Author Topic: Why do you film your skating?  (Read 4972 times)

Flyin Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Why do you film your skating?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:10 AM »
Because I edit the news for a living and sometimes I would rather work on something fun that interests me and ins't boring or depressing

I remember Gator... That dude killed...

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 03:42:06 AM »
When I was at an even passable level of skating to warrant filming (13-15 years ago), no one I knew or skated with owned a video camera. Even the the idea of filming carried a certain cachet; if you weren't pro, or on flow, or friends with a legit "filmer" why/how in the fuck would you film?  I guess there were always "sponsor me" tapes, but even those seemed a rarer beast.

All I have to document that time in my life are some grainy, out-of-focus, B&W prints of me floating 180s off the BAM ledges my brother took because I forced him to.  Don't even know where the negs are.

Access to equipment/media/technology is a huge difference between now and then, and mostly I think that's great.  Sure it means that I'm subjected to the deluge of average/shitty footage that at times overwhelms the solid content, but if filming themselves gets the kids stoked and inspired, then more power to them.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »
I film for the post you skating-thread.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
I want to show my future kids why it hurts to get up every morning.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
obviously so that J Cas will eventually put me on the team.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:33 AM »
It motivates you to commit to something new. Nothing worse than walking away defeated after trying to get a clip.

Otherwise, it's fun to have something to look back on.

Yu Dum

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
So that I can look back on my life when I'm older and unable to walk.

Explosive Bolts

• Rep: 18
  • Politicin, Networkin
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
I used to set up a point and shoot camera on a parking block and practice flat ground on video. It helped me fix some of my Pudwill-esque arm flailing and mob footing.

Since then I've stopped "filming", and I fucking suck.
Wipe me down

police state

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »
I'm sitting on 6 seconds of footy and its all killer
it's okay to hate but you need to apply all hate evenly and fairly.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote
with the exception of music, skateboarding is the only "activity/hobby/pastime" where people not even close to a professional level are constantly recording and publishing.

[close]
Your opening statement is redundant. Everybody is filming and broadcasting themselves now, baking, woodworking, mountain biking, live action role play, all kinds of shit. I've even recorded myself having sex and most of that is not considered to be "close to a professional level".
Interesting point, but anyway, how is it redundant?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
with the exception of music, skateboarding is the only "activity/hobby/pastime" where people not even close to a professional level are constantly recording and publishing.

[close]
Your opening statement is redundant. Everybody is filming and broadcasting themselves now, baking, woodworking, mountain biking, live action role play, all kinds of shit. I've even recorded myself having sex and most of that is not considered to be "close to a professional level".
[close]

Exactly, it's not redundant, it's just plain wrong.   

The list is endless.  Truly endless. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

frenchtoast

• Rep: -55
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
cause sometimes you wanna see what youve done 1000 times and see what it looks like

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Redundant: not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous
Stating that other than musicians, skaters are the only group of hobbiests that record their efforts is untrue, therefor superfluous and thus redundant to the purpose of asking why we do it. It may not be the best application of the term but it is still accurate.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:51 AM »
I agree that filming is enjoyable to look at over the years and it is a piece of art that can be displayed long past our years here, but one must be cautious not to hate skateboarding because of filming too.   Its crazy to me that I have been filming for almost 20 years and it is so cool to see some of the things that I did in my past and have the emotions resurface all these years later just by watching.  I took a hiatus from filming myself and spent the majority of the last 8 years filming others until this year: now I'm in my mid thirties and what began as filming for the sole fun of documentation has yielded me my footage ever....kind of funny.   

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »
first: thanks for all the responses, there are a lot of common themes and it got me amped to film a few things as i honestly have no idea what i look like on a skateboard.

second:i stayed off the redundant comment becasue i don't think slap is a good place for a semantics argument but seriously:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Stating that other than musicians, skaters are the only group of hobbiests that record their efforts is untrue, therefor superfluous and thus redundant to the purpose of asking why we do it. It may not be the best application of the term but it is still accurate.

In no way is it accurate.  Not even close.  Superfluous means extra, or unneeded. Think of superfluous  as the fluff in a statement that used to soften the blow of its meaning. Redundant usually implies multiple statements all saying the same thing. Neither word has any implication on a statement's veracity, merely its articulation.  i'll gladly argue the merits of my proposition, but I'm not going to allow you to go around misusing 8th grade vocab words. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
I just want something to show people when I'm older, like this is what I used to do... sayin?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »
I'm sitting on 6 seconds of footy and its all killer
more than tim O'connor.

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -111
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »
Gotta keep those boxes coming... ye feel me dog?

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
first: thanks for all the responses, there are a lot of common themes and it got me amped to film a few things as i honestly have no idea what i look like on a skateboard.

second:i stayed off the redundant comment becasue i don't think slap is a good place for a semantics argument but seriously:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

In no way is it accurate.  Not even close.  Superfluous means extra, or unneeded. Think of superfluous  as the fluff in a statement that used to soften the blow of its meaning. Redundant usually implies multiple statements all saying the same thing. Neither word has any implication on a statement's veracity, merely its articulation.  i'll gladly argue the merits of my proposition, but I'm not going to allow you to go around misusing 8th grade vocab words. 

Thanks!  I refrained from the vocabulary lesson too, but I am stoked to see that somebody didn't.  Great thread by the way.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
I always thought it was easier to have someone else do it.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Well, that's just like, your opinion man

and your opinion is wrong. You actually argued against yourself. Superfluous, not needed, inaccurate, not true, false, misguided, redundant, check the higher power on the subject, The Oxford English Dictionary. When you state that redundant "usually implies" ect your'e acknowledging that it not always implying such. Don't defend the merits of your proposition by attacking my selection of words to deflect that you were wrong. If you want to avoid semantics then don't get into them. If I was wrong then I would just admit it, not try to bandwagon and defend it. Everyone makes mistakes. In the interests of placating you here you go, your justification for asking why is wrong, inaccurate, uninformed.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

and your opinion is wrong. You actually argued against yourself. Superfluous, not needed, inaccurate, not true, false, misguided, redundant, check the higher power on the subject, The Oxford English Dictionary. When you state that redundant "usually implies" ect your'e acknowledging that it not always implying such. Don't defend the merits of your proposition by attacking my selection of words to deflect that you were wrong. If you want to avoid semantics then don't get into them. If I was wrong then I would just admit it, not try to bandwagon and defend it. Everyone makes mistakes. In the interests of placating you here you go, your justification for asking why is wrong, inaccurate, uninformed.
Redundant means unnecessarily repetitive. What it means is when something said is repeated without necessity. That last sentence I wrote is an example of redundant, though its slightly tainted now that it serves that purpose. But yeah, redundant means unnecessarily repetitive. If a business is eliminating redundancies that means they are eliminating things/people that are unnecessary because someone or something else either already does or can do it.
Also, M-w.com agrees with me:
re?dun?dant adjective \ri-ˈdən-dənt\
: repeating something else and therefore unnecessary

?used to describe part of a machine, system, etc., that has the same function as another part and that exists so that the entire machine, system, etc., will not fail if the main part fails

: dismissed from a job because you are no longer needed

Full Definition of REDUNDANT

a :  exceeding what is necessary or normal :  superfluous
b :  characterized by or containing an excess; specifically :  using more words than necessary
c :  characterized by similarity or repetition <a group of particularly redundant brick buildings>
d chiefly British :  no longer needed for a job and hence laid off
:  profuse, lavish
:  serving as a duplicate for preventing failure of an entire system (as a spacecraft) upon failure of a single component
? re?dun?dant?ly adverb
source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redundant

Don't argue this. You misused the word, I was just poking a little fun, its not worth arguing over, just take the lesson.

Endless Toedrag

• Rep: -13
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »
because im narcissistic enough to derive pleasure from watching an hour long worth of footage of myself doing slappies on everything i ever see.
There's a code that ya better know.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Redundant means unnecessarily repetitive. What it means is when something said is repeated without necessity. That last sentence I wrote is an example of redundant, though its slightly tainted now that it serves that purpose. But yeah, redundant means unnecessarily repetitive. If a business is eliminating redundancies that means they are eliminating things/people that are unnecessary because someone or something else either already does or can do it.
Expand Quote

?used to describe part of a machine, system, etc., that has the same function as another part and that exists so that the entire machine, system, etc., will not fail if the main part fails

b :  characterized by or containing an excess; specifically :  using more words than necessary
c :  characterized by similarity or repetition <a group of particularly redundant brick buildings>
:  serving as a duplicate for preventing failure of an entire system (as a spacecraft) upon failure of a single component
? re?dun?dant?ly adverb
[close]

Don't argue this. You misused the word, I was just poking a little fun, its not worth arguing over, just take the lesson.
If I were wrong I would just take the lesson, but as I said if you consult the higher power The Oxford English Dictionary it will tell you that the definition of redundant is not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous. I'm sure that you're dictionary of choice will validate your stance but the Oxford definition will do the same for me. The statement does not have to be repeated to be serve no purpose or to be superfluous, it is inaccurate and of zero value therefor redundant.
redundant
not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous:
an appropriate use for a redundant church
many of the old skills had become redundant
British no longer in employment because there is no more work available:
eight permanent staff were made redundant
Engineering (of a component) not strictly necessary to functioning but included in case of failure in another component:
the modules are linked using a redundant fibre-optic cable

Don't worry I'm not taking you seriously Gipper.

BuddyPal

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
just the way my ass looks in VX, with the right lighting and right exposure, it would be a crime not to film

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote

? re?dun?dant?ly adverb
[close]

[close]
If I were wrong I would just take the lesson, but as I said if you consult the higher power The Oxford English Dictionary it will tell you that the definition of redundant is not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous. I'm sure that you're dictionary of choice will validate your stance but the Oxford definition will do the same for me. The statement does not have to be repeated to be serve no purpose or to be superfluous, it is inaccurate and of zero value therefor redundant.
redundant
not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous:
an appropriate use for a redundant church
many of the old skills had become redundant
British no longer in employment because there is no more work available:
eight permanent staff were made redundant
Engineering (of a component) not strictly necessary to functioning but included in case of failure in another component:
the modules are linked using a redundant fibre-optic cable

Don't worry I'm not taking you seriously Gipper.
You are still reading it wrong, I agree with Oxford's definition, I just think you are reading it incorrectly. I just gave you another definition that is more clear. Original I went there because I thought they had an english language learner's definition in there that would make it crystal clear.
Have you noticed anybody taking your side? Its because you are wrong. You are not the only poster on slap who knows what redundant means, ironically, you may be the only one who does not.

dask8d00d

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »
damn i thought this would be a cool thread 2 pages in yet i come in here and niggas like 9 posts deep debating on word definitions

police state

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
now thats a fucking chair!
it's okay to hate but you need to apply all hate evenly and fairly.

goldenbullcow

• Rep: -406
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Because I'm a eagle maniac....

..... Jk.  I'm a giants fan.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • this is joab
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
i also do it so that i have something to watch while bangin my chick.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.