Author Topic: Cinder block ledges?  (Read 4350 times)

raunchyrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Cinder block ledges?
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
Hey, any of you have any advice on how to make them? Like what to use, quickcrete vs cauk or what? Any other tips?

Im trying to make one by springtime and any input you can give is greatly appreciated

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
Re: Cinder block ledges?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »

That's all I got though

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
It is a little more expensive than what they did in that video but I suggest getting the plastic decking material for the top. 3 strips of the material fits on 2 cinderblocks side by side like so:

A good ledge is 2 bricks high. If you want to make it a little lower, you can do one brick high and stack these to your desired height:

And yes, glue works just fine. I have built ledges a few times in the past and they have been sessioned heavily. Never had an issue with using glue. Concrete and mortar can be a little cheaper, but it is may more work. With glue, you can build a ledge in less than an hour and it will be dry and ready to skate in about 2 hours.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:59:42 PM »
This is one from our secret diy:

It's basically just eight 8x8x8 cinder blocks with two parking blocks on top.  It skates like a ledge/concrete flatbar.  The parking blocks are connected to the cinder blocks with rebar and liquid nails and then bondo between the parking blocks and over the holes for the rebar.

j_u_i_c_y

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »

It's basically just eight 8x8x8 cinder blocks with two parking blocks on top.  It skates like a ledge/concrete flatbar.  The parking blocks are connected to the cinder blocks with rebar and liquid nails and then bondo between the parking blocks and over the holes for the rebar.

stupid question but how did you connect the parking blocks and the cinder blocks with rebar? and is there any way other than bondo to connect the two parking blocks, i live in the uk and have never seen bondo for sale. also first post

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

stupid question but how did you connect the parking blocks and the cinder blocks with rebar? and is there any way other than bondo to connect the two parking blocks, i live in the uk and have never seen bondo for sale. also first post

Fill the blocks with wet concrete and cement the rebar in through the parking block. 
Bondo can be used for auto body work so there might be a similar product at the autobody shop or hardware store.  You might be able to use crack filler too.

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »

that looks like the funnest thing ever.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »

I love skating these more than anything.

Kankle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
My d.i.y spot got torn out. It's hard to come by random slabs of concrete!