Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 381541 times)

Fooj

• Rep: 0
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3540 on: January 15, 2021, 03:32:46 PM »
Whenever I see the display from Uprise I can't help but think I want to try some of those wheels.  They do such a good job, with detailed pics and showing all angles which is a lot more than most places do.

This time Dialtone wheels, which look like a few others that have been on here and there and I know absolutely nothing about them, but it is cool to see.

I also notice this, so much better pics than other sights. Even though I live in LA I try to buy from them if my local is out.  Those granite pieces and clean background make all the difference

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3541 on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »
Ok so regarding the ebay/mercari fake bones... There's a few things ive noticed that are a dead giveaway.

First off if they claim they're "open box" or "used for display" then thats a huge red flag, especially if they have dozens of them in every flavor. Has anyone ever seen a bones display with open boxes in a legit skate shop? Me neither. Whats more likely is the factory wasn't able to replicate the skate rated sticker so they just unwrapped them.

Second one is a lot of the time they'll also be selling  "sovereign speed" or "Supreme" bearings, i assume because they come from the same factory. I have a feeling that a lot of these sellers are part of a network that deals almost exclusively in counterfeit chinese goods. Im sure they're paying pennies on the dollar for them so I'd imagine its very lucrative. I've noticed that when they start to get too many negative reviews or feedback they delete the account and a new one pops up with obviously faked feedback.

So basically, if you're trying to get a deal on bones then your best bet is to wait for a good hardgoods discount code from a reputable shop like SPOT or socal.

Seems like the open box ones are just the ones people returned because they realized they're fake lol.

Even the most precise of "Skate rated" stickers seems to have been copied now, with a set I saw.

On another thought, I noticed TGM is a shop I have seen with a few sets of Bones Swiss bearings opened or lightly used, which I thought was a bit weird, but I guess anything like that has been easily moved in house to friends or even put on my own boards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLEM-BONES-SWISS-Skateboard-Bearings-8-Pack-8mm-Precision-Competition-Size-608-/373117277057?hash=item56df85d381
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3542 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »

Can you pass on a link? I've reported sellers with fake Bones bearings before. I doubt much happens but I try get the ball rolling.

I always report them when I see them, as that is the skate shop guy in me, but so far it seems that none have been taken down.

What I have done is passed the seller id or listing info on to relevant persons in the industry, as they might have more luck.

CBP

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3543 on: January 16, 2021, 02:07:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Been skating 60mm spitfire f4 classics for the last couple months, skating street mostly.

If you ride 56mm the adjustment period is pretty minimal. They look insane on smaller boards and roll over crust like a conical full.

Highly recommended.
[close]
I will admit that i've had trouble with some fliptricks since changing to 60mm from 56mm. I think it has more to do with using risers than wheels itself, what trucks are you riding and do you run any risers?

Skating Ace 55s with Indy risers on 8.5

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -197
« Reply #3544 on: January 16, 2021, 04:18:56 AM »
Just to out this out there in case anyone thinks about buying these : my friend got two harsh flat spots the third day he skated these wheels
OJ hard lines
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/54mm-from-concentrate-hardline-101a-oj-skateboard-wheels-8196935?utm_source=ojwheels.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=54mm%20From%20Concentrate%20Hardline%20101a%20
Iím a fat Siamese cat.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3545 on: January 16, 2021, 06:07:59 AM »
Any wheels can and will flatspot, even in the first minute of use if you slip out or slide to a stop, yes even Bones or Spitfire Formula Four (seen it and done it), but I know some wheels will flatspot much more easily than others and it would seem OJs are pretty high on that list.

I do like the joy of wearing out flatspots in Formula Four wheels doing powerslides down my long mellow road though, cause it is rather satisfying to have wheels that have been deemed no longer useful and wear them down a mm or two and have them good for smooth surfaces again.

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 452
« Reply #3546 on: January 16, 2021, 06:48:00 AM »
i totally agree. i managed to flatspot a few f4s by now but the cool thing is exactly what you describe, you can powerslide them flatspots out nicely usually. with a lot of wheels it's like there's no turning back once you put a flatty in them.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 71
« Reply #3547 on: January 16, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Also agree. Pre-F4 I was on SPF/ STF and if you flat spotted an SPF good luck getting that shit out. Any F4 I flat spotted was pretty small and was gone after a few hill bombs.

Rem377

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3548 on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
Just to out this out there in case anyone thinks about buying these : my friend got two harsh flat spots the third day he skated these wheels
OJ hard lines
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/54mm-from-concentrate-hardline-101a-oj-skateboard-wheels-8196935?utm_source=ojwheels.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=54mm%20From%20Concentrate%20Hardline%20101a%20

I picked these up a few months ago and got a flat spot within two weeks. I was hoping it would wear off after a while, but it's so annoying that I'm throwing in the towel on them. Can't decide whether to continue searching for a Spitfire alternative (debating some Bones STF V5 99s or NFG Vee Cut) or go back to F4.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #3549 on: January 17, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
Expand Quote
OJ hard lines
[close]

I picked these up a few months ago and got a flat spot within two weeks. I was hoping it would wear off after a while, but it's so annoying that I'm throwing in the towel on them. Can't decide whether to continue searching for a Spitfire alternative (debating some Bones STF V5 99s or NFG Vee Cut) or go back to F4.
oooo not a good look for those OJís. I would say loophole/NFG - I have the 95a vee cut and like em a lot for crust

JugeL

• Rep: -11
« Reply #3550 on: January 17, 2021, 11:23:25 AM »
Yeah OJs are no go for me also. Flatspotted those wide ones in a few weeks and didn't never like how they slided compared to f4.

TracersOnlyfans

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3551 on: January 17, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »
Even though I am a Spitfire guy (obviously), I do enjoy trying out other wheels from time to time. I found some Bones SPF 55's for $10 at a sale, so I figured I would try them out. Surprisingly, I had a set of Zero wheels a few years ago, and they were actually somewhat good. Most of the wheels made by board companies are pretty bad, but I liked the Zero wheels more than Bones STF's.
mods, please change username to "Spitfire4sometimes"

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -187
« Reply #3552 on: January 17, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Even though I am a Spitfire guy (obviously), I do enjoy trying out other wheels from time to time. I found some Bones SPF 55's for $10 at a sale, so I figured I would try them out. Surprisingly, I had a set of Zero wheels a few years ago, and they were actually somewhat good. Most of the wheels made by board companies are pretty bad, but I liked the Zero wheels more than Bones STF's.
[close]
mods, please change username to "Spitfire4sometimes"

Lol

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #3553 on: January 18, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
Iím lucky enough to buy from some of the best shops in the country, so I donít need to worry about fakery.

On the topic of wheels: I skate Ďbetterí on 50-52, live in a crusty zone. At what point in escalating wheel size do more spots become available to people? I was skating at my personal best, quite awhile ago, and had this experience where I met up with some folks that were outside my ability level. They were bombing hills, skitching back up, lots of grinds on Unwaxed shit, you know, ruling. I was waaaay back on a 775, loís etc. couldnít handle the terrain outside of the skatepark. Iíve chased bigger setups since, hasnít really helped.

TL;dr

How big your wheels need to be to skate most places?

I skated very shitty spots on 51mm F4s for a while. The tablets do better, or if you can do 52s the conical fulls perform really well. Width and euro matter more to me, though when you go smaller they wear out much sooner.

I was skating some 56s for a couple of months. They were cool and rolling over stuff was great, but I put on some 52s the other day and they skate better and I haven't eaten it yet.

Also, to save me a PM, I am sending your trucks tomorrow.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3554 on: January 18, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Iím lucky enough to buy from some of the best shops in the country, so I donít need to worry about fakery.

On the topic of wheels: I skate Ďbetterí on 50-52, live in a crusty zone. At what point in escalating wheel size do more spots become available to people? I was skating at my personal best, quite awhile ago, and had this experience where I met up with some folks that were outside my ability level. They were bombing hills, skitching back up, lots of grinds on Unwaxed shit, you know, ruling. I was waaaay back on a 775, loís etc. couldnít handle the terrain outside of the skatepark. Iíve chased bigger setups since, hasnít really helped.

TL;dr

[close]

I skated very shitty spots on 51mm F4s for a while. The tablets do better, or if you can do 52s the conical fulls perform really well. Width and euro matter more to me, though when you go smaller they wear out much sooner.

I was skating some 56s for a couple of months. They were cool and rolling over stuff was great, but I put on some 52s the other day and they skate better and I haven't eaten it yet.

Something about the classic shape feels Ďrightí. My dumb comment about conical fulls is that they seem to get bigger. I need to go speed check some hills for awhile, also because fun. I always trip out on watching Puleo footage where heís crushing cutty looking spots on 50s with loís.
Notice any pop reduction with the smaller wheels and ace?

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #3555 on: January 18, 2021, 08:48:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

TL;dr

[close]

[close]

Something about the classic shape feels Ďrightí. My dumb comment about conical fulls is that they seem to get bigger. I need to go speed check some hills for awhile, also because fun. I always trip out on watching Puleo footage where heís crushing cutty looking spots on 50s with loís.
Notice any pop reduction with the smaller wheels and ace?

Honestly my pop got better because it was on a steep-ass Hockey. Less ghostly.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -197
« Reply #3556 on: January 19, 2021, 04:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
OJ hard lines
[close]

[close]
oooo not a good look for those OJís. I would say loophole/NFG - I have the 95a vee cut and like em a lot for crust
I love my bones stf 99s. I do a lot of back 180s where I slide the wheels and I havenít got any flat spots in the last month. My friend was learning back 180s when he flat spotted his OJs and it was after like his 5th attempt trying to do one over a hip.
Iím a fat Siamese cat.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3557 on: January 19, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
Iím on 99a F4 classics. Really enjoying the 99a coming off 101 radials. Been skating more and more street and crust. My local gas 95a OJ nomads and 99a F4 tablets. They both are the tablet shape I want to try. F4 I trust. But 95a is tempting. Has anyone had both ? Thoughts?

dr.prestige

• Rep: -4
  • Burnt to a crisp
« Reply #3558 on: January 19, 2021, 11:32:39 AM »
I've been skating NFGs pretty much exclusively for a year or two now. The urethane is just as good as your spitfires or bones, if not better, without all their gimmicks. From what I've heard, the dude running the company did chemistry for a while at spitfire, and from the way the wheels feel I can tell he definitely knows his shit. It's also rad to know that I'm skating wheels made by bay area skate rats like me. Recently I've been skating the smoothie wheels they've been making, it's kinda neat skating a bigger bearing than typical skate bearings. Maybe it's a placebo but I feel like the larger diameter of the bearings add a bit more momentum; I'm riding 54s but they handle transition like a 56 or 58 would without the larger wheel size. It's worth checking them out if you feel like switching things up for a change, I think this is the first time skate bearing technology has changed since they stopped using loose ball bearings in the '70s.

dipped

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3559 on: January 20, 2021, 12:43:04 AM »
Has anyone tried the satori conical shape? I would like to know how they compare to the f4 99a conicals. I used to really enjoy skating satoris back in the day so iĎm really tempted to get some new ones.

Chevy Beretta

« Reply #3560 on: January 20, 2021, 01:28:38 AM »
Has anyone tried the satori conical shape? I would like to know how they compare to the f4 99a conicals. I used to really enjoy skating satoris back in the day so iĎm really tempted to get some new ones.
They don't compare to f4s. They're just regular ass creative, I think, wheels. I know they're poured in the US, so I'm just assuming creative. I think they're fine though, but I'm not super picky about wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3561 on: January 20, 2021, 06:52:11 AM »
Iím on 99a F4 classics. Really enjoying the 99a coming off 101 radials. Been skating more and more street and crust. My local has 95a OJ nomads and 99a F4 tablets. They both are the tablet shape I want to try. F4 I trust. But 95a is tempting. Has anyone had both ? Thoughts?

I would be curious to hear if any of the local shop guys have actually skated the 95s (or what they ride themselves, as that will usually sway their recommendations), because lots of people who have skated them say they are great, but they are 95 duro and my older Spitfire 95 duro wheels are perfect for skating slippery parks I don't want to slip out on, or make rough riding a lot smoother, but I definitely feel they are slower overall.  Note different brands, so different formulas, etc.

You know what Formula Four is like, just a slightly different shape of wheel, and when new they might feel a tiny bit different to when you have them nicely old and worn in, but once classics wear down, they end up much more squared off and perfect for how I like them, so tablets might be a bit more of that right from go, especially the medium to bigger tablets.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.

Diocletian

• Rep: 50
« Reply #3562 on: January 20, 2021, 08:02:20 AM »
I've been skating NFGs pretty much exclusively for a year or two now. The urethane is just as good as your spitfires or bones, if not better, without all their gimmicks. From what I've heard, the dude running the company did chemistry for a while at spitfire, and from the way the wheels feel I can tell he definitely knows his shit. It's also rad to know that I'm skating wheels made by bay area skate rats like me. Recently I've been skating the smoothie wheels they've been making, it's kinda neat skating a bigger bearing than typical skate bearings. Maybe it's a placebo but I feel like the larger diameter of the bearings add a bit more momentum; I'm riding 54s but they handle transition like a 56 or 58 would without the larger wheel size. It's worth checking them out if you feel like switching things up for a change, I think this is the first time skate bearing technology has changed since they stopped using loose ball bearings in the '70s.

Wait...what?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3563 on: January 20, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait...what?

Have the same reaction as Dio

Sundaynuggets

• Rep: 73
« Reply #3564 on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait...what?

I canít find the website, but there is a wheel company that uses NFGMFG urethane that makes larger than normal bearings, and the NFG wheels are made specifically for those larger bearing sizes (not just larger balls in the bearing, but the bearings as a whole are actually larger afik).

I havenít tried them but Iím intrigued. I think they are called Smoothie

Sundaynuggets

• Rep: 73
« Reply #3565 on: January 20, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
Found the site. It looks like they also make normal sized bearings too

https://sm00thie.com/

Diocletian

• Rep: 50
« Reply #3566 on: January 20, 2021, 10:58:26 AM »
Interesing, I'd probably get these if they had the 95a formula. I can't do hard wheels anymore, need a big 95-97a wheel 56-60mm

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3567 on: January 20, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
I received 2 sets of SF F4 OG Classics that wobble like crazy. No matter what I do the bearings just will not sit in the wheels properly. Brought them to a shop to see if they could get it straight. They could not. I even got myself a bearing press. Madness.

I think my F4 OG Classics are just flawed/malformed.

I swapped in some NFG Vee wheels and couldn’t be happier with them. No issues. Great wheels.

Hopefully NFG restocks the 95a Vee’s. I really want to try some in 56-60mm. Maybe Loophole will get some 95a’s in their lineup too.

yourbreakfsat

• Rep: 90
« Reply #3568 on: January 20, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
I received 2 sets of SF F4 OG Classics that wobble like crazy. No matter what I do the bearings just will not sit in the wheels properly. Brought them to a shop to see if they could get it straight. They could not. I even got myself a bearing press. Madness.

Contact customer support https://www.spitfirewheels.com/guaranteed/

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3569 on: January 20, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Contact customer support https://www.spitfirewheels.com/guaranteed/

Thank you.

I contacted dlx regarding the 55mm set about 4 weeks ago.

The customer service was very helpful and after seeing some photos and videos of the wheels they agreed to send some replacements. Still waiting on those to be shipped.

In the time since then I received the second set of same wheels in 52mm as a gift.
Unfortunately they have the same issues.

Since the second set was a gift I am unsure whether or not I should contact dlx a second time about the same issue. Iím not even sure when or from where they were purchased. They were a Christmas gift that was stuck in the mail for weeks.

Maybe I will contact dlx about those too. 

Thanks again.