they had wider boards in the same dimensions... it’s super frustrating.  I’d kill for an 8.25-8.5 with the same shape.  All their larger sizes with a 14.25 WB have shorter tails and overall lengths.

This board is the exact same shape.  I got lucky with a mellow concave but a decent height to the tail and nose.  Honestly for an 8” deck it is hard to beat for my preferences.  It feels much more comfortable and roomy than most boards this size.  My size 12 foot doesn’t feel too large like they do with a lot of boards this size.  I think I’m going to order another Quasi 8.0 but step up to 148 Team Hollow Thunders so it sits higher and my Radial Slims are flush. I’d probably step up to 53mms as well.

https://www.tactics.com/quasi-skateboards/dayton-face-i-80-skateboard-deck
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:59:36 PM by Woos »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2258 on: November 18, 2019, 05:13:45 PM »
WB is 14.25 on that Quasi.  Honestly I find Quasi’s 8.0s to have the best shape. I wish they had wider boards in the same dimensions... it’s super frustrating.  I’d kill for an 8.25-8.5 with the same shape.  All their larger sizes with a 14.25 WB have shorter tails and overall lengths.

This board is the exact same shape.  I got lucky with a mellow concave but a decent height to the tail and nose.  Honestly for an 8” deck it is hard to beat for my preferences.  It feels much more comfortable and roomy than most boards this size.  My size 12 foot doesn’t feel too large like they do with a lot of boards this size.  I think I’m going to order another Quasi 8.0 but step up to 148 Team Hollow Thunders so it sits higher and my Radial Slims are flush. I’d probably step up to 53mms as well.

8.0 x 14.25 sounds like a good ratio, I rode a Habitat 8.18 x 32 x 14.25 with a mellow concave. The width felt great but too long to flip comfortably. Setup a 7.75 board last week and there is no way I can ride that size anymore; way to squirrely coupled with the 14" WB felt too short.

the 32.375 length does look a little heft though.

Looks like I'm getting myself some Quasi boards for xmas!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woos

« Reply #2259 on: November 18, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

8.0 x 14.25 sounds like a good ratio, I rode a Habitat 8.18 x 32 x 14.25 with a mellow concave. The width felt great but too long to flip comfortably. Setup a 7.75 board last week and there is no way I can ride that size anymore; way to squirrely coupled with the 14" WB felt too short.

I think you’ll like it.  The wide kicks helps with the length a ton. I couldn’t imagine narrow ass Baker Boy kicks on a board this long but with this shape I find it perfect.  I’m 5’11/6’ish tall so I’m not super tall or short and I find it very comfortable.  Habitat has a 8.125 NASA board in a similar shape that I might try.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2260 on: November 18, 2019, 06:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think you’ll like it.  The wide kicks helps with the length a ton. I couldn’t imagine narrow ass Baker Boy kicks on a board this long but with this shape I find it perfect.  I’m 5’11/6’ish tall so I’m not super tall or short and I find it very comfortable.  Habitat has a 8.125 NASA board in a similar shape that I might try.

I'm 5 foot 6 inches so thanks for making me feel tiny, you dick. (JK of course)

I'll get one of the Quasi boards over xmas, been looking for a board with a larger nose and tail.

The older Dwindle boards from the 2000s and Mini Logos used to have tiny tails; rode extremely well for a short period until you got razor tail then they were impossible to skate afterwards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woos

« Reply #2261 on: November 18, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'll get one of the Quasi boards over xmas, been looking for a board with a larger nose and tail.

The older Dwindle boards from the 2000s and Mini Logos used to have tiny tails; rode extremely well for a short period until you got razor tail then they were impossible to skate afterwards.

Bro those Dwindles did razor tail like crazy... 9-10 year old me can relate.  Look at my fucking nose in this picture... I saw it semi-recently and it reminded me of how shitty that wood was.  I was just WAY too big of a Chris Cole/Chief fan at the time to switch woodshops though.  When I switched to being a Dr. Z fanboy and started riding Zoo York (Chapman) boards a couple of years later it was a night and day difference.  Those things kept their pop and lasted forever.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:57:39 PM by Woos »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2262 on: November 18, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bro those Dwindles did razor tail like crazy... 9-10 year old me can relate.  Look at my fucking nose in this picture... I saw it semi-recently and it reminded me of how shitty that wood was.  I was just WAY too big of a Chris Cole/Chief fan at the time to switch woodshops though.  When I switched to being a Dr. Z fanboy and started riding Zoo York (Chapman) boards a couple of years later it was a night and day difference.  Those things kept their pop and lasted forever.

I used to be a sucker for Darkstar boards, at 7.75 the tails were incredibly short but very snappy while they lasted. Never realized the difference in woodshops until I rode my first Zero board, back when they were still pressed in Mexico.

Zered Basset was and is still a fucking G, City of Killer and Vicious Cycle is filled with so many Dr. Z banger; he always made his switch tricks look especially stylish.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2263 on: November 18, 2019, 11:54:09 PM »
Found all of these in my box of skate stuff in my storage. Forgot I had these radial slims. I remember getting the F4 classics not too ago and then I just threw them in the box.

Never rode the slims yet so I’m gonna set those up.

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2264 on: November 19, 2019, 12:22:54 AM »
Found all of these in my box of skate stuff in my storage. Forgot I had these radial slims. I remember getting the F4 classics not too ago and then I just threw them in the box.

Radial Slims with the red and gold color scheme are sexy as hell
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2265 on: November 19, 2019, 03:40:25 AM »
Always struggle finding the mm size sticker on those spitfire packages they usually just fall off

spanyard

« Reply #2266 on: November 19, 2019, 05:38:55 AM »

I'd trade you a brand new in package set of radial slims 101s 53 mm if you want a slightly harder duro...

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2267 on: November 19, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd trade you a brand new in package set of radial slims 101s 53 mm if you want a slightly harder duro...

Thanks. But I like the 99 duro. I also only ride 50 or 51 mm. The slimmer the profile the better for me. I still ride low trucks so 50/51 are perfect for me.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2268 on: November 19, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I used to be a sucker for Darkstar boards, at 7.75 the tails were incredibly short but very snappy while they lasted. Never realized the difference in woodshops until I rode my first Zero board, back when they were still pressed in Mexico.

Zered Basset was and is still a fucking G, City of Killer and Vicious Cycle is filled with so many Dr. Z banger; he always made his switch tricks look especially stylish.
Sorry to roast your setup but those wheels what the fuck?! Gross black wheels
Dueces Bitch's

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #2269 on: November 19, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »
Oh another thing someone pointed out on here was the fact that the bearings sit so much more into the classics vs the radial slims.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2270 on: November 19, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

We all went through this phase in our lives
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woos

« Reply #2271 on: November 19, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They were a Christmas present and I was 9 years old lol.  I think my parents got me them since they matched the deck I asked for.  They’re the only colored wheels I’ve ever had and they flat spotted quick.

colinquinn

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2272 on: November 20, 2019, 12:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

They were a Christmas present and I was 9 years old lol.  I think my parents got me them since they matched the deck I asked for.  They’re the only colored wheels I’ve ever had and they flat spotted quick.

That's no excuse!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3xmytaOyQw

spanyard

« Reply #2273 on: November 20, 2019, 07:07:08 AM »
Hey y'all-

I'm trying to I.D. the durometer for these set of  wheels I bought used on a complete, but all the logos are essentially worn off.  I know for sure they're classic 52mm Huf x Haroshi x Spitfire wheels.  I found the image attached but noticed no durometer is stated on these wheels.  THey're probably 7-14 years old is my guess?  Anybody have an idea?

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/productimages/colors/3_55521.jpg

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #2274 on: November 20, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »
99d probably.

Woos

« Reply #2275 on: November 20, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »
Hey y'all-

I'm trying to I.D. the durometer for these set of  wheels I bought used on a complete, but all the logos are essentially worn off.  I know for sure they're classic 52mm Huf x Haroshi x Spitfire wheels.  I found the image attached but noticed no durometer is stated on these wheels.  THey're probably 7-14 years old is my guess?  Anybody have an idea?

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/productimages/colors/3_55521.jpg

Definitely 99s.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2276 on: November 20, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »
100% 99d
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woos

« Reply #2277 on: November 20, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
The formula used on Classics and Bigheads makes them feel stickier/softer than most 99s though.  Especially when compared to Easy Streets and F4s.  Durometer doesn’t really mean much unless you’re comparing wheels from the same line.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2278 on: November 21, 2019, 04:07:05 AM »
God I hate F4 101... What I've done... :'(
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2279 on: November 21, 2019, 04:11:06 AM »
God I hate F4 101... What I've done... :'(

why?