Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689338 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4080 on: April 18, 2022, 04:24:21 AM »
What do you guys like shape wise for transition? Not talking vert, but like mini, bowl, diy stuff. i’ve literally skated only formula 4 classic 55s for the last 3 years. i’m pretty set on the size, but interested in the benefit of a different wheel shape.

Definitely a lot of info out there and good answers so far on that.

Personally I think you have the best of both worlds with 55mm classics.

They are just wide enough to be in the "wider wheel" variety which you usually only get with bigger wheels and when they wear down to about 52mm they are still wide, ever so slightly rounded but have a significant contact patch.

When the Conical Full and similar wheels get down to that size, they get quite sharp on the edges and need to be rounded off or are more prone to chipping or not holding their shape (or holding you on coping).

That is why I like the 56mm and 58mm classics, but I get quite a few sets that are already worn down from others when they want to upgrade to new wheels, so I am set for pretty much the perfect size and shape that I want, without having to do all the wearing down from new.

Edit:

What size do you skate them til though?   Are you a skate them until you have had enough kind of guy, or until the wheels feel too small, down a couple of mm, etc?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

typeischeap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #4081 on: April 18, 2022, 05:35:03 AM »
I know not everyone likes black wheels but apparently I have a thing for them...working on my miniramp pivot game recently so conical/full works for me.

I buy too much skateboard shit. Sorry.

Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #4082 on: April 18, 2022, 08:23:45 AM »
What do you guys like shape wise for transition? Not talking vert, but like mini, bowl, diy stuff. i’ve literally skated only formula 4 classic 55s for the last 3 years. i’m pretty set on the size, but interested in the benefit of a different wheel shape.

I like the OG classics. The shape is good for locking in to grinds. They’ve got a good sized contact patch but are not crazy wide like the conical full/radial full. Classics scare me on transition with their narrow contact patch. I personally ride the 58mm on everything, but if you’re not riding vert the 55mm would be a good all around size.

I’ve never tried radials, but they seem like they would be good for transition too

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4083 on: April 18, 2022, 08:59:42 AM »

I just started riding the 55mm Oski Radials and they feel great so far. Perfect blend of classic and conical, and I think they're positioning them as a transition wheel since they're offering them more in larger sizes. I would say they're definitely worth a shot.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4084 on: April 18, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »

Conical full has worked out for me the best so far.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4085 on: April 18, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »
Some days conical full feels like a monster truck mowing over everything and some days feels like a boat. Haven’t ridden them yet but I got 55mm OG Classics to bring the clunk down. Had one bad experience with a 53mm Radial unlocking on coping that sent head to concrete and now they’re cursed. Got a second hand set of coned 53-55mm Classic Fulls that would probably be the best.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4086 on: April 18, 2022, 09:54:43 AM »
Why does Spitfire bother producing shapes they have no intention of producing regularly?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4087 on: April 18, 2022, 10:49:04 AM »
damn, Spitfire got no love for the small wheel skaters, 51mm is the smallest they've got and that's a one-model rollover from last catalog. Don't they know curb skating is hot right now? 

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #4088 on: April 18, 2022, 11:03:39 AM »
damn, Spitfire got no love for the small wheel skaters, 51mm is the smallest they've got and that's a one-model rollover from last catalog. Don't they know curb skating is hot right now?

What’s the advantage of a smaller wheel for curb skating? I’ve been skating a lot more curbs lately and started wanting to go down to 52mm (coming from a 54-55). Not sure why I’m wanting to go smaller, just instinctively I guess.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4089 on: April 18, 2022, 11:11:05 AM »

Lil Smokies are F4 and are available in 48-50 mm.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4090 on: April 18, 2022, 11:15:28 AM »

After testing on a set of factory second NFG’s, the next time I need new wheels I’m just going to get conical fulls in the right diameter and shave the edges down with an angle grinder

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4091 on: April 18, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What’s the advantage of a smaller wheel for curb skating? I’ve been skating a lot more curbs lately and started wanting to go down to 52mm (coming from a 54-55). Not sure why I’m wanting to go smaller, just instinctively I guess.

Less wheel usually means more hanger.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #4092 on: April 18, 2022, 01:30:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Makes sense. Gets into the meat of the hanger better too I assume.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4093 on: April 18, 2022, 01:50:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There are skinny wheels with large diameters, and vice versa. I'm guessing this person prefers small diameter to get in and out of locks easier? Maybe for more sorta "curb dancing" type skating where you are going between different grind locks? Who knows...
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #4094 on: April 18, 2022, 04:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lil Smokies are F4 and are available in 48-50 mm.
these are long gone anywhere in the US tho

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

There are skinny wheels with large diameters, and vice versa. I'm guessing this person prefers small diameter to get in and out of locks easier? Maybe for more sorta "curb dancing" type skating where you are going between different grind locks? Who knows...
I don't know about any actual functional advantage of small wheels and curb skating, I was just referring to the concept of small wheels being the predominant style when curb skating was also at it's peak in the early-mid-90s.  I personally prefer small wheels because they limit the weight on my otherwise oversized/overweight setup (8.75/159s) and if i'm just skating curbs I'm not really looking for maximum speed.  Edit: and yeah, I love a noseslide/nosegrind combo so I guess smaller wheels help with that 

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4095 on: April 18, 2022, 04:41:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Easy curb shuffle has been my understanding. Maybe more clearance for board/tail/nose slides on lower curbs too? 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4096 on: April 18, 2022, 05:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Easy curb shuffle has been my understanding. Maybe more clearance for board/tail/nose slides on lower curbs too? 

I find it much easier to say, go from a front 5-0 - pivot- to switch ng with a smaller 'classic' shape; something like a tablet is much harder. It's a trade off tho, small classics slip the fuck out a ton, round wheel, round curb/coping but they're easier to get up and on; bigger round wheels aren't as bad as the larger diameter means a larger sidewall.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4097 on: April 18, 2022, 06:45:48 PM »

After testing on a set of factory second NFG’s, the next time I need new wheels I’m just going to get conical fulls in the right diameter and shave the edges down with an angle grinder

Yes!!!

Once you get the hang of it, the process is super easy and you can "round off" any wheel to make them easier to get in and out of things, especially older wheels that have sharper edges.

Conical Full wheels from new have quite a good side edge on them, but once worn down a few mm, I take the angle grinder to them and make them a lot more rounded, while still keeping a wide surface area, which is a win win.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4098 on: April 22, 2022, 05:09:07 AM »
Alright. Radial Fulls F4 56mm 99a.

After skating them for a couple weeks now, I'm realizing they are just a bit too bulky and heavy. I think the wheel would fill a better niche if they were 97a instead of 99a. As it is, its a huge bulky wheel that still struggles with crusty streets, which is my main gripe. Not quite the ATV wheels I was hoping for.

I thought the pure massiveness would help overcome its hardness on crusty streets, but I was wrong. The streets my F4 97a and STF 99a can handle, these things can't. Its more a complaint about F4 99a (and my neighborhood) than anything, but I just wanted to give a heads up. Its just frustrating how often I find myself walking board in hand because they can't handle the streets my other wheels can.

I do love the confidence they give me for riding up/over things. They've done a great job in regards to cracks, riding up curbs, and skating weirdly shaped shit... any "obstacles" aside from bumpy streets. It feels like I've got monster truck wheels at times which definitely instills confidence to just go for shit.

They're really nice on smooth terrain. I think my favorite thing about them is I'm rarely afraid of them slipping out, but they still have a controllable slide for practical purposes. I feel confident they won't slip out on me while hill bombing, yet they're not too grippy to revert and speed check.

Not a bad wheel at all but compared to the excitement I had, I'm feeling a bit let down. On top of this, one of the wheels has a bit of a lateral wobble, which I've heard other people complain about with this batch. Maybe the bearing holes aren't sized properly or something, I'm not sure. I've also had a couple chunks come out of the wheel just from pebbles, which I didn't know happened to 99a+ wheels? One of them is a small/medium chunk that is fairly deep on the riding surface. Definitely the biggest chunk I've had in a wheel. Not even my softer F4 97a Conical Full ever chunked like this.

+ Can skate confidently due to shape and riding patch width. Feels like monster truck wheels in a good way
+ Good grip but still slide
+/- These things are massive, definitely the largest street wheel I've skated (or seen in person)
+/- Can extend the width of your trucks by a bit if you throw on an extra washer or two on the inside of the wheels.
- Bulky and heavy
- Despite size, aren't going to handle shitty streets very well
- QC issues and chunking?

8/10. I'd probably rate them higher if I wasn't living somewhere with such shitty streets. Good wheel, but they are definitely wider and heavier than Conical Fulls. Keep in mind these are not only wider, but also have a convex side slightly adding weight rather than a concave conical cut side slightly reducing weight. The radial shape has many benefits, but its worth keeping in mind that slight weight difference since we're talking about a wheel that is so wide and tall.

I have my eyes on some OG Classics next time around. I'm going to push my luck with wheelbite and try the 58mm. Definitely seems like it will be a more manageable wheel shape without the diminishing returns of bulk and weight that a Radial wheel gives you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 05:17:57 AM by FuzzGNU »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4099 on: April 22, 2022, 05:50:58 AM »

After skating them for a couple weeks now, I'm realizing they are just a bit too bulky and heavy. I think the wheel would fill a better niche if they were 97a instead of 99a. As it is, its a huge bulky wheel that still struggles with crusty streets, which is my main gripe. Not quite the ATV wheels I was hoping for.

I thought the pure massiveness would help overcome its hardness on crusty streets, but I was wrong. The streets my F4 97a and STF 99a can handle, these things can't. Its more a complaint about F4 99a (and my neighborhood) than anything, but I just wanted to give a heads up. Its just frustrating how often I find myself walking board in hand because they can't handle the streets my other wheels can.

I do love the confidence they give me for riding up/over things. They've done a great job in regards to cracks, riding up curbs, and skating weirdly shaped shit... any "obstacles" aside from bumpy streets. It feels like I've got monster truck wheels at times which definitely instills confidence to just go for shit.

They're really nice on smooth terrain. I think my favorite thing about them is I'm rarely afraid of them slipping out, but they still have a controllable slide for practical purposes. I feel confident they won't slip out on me while hill bombing, yet they're not too grippy to revert and speed check.

Not a bad wheel at all but compared to the excitement I had, I'm feeling a bit let down. On top of this, one of the wheels has a bit of a lateral wobble, which I've heard other people complain about with this batch. Maybe the bearing holes aren't sized properly or something, I'm not sure. I've also had a couple chunks come out of the wheel just from pebbles, which I didn't know happened to 99a+ wheels? One of them is a small/medium chunk that is fairly deep on the riding surface. Definitely the biggest chunk I've had in a wheel. Not even my softer F4 97a Conical Full ever chunked like this.

+ Can skate confidently due to shape and riding patch width. Feels like monster truck wheels in a good way
+/- These things are massive, definitely the largest street wheel I've skated (or seen in person)
+/- Can extend the width of your trucks by a bit if you throw on an extra washer or two on the inside of the wheels.
- Bulky and heavy

8/10. I'd probably rate them higher if I wasn't living somewhere with such shitty streets. Good wheel, but they are definitely wider and heavier than Conical Fulls. Keep in mind these are not only wider, but also have a convex side slightly adding weight rather than a concave conical cut side slightly reducing weight. The radial shape has many benefits, but its worth keeping in mind that slight weight difference since we're talking about a wheel that is so wide and tall.

I have my eyes on some OG Classics next time around. I'm going to push my luck with wheelbite and try the 58mm. Definitely seems like it will be a more manageable wheel shape without the diminishing returns of bulk and weight that a Radial wheel gives you.

Nice review.  Skated the radial fulls for two or three months and feel pretty similar.  I thought they felt good riding (very fast feel) and both rolled up into slappies and locked into grinds well.  I retired them figuring that they’re going to continue to widen as they wear down to a certain extent so I feel like they’re not a good long term wheel to commit to for an entire year or so cause you’ll end up with an insanely wide but small wheel.  I grabbed some regular radials in a smaller size and plan to skate those for a while figuring they’ll wear into a nice shape over time. 

In terms of the OG classics, other than looking cool I don’t think they are necessarily better at anything than Conical Fulls.  They aren’t as wide as conical fulls (AFAIK) and are a little less rounded so they seem less versatile.  I had the 58s last year.  Certainly not a bad wheel but I’m not sure what niche they fill.  They do look sick though - especially seeing T-Funk skate them in footage. 

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4100 on: April 22, 2022, 07:08:06 AM »
Expand Quote

- Bulky and heavy

[close]

Nice review.  Skated the radial fulls for two or three months and feel pretty similar.  I thought they felt good riding (very fast feel) and both rolled up into slappies and locked into grinds well.  I retired them figuring that they’re going to continue to widen as they wear down to a certain extent so I feel like they’re not a good long term wheel to commit to for an entire year or so cause you’ll end up with an insanely wide but small wheel.  I grabbed some regular radials in a smaller size and plan to skate those for a while figuring they’ll wear into a nice shape over time. 

In terms of the OG classics, other than looking cool I don’t think they are necessarily better at anything than Conical Fulls.  They aren’t as wide as conical fulls (AFAIK) and are a little less rounded so they seem less versatile.  I had the 58s last year.  Certainly not a bad wheel but I’m not sure what niche they fill.  They do look sick though - especially seeing T-Funk skate them in footage.

Ah thanks a ton, I appreciate your insight.

Yeah, T Funk even rides the red 60mm I noticed. I like looser trucks and don't want to raise my board any higher, so that's a no go for me. I might regret 58mm as is.

The OGs look so sick, but we seem to have similar taste in wheels, so I'll keep you words in mind. I could definitely see them losing their optimal shape a lot quicker than other shapes.

Did you find there was any benefits of the Radials over Conical Full or nah?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4101 on: April 22, 2022, 08:19:57 AM »

- Bulky and heavy

Great review. I'm a couple weeks into the 55mm 99du Radials (Oski's wheel) and it might be my favorite wheel so far. I've never ridden the full version of any of the wheels though, they end up looking like monster trucks wheels to me. Looking forward to your classic review!

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #4102 on: April 22, 2022, 09:56:16 AM »

- Bulky and heavy

I had the Kader full rads 58s, and came away with the same sentiment as you.  Switched them up with F4 classic 55s 99s.  Much easier to get into slappies and less contact width.  Also slimmer, doesn't make your kit look like vroom vroom Fisher Price My First Tractor.

edit: the drawback to the classics is yes can get into those sharp angle curb slap better, but they can slip out easier cuz of the fully rounded corners on them.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4103 on: April 22, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Bulky and heavy

[close]

[close]

Ah thanks a ton, I appreciate your insight.

Yeah, T Funk even rides the red 60mm I noticed. I like looser trucks and don't want to raise my board any higher, so that's a no go for me. I might regret 58mm as is.

The OGs look so sick, but we seem to have similar taste in wheels, so I'll keep you words in mind. I could definitely see them losing their optimal shape a lot quicker than other shapes.

Did you find there was any benefits of the Radials over Conical Full or nah?

Actually yeah.  I’ve been completely pleasantly surprised by the radials.  Never had them before.  I feel like Spitfire stumbled upon the perfect contact patch width with the regular radials where they somehow handle rough ground about as well as conical fulls or OG classics while also being a slimmer, lighter overall wheel with a more rounded edge.  I thought the drop-off in overall rideability would be really noticeable going from 57 mm radial fulls to 55 mm radials but I inexplicably like them better.  The set I have currently chipped really bad on one wheel which is kind of annoying but that will smooth out eventually. 

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4104 on: April 22, 2022, 05:32:51 PM »
Radials are the best shape in my opinion but they are kinda tank.

I like my conical full 56s but I prefer the og classic in 58. The purple swirl holds mad weight in my mind. The conical full graphic is meh.

Probably just going to 60mm classic next time I buy spit. Unless I see orange wheels then nothing else matters to me so long as it’s f4
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4105 on: April 22, 2022, 11:29:28 PM »
Are Classic fulls a continued shaped? I've recently put my Grosso Classic Fulls on, but I have a hard time sticking to something if I can't keep buying it.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4106 on: April 22, 2022, 11:34:25 PM »
Are Classic fulls a continued shaped? I've recently put my Grosso Classic Fulls on, but I have a hard time sticking to something if I can't keep buying it.
they are not in prebooks for summer or fall, so scoop some of the repeater ones while you can

also, @uncle flea im sure ur aware but there are orange 54 99 tablets circulating still from 2 or 3 seasons ago

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4107 on: April 23, 2022, 02:05:52 AM »

It is a bit of a struggle to find more if you don't stock up when they are around, with nothing in the 56 or 58 mm sizes yet, but they are a fairly regular release in some form or other.  Grosso wheel, Lance Pro Classic wheel, two other more generic / special collection graphics I can recall in 56 mm in the last few years as well - Ransom series and Overlay series.

What size did you have or do you prefer?

My go to is the 56 mm Classic Full shape, but I have been riding a lot of others including even just the normal classic and being happy enough too, especially when they have worn down a mm or so.

Radials in 55 or 57 mm are also a good wheel and similar in overall performance, especially the 57 mm size, of which there are still a number out there.

Lastly the Classics in 60 mm x 39 mm with 21.5 mm contact are maybe the closest to the 58 mm Classic Full shape, if you could deal with a slightly bigger wheel to start with, so I would recommend that wheel as a good one too.  They are still in normal production and still available here in Australia, as well as in quite a few other shops worldwide.

A few options anyway.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4108 on: April 23, 2022, 09:10:26 AM »
I  have some old 54mm classic f4s That are about 52 now. Has anyone used a countersink tool to concave the side so it’s like a V5 or a conical? As long as I don’t go in far enough it doesn’t mess up wear the bearing seats it should be fine right?
Also if it works I’m kinda debating on taking tablets.l and making a narrow lock in. Leave the inside of the tablet alone and on the out side counter sink it so it’s concave and then round the edges a bit. I have all the tools at work. I just gotta make some sort of jig to hold the wheels but also I can just use a drill press for the counter sink and be fine to I think.  How dumb is this? @Mbrimson88  thoughts?

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #4109 on: April 23, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »
I  have some old 54mm classic f4s That are about 52 now. Has anyone used a countersink tool to concave the side so it’s like a V5 or a conical? As long as I don’t go in far enough it doesn’t mess up wear the bearing seats it should be fine right?
Also if it works I’m kinda debating on taking tablets.l and making a narrow lock in. Leave the inside of the tablet alone and on the out side counter sink it so it’s concave and then round the edges a bit. I have all the tools at work. I just gotta make some sort of jig to hold the wheels but also I can just use a drill press for the counter sink and be fine to I think.  How dumb is this? @Mbrimson88  thoughts?
Sounds like alot of work when you could just buy v5s or conical wheels.