Author Topic: Aurora shootings: an open discussion on the death penalty.  (Read 4563 times)

ben shraider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
Re: Aurora shootings: an open discussion on the death penalty.
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2013, 03:49:56 AM »
I think the directly offended victims should decide the criminals fate. The court gives them a list of punishment suited for the conviction and the victims loved ones go to town.

No, the legal system and the punishments should never be based on emotions and feelings. That's one of the reasons we have the whole system in the first place.

I think the most important thing is to not give him any chance of being in touch with the outside world so that he can't influence others to do what he did. Just locking him up somewhere and letting people forget all about him would be the best solution.

KOOL MIKE

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2013, 07:40:26 AM »
I think the directly offended victims should decide the criminals fate. The court gives them a list of punishment suited for the conviction and the victims loved ones go to town.

we cant have that coz what if the famillys is in on that shit? than at tha court the familys is gonna say we want him not punished but payed and layed the fuck outa here

4LOM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
punishments should never be based on emotions and feelings. That's one of the reasons we have the whole system in the first place.

What about victim impact statements? They're given during sentencing, so emotions must have some use in punishing. Maybe to determine extent of harm?

I can see not letting the victim's family determine punishment - since they'll punish unjustly/disproportionately or we'll get too much variation among punishments to consider it fair/just.

But aren't emotions (guilt/indignation) like value-detectors in the world, they tell us when something wrong has happened and that punishment is appropriate?  

the most important thing is to not give him any chance of being in touch with the outside world so that he can't influence others to do what he did.

But aren't influences of the outside world the reason why the wrongdoer acted?
If someone else is wired for wrongdoing, then it seems that the world, not the direct influence of past wrongdoers, leads to crimes.