Author Topic: Silicon Valley  (Read 7342 times)

paraquat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Silicon Valley
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
The supposedly brilliant kid that they had come over and ends up fucking their whole project up was wearing Lakais.

Where they the Vincent's? If so they looked sick when he was laying on the couch.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I know a lot of people going through a lot of shit because of these toolbags. I really just want an escape from these tech assholes, so its hard to watch. There is humor there, I just think a lot of people living in SF and the Bay Area right now don't want to see anymore silicon valley tools than they need to. My distaste for the show is circumstantial. And yeah, they make fun of them, but in a lighthearted, lovable sort of way.
[close]

Shuuut up. What? they put a Google bus stop in their neighborhood now they can't afford their apartment while working in a coffee shop? Living in the city isn't a right, it's a privilege. If you can't afford it, leave.  There are more affordable options surrounding the city, and they aren't that bad. Trust me, I'd love to live in Los Gatos or Cupertino but I'm not going protest because "it isn't fair."
I don't live in the city. You may have notice by now, I get pissed on other people's behalf regularly. The fact is, they aren't pushing hipsters out, they are pushing poor families out, in the mission, latino families and people of color. The buses are a minor part of the problem, not major, but its a particularly douchey move to send the buses dow 24th street- that's the heart of San Francisco's latino culture. The middle schools in the mission as well as Mission high have virtually dropped their bilingual programs because those families are being pushed out. The idea of living in a city being a privilege, not a right- let's see how well the city runs when literally every person serving the elites is gone. On a basic level, cities can't maintain themselves without a healthy working class. But let them suffocate themselves, the problem I have are the communities that are being destroyed.
Really, I blame Ed Lee aka the Ronald Reagan of San Francisco, for running the town like the goal is to get the biggest ROI, not to maintain the health of the communities which exist that he is supposed to be serving. SF can be a town without such serious problems, but Ed doesn't care. He really just cares about cozying up to tech money.

But that ignores the original issue, which isn't political. Forget about "fair" or not, techies are fucking lame douchebags that are ruining the culture of a once amazing city. That's not even political, they are just shitty human beings. If you go somewhere and its filled with them, that place will be shitty. That's not economic or about being fair. Why do you think people should have to like these douchebags? Why don't you quit bitching that the people you apparently think of as gods are being shit talked?

Oh, and you'd love to live in Cupertino or Los Gatos? It's not mine, but if that is your goal, stop being such a lazy fucking pile and pursue something instead of playing with your fucking guns all day and dreamin' about hitting the lottery. You sound like such a whiny bitch with a ridiculous insecurity issue. So you'd love to be one of them, but have failed to, so you go online to defend these lame douches you worship. Its fucking pathetic.
Seriously, you are mad at me for thinking that unsound speculation is destroying communities, because you wish you were riding that bubble? ha, fucking loser.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 05:28:16 PM »
Fuck a community, get money bitch.

Why do you think people should have to like these douchebags?

Seriously though, it's because they make a lot of money. It's not even so much 'liking' them but respecting the fact that their large paychecks essentially make them superior beings in a society in which the only value is profit.

This all makes a lot more sense when you consider that Nallid's (and many other people's) favourite way of challenging someone's opinion on something is by asking them what they do for a living.

Back on topic though, I do find this show kind of funny, even if it is based on tired stereotypes. I hope that they managed to get a few more scenes with the actor playing Peter Gregory before he croaked, because he's been the best part of the series so far.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
nallid is a fat sack of shit with a wife who can't speak english. don't be so mean to him.

dillanharp

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »
Beer Keg, YOU WORK A JOB THEY GIVE FELONS AND SPECIAL NEEDS TEENS... That's really all I need to say.

I'm on break being a lazy sack of shit and cleaning my guns.  Actually I'm on a break between night classes to say fuck you Gip, for a teacher, your reading comprehension is atrocious.  I give a shit about tech workers?! I never one word, you can check, it's not that far down, just a few posts. The show is funny. These people are awkward as fuck and it's funny. That's all.  I don't think you've seen the show, because there's nothing to idolize. 

You assume so much, but you know nothing. So fuck you.  Forgive me for wanting to raise my kid in a city with zero crime and amazing schools, I'm a loser.  And I thought we were becoming pals.

As far as ruining the mission, hispanic families leaving is the only reason your ass is comfortable going to Delirium after dark. 

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:52 PM »
The more episodes I see, the less I like Richard but love everyone else.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

KOOL MIKE LOVE

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »
They renewed it for a second season. :D

that joke had to be the worst the show has put out so far.

pretty good show, i am liking it , they haven't gone too cheesy like most american shows i see.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
Beer Keg, YOU WORK A JOB THEY GIVE FELONS AND SPECIAL NEEDS TEENS... That's really all I need to say.

I'm on break being a lazy sack of shit and cleaning my guns.  Actually I'm on a break between night classes to say fuck you Gip, for a teacher, your reading comprehension is atrocious.  I give a shit about tech workers?! I never one word, you can check, it's not that far down, just a few posts. The show is funny. These people are awkward as fuck and it's funny. That's all.  I don't think you've seen the show, because there's nothing to idolize. 

You assume so much, but you know nothing. So fuck you.  Forgive me for wanting to raise my kid in a city with zero crime and amazing schools, I'm a loser.  And I thought we were becoming pals.

As far as ruining the mission, hispanic families leaving is the only reason your ass is comfortable going to Delirium after dark. 
Yeah, totally. I'm a scared white boy who would never venture into the barrio! No sir, I never once have ever spent any time in that part of the world! (While I was typing this- 3 gunshots clacked off somewhere outside my door)
I love how you claim my reading comprehension sucks, then claim you never backed the tech workers or said anything like
Trust me, I'd love to live in Los Gatos or Cupertino
No sir, not you.
You may not have said word-for-word that you worship them, but you defended them and then said you'd love to live in the town that is most famous for being the headquarters for apple.

and as far as Beer keg's job goes, let that punk know! You aren't a loser! You go to night school!

dillanharp

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 01:15:21 AM »
What kind of sad piece of shit demeans someone for furthering their education? You're a fucking joke. A fucking "teacher" no less. Though I really can't believe they let you do that.

Me backing tech workers has NOTHING to do with living in either of those places. You're assuming. Do I need to act like your dad and explain why assuming things all the time is bad? Do you not have parents? Is that why you're a raging asshole? It's that, you were bullied, or have some sort of short man's complex. Why are you like this?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:12 AM »
If you guys want to rant and rave on each other can you please try and do it somewhere other than the thread about a half hour comedy show?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

MFLUDER

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 04:07:21 AM »
Zing.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 05:08:14 AM »

yes, unlike you i have to work a shitty job while i go to university. luckily for me though my tuition was not payed for with the blood of innocents.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »
also seriously post your waist measurement you fat fuck

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 06:10:40 AM »
It's like you two are the Gilfloyle and Danesh of this thread. 

dillanharp

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
also seriously post your waist measurement you fat fuck

34", or in terms you'll understand, it's like 5 boomerangs. 

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »

I guess that makes me the Bighead of the thread  8)
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess that makes me the Bighead of the thread  8)

So you're like the CEO of spite?

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »
To a degree, I'm a 'tech worker', and I take offense to your over generalization that all 'tech workers' are douchebags. I work for a scientific non-profit (that's financially viable) doing web programming for non-profit wages. I'm not driving anybody out of anywhere, and none of my 'tech worker' coworkers are douchebags or bros. They're actually all pretty normal, good people. On the contrary, I know a few teachers, and they all seem to be overly opinionated and not as open-minded as they claim. Though, I'm not going to judge all of them to be that way.

But on another point, no one feels bad for the poor Irish/German/Polish immigrants that were driven out of the Mission before the Latinos took it over, eh?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
What kind of sad piece of shit demeans someone for furthering their education? You're a fucking joke. A fucking "teacher" no less. Though I really can't believe they let you do that.

Me backing tech workers has NOTHING to do with living in either of those places. You're assuming. Do I need to act like your dad and explain why assuming things all the time is bad? Do you not have parents? Is that why you're a raging asshole? It's that, you were bullied, or have some sort of short man's complex. Why are you like this?
To me, it sounds like you are getting a shitty education reserved for people who aren't capable enough to get into better ones. And yeah, as a teacher, I use people like you as a reason to work hard in high school.

I'm not assuming. You just said you back tech workers, so my original point, that despite your claim you don't support them you clearly do, is correct. Also, you talk about "reading comprehension." The next level is "interpretation," not assumption. You wrote a love poem to them and then claimed I was crazy in assuming you backed them. I pointed out that you worship them so much, you even, possibly unconsciously, said you'd love to live in the town where Apple is headquartered.

To a degree, I'm a 'tech worker', and I take offense to your over generalization that all 'tech workers' are douchebags. I work for a scientific non-profit (that's financially viable) doing web programming for non-profit wages. I'm not driving anybody out of anywhere, and none of my 'tech worker' coworkers are douchebags or bros. They're actually all pretty normal, good people. On the contrary, I know a few teachers, and they all seem to be overly opinionated and not as open-minded as they claim. Though, I'm not going to judge all of them to be that way.

But on another point, no one feels bad for the poor Irish/German/Polish immigrants that were driven out of the Mission before the Latinos took it over, eh?
Really? Because you come off as a complete douchebag. I'm not surprised you didn't get along with teachers, they probably smelled you out for the stupid douche you are and wrote you off. Sure, people who serve their community are so lame because you don't get along with them. Meanwhile, assholes who destroy communities for personal profit aren't douches, because you have a lot of tech friends.

And the Latinos "took over" exactly what now? Where in la ciudad de San Francisco did latinos come and push people out? You do realize that neighborhood is named after a fucking Spanish mission that was established there to try to convert Native Americans, right?
And for your micropoint about how white people lived there at one point....wow...just wow...are you really going to compare the influx of Latino people who were displaced by the building of the bay bridge and following white flight to rich computer programmers moving there because "its cool" and pricing out people who had no intention of moving? SERIOUSLY? You are so fucking ignorant I'm surprised your comment about teachers wasn't "I've been sat down and lectured at by every teacher I meet for my combination of arrogance and complete fucking stupidity." And if you honestly don't even understand the difference between white flight and gentrification, its impossible to believe that you would even understand your role in an oppressive social movement if you were playing a part in it. You are clearly oblvious.
But yeah, you sound like a trashy tech idiot who is way too into defending himself as a good person, while not trying to actually reflect on how his actions and choices can have a larger effect.

And are you implying I've claimed to be open-minded? Because I'm not. I don't suffer fools gladly, and have no problem being intolerant of stupidity, and am proud to be intolerant of people acting in ways that hurts other individuals or communities. I think people should be able to have whatever identity they feel comfortable with, and am not open-minded to any discussion about whether or not they should. I think your "open minded" bullshit is just you feeling like you are entitled to be respected, when really, if you are harming others, you don't.

TL:DR version- I told you this show makes me pissed off about too much shit to enjoy it!- This was my original comment that started this argument, and I think my point is proven.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:30:10 PM by Ronald Wilson Reagan »

dillanharp

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 01:13:32 AM »
Holy fuck you're delusional! What "love poem?" You've never been to Cupertino, I guarantee it. You're just kind of talking out of your ass, insulting people based on your faulty perceptions. Do you talk to people like this in real life? Fuck no you don't. You love the anonymity of the internet. Fucking low life.

wigs

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 01:24:20 AM »
...anyway.
the new episode was great, continued the impressive first season run of this show. tj miller threatening those kids was pure gold. gilfoyle and dinesh continue to be perfect rivals with amazing chemistry. also gilfoyle's lackluster interest in satanism never fails to crack me up. zach woods getting stuck in the robot car and winding up stuck on an insane robot colony in the middle of the ocean was the icing on the cake. i'm very happy this show has already been renewed for a second season.

McBrandt

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »

Really? Because you come off as a complete douchebag. I'm not surprised you didn't get along with teachers, they probably smelled you out for the stupid douche you are and wrote you off. Sure, people who serve their community are so lame because you don't get along with them. Meanwhile, assholes who destroy communities for personal profit aren't douches, because you have a lot of tech friends.

I got along fine with my teachers when I was their student. My statement was referring to me as an adult, interacting with people my age who teach for a living, who you can't have a conversation with without trying to force white guilt upon a person even though I've personally had nothing to do with it except for being born a caucasian and not killing myself. I don't live in the Mission. I don't even live in the city, I'm not forcing anyone out of anywhere. If anything I'm being forced out of the Bay Area along with everyone else by my peers who make three times as much as me for creating some worthless app that benefits society in no way. I don't agree with the negative effects happening with the 'tech' industry's recent boom, and I certainly don't see it having a positive effect when everyone making middle-class or below wages are forced out of any urban locale. But, whatever, you've got me all figured out already, regardless of what I say.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »
^Nah, fuck going back to the show. The show fucking sucks and this conversation is more interesting.
Holy fuck you're delusional! What "love poem?" You've never been to Cupertino, I guarantee it. You're just kind of talking out of your ass, insulting people based on your faulty perceptions. Do you talk to people like this in real life? Fuck no you don't. You love the anonymity of the internet. Fucking low life.
Although I have been to Cupertino, what difference does it make? That doesn't have anything to do with the validity of my point. Of course night school boy doesn't understand how to format an argument. What are you studying? TV/VCR repair? Its funny that you got so fucking butthurt over my shittalking your education- All I was really doing is taking your approach to shit talking on beer keg peg leg and doing it to you. You think you are better than him because you don't have to work the job he does? Well, if that line of reasoning works, than certainly its fair game for me to laugh at your education because I didn't go to the shitty night school you do.
And for your last sentence...weren't you just saying how making assumptions is the sign of an idiot?
I actually kind of feel bad for you for trying to continue this argument. Keep lining me up though if you really want, I'll just keep tearing your ego apart.

Expand Quote

[close]

I got along fine with my teachers when I was their student. My statement was referring to me as an adult, interacting with people my age who teach for a living, who you can't have a conversation with without trying to force white guilt upon a person even though I've personally had nothing to do with it except for being born a caucasian and not killing myself. I don't live in the Mission. I don't even live in the city, I'm not forcing anyone out of anywhere. If anything I'm being forced out of the Bay Area along with everyone else by my peers who make three times as much as me for creating some worthless app that benefits society in no way. I don't agree with the negative effects happening with the 'tech' industry's recent boom, and I certainly don't see it having a positive effect when everyone making middle-class or below wages are forced out of any urban locale. But, whatever, you've got me all figured out already, regardless of what I say.

Do you want me to cry over the trials and tribulations you have faced by being in a high paying field and having the terrible misfortune of being a white man?

I'm not going to. I don't owe you SHIT. Instead of groveling at your feet like you think you deserve, I"m going to point out all of the fucking terrible shit you just said again

Have you ever thought that maybe people are trying to explain to you the complex world of race relations, and that maybe they do it over and over again because you keep spouting ignorant shit? Maybe if you opened your ears to somebody who isn't teaching you to be a code monkey people wouldn't have to keep lecturing you about your cultural insensitivity. No doubt you like tech bros better, I bet they use all sorts of slurs talking about the people they have displaced, and have never criticized your ignorant ass for being so fucking ignorant.

I know your quote was about you as an adult. You said that as an adult you negatively judge people who serve the common good, particularly those trying to combat institutional racism, and think people who are causing major social problems are good people because you get along with them, and they don't call you out on your cultural ignorance.
 Again, this reflects more on your ability to judge others, than it reflects on the people you are judging.

Don't worry, I get it. You are a shallow loser who judges people's place in society by how well they get along with you, and expect people to apologize and have pity on you for being a white male tech industry worker...
 boo fucking hoo.
 Poor you...
wait...seriously dude, do you own a mirror? Because you are the least self-reflective human being on earth. Do you really not get why people think you are a huge pile of shit?

You also claimed that you agree with me on everything I have said about the effect of tech people, but you don't like the truths (not generalizations) I tell about them because you feel like you are part of that culture. Suck it up bitch. If you are going to be a fucking cockroach, don't be mad when people point at you and scream.

You still can't explain the difference between gentrification and white flight, but I know, you are tired of hearing about it and have no intention about learning about people besides white male techies. To you, white male techies are the ultimate humans who are NOT to be disrespected, but anybody else who feels disrespected can shut their mud person mouth and stop whining right?
Finally, cry me a river with your last comment. Yeah, I do have you figured out, because I've met a thousand "McBrandt's" before. The worst techies are the ones who won't even acknowledge the problems their industry's boom has caused. You are one of those people. You are like that bitch who got robbed at Molotov's after sticking her fucking google glasses in everybody's faces and filming them when they asked her to stop. You are loud, think you own the world, and ALWAYS think you are the victim. You don't want to get shit talked? Don't start shit.

dillanharp

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
HA! Like I give a shit.  Some dickless e-hero wants to talk. I couldn't care less. You can keep coming at me though. I imagine you get pretty riled up over this shit, so I'm hoping you have a stroke or something. 

McBrandt

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
^Nah, fuck going back to the show. The show fucking sucks and this conversation is more interesting.
Expand Quote
[close]
Although I have been to Cupertino, what difference does it make? That doesn't have anything to do with the validity of my point. Of course night school boy doesn't understand how to format an argument. What are you studying? TV/VCR repair? Its funny that you got so fucking butthurt over my shittalking your education- All I was really doing is taking your approach to shit talking on beer keg peg leg and doing it to you. You think you are better than him because you don't have to work the job he does? Well, if that line of reasoning works, than certainly its fair game for me to laugh at your education because I didn't go to the shitty night school you do.
And for your last sentence...weren't you just saying how making assumptions is the sign of an idiot?
I actually kind of feel bad for you for trying to continue this argument. Keep lining me up though if you really want, I'll just keep tearing your ego apart.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Do you want me to cry over the trials and tribulations you have faced by being in a high paying field and having the terrible misfortune of being a white man?

I'm not going to. I don't owe you SHIT. Instead of groveling at your feet like you think you deserve, I"m going to point out all of the fucking terrible shit you just said again

Have you ever thought that maybe people are trying to explain to you the complex world of race relations, and that maybe they do it over and over again because you keep spouting ignorant shit? Maybe if you opened your ears to somebody who isn't teaching you to be a code monkey people wouldn't have to keep lecturing you about your cultural insensitivity. No doubt you like tech bros better, I bet they use all sorts of slurs talking about the people they have displaced, and have never criticized your ignorant ass for being so fucking ignorant.

I know your quote was about you as an adult. You said that as an adult you negatively judge people who serve the common good, particularly those trying to combat institutional racism, and think people who are causing major social problems are good people because you get along with them, and they don't call you out on your cultural ignorance.
 Again, this reflects more on your ability to judge others, than it reflects on the people you are judging.

Don't worry, I get it. You are a shallow loser who judges people's place in society by how well they get along with you, and expect people to apologize and have pity on you for being a white male tech industry worker...
 boo fucking hoo.
 Poor you...
wait...seriously dude, do you own a mirror? Because you are the least self-reflective human being on earth. Do you really not get why people think you are a huge pile of shit?

You also claimed that you agree with me on everything I have said about the effect of tech people, but you don't like the truths (not generalizations) I tell about them because you feel like you are part of that culture. Suck it up bitch. If you are going to be a fucking cockroach, don't be mad when people point at you and scream.

You still can't explain the difference between gentrification and white flight, but I know, you are tired of hearing about it and have no intention about learning about people besides white male techies. To you, white male techies are the ultimate humans who are NOT to be disrespected, but anybody else who feels disrespected can shut their mud person mouth and stop whining right?
Finally, cry me a river with your last comment. Yeah, I do have you figured out, because I've met a thousand "McBrandt's" before. The worst techies are the ones who won't even acknowledge the problems their industry's boom has caused. You are one of those people. You are like that bitch who got robbed at Molotov's after sticking her fucking google glasses in everybody's faces and filming them when they asked her to stop. You are loud, think you own the world, and ALWAYS think you are the victim. You don't want to get shit talked? Don't start shit.

Wow, you sure are bred for the internet, aren't you? You love spewing vitriol based on based on emotion, assumptions, and generalizations, rather than having an actual back and forth discussion.
Look, I'll admit the comparison I made between white flight and gentrification was pretty poor. But I did not negatively judge you in particular, nor every single teacher or person working for the common good. Way back up there I said "You sound like...", not "You are", because I don't know enough about you to make a personal judgement call and say you actually are like the annoying teachers I've met (which isn't EVERY teacher I've met). I'm curious about your students. I really hope you don't freak out on them like you do in here, when they disagree with something you teach. One honest question, and please remove your skin color from the equation. Do you, or do you not think you're adding to the gentrification in your neighborhood (where you hear gunshots crack off on the regular)? Please also bear in mind I'm not assuming you do or do not and I don't have an opinion, I'm merely asking you if you feel you are or aren't.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »
^He is.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
this conversation is more interesting.

NO IT'S NOT.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

dillanharp

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
this conversation is more interesting.

[close]
NO IT'S NOT.

Next week looks good, Jared's in the preview so I guess he made it back in time. I'm just wondering how Jared survived that trip, hasn't anyone seen season 2 of The Wire?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 11:19:37 PM »
I was wondering that when I saw the preview. Apparently if you aren't being sold into sex slavery, then you're good to go.

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
the only redeeming quality of this show is Jared's gaunt virgin personality and Peter Gregory talking. the rest is an offshoot of the big bang theory and every "irreverent, raucous comedy". It's a bummer because Mike Judge has such a knack for subtle characterizations