Author Topic: Cleaning Hats  (Read 4292 times)

cookieboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Cleaning Hats
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
Just wondering if some slap pals have any advice on cleaning/ maintaining hats.

Explosive Bolts

• Rep: 18
  • Politicin, Networkin
Re: Cleaning Hats
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:31:37 PM »

my personal fav cleaning hat.
Wipe me down

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
the dishwasher.
put it over a bowl to keep the shape and wash it with low temperature. use the top shelf of the dishwasher and do a run hats only, no dishes.
use the regular cleaning stuff you use for dishes.
i've been doing it for years.
if you don't trust me try any old cap you won't wear anymore first.
works perfect.

cookieboy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
the dishwasher.
put it over a bowl to keep the shape and wash it with low temperature. use the top shelf of the dishwasher and do a run hats only, no dishes.
use the regular cleaning stuff you use for dishes.
i've been doing it for years.
if you don't trust me try any old cap you won't wear anymore first.
works perfect.

Thanks for the advice! I'd do this but the only thing is that I have no dishwasher in the apartment that I live in currently. Any recommendations for washing it by hand? I had this slap hat that is super dirty and almost all brown haha.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
its kinda pricey but i have this jason markk shoe cleaner that you use for premium style shoes.  I use em on my jordans and other kicks i just rock but the cleaner works wonders on pretty much anything. I believe its like 14 dollars for it and you only need a drop.  I restored so many hats that i was stoked on but sweated out so could no longer wear until i used this.

the site says 16 but if you hit a retailer they usually drop the price
http://jasonmarkk.com/collections/products/products/3691-4-oz-premium-kit-1

Flat_Spot

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
was just thinking about this today, any advice for cord hats? in the past on other cord hats ive tried scrubbing or brushing but it frays the corduroy, if that makes sense

been rocking this for a few months and its got some major sweat stains, still my favorite hat though

silkyjohnson

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »
I usually use shampoo mixed with warm water and scrub the sweat stains with a toothbrush and so the bill doesn't get all crooked i use clothes line pins to keep the shape straight

foureyedjim

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »
Does the detergent matter?  None of my hats ever needed cleaning but they do sell these plastic things that keep the shape of your hat through the wash

Maybe you can use that and soak them in lukewarm water mixed with mild detergent then rinse them off

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
Does the detergent matter?  None of my hats ever needed cleaning but they do sell these plastic things that keep the shape of your hat through the wash

Maybe you can use that and soak them in lukewarm water mixed with mild detergent then rinse them off

I tried that but your hat ends up getting soggy and loses it shape still regardless of the holder

foureyedjim

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I tried that but your hat ends up getting soggy and loses it shape still regardless of the holder

thanks for the heads up, I actually found a hat that fits my giant head.

dillanharp

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »

my personal fav cleaning hat.

Some times, it's better to say nothing at all.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 853
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
take the hat in the shower with you, lather it up with shampoo or body wash ( whichever works for you).  if it has a snap, snap it to the inside of the curtain rod to drip/ air dry. if its a strap or fitted hang it from either the shower head or water spout. works like a charm

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »
Great thread, I've been struggling with this issue lately. I gotta try that dishwasher thing. I haven't been using some of my favorite hats when skating cause I don't wanna ruin them. Does this work on visible yellowish sweat stains on light colored hats?

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »
I usually just use a little bit of warm water and dish soap with a rag for light cleanings. But if it gets too real, or it's a light colored hat, I usually just say goodbye. I used to save hats til they were absolutely disgusting. Now I let em go when they are beyond repair

cookieboy

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »
its kinda pricey but i have this jason markk shoe cleaner that you use for premium style shoes.� I use em on my jordans and other kicks i just rock but the cleaner works wonders on pretty much anything. I believe its like 14 dollars for it and you only need a drop.� I restored so many hats that i was stoked on but sweated out so could no longer wear until i used this.

I'm considering buying the jason markk shoe cleaner. So what's the whole process if you don't mind me asking. Do you soak the hat �in luke warm water then add the cleaner and scrub the hat? I'm glad a lot of people have been responding, I didn't expect that many people were going to give such great advice.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Expand Quote
its kinda pricey but i have this jason markk shoe cleaner that you use for premium style shoes.� I use em on my jordans and other kicks i just rock but the cleaner works wonders on pretty much anything. I believe its like 14 dollars for it and you only need a drop.� I restored so many hats that i was stoked on but sweated out so could no longer wear until i used this.

[close]

I'm considering buying the jason markk shoe cleaner. So what's the whole process if you don't mind me asking. Do you soak the hat �in luke warm water then add the cleaner and scrub the hat? I'm glad a lot of people have been responding, I didn't expect that many people were going to give such great advice.

what you do is you get a small bowl of water and a toothbrush (the included brush may be too rough) and you put a couple of drops of the solution in the bowl and you dip your toothbrush in then squirt a couple of drops on the toothbrush and you go over the soiled spots and brush the dirt then once you get that off get a towel and wipe dry away of the direction of the hat then let dry

cookieboy

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

what you do is you get a small bowl of water and a toothbrush (the included brush may be too rough) and you put a couple of drops of the solution in the bowl and you dip your toothbrush in then squirt a couple of drops on the toothbrush and you go over the soiled spots and brush the dirt then once you get that off get a towel and wipe dry away of the direction of the hat then let dry

Awesome! I'm going to give this a shot. I'll try to scope out where I can get just the solution itself then. I'll try to order it sometime this week and by next week I'll post some results!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
Great thread, I've been struggling with this issue lately. I gotta try that dishwasher thing. I haven't been using some of my favorite hats when skating cause I don't wanna ruin them. Does this work on visible yellowish sweat stains on light colored hats?
so far it worked on any hat (cord, cotton, nylon...) and the hats always turned out to look brand new. as i said always pull them over something to keep the shape, i use a sieve just like this:

keep it on the bowl/sieve when drying.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »
Little bit of laundry detergent - dab it on lightly - rub it out with a rag dipped in luke warm water. Always works.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
was just thinking about this today, any advice for cord hats? in the past on other cord hats ive tried scrubbing or brushing but it frays the corduroy, if that makes sense

been rocking this for a few months and its got some major sweat stains, still my favorite hat though
If you want to get rid of sweat stains and the smell of sweat first you need to rinse or soak it with a diluted mixture of vinegar and warm water then rinse again with water. Then you need a mixture of water and bicarbonate soda to soak and rinse. This will get near anything out.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
If you want to get rid of sweat stains and the smell of sweat first you need to rinse or soak it with a diluted mixture of vinegar and warm water then rinse again with water. Then you need a mixture of water and bicarbonate soda to soak and rinse. This will get near anything out. use the dishwasher.

david_cas_cas

• Rep: -4
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »
I always just hand wash mine in the tub with detergent. Just try to avoid the bill from getting soaked.