Author Topic: GRANT TAYLOR ON ANTI-HERO  (Read 122364 times)

shark tits

Re: GRANT TAYLOR ON ANTI-HERO
« Reply #570 on: December 29, 2013, 07:06:43 PM »
bowie has been in more skate videos so he gets the win. neil young beat the odds and successfully left canada so he's number 2 and lou reed only has 2 good songs 'heroin' and 'i'm waitin for my man' [so he can bring me some heroin].

Wizard Fight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #571 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »
bowie has been in more skate videos so he gets the win. neil young beat the odds and successfully left canada so he's number 2 and lou reed only has 2 good songs 'heroin' and 'i'm waitin for my man' [so he can bring me some heroin].

That's ignorant as fuck to ignore "Venus in Furs", Tom Penny Sorry, ya dig? Duh.

tidwid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #572 on: December 29, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm watching The Labyrinth right now.

[close]

You remind me of the babe.

What babe?

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #573 on: December 30, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »
The thing about Bowie records that no one ever admits is that 1. You probably only own ziggy and low or Aladdin insane. 2. You never listen to them and 3 there's only about 3 good songs on each album.

Who ever said that bullshit about Lou only having one classic album is an idiot. Berlin,new York, Sally can't dance, Coney Island Baby and even metal machine music are all classics to people who listen to Rock music in the non skate video context. People who think the Pixies are a good band love bullshit, like Bowie.  Lou Reed is more culturally relevant and interesting than Bowie could ever hope to be. The best thing Bowie ever did was that duet with Bing Crosby.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #574 on: December 30, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »
The thing about Bowie records that no one ever admits is that 1. You probably only own ziggy and low or Aladdin insane. 2. You never listen to them and 3 there's only about 3 good songs on each album.

Who ever said that bullshit about Lou only having one classic album is an idiot. Berlin,new York, Sally can't dance, Coney Island Baby and even metal machine music are all classics to people who listen to Rock music in the non skate video context. People who think the Pixies are a good band love bullshit, like Bowie.  Lou Reed is more culturally relevant and interesting than Bowie could ever hope to be. The best thing Bowie ever did was that duet with Bing Crosby.

HAH!

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »
Also if you forgot 'pale blue eyes' fuck you. That's one of the most beautiful songs ever written, ever.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #576 on: December 30, 2013, 02:05:05 AM »

Who ever said that bullshit about Lou only having one classic album is an idiot. Berlin,new York, Sally can't dance, Coney Island Baby and even metal machine music are all classics to people who listen to Rock music in the non skate video context. People who think the Pixies are a good band love bullshit, like Bowie.� Lou Reed is more culturally relevant and interesting than Bowie could ever hope to be. The best thing Bowie ever did was that duet with Bing Crosby.

YEAH RIGHT!

Lou Reed's only classic album is Transformer, and Bowie is all over that.   Coney Island Baby? Adult Contemporary schlock. Street Hassle, Berlin, etc.all forgettable.  Metal Machine Music is universally regarded as pseudo artistic garbage made by a man who's creative well had truly run dry. The list goes on, he never topped Transformer.  Meanwhile after Hunky Dory, Bowie made Ziggy, then Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs,  Low, Heroes, Station to Station, Young Americans, even Let's Dance holds up.

As for cultural relevance...Lou Reed's last work was a T'ai Chi accompaniment and Lulu.  He must have been trolling because you can't get anymore irrelevant than that.  Bowie on the other hand released a good album this year.

Lou Reed has just been a "cool" name to say since VU were overlooked in their time.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #577 on: December 30, 2013, 03:01:32 AM »
Quote from: new_york_shitty  link=topic=69978.msg2058203#msg2058203 date=1388164435
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
WTF is going on in here? I assure you if I ever said Mariano is mediocre, I was joking. I don't remember saying that, but I certainly could have as I am into trolling on facebook. You're going to have to link me the page with the supposed post. I truly don't know where you're getting that from. His skill is and has always been undeniable. I have definitely said that I'm not into his skating though. I don't find Fully Flared and later Mariano visually appealing. Sue me. Other than that, Reagan is 100% right.
[close]

Again, Leet, I'm happy you addressed this, and as I specifically stated, I'm happy to take back those sentiments if you're saying you didn't post that comment, or, aren't the facebook profile I posted. On Mariano's facebook page, where he posted he has a new announcement, I scrolled down and found the comment with a profile having all of your pictures (or at least pictures you've posted on Slap that I may have in error attributed to you).

I'll get to Ronald in a hot second.

[close]
No, no, no. That's definitely my account. I just don't remember typing that, although it is something I would say to laugh at the responses. I belong to a troll group on facebook that hits a lot of other pages so it's not outside my character to do so. I was pretty drunk that day. I seriously don't remember that at all, but I'm glad it's there. The responses were great. Some dude wrote a whole paragraph. Are you Chris Brannon? People get mad at the most inconsequential things. If you need to know how I really feel, refer to my first response to you.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #578 on: December 30, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Who ever said that bullshit about Lou only having one classic album is an idiot. Berlin,new York, Sally can't dance, Coney Island Baby and even metal machine music are all classics to people who listen to Rock music in the non skate video context. People who think the Pixies are a good band love bullshit, like Bowie.� Lou Reed is more culturally relevant and interesting than Bowie could ever hope to be. The best thing Bowie ever did was that duet with Bing Crosby.

[close]

YEAH RIGHT!

Lou Reed's only classic album is Transformer, and Bowie is all over that.   Coney Island Baby? Adult Contemporary schlock. Street Hassle, Berlin, etc.all forgettable.  Metal Machine Music is universally regarded as pseudo artistic garbage made by a man who's creative well had truly run dry. The list goes on, he never topped Transformer.  Meanwhile after Hunky Dory, Bowie made Ziggy, then Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs,  Low, Heroes, Station to Station, Young Americans, even Let's Dance holds up.

As for cultural relevance...Lou Reed's last work was a T'ai Chi accompaniment and Lulu.  He must have been trolling because you can't get anymore irrelevant than that.  Bowie on the other hand released a good album this year.

Lou Reed has just been a "cool" name to say since VU were overlooked in their time.

You kinda nailed the fact that Bowie writes pop songs but There's nothing challenging about Bowie. If you think Berlin. Is forgettable you either have never heard it, or are not that smart. It's a record that fucks me up. Its a dark complex record about child abuse, messily ending relationships and serious heartache. But yeah whatever 'Lets Dance!' Just because it was more popular on the charts doesn't mean it's better. The fact you call 'Coney Island' adult schlock and mention songs like 'heroes' and 'last dance' without a hint of irony tells me your record collection is probably really really boring.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #579 on: December 30, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »

You can choke on a bag of dicks right now.

Of the three artistS in contention: 1) Bowie. 2) Young. 3) The song "What goes On", simply for its inclusion in Barbarians at the Gate.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #580 on: December 30, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm watching The Labyrinth right now.

[close]

You remind me of the babe.
[close]

What babe?
The babe with the power.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #581 on: December 30, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

I think the trppy-ness of Sister Ray makes it enjoyable to me at times and White light White heat is pretty cool too. Pale Blue Eyes is my personal favorite.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
Neither Bowie nor Lou Reed were the greatest ever, though they both had some amazing songs. Both of them produced a lot of garbage too, and both of them are hip names to throw out there so you can pretend like you have good taste in music. Comparing Bowie to Neil Young is a joke, and I don't even really like Neil Young, but I respect him.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

YEAH RIGHT!

Lou Reed's only classic album is Transformer, and Bowie is all over that.� �Coney Island Baby? Adult Contemporary schlock. Street Hassle, Berlin, etc.all forgettable.� Metal Machine Music is universally regarded as pseudo artistic garbage made by a man who's creative well had truly run dry. The list goes on, he never topped Transformer.� Meanwhile after Hunky Dory, Bowie made Ziggy, then Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs,� Low, Heroes, Station to Station, Young Americans, even Let's Dance holds up.

As for cultural relevance...Lou Reed's last work was a T'ai Chi accompaniment and Lulu.� He must have been trolling because you can't get anymore irrelevant than that.� Bowie on the other hand released a good album this year.

You kinda nailed the fact that Bowie writes pop songs but There's nothing challenging about Bowie. If you think Berlin. Is forgettable you either have never heard it, or are not that smart. It's a record that fucks me up. Its a dark complex record about child abuse, messily ending relationships and serious heartache. But yeah whatever 'Lets Dance!' Just because it was more popular on the charts doesn't mean it's better. The fact you call 'Coney Island' adult schlock and mention songs like 'heroes' and 'last dance' without a hint of irony tells me your record collection is probably really really boring.

[close]

You're right, Lou Reed is challenging.  In the worst way possible. "Let me bore you to death, with my NY cool".

He coasted on baby boomer nostalgia, in the same way all those 60's bands did. He's the alternative Eric Clapton.

Again I repeat, T'ai Chi, and Lulu.

« Reply #584 on: December 30, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
Neither Bowie nor Lou Reed were the greatest ever, though they both had some amazing songs. Both of them produced a lot of garbage too, and both of them are hip names to throw out there so you can pretend like you have good taste in music. Comparing Bowie to Neil Young is a joke, and I don't even really like Neil Young, but I respect him.

Yeah, because Bowie is way better. 

Neil Young, a guy in a flannel singing his "feelings".  He's a good guitar player though.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #585 on: December 30, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
This thread has taken so many bogus turns.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #586 on: December 30, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, because Bowie is way better.�

Neil Young, a guy in a flannel singing his "feelings".� He's a good guitar player though.

Do you really want to get into insulting the clothing these guys wear?
I'll take Neil Young singing about "his feelings" and about politics and social issues over David Bowie singing about nothing any day. Please don't tell me Ziggy Stardust the rockstar fighting spiders from mars is a song about anything.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

dillanharp

« Reply #587 on: December 30, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
David Bowie and Neil Young are so different that I don't even know what you're arguing about.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #588 on: December 30, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
so grant taylors neil young and dylan reider is bowie? whos lou reed?

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #589 on: December 30, 2013, 11:45:49 AM »
wait no dylan is lou reed. alex olson is bowie.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #590 on: December 30, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Yeah making albums with Metallica is a little weak but how the fuck you gonna make fun of Tai chi?

Plus. You were really reaching there with the Clapton comment, that whole sentence made no sense. Making Metal Machine Music at te height of his commercial success, yeah, really going for nostalgia there.

« Reply #591 on: December 30, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, because Bowie is way better.�

Neil Young, a guy in a flannel singing his "feelings".� He's a good guitar player though.
[close]

Do you really want to get into insulting the clothing these guys wear?
I'll take Neil Young singing about "his feelings" and about politics and social issues over David Bowie singing about nothing any day. Please don't tell me Ziggy Stardust the rockstar fighting spiders from mars is a song about anything.

Stay pleb.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #592 on: December 30, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
what about that sixto rodriguez nigga nigga came back to life

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #593 on: December 30, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
To all you saying Dylan doesn't fit Anti-hero's image, what about Andrew Allen? He's just as "hip" and "fashion-oriented", especially these days.

self-loathing gnarcissist

• Rep: -92
« Reply #594 on: December 30, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
To all you saying Dylan doesn't fit Anti-hero's image, what about Andrew Allen? He's just as "hip" and "fashion-oriented", especially these days.

Everytime I see him skating it's mostly some dickie-ish chinos and a flannel or a t shirt. Plus he's not a huge douche so there's that

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #595 on: December 30, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Everytime I see him skating it's mostly some dickie-ish chinos and a flannel or a t shirt. Plus he's not a huge douche so there's that

he's not in the same realm as Dylan in terms of fashion, he's more in the Supreme "fashion" camp: highwater dickies, blank t's or hip buttonups, asymmetrical hip haircut. He's just as hip as all those other Supreme dudes 

self-loathing gnarcissist

• Rep: -92
« Reply #596 on: December 30, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

he's not in the same realm as Dylan in terms of fashion, he's more in the Supreme "fashion" camp: highwater dickies, blank t's or hip buttonups, asymmetrical hip haircut. He's just as hip as all those other Supreme dudes? 

Yeah ok I see what you're saying. It just seems like Dylan doesn't have the AH mindset. But then again maybe that mindset is just a mirage. Idk.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #597 on: December 30, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
Who even cares?

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #598 on: December 31, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
how good is this song

but like actually tho
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

« Reply #599 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:05 AM »
how good is this song

but like actually tho

Demo version is great.