Author Topic: Horror Movies  (Read 20812 times)

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 190
Re: Horror Movies
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2023, 01:24:09 PM »
so far this month i watched Alien 3, Land of the Dead, Undead and Seed of Chucky.

not really a lineup to be proud of..

Fakie backsideflip

• Rep: -16
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2023, 10:24:22 PM »
so far this month i watched Alien 3, Land of the Dead, Undead and Seed of Chucky.

Honestly you inspired me to watch seed of chucky tonite lol
Pretty nostalgic movie it’s going to be so much worse than I remember.

Fakie backsideflip

• Rep: -16
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2023, 10:39:37 PM »
Saw x is streamable. If you have a vpn , not a bad idea . scary movie is a great idea or the second one. The lighthouse isn’t necessarily a halloween movie but it fits the vibe . El dia de la bestia is a Spanish movie about a priest trying to stop this anti christ being born and he befriends a metal head who works in a record shop and a tv psychic to help find the location of where it will happen, it feels like a Simon pegg movie made in the 90’s it’s a bit long but pretty good it’s on tubi or YouTube

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2023, 08:52:05 AM »
Infinity Pool and Pearl are two Mia Goth movies that I don't feel like I read much about and would highly recommend to anyone.

The Vanishing is also a top notch recommendation.

The Brood is a great one that feels extra close to the Halloween vibes vs maybe the others above.

Gonna rewatch Halloween III, most hate it cause it's not Mike Myers but I can't help but fuckin love this one each year

The brood is a good call, amazing how many people haven’t seen much cronenburg who would love it.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2023, 09:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Infinity Pool and Pearl are two Mia Goth movies that I don't feel like I read much about and would highly recommend to anyone.

The Brood is a great one that feels extra close to the Halloween vibes vs maybe the others above.

Gonna rewatch Halloween III, most hate it cause it's not Mike Myers but I can't help but fuckin love this one each year
[close]

The brood is a good call, amazing how many people haven’t seen much cronenburg who would love it.

Totally true about Cronenberg. He's not far behind John Carpenter for me.

I'll also recommend Hour of the Wolf if you wanna dive into some old Ingmar Bergman. Loved it and a bit more traditionally creepy vs the wild ride that Persona is

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2023, 03:29:32 PM »
The best month of the year…

@matt_2993  Halloween 3 I’ll always have a soft spot… always thought the idea was cool. The ambiguous ending….App they were gonna do a different story every Halloween film going forward.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2023, 05:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Totally true about Cronenberg. He's not far behind John Carpenter for me.

I'll also recommend Hour of the Wolf if you wanna dive into some old Ingmar Bergman. Loved it and a bit more traditionally creepy vs the wild ride that Persona is

I’ll check that out, haven’t seen it.

Carpenter is maybe my favorite, but if anyone hasn’t seen it, the anthology “masters of horror” has one hour shorts by some great directors including carpenter (his stars Norman redus of walking dead and is insane and good).  It’s such a fun collection, and if you like one you can always see what else that director did. Available on tubi free I believe.

The series continued under another name after two seasons “fear itself” and those are on YouTube.

Don’t think you could make it through all that before Halloween.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #247 on: October 25, 2023, 06:52:01 PM »
Wasn’t Carpenter’s entry “Pro-Life”? I don’t remember much about it except thinking it was tonally very strange. Like, there was a semi realistic abortion discussion (that maybe favored or at least gave serious consideration to the pro-life side?) and then there was a demonic monster of some sort?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:52:35 AM by Willie »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2023, 07:03:24 PM »
Wasn’t Carpenter’s entry “Pro-Life”? I don’t remember much about it except thinking it was tonally very strange. Like, there was a semi realistic abortion discussion (that maybe favored or at least the pro-life side?) and then there was a demonic monster of some sort?

I forgot about that one, with Ron Perlman maybe? Yeah not that good, I was talking about “cigarette burns” from the first season about a snuff film.

Sounds weird to say, but I liked the snuff film one not the abortion clinic one.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2023, 05:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Love the Brood. Anyone ever get into the Prince of Darkness?

disclosed

« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2023, 12:17:15 PM »

add to that Alien Resurrection, Predator, Nightmare on Elm Street 5, and The Night Flyer

gotta say a actually really enjoyed The Night Flyer. had never heard of it, found the dvd in a thrift store a year ago and was dreading to watch it since it looked so bad.

i think i'm saving Halloween and Hell Night for actual halloween.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Love the Brood. Anyone ever get into the Prince of Darkness?

prince of darkness is the one where the blood runs to the seeling of a church or somethung in one scene right? gotta be honest, i dont remember much as i saw it like 15 years ago. but that scene made me realize how much i love oldschool practical effects.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2023, 07:14:27 PM »
Check out night of the Demons for some fun practical effects as well.

Also dead and buried 1983 is pretty sweet, Dan obannon wrote it, writer of alien.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1501
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #252 on: October 28, 2023, 07:07:54 AM »
I’m watching Ouija Witch with Sean Young from Blade Runner fame so you don’t have to.

It’s as good as some of the first season Creepshow segments on Shudder. Like a Hallmark Christmas movie but for Halloween horror.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 136
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2023, 07:20:12 AM »
I watched Speak No Evil last night and I guess you could say it’s not a feel good movie lol. It’s really hard to suspend disbelief when watching it, though.

Bill Salt

« Reply #254 on: November 01, 2023, 03:13:28 AM »
There are no recent good horror flicks.Let's face it.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2023, 08:13:21 AM »
There are but you'll never find them with that kind of outlook. You just have to watch them.

I enjoyed some scenes from It Lives Inside and the story and acting was good.

Five Nights at Freddy's was good if you're a tween or want horror lite for your kids. Otherwise, pass on it.

edit: Last Voyage of the Demeter was intense especially since I was in the navy so it was more relatable for me. Very good cast.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:27:20 AM by layzieyez »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2023, 08:45:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There are but you'll never find them with that kind of outlook. You just have to watch them.

I enjoyed some scenes from It Lives Inside and the story and acting was good.

Five Nights at Freddy's was good if you're a tween or want horror lite for your kids. Otherwise, pass on it.

edit: Last Voyage of the Demeter was intense especially since I was in the navy so it was more relatable for me. Very good cast.
Think it's also just a tuf genre for some people. If you've already seen a bunch of horror movies and it's not really the kind of thing that scares you it can all feel a bit samey.

Watched final destination 1 & 2 recently they're still pretty ok. Not scary or anything but interesting concept and really good effects (mostly). Feel like that's a franchise they could do a new one for

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2023, 09:22:37 AM »
I'm in total agreement.

It gets harder to get scared so I try to at least watch them in complete darkness and punch up the surround. I just let my belief get suspended and do my best to get sucked into the world on the screen instead of trying to poke holes in everything. I leave my critiques for later.

I figure dudes putting out independent horror nowadays are as big a fan of this genre (or bigger) as I am so why deprive myself of the experience a fellow horror addict is putting out.

I want to get scared not be that dude that goes to a Halloween Haunted House to be like "y'all ain't scary."

I really hope someone does more Final Destination movies since I'm a fan of the entire series even the cornier ones. It's just good fun.

disclosed

« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2023, 11:35:44 AM »
i never felt like getting scared was ever a must for horror movies. i havnt been scared of a movie since i watched "It" when i was like 7 and already scared of clowns. to me horror movies where about unique stories, locations, sets, atmospheres, special effects, camera work. but also sometimes just mindless fun and gore. they allways facinited me more than other movies from a very young age.

there is indeed mostly crap being released these days. especially anything mainstream.

recent film i saw and liked was A New Religion. came out last year, saw it at a festival a fiew weeks ago.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2023, 06:11:21 AM »
I was always afraid of the dark and had an overactive imagination. My first horror movie memory is watching The Exorcist behind a pillow terrified out of my mind at the age of six. I've been chasing that high forever.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2023, 04:16:59 AM »

It's on Shudder, so kind of a hidden gem, but When Evil Lurks fucking ripped.  Some sequences where really brutal, but served the story..

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 84
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »
Watched Event Horizon for the first time last night. Haven't felt that on-edge watching anything in a very long time.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1149
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2023, 09:43:57 PM »
Just watched the version of "The Mummy" with Tom Cruise, it sucks pretty bad.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #263 on: November 06, 2023, 03:23:44 AM »
I watched Talk to Me recently which I really dug. Highly recommend a look.

It got me thinking that not watching many horror films growing up has left me with a bit of a gap in pop culture knowledge. I saw that The Exorcist was playing at our small local cinema on Halloween so went along. Pretty rad. I dug the music, makeup and dialogue the girl would yell whilst possessed

I've decided that I'm going to try and catch up on some other classics and have since also watched Halloween and the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Holy shit, TCM was fucking nuts. One of, if not the most intense films I've ever seen of any genre.

I'm thinking about watching Hellraiser next but am open to suggestions if anyone has any.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

disclosed

« Reply #264 on: November 06, 2023, 11:26:07 AM »
last week i watched Halloween, Hell Night, House of Blood (aka Chain Reaction), Army Of Darkness and Blood Sucking Freaks.

Hell Night i remembered to be a halloween flick, but it turned out it was just a costume party. still a cool movie.

House of Blood i had no idea what i was getting into. while the acting is horrible it's much more enjoyable than like Wrong Turn or The Hills Have Eyes wich kinda follow similiar stories, tho this one takes it to some next level absurd.
the practical effects are masterfully done. makes me wanna check some more Olaf Ittenbach movies. my friend recomemded me Premutos. but i couln't find it with subtitles. i can understands a little german, so maybe i'll  give it a shot without.

Bloodsucking Freaks is a notorious movie. hadn't seen it yet but known about it for ages cause of the story the director send the unrated version to the cinemas instead of the rated version that was heavily cut. allways tought it to be a funny story,
now the movie is honestly not worth a watch if you ask me. definitly not for more casual watchers.
the mediocre acting and cheap outdated special effects i dont mind, but holy fuck the sound design in this movie is maybe the worst i've ever heard.

I watched Talk to Me recently which I really dug. Highly recommend a look.

It got me thinking that not watching many horror films growing up has left me with a bit of a gap in pop culture knowledge. I saw that The Exorcist was playing at our small local cinema on Halloween so went along. Pretty rad. I dug the music, makeup and dialogue the girl would yell whilst possessed

I've decided that I'm going to try and catch up on some other classics and have since also watched Halloween and the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Holy shit, TCM was fucking nuts. One of, if not the most intense films I've ever seen of any genre.

I'm thinking about watching Hellraiser next but am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is sick. definitly one of the best of the best. wanna rewatch it now.
for suggestions just don't skip The Thing. but definitly watch the first 2 hellraisers to

i have the opposite. i watched so many horror as a kid. that now as a grown up i get confused when people dont know what im talking about cause i just assume everyone watched those movies.

Watched Event Horizon for the first time last night. Haven't felt that on-edge watching anything in a very long time.
great one! love the setting. those flasing scenes towards the end i'll never forget.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #265 on: November 06, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »
The best month of the year

ROTLD and the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead are my go-to "comfort" horror movies.
Maybe add TCM 2 and The Shining.

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 2
« Reply #266 on: November 06, 2023, 08:23:29 PM »
1974 Texas Chainsaw really has a heavy vibe to it. The cinematography conveys a creepy atmosphere. Are there any other similar horror films you’d recommend that has a similar vibe?
I loved TCM 2, although it is much more fun and not as scary as it’s predecessor. Any time that character would use the fork to itch his scalp, sure would make me flinch a bit

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2023, 09:15:04 PM »
1974 Texas Chainsaw really has a heavy vibe to it. The cinematography conveys a creepy atmosphere. Are there any other similar horror films you’d recommend that has a similar vibe?
I loved TCM 2, although it is much more fun and not as scary as it’s predecessor. Any time that character would use the fork to itch his scalp, sure would make me flinch a bit
Haven't watched it in forever but an English movie called mum and dad might kinda have that same Texas chainsaw feeling.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2023, 03:21:12 AM »

I remember seeing it at the dollar cinema late 90s? Ish as a kid… urban legend around here in Texas was it was based on true events. But Apparently it’s based on Ed Gein…

Still gives me the creeps all these years later… same with the original Exorcist.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2023, 09:50:44 AM »
Agree on watching The Thing. If you can, watch the remastered version because somehow the additional clarity given to the gnarliest scenes special effects look even better instead of dated. It had me shook all over again.

One of my fun favorites that doesn’t get mentioned enough is Idle Hands.

Also, I am partial to the first two The Omen movies.