Author Topic: Silicon Valley  (Read 7341 times)

Thrillho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 133
Silicon Valley
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »

dillanharp

Re: Silicon Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:53 PM »
Watched it last night, pretty funny.  Had no idea Mike Judge was behind it. As someone who lives there, though not in the tech world, I agree it's a shithole.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »
Just finished watching it. Fucking amazing. I work for a Bay Area startup and damn is this spot-on in so many ways. The tech event/party at the beginning with the over-excited founder/CEO is almost universal out here.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:49:28 AM »
Awesome show - but I feel it's doomed like all the other good HBO comedies...It's got Roman from party down, and I like the guy whose house they all "incubate" in. Excited to see where this one goes with the story.

Between GoT, Silicon Valley, VEEP, and Wicked Tuna - Sunday Nights for T.V. are unmatched right now.

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=77404.msg2122579#msg2122579 date=1396968568
Awesome show - but I feel it's doomed like all the other good HBO comedies...It's got Roman from party down, and I like the guy whose house they all "incubate" in. Excited to see where this one goes with the story.

Between GoT, Silicon Valley, VEEP, and Wicked Tuna - Sunday Nights for T.V. are unmatched right now.

that show could have been huge

all I can say for this show so far is that I will be watching the second episode

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=77404.msg2122579#msg2122579 date=1396968568
Expand Quote

[close]

all I can say for this show so far is that I will be watching the second episode

Party Down was some of the funniest shit that's been on TV in years. Ken Marino was perfect on it. All the really good shows like that and Life and Times of Tim are just way too ahead of their time.

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=77404.msg2122641#msg2122641 date=1396976302
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Party Down was some of the funniest shit that's been on TV in years. Ken Marino was perfect on it. All the really good shows like that and Life and Times of Tim are just way too ahead of their time.

The role of Ken Marino's life was in an overlooked HBO comedy, glad he probably made some $crilla on Eastbound and Down

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
I want that thin car. Don't know if I can fit though.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
it wasn't very funny at all and some performances were terrible. but the super corny angle means it probably isn't geared towards me. I want to like it and like mike judge so il watch a few more episodes at least.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

wigs

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »
it wasn't very funny at all and some performances were terrible. but the super corny angle means it probably isn't geared towards me. I want to like it and like mike judge so il watch a few more episodes at least.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's geared towards people who can at least spell "I'll".

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 10:06:03 AM »
You guys ever watch that show about mick dodge?
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/the-legend-of-mick-dodge/videos/hunting-shrooms/

Dude is nuts!
i turned off this hbo silicon valley show after about 45 seconds and started watching mick dodge

We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
Just finished watching it. Fucking amazing. I work for a Bay Area startup and damn is this spot-on in so many ways. The tech event/party at the beginning with the over-excited founder/CEO is almost universal out here.

As someone who lives in the bay area and is not in the tech world it seemed to play too much on every obvious stereotype. It reminded me of how they would show the giant cell phone in every commercial for 'that 80s show'. That does not a good show make. I can see how people who dont live around here and arent sick of it all could be interested in the microcosm that is silicon valley though.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
oh nice - really!? The last episode was real good, happy to see HBO decided to give this one a little more life.

Did you guys hear the actor who plays Peter Gregory on the show died?
He battled lung cancer for years. So fucked up, he's brilliant in his whack-o tech guru role. The Burger King shit was absurdly awesome.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/appreciation-silicon-valley-christopher-evan-welch.html

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »
Each episode gets better and better.  Mike Judge forever!
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
Toy Machine spotting! Also, I thought this was pretty good. Is this the only episode on youtube?

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=77404.msg2130183#msg2130183 date=1398176402

Did you guys hear the actor who plays Peter Gregory on the show died?

Fuck.  I didn't know that.  I thought he was the most original character.  Him getting all weird after they didn't have a business plan was amazing.  Cancer sucks.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »
last night's episode was the best one yet

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=77404.msg2138104#msg2138104 date=1399305117
last night's episode was the best one yet

Definitely.  The whole "was that racist?" on-going joke was funny as was making fun of the "new and improved" ways that people try to communicate worked well.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »
I'm a fan.  ;D

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
I enjoyed the previous couple of episodes much more than yesterday's, but I'm definitely enjoying the show. Kumail and Martin Starr are awesome together.

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
How are they getting rid of peter gregory? only watched it for him. 

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 06:02:01 PM »

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
How are they getting rid of peter gregory? only watched it for him. 
Pretty sure the actor playing him passed away.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »
I know a lot of people going through a lot of shit because of these toolbags. I really just want an escape from these tech assholes, so its hard to watch. There is humor there, I just think a lot of people living in SF and the Bay Area right now don't want to see anymore silicon valley tools than they need to. My distaste for the show is circumstantial. And yeah, they make fun of them, but in a lighthearted, lovable sort of way.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 08:15:46 AM »
I know a lot of people going through a lot of shit because of these toolbags. I really just want an escape from these tech assholes, so its hard to watch. There is humor there, I just think a lot of people living in SF and the Bay Area right now don't want to see anymore silicon valley tools than they need to. My distaste for the show is circumstantial. And yeah, they make fun of them, but in a lighthearted, lovable sort of way.

Mike Judge's humor is always good - and i think he had some experience in the early 90's or so before he switched fields. That's why he nails it.

It really is that bad, huh...I guess the brogrammer shit is true. That just seems such an off combo to me, but i don't know shit about this world.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »
This just keeps getting better and better.  Richard reminds me of an autistic CK-1 though.

dillanharp

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

Shuuut up. What? they put a Google bus stop in their neighborhood now they can't afford their apartment while working in a coffee shop? Living in the city isn't a right, it's a privilege. If you can't afford it, leave.  There are more affordable options surrounding the city, and they aren't that bad. Trust me, I'd love to live in Los Gatos or Cupertino but I'm not going protest because "it isn't fair."

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »
I thought it exaggerates some of the stereotypes, but I guess that's the point.  The bro-grammer thing I haven't seen in real life, at least not at my company. But I guess at places as large as Google and Facebook, it's merely a matter of statistics that you'd get some. Still, you expect to find them in sales or marketing. Bummer that the Peter Gregory actor died, he was definitely a high point in the show.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 07:08:26 AM »
Papa Erlich taking care of business.

Haha Erlich dealing with the kid and Danesh's board of reasons had me dying.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
The supposedly brilliant kid that they had come over and ends up fucking their whole project up was wearing Lakais.