Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689450 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4620 on: December 25, 2022, 01:34:29 PM »
maybe not slower but you will need more pushes to hold speed
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

eviltgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #4621 on: December 26, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »
Got some classic 53s for Christmas that I'm pretty excited for, only ridden conical fulls before so it'll be a big change but I'm excited to give them a go.  Unfortunately the indoor park here is deadly slippery so I don't think I'm gonna get to try these out until the snow clears up

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4622 on: December 26, 2022, 08:42:23 AM »
Got some classic 53s for Christmas that I'm pretty excited for, only ridden conical fulls before so it'll be a big change but I'm excited to give them a go.  Unfortunately the indoor park here is deadly slippery so I don't think I'm gonna get to try these out until the snow clears up

53 classics are close to the perfect wheel for most skating (IMHO)...except indoor parks. The smaller contact patch, plus indoor dust = super slippery.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

IpathCats

« Reply #4623 on: January 05, 2023, 06:28:10 AM »
Yo! Just posted this in the wheels thread and someone suggested i post it here, so here i am.

I tried some 54mm 101a F4 classics recently, I really liked them.

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s *classics* that im used to.

My question is, do you guys think a 54mm 101a radial would be a good middle ground?

Would the extra riding surface help handle rougher terrain and maybe make them grippier compared to the 54mm 101 classic?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:08:27 AM by IpathCats »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4624 on: January 05, 2023, 08:45:38 AM »
radials skinnier and have LESS riding surface area
ONTARIO CANADA

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #4625 on: January 05, 2023, 09:20:53 AM »
According to the Spitfire charts...

54mm Classic is 33.5mm wide with 16.5mm riding surface
54mm Radial is 34mm wide with a 20mm riding surface.

I'd say the wider riding surface of a Radial will help a little on rougher ground but I don't know if I'd consider it a true compromise between a 99 classic and a 101 classic.

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4626 on: January 05, 2023, 09:24:12 AM »
I use both wheels, classics and radials.
54mm so they could easily go down a bit.

Radial has:
54   WIDTH 34   RIDING SURFACE 20

Classic:
54    WIDTH  33.5    RIDING SURFACE 16.5

Try them!

IpathCats

« Reply #4627 on: January 05, 2023, 10:45:06 AM »
radials skinnier and have LESS riding surface area

.....Nah

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4628 on: January 05, 2023, 01:24:57 PM »

I have both 54mm Classics and Radials in both 99 and 101 on boards.

The 99s are very consistent in the feel on everything, but the 101s are a bit more here and there in terms of slide, grip and everything else, so it is not so much that they feel harder and slide more, quite often feeling more grippy than 99s but sometimes being a little more slick when you do get into a slide.

Either way, Radial when new is a little bit more of an "all rounder" compared to Classics when new.

I like both, but I can also feel the difference - not a whole lot, but there is a difference there.

Overall I think if I could get 54mm Radials all the time, I might ride those over Classics, but they are somewhat hard to come by at times, so Classics are the easy fall back option, as I do prefer a round edge but a wider profile and riding surface.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4629 on: January 05, 2023, 03:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

53 classics are close to the perfect wheel for most skating (IMHO)...except indoor parks. The smaller contact patch, plus indoor dust = super slippery.

Classics 53mm are what I ended up with on my main setup after trying a bunch of different shapes and sizes. I use the 97A ones in the winter primarily because they are perfect to counter that indoor dust. No need for bigger wheels if you can go a bit softer.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4630 on: January 05, 2023, 06:30:29 PM »
Yo! Just posted this in the wheels thread and someone suggested i post it here, so here i am.

However, I really noticed the difference when riding less than optimal surfaces when compared to the 56mm 99a f4s *classics* that im used to.

My question is, do you guys think a 54mm 101a radial would be a good middle ground?

Would the extra riding surface help handle rougher terrain and maybe make them grippier compared to the 54mm 101 classic?

Thanks in advance

Of the options, as per my initial post earlier, how readily available are Radials in 101?

I know there are black ones out right now, but as far as any normal (not coloured) options, I don't think there are any, are there?

More just thinking out loud than anything else, re availability.

As for a direct answer, yes Radials are going to feel better than Classics, as are 53mm or even 54mm Conical Full when new, just to throw that in there as well.  At least they come in both 99 and 101 in natural colour, are readily available almost anywhere, if you did want a wheel with a bit more width.

I just had a skate on a board with 56mm Classics and once they are worn down a couple of mm, they are about the same contact patch as Radials anyway (but still a slightly wider wheel) so are any of your usual 56mm Classics down in those 53-54mm sort of sizes?

IpathCats

« Reply #4631 on: January 06, 2023, 12:47:46 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance
[close]

Of the options, as per my initial post earlier, how readily available are Radials in 101?

I know there are black ones out right now, but as far as any normal (not coloured) options, I don't think there are any, are there?

More just thinking out loud than anything else, re availability.

As for a direct answer, yes Radials are going to feel better than Classics, as are 53mm or even 54mm Conical Full when new, just to throw that in there as well.  At least they come in both 99 and 101 in natural colour, are readily available almost anywhere, if you did want a wheel with a bit more width.

I just had a skate on a board with 56mm Classics and once they are worn down a couple of mm, they are about the same contact patch as Radials anyway (but still a slightly wider wheel) so are any of your usual 56mm Classics down in those 53-54mm sort of sizes?

I'm not sure how readily available 54mm 101a radials are, the guy that runs my local shop will usually just show me what his distributor has and get me whatever. I honestly just assumed i could get them

I dont have any old sets of 56 99a's laying around at the moment, mine are fairly new on my current setup, could def just run them down a bit to see what a 54mm 99a radial would be like. I used to ride the 56mm radials a lot so i have a decent idea.

BUT i never tried them in 101 which is where my dilemma is. I loved the 54mm 101 classics when the ground suited them. I was hoping that maybe a wider 101 with more riding surface would help to make more ground suitable for 101s.

edit: after a quick search, it def looks like youre right about the limited availability. and i cant do black wheels, im not punk rock enough for that. Looks like im staying on the trusty 56mm 99a classics. always available, work in most situations.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #4632 on: January 18, 2023, 09:48:39 AM »
New Ishod wheels announced on Spit's IG
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnkIjP2pZvW/
53 & 55mm F4's

JimmyFive

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4633 on: January 25, 2023, 02:46:14 AM »
What's happened to the F4 OG Classic's? Have they been discontinued? I would love to find a set, 58mm for mainly transition. Live in NZ. Some products don't make it all the way down here... They look like a great medium between conical full and classic. Graphics look sick too

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4634 on: January 25, 2023, 05:35:41 AM »
What's happened to the F4 OG Classic's? Have they been discontinued? I would love to find a set, 58mm for mainly transition. Live in NZ. Some products don't make it all the way down here... They look like a great medium between conical full and classic. Graphics look sick too

i really like them but yeah they seem discontinued unfortunately
nowhere to be found in Sprind D1 & D2 catalogs, Summer D1 catalog neither
I'll check the dims later but lock-Ins Full are coming (Summer Drop) and might be a good alternative
I'll miss the swirl on those OG Classics
Here in France, new stock prices are now 65€ and will be 70€ on next drop...  :-\

Stock up fellas

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4635 on: January 25, 2023, 06:36:44 AM »
ohhh i thought radials were the slim ones but i am thinking actually Radial Slims. radials are actually the same width as the conical fulls, i thought they were skinnier but they just have a more aggressive cut. that does actually seem like a pretty good wheel. idk i just love the conical full that is perfect wheel for me. the radials and classics both seem like they would work for me if no conical fulls were available(i imagine i have rode these shapes in Bones and OJ / maybe even currently riding them on my other setups) but why even bother switching when this is the exact thing i like the best.
ONTARIO CANADA

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4636 on: January 25, 2023, 06:53:35 AM »
Just got some 54 classics in 99a. Smallest wheel I’ve had in years, but was shocked at the skinny riding surface. Will see how we go, [size=78%]setting up my first Popsicle in over 10 years. [/size]

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4637 on: January 25, 2023, 07:03:59 AM »
classics look kinda like donuts
i just cant stand tall skinny, i like the way chunky looks. i was all about that tablet shape for like 10 years becuase i was only skating perfect skatepark plazas and skating in completely straight lines. they work amazing for that type of skating. i never see people rocking them anymore. maybe tre williams
ONTARIO CANADA

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4638 on: January 25, 2023, 07:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll check the dims later but lock-Ins Full are coming (Summer Drop) and might be a good alternative
Here in France, new stock prices are now 65€ and will be 70€ on next drop...  :-\

Stock up fellas

at my local the prices of the new arrived ones are are sometimes even 75euro. thats just fucked up.

i should be getting some new wheels soon. thinking of trying some classics since all i skate are curbs these days and i only got the most square wheels they offer right now. Tablets and OG classics.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4639 on: January 25, 2023, 08:15:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Stock up fellas
[close]

at my local the prices of the new arrived ones are are sometimes even 75euro. thats just fucked up.

i should be getting some new wheels soon. thinking of trying some classics since all i skate are curbs these days and i only got the most square wheels they offer right now. Tablets and OG classics.

Re OG Classics, especially the 58 and 60mm sizes - I didn't see replies earlier but somewhere back in this thread (or another one) people had asked DLX and the response was they will make more in the first quarter of 2023, so should be available again just before mid year.

I would rather quote the person, so if anyone finds it, or was that person, please repost the answer again.

Thanks.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4640 on: January 25, 2023, 08:38:31 AM »
Love my GT OG classics 53mm, my local here in CZ still have them on sale
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4641 on: January 25, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »

53mm at your grown age *giggles*

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #4642 on: January 25, 2023, 12:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

53mm at your grown age *giggles*

What's the age limit on what size wheels? Please respond very quickly as I have some 50mm and 60mms set up right now and I am deep into middle age with very little time to spare.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4643 on: January 25, 2023, 12:19:19 PM »
Really wish 53mm Rad Slims became a regular thing again...
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

JimmyFive

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4644 on: January 25, 2023, 09:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Stock up fellas
[close]

[close]

Re OG Classics, especially the 58 and 60mm sizes - I didn't see replies earlier but somewhere back in this thread (or another one) people had asked DLX and the response was they will make more in the first quarter of 2023, so should be available again just before mid year.

I would rather quote the person, so if anyone finds it, or was that person, please repost the answer again.

Thanks.

Sweet, I hope so! Thanks for the heads up! Till then I'll be on conical full/conical

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4645 on: January 26, 2023, 01:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Stock up fellas
[close]

[close]

Thanks.
there is hope

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4646 on: January 26, 2023, 03:37:56 AM »
What is like the smallest wheel with the widest riding surface? Something like a Radial in 50mm would be hella cool I think.
IG: @flowterspace

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4647 on: January 26, 2023, 06:48:27 AM »
What is like the smallest wheel with the widest riding surface? Something like a Radial in 50mm would be hella cool I think.
OG Classics

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #4648 on: January 26, 2023, 08:05:53 AM »
Lil Smokies are available in Concial Full 50mm
https://www.studioskatesupply.com/f4-99-lil-smokies-conical-full-50mm-wheels.html

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4649 on: January 26, 2023, 10:51:22 AM »
Would love to see an OG classic release in 97a. 58s in 97 might be the perfect wheel for crusty town romps.