Author Topic: vegetarian skaters  (Read 8056 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1529
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: vegetarian skaters
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ok, after a lot of years with conscious problems because I ate meat now Im a vegetarian, so now I need skate shoes with non animal material, and please dont tell me canvas, because that not an option, I cant skate with some shoes that will be fuckin wasted after just two sessions, maybe waxed canvas is an option.
[close]

Have you heard about the Vegan Ripped Laces?

Ha, not really but over at [ http://veganskateblog.com ] use to make entries on new shoes that are vegan and sometimes they even post reviews.

[close]

no, I had not heard it before, really appreciated, thanks man!

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Rowley, Jen O'Brien, and Cara Beth Burnside are all vegans. 
Forrest Kirby, Brain Anderson, and Brian Sumner are all vegetarians. 
J. Lee and Mike V. were both vegetarians for a time.
[close]
Pretty sure Rowley hasn't been vegan for awhile.
[close]

From what I understand Rowley never really was since he now says he was a hunter the whole time.
[close]

i was gonna say.  is that true?  i love Rowley's skating but think killing a mountain lion is fucking lame period
[close]

and eating hamburgers isn't?

killing an endangered species for sport is more lame, yes, than eating a non-endangered animal, for food
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
I prefer my food to have parents.

But seriously, I really love deep friend eringi mushrooms (in sunflower oil......is that still vegan?)
I'm not really the kind of person to pay attention to what they eat because I know that what I eat is healthy enough for me. But seriously, if I were to be leading a vegetarian diet, the only thing I would be removing is fish, crustaceans, and molluscs. And since I'm asian I eat rice, and thats where the vegan moral conflict kicks in. Pesticides used....etc.

Anyways,

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »
Why would a vegan care about pesticides? With the amount of vegetables you need to eat, there's really no way all of it is going to be eco-friendly unless you live in a rural area.

codeine

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
Don't forget to add Brandon Westgate to the list.

Moses Itkonen (most the readers on slap I would hope would have come across this name at least once!)

Laban Pheidias / Ted Newsome (someone mentioned the american misfits gang)

Sean Sheffey

Vern Laird / Sergei from Philly

There's more, those are the only ones I could remember off the top of my head.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »
Deerman of the Darkwoods is vegan

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Rowley, Jen O'Brien, and Cara Beth Burnside are all vegans. 
Forrest Kirby, Brain Anderson, and Brian Sumner are all vegetarians. 
J. Lee and Mike V. were both vegetarians for a time.
[close]
Pretty sure Rowley hasn't been vegan for awhile.
[close]

From what I understand Rowley never really was since he now says he was a hunter the whole time.
[close]

i was gonna say.  is that true?  i love Rowley's skating but think killing a mountain lion is fucking lame period
[close]

and eating hamburgers isn't?
[close]

killing an endangered species for sport is more lame, yes, than eating a non-endangered animal, for food

mountain lions are endangered??? shitt

johnnymousedoom

• Rep: -21
  • skateBOARd
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »
Ed is vegan, Spanky is vegetarian. im vegan :-\
i am vegan too, cool
I skateboard, fuck da poleeeeece

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »
there is something I cant really understand, how can Brandon Westgate be a vegetarian and his signature shoe be made from suede?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 07:20:46 AM »
because not all vego/ vegans are against leather, that's probably why.
synthetics are not great for the environment (neither is leather in most cases) and a lot of time leather is a bi-product of the meat industry (unlike fur for example).
i generally don't wear leather but i could see how buying a leather jacket/ leather boots and using it for 10 years would be better than going through a synthetic one every 2. i have really been getting into a company called novacas lately although their prody is certainly NOT cheap and they don't have any skate shoes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:24:02 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 07:27:53 AM »
PJ Ladd Is/was a Vegetarian
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Greg Road

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 07:31:02 AM »
Ed's fat as shit now. Too much pasta and bread.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 790
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »

more to love  :-*
love you,tempster

nothing's been the since same

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »

you can be vegetarian / vegan and still eat processed garbage full of saturated fat, sugar & salt.

ed still rules though

hydrant hopper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »

That is rad.  As far as shoes go, I would say vegetarians are much less strict when it comes to animal products then vegans.  Seeing as that shoes last for months, unlike a hamburger that is consumed in one meal, it is somewhat acceptable to wear suede shoes, especially since there are limited, appealing options otherwise.

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 07:16:57 PM »
correction, I dont care about vegatarian skaters, because they are also selfish persons, what I relly meant was VEGAN!

fuck killin animals and causin fo much pain to miserable creatures.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hydrant hopper

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »
correction, I dont care about vegatarian skaters, because they are also selfish persons, what I relly meant was VEGAN!

fuck killin animals and causin fo much pain to miserable creatures.

So you are one of those people...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 11:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is rad.  As far as shoes go, I would say vegetarians are much less strict when it comes to animal products then vegans.  Seeing as that shoes last for months, unlike a hamburger that is consumed in one meal, it is somewhat acceptable to wear suede shoes, especially since there are limited, appealing options otherwise.

see my other post. leather is a bi-product of the meat industry; you either throw all of that skin away or you make use of it.
also, there are plenty of vegans (and vegetarians) that wear leather, i am not one of them, doesn't mean you (or more specifically that other guy) should get up on your high horse about it, especially considering that i highly doubt that any of us came out of the womb vegan. people feel differently about certain issues. #imaginethat
if you go round calling people murderers/ preaching/ acting all holier-than-thou, you actually do far more damage to the cause that you are supposedly fighting for. i.e. you become:
one of those people...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:47:35 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:40 PM »
Pretty sure mcrank is extra vegetarian....

hydrant hopper

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
if you go round calling people murderers/ preaching/ acting all holier-than-thou, you actually do far more damage to the cause that you are supposedly fighting for.

As a fellow vegetarian, I could not agree more.

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »
Expand Quote
if you go round calling people murderers/ preaching/ acting all holier-than-thou, you actually do far more damage to the cause that you are supposedly fighting for.
[close]

As a fellow vegetarian, I could not agree more.

Exactly/\ This is the reason people roll their eyes at me when I say Im vegan. A fact I only divulge if someone asks after seeing me order food. I could give a fuck what other people want to eat. Thats their business.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 12:56:56 AM by vancanman »

Russel Crowe

• Rep: -11
  • Live and die with your stupid ideas
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »
Templeton is vegan, thats all I know of. probably Austyn Gillette, he seems like the kind

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »
I'm vegan, and I skate suede shoes. I don't buy/wear leather outside of skate shoes--they're my one exception. I recognize the hypocrisy, and that my reasons are fundamentally bullshit, but:

- Nothing skates like suede
- Virtually no one makes a vegan suede skate shoe
- I'm super picky about the shoes I skate, so a company would pretty much have to make me a pro model
- Suede lasts a lot longer than most vegan alternatives, and the rest of shoe making is nasty
- Nothing skates like suede.

I've read different things about the "leather as a by-product of the meat industry", and that different cows are slaughtered for leather than for meat. But I'm not 100% on that, so I couldn't speak authoritatively on it.

It's really just trying to make the best of a shitty situation. Nobody's perfect. I don't like consuming leather for skate shoes, I don't like consuming trees for skate decks, I don't like consuming plastic for wheels, etc. Does that mean I'll stop skating? FUCK NO. But it's still a good mental exercise to consider how to reduce your consumption as much as possible within certain parameters. (And to not be preachy about it!)

zombiesoybot

• Rep: 5
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2013, 06:59:01 AM »
I'm vegan, and I skate suede shoes. I don't buy/wear leather outside of skate shoes--they're my one exception. I recognize the hypocrisy, and that my reasons are fundamentally bullshit, but:

- Nothing skates like suede
- Virtually no one makes a vegan suede skate shoe
- I'm super picky about the shoes I skate, so a company would pretty much have to make me a pro model
- Suede lasts a lot longer than most vegan alternatives, and the rest of shoe making is nasty
- Nothing skates like suede.

I've read different things about the "leather as a by-product of the meat industry", and that different cows are slaughtered for leather than for meat. But I'm not 100% on that, so I couldn't speak authoritatively on it.

It's really just trying to make the best of a shitty situation. Nobody's perfect. I don't like consuming leather for skate shoes, I don't like consuming trees for skate decks, I don't like consuming plastic for wheels, etc. Does that mean I'll stop skating? FUCK NO. But it's still a good mental exercise to consider how to reduce your consumption as much as possible within certain parameters. (And to not be preachy about it!)

I've been vegan for 10 years (dropping that because i'm pumped about it.). I used to skate only vegan skate shoes. however i usually just get cheap shoes from shop. you're right about synthetic shoes not lasting long. About 3 years ago i started wearing leather/suede shoes and i wasnt blowing through shoes so fast. Lame but i dont have money to be spending on shoes all the time.

vegan skate blog is a cool site. Kerry is a good guy. I like that its more than just vegan skate shoes, it need to stretch out of that box. Loved in Templeton's interview he rips on people who are not vegan/vegetarian anymore. So good!

also Manny is vegetarian.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you can be vegetarian / vegan and still eat processed garbage full of saturated fat, sugar & salt.

ed still rules though

No pasta if you are vegan , there is eggs in it . And technicly if you are vegan you shouldnt use any animal product at all

If you are vegan its abit diffrent , theres many diffrent kinds of vegeterians , some eat fish , some eat eggs , some eat chicken . Most of these are doing it for health reasons so shoes made of leather or suade shouldnt be a problem

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »
hardly any noodles i know contain egg.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
durum pasta, so easy to come by

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
durum pasta, so easy to come by

Durum is a Cereal , Its durum wheat . So Durum flower is used alot for pasta , doesnt make it egg free

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »
I only eat turkey bacon so I'm still vegetarian. Though canine bacon I would try.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:33:11 AM by Iceman »