Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 705196 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5010 on: May 01, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »
Expand Quote
does anybody know if the colored formula fours feel different than the white ones?

call me crazy but i have this idea in my head that they perform differently
[close]
I felt no difference performance wise
The black radials I had were the first f4s i've flatspotted although I admittedly was doing a bunch of powerslides out of tricks. It evened out quick tho and has been rolling nice again.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 771
« Reply #5011 on: May 01, 2023, 09:12:28 AM »
Unless you are riding a clear brown, yellow or green looking wheel, you are riding a dyed wheel. The question we should be asking is, are white-dyed wheels any different to other colors?

Also, I'd be stoked on a natural urethane (no dye) wheel.

Its also why I like potato brown F4s...

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #5012 on: May 01, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know of the major difference between skating the 56 and 55mm classic shapes? i remember someone mentioned before that 56mm is a bigger difference in the wheel being a 53mm radial after they wear down, one more like a radial slim vs. regular radial or something
[close]

There’s only a 0.3mm increase in both width and riding surface, it’s negligible. Especially once they wear down a couple mm I can’t tell the difference between the two.

That's what makes the 55 so sweet (and similar to the 56s) the riding patch jumps up 1 mm  between 54 and 55, where as the difference between the riding patch between sizes below 54 is only .5mm

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 116
« Reply #5013 on: May 01, 2023, 10:39:22 AM »
For anyone interested, thrasher has a giveaway going on for 3 packs of formula four's. It's 2 packs of 99 duro and 1 of 101 duro. Doesn't say size though. I assume they'd ask the winner what size they want in the notification email

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/giveaways/?GIVEAWAYSPITFIREAPRILV1
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 10:48:45 AM by The Mexican Nancy Chin »

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #5014 on: May 01, 2023, 04:19:17 PM »

I ended up using an angle grinder to round out one side my conical regs.  So they are like a skinnier lock in. I’m not sure if I got all the radiuses to match but I’m pretty happy with them. Lock in and I got some assist on scoop tricks. I’ll probably round the other side out when they begin to cone

Nice! Would gnar.

Wheel reshaping nerdery coming to more slap posts soon.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5015 on: May 02, 2023, 01:00:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anybody know if the colored formula fours feel different than the white ones?

call me crazy but i have this idea in my head that they perform differently
[close]
i will swear by colored spits feeling different. softer, or more forgiving.
[close]

they dont have the same bark on smooth ground as raw spits and they for sure feel softer
YES much quieter and "in the pavement" feeling, honestly prefer it

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #5016 on: May 02, 2023, 10:44:01 AM »
Since getting back into skating three years ago I've been riding Girl wheels or whatever was on sale. Picked up the Skate like a girl classics in 56mm and have been riding them for the last few weeks. I wish I got F4s years ago. Not sure how to describe it or if the quantum atoms are making a difference but the ride is just so much better in a way. It just feels more controlled while being easier to slide compared to my girl wheels. Still trying to decide if I like 56mm as the largest I skated before was 54mm.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #5017 on: May 02, 2023, 10:58:50 AM »
Since getting back into skating three years ago I've been riding Girl wheels or whatever was on sale. Picked up the Skate like a girl classics in 56mm and have been riding them for the last few weeks. I wish I got F4s years ago. Not sure how to describe it or if the quantum atoms are making a difference but the ride is just so much better in a way. It just feels more controlled while being easier to slide compared to my girl wheels. Still trying to decide if I like 56mm as the largest I skated before was 54mm.
Girl/Choco wheels are some of the worst wheels I've ever ridden. The Atoms are also great, but I can tell you the improvement you're noticing is 100% the wheels. 

rikki

• Rep: 280
« Reply #5018 on: May 03, 2023, 04:15:29 AM »

Replace the Atoms with Bones Swisses and you'll be absolutely flying.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5019 on: May 12, 2023, 06:16:58 PM »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5020 on: May 12, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »

Is it asymmetrical or is it just my eyes?

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #5021 on: May 12, 2023, 06:46:07 PM »
lock in full?

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #5022 on: May 12, 2023, 06:59:57 PM »
 Still leaving so much on the table by not putting the graphic on the other side of the lock-ins and calling them lock-outs.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5023 on: May 12, 2023, 09:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Def has a Mini-Combo vibe. Seems like an odd thing to get into when you already have Lock-Ins going, as well as hundreds of angry people on the internet wanting Radial Slims.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5024 on: May 12, 2023, 11:20:31 PM »

Def has a Mini-Combo vibe. Seems like an odd thing to get into when you already have Lock-Ins going, as well as hundreds of angry people on the internet wanting Radial Slims.

I do wonder in reality how many people actually want Radial Slims, or if it is more the vocal minority because DLX really do seem to listen to people and make product that people are keen on, or bring back things if enough people want something.

From what others in the know have said, there is no light at the end of this Radial Slim tunnel, but who really knows unless they have enough people pounding on their digital door asking for something and the powers that be do think it is a viable option.

The wide wheel trend is in full effect, so anything else super wide is definitely going to be lapped up and sell quickly, regardless of the exact shape, but the mini combo shaped wheels have been a good one for a while now, so it would make sense to have something similar to that in the current climate.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5025 on: May 12, 2023, 11:52:52 PM »

Why are wide wheels so popular right now? My experience with super wide wheels is that they are heavy and make everything harder. I know a few people who tried the radial fulls and they have said the same. It would be cool if they made a new shape that was more functional

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #5026 on: May 13, 2023, 12:05:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maybe these are the lock-ins full that The Bunt talked about before the rapid fire in the Reese Forbes interview.

rikki

• Rep: 280
« Reply #5027 on: May 13, 2023, 12:09:32 AM »
Wide asym wheels? No thanks.

pops

• Rep: 237
« Reply #5028 on: May 13, 2023, 12:48:48 AM »
Bleh. Is there really demand for another shape?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #5029 on: May 13, 2023, 04:36:24 AM »
Spitfire please, just make more 60mm Radial Fulls. I'm begging. I'll need to open my back up set soon.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5030 on: May 13, 2023, 05:16:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why are wide wheels so popular right now? My experience with super wide wheels is that they are heavy and make everything harder. I know a few people who tried the radial fulls and they have said the same. It would be cool if they made a new shape that was more functional

Cause they look cool

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5031 on: May 13, 2023, 05:17:23 AM »
Did spitfire give up on the slim wheel market share?
Seems like bones never even tried to get any of the wide wheel share either.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5032 on: May 13, 2023, 05:57:30 AM »
Spitfire make a classic with side cuts. Like bones v5

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #5033 on: May 13, 2023, 06:09:38 AM »
Just thought about that as well. Would be the best wheel ever.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5034 on: May 13, 2023, 07:29:35 AM »
It doesn't seem consistent with the lock-ins full description from the catalog:
A wider version of the lock-in shape.
Asymmetrical shape and design, featuring a conical cut profile on one side and a straight edge "lock-in" cut on the other
that wheel in the story doesn't really look asymetrical, iirc the inside should be flatter

but based on this picture, i guess that new shape is the lock-ins full

Radial full are coming in 54mm. Not a new shape per se but a new diameter option for radial full

Anyway Lock-Ins Full and Radial Full 54mm are the only wheels that could be considered new in the Summer catalog

i think Radial full suck, they make your hanger so tiny
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 11:21:25 AM by BALARGUE »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #5035 on: May 13, 2023, 09:11:29 AM »
Why are wide wheels so popular right now? My experience with super wide wheels is that they are heavy and make everything harder.
Because they last longer and are more stable.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5036 on: May 13, 2023, 10:59:49 AM »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #5037 on: May 13, 2023, 11:02:01 AM »

This would be amazing

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5038 on: May 13, 2023, 01:33:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do wonder in reality how many people actually want Radial Slims, or if it is more the vocal minority because DLX really do seem to listen to people and make product that people are keen on, or bring back things if enough people want something.

From what others in the know have said, there is no light at the end of this Radial Slim tunnel, but who really knows unless they have enough people pounding on their digital door asking for something and the powers that be do think it is a viable option.

The wide wheel trend is in full effect, so anything else super wide is definitely going to be lapped up and sell quickly, regardless of the exact shape, but the mini combo shaped wheels have been a good one for a while now, so it would make sense to have something similar to that in the current climate.

That’s true. I guess it just feels like a “ramp wheel” shape to me and Spitfire has always been more of a “street wheel” brand. That said, these look much better than the regular Lock-Ins to me. Aesthetically, I never liked the Tablet half on those (even though I don’t mind the look of Tablets in general).

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #5039 on: May 13, 2023, 03:44:48 PM »
They should release the Conical Boul shape designed to skate the streets of Philly. From running from the cops at Muni to skating the grimiest cellar door. Don't be a fool, Conical Boul.