Author Topic: Where are Habitat decks made now?  (Read 2830 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
Where are Habitat decks made now?
« on: September 15, 2014, 06:52:20 AM »
I want to try a Habitat board again but the local doesn't carry them.

I was wondering; did they change the factory when they moved to tum yeto or are they still ps stix? If they changed it, does anyone know what they changed to? Watson? China?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Where are Habitat decks made now?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »
Pretty sure it's still ps wood, someone asked Prof. Schmitt on Instagram and he said he was still doing them

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:08:44 AM »
Pretty sure it's still ps wood, someone asked Prof. Schmitt on Instagram and he said he was still doing them
you are correct. still ps. slightly different shapes, less aws blunt more "normal"

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »
i just stepped on a java series 8.25 my friend was riding. definitely 100% feels like p.s. cus it still felt soggy-ish even tho it was brand new. i cant get into that wood at all

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you are correct. still ps. slightly different shapes, less aws blunt more "normal"

Thats what I was hoping, thanks alot for the answers.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They're still using both woodshops, PS and BBS. Same identifiers as before, PS uses the brand/stamp between the front trucks holes and BBS uses the sticker between the front truck holes.

The Java series is PS pressed.

dillanharp

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:03 AM »
You should get that tight new Lego series.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

They're still using both woodshops, PS and BBS. Same identifiers as before, PS uses the brand/stamp between the front trucks holes and BBS uses the sticker between the front truck holes.

The Java series is PS pressed.

rad. thanks for the info.
hardly art, hardly starving

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »

I am the biggest Habitat shill you'll ever find and even I have no idea what they were thinking on that one. They all had to sit around and say, yep - looks great, we'll go with that! They completely lost me on that one.

I was surprised (in a good way) that the PS pressed 8.25 shape seems a little more normal that before. From prior series, that PS pressed 8.25 shape had a 6.25 tail on, which made the board useless. (the Janoski from the Stained Glass series was a great example) I'd never even bother with the PS stuff they put out, but it seems like they tweaked the mold.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am the biggest Habitat shill you'll ever find and even I have no idea what they were thinking on that one. They all had to sit around and say, yep - looks great, we'll go with that! They completely lost me on that one.

Expand Quote
[close]

I was surprised (in a good way) that the PS pressed 8.25 shape seems a little more normal that before. From prior series, that PS pressed 8.25 shape had a 6.25 tail on, which made the board useless. (the Janoski from the Stained Glass series was a great example) I'd never even bother with the PS stuff they put out, but it seems like they tweaked the mold.

yeah, not exactly the best art direction choice for the "relaunch" of the brand.  even just an uninspired "H" logo with a name would have been a better choice.  to be honest, im not really into the Java series either.  I really want to get behind Habitat again, but haven't seen a board i'd like to skate yet.
hardly art, hardly starving

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:35:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, not exactly the best art direction choice for the "relaunch" of the brand.  even just an uninspired "H" logo with a name would have been a better choice.  to be honest, im not really into the Java series either.  I really want to get behind Habitat again, but haven't seen a board i'd like to skate yet.

The Marius pro board is the one I really want. I got the Suciu Java series board just to get a "new" Habitat, but the Marius board is the one I am super hyped for. The graphics are classic Habitat and it's coming in 8.25.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »
Yep...PS Stix....looked really flat and most are a very similar shape.....

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Wanted to correct my earlier post...

It looks like PS Stix is doing all of Habiat's boards. The BBS stuff that you might still find in shops or online retailers is leftover from before the Pac Vector debacle.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:02:22 AM by heritage »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
That miniature series is pretty crap, but it's the only stuff out of the new offering that doesn't look great.

4wheels

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »
all these boards they are making now where in the catalog when they still where under pacific vector. Alien had a whole fall/winter catalog that was swiped :(

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »
That miniature series is pretty crap, but it's the only stuff out of the new offering that doesn't look great.

Totally agree. I dig all the stuff except for the miniatures series. That one is just...strange. It seems so out of context.

all these boards they are making now where in the catalog when they still where under pacific vector. Alien had a whole fall/winter catalog that was swiped :(

Yeah, the Java series that's out right now was originally going to be released as a P2 board series when they were still with Pac Vec.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »

Playmobil

abudabi

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
are the noses still crazy steep or are they normal now? people are saying the molds mellower now, but they would have to change the nose by a lot for me to be able to skate their shapes.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
are the noses still crazy steep or are they normal now? people are saying the molds mellower now, but they would have to change the nose by a lot for me to be able to skate their shapes.

I think they were pretty inconsistent, and Alien too. I found a shape that I liked more than any other I had tried but I could never find another one with the same dimensions and shape. Why do companies do this? It would be nice to find a shape and be able to stick to it like you can with DLX boards.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Me neither. Make an Al Davis board with a not-terrible graphic and you might catch me giving a fuck about the brand.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 11:17:21 PM »
I was kinda disappointed...I think I read in the castrucci interview things would be scaled back...this run looked rushed....hopefully it'll get better...

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 05:55:13 AM »
I think they were pretty inconsistent, and Alien too. I found a shape that I liked more than any other I had tried but I could never find another one with the same dimensions and shape. Why do companies do this? It would be nice to find a shape and be able to stick to it like you can with DLX boards.

Totally agree and It's because the production was split between two woodshops. So, for someone not really plugged into the way Habitat/AWS was doing things, they were going to the shop and just looking for the size they liked. What they didn't realize is that from one series to the next it could've either been a PS or BBS, each with a very different mold and shape. Now things will be more consistent run to run.

Me neither. Make an Al Davis board with a not-terrible graphic and you might catch me giving a fuck about the brand.

Yikes. That's a little harsh Satch. IMO the only bummer graphic in this series is the Playmobil. The Java is good, Pack and Go is great, as is the Terrain and the forthcoming Marius 'Suomi' graphic. Really psyched on that one. Also, Habitat is filled with backable rippers other than Davis. Silas, Dela, Suciu....

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 08:52:19 AM »
I get harsh on occasion. :) Truth is I've just never been a fan of the vibe or the art direction. Which is a shame since I really like the team.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
What did playmobil ever do to you dude.....

I remember alien boards being pretty steep all around and I liked em....was hoping they would have gone like toy to BB......