Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777637 times)

Mulldrifter and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5550 on: August 17, 2022, 08:18:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All this dragon talk got me on some V3 STF’s…..
[close]

Been on some V2s since they are nearly identical (just a tad slimmer) to radial slims - which until today were hard as fuck to find and I am pretty sure will continue to be - and a set of V5s. Fucking love that shape.

I find I blunt slide better on 103 STFs than 101 F4s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[close]

I always thought the tablets were the same no?  That’s why I always liked v2’s because they look like tablets.  I got v3’s because I figure they will wear down nicely into just really small wheels…
[close]

Yeah, they are super close, V2s have a more rounded lip like the Radial slim and height being equal (52mm), a smaller riding surface than either tablet or RSlim. 52 V2/V3 are identical width and contact, just different lip.

The Ricta Nyjal Super Slim is still [was] the best. Slimmer than all of the above in all aspects. Shame they're gone for good since he's not on the team anymore/the ricta super slim natural isn't the same as the nyjal.
[close]

Have you tried Satori? They have some very skinny wheels, with a narrow contact patch.

The satori’s felt soft for 101s. They’re fine, but personally didn’t find the slide as smooth as a 99f4 or bones 99, but they rolled on the DIY ground well enough.

Crupie also has some very slim wheels but they are prone to flat spot.

CaptainCheeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #5551 on: August 17, 2022, 08:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks like Nick Boserio is testing the OG combo shape in 56 mm with same width and contact patch as the 60mm hopefully OJ makes enough because these would be a fun set of wheels to skate

[close]

the graphic clearly says 60mm.
Maybe they're 56mm wide?

Nall messaged him they are gonna be 56 mm also if you zoom in they drew a 56 on the wheel they just reused the graphic

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5552 on: August 17, 2022, 08:51:26 AM »
Ok then

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5553 on: August 17, 2022, 10:36:30 AM »
Cross post from the other Dragons thread to see if I'm the only one experiencing this -

After a 3 hour session, it seemed like I was having to push more or the wheels just weren’t as fast.

The bearings were shifting around slightly and causing my wheels to get tight.  I would have to use my thumbs to push the outside of the wheel against the hanger or axle nut in order to get them seated and spinning correctly.

I’ve only had this issue with Radial Slims previously.  I’m not sure if it’s a bearing seat issue or how soft the wheels are.

Anyone else had this happen?

I used to have this problem really bad with bones wheels (V1, V3) and this is why I switched to F4s. With the bones, it would get to the point that after 1-2 months of skating the bering seats where so slack that when I took the wheel off the truck, the bearings would fall out of the wheel without any force- just by tipping the wheel sideways. I have been getting this issue with F4 radial slims and classics, though not to the same extent as with bones, but it will still happen at least twice every session. My theory is that they (the manufacturers) make the bearing seats too loose to start with (to make things easier for when the user sets their wheels up) and that makes it more prone for the bearing to begin slipping. Once it begins to slip, it only gets worse with time. I used to really like the classic formula wheels from back in the day (minus the flatspotting) when the bearings used to be a nightmare to insert or take out of the wheel. I believe that this is how all wheels should be made. If someone is a child or generally too weak to insert their bearings in their wheels they can always ask their parents or a stronger friend to do it for them.
I found that if I use a cloth to wipe the oil off the outer surfaces of new bearings, the lateral shift takes longer to start happening.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5554 on: August 17, 2022, 10:48:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Cross post from the other Dragons thread to see if I'm the only one experiencing this -

After a 3 hour session, it seemed like I was having to push more or the wheels just weren’t as fast.

The bearings were shifting around slightly and causing my wheels to get tight.  I would have to use my thumbs to push the outside of the wheel against the hanger or axle nut in order to get them seated and spinning correctly.

I’ve only had this issue with Radial Slims previously.  I’m not sure if it’s a bearing seat issue or how soft the wheels are.

Anyone else had this happen?
[close]

I used to have this problem really bad with bones wheels (V1, V3) and this is why I switched to F4s. With the bones, it would get to the point that after 1-2 months of skating the bering seats where so slack that when I took the wheel off the truck, the bearings would fall out of the wheel without any force- just by tipping the wheel sideways. I have been getting this issue with F4 radial slims and classics, though not to the same extent as with bones, but it will still happen at least twice every session. My theory is that they (the manufacturers) make the bearing seats too loose to start with (to make things easier for when the user sets their wheels up) and that makes it more prone for the bearing to begin slipping. Once it begins to slip, it only gets worse with time. I used to really like the classic formula wheels from back in the day (minus the flatspotting) when the bearings used to be a nightmare to insert or take out of the wheel. I believe that this is how all wheels should be made. If someone is a child or generally too weak to insert their bearings in their wheels they can always ask their parents or a stronger friend to do it for them.
I found that if I use a cloth to wipe the oil off the outer surfaces of new bearings, the lateral shift takes longer to start happening.

It shouldn't matter in the slightest, but I found some bearing brands have a tendency to slip out a whole lot more easily than some others.

Just curious what you are running in your wheels?

All the same brand of bearings, or have you had multiple sets of bearings do the same thing?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5555 on: August 17, 2022, 10:59:27 AM »
^It has happened with bones swiss (normal ones & super 6), bones reds, spitfire cheapshots, and my friend had the same issue with bronsons. He could spin the wheel with the bearing staying stationary and the wheel spinning around the bearing. It has happened in hot and cold weather, and I have been having this issue since around 2010. So it has been happening on different ground, different conditions as I travel a lot, and on multiple sets of wheels.
I also forgot to say that I don't go mad on the powerslides and that when the bearings slip it is usually after bailing a trick and the board goes tumbling around. Very strange thing..
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5556 on: August 17, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All this dragon talk got me on some V3 STF’s…..
[close]

Been on some V2s since they are nearly identical (just a tad slimmer) to radial slims - which until today were hard as fuck to find and I am pretty sure will continue to be - and a set of V5s. Fucking love that shape.

I find I blunt slide better on 103 STFs than 101 F4s ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[close]

I always thought the tablets were the same no?  That’s why I always liked v2’s because they look like tablets.  I got v3’s because I figure they will wear down nicely into just really small wheels…
[close]

Yeah, they are super close, V2s have a more rounded lip like the Radial slim and height being equal (52mm), a smaller riding surface than either tablet or RSlim. 52 V2/V3 are identical width and contact, just different lip.

The Ricta Nyjal Super Slim is still [was] the best. Slimmer than all of the above in all aspects. Shame they're gone for good since he's not on the team anymore/the ricta super slim natural isn't the same as the nyjal.
[close]

Have you tried Satori? They have some very skinny wheels, with a narrow contact patch.

[close]

The satori’s felt soft for 101s. They’re fine, but personally didn’t find the slide as smooth as a 99f4 or bones 99, but they rolled on the DIY ground well enough.

Crupie also has some very slim wheels but they are prone to flat spot.

Yeah, creative/mearthane gets a full pass from me...everything is grippy, soft and just sort of meh.

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5557 on: August 17, 2022, 02:01:34 PM »
 If I can blame my setup for my lack of skill, I always will.
So I just switched out my Spitfire classic shape 54 mm wheels for the dragons 54 mm and skated for 2 hours in a concrete skatepark.

They ride very smooth and silent, and they have like a spongy/bouncy feel to them.
Other than that, I have nothing to say about them. Didn’t even think of doing powerslides, cause I’m not doing them with my spitfires if I don’t have to…landed nothing but some ollies and a shove-it.

Point is, while my reply is totally useless… they are just fine wheels. Just like the spits but different. I really should stop buying new shit and focus more on skating. They are just wheels… and I didn’t skate better. Leaves me wondering how good some people must be to actually promote/bash new products.

But hey, I’m also an adult and spending money on toys is fun. Now I have 2 sets of totally fine wheels. I just ordered new trucks btw,so I can set up 2 boards. Cause…it was probably the indys that didnt match the dragons very well. Once I get my new Thunders and pair ‘em with the Dragons… oooh boi.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5558 on: August 17, 2022, 04:00:07 PM »
Dude, don't do Thunders and Dragons. I ride Thunders and have adapted to the lack of baseplate, but got fucking bucked on my Dragons when I got a bit lazy and didn't lift my tail as high on a nose slide at the skatepark. It was my first hit of the tall box for the day and rightfully put me in my place.

Also, if you want to believe the internet you can't ride crust, wheels over 50mm, and carve transition on Thunders and their kingpin is going to impale you.

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #5559 on: August 17, 2022, 04:24:09 PM »
Looks like im wrong nick said oj wont make em he made em custom

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5560 on: August 17, 2022, 05:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like Nick Boserio is testing the OG combo shape in 56 mm with same width and contact patch as the 60mm hopefully OJ makes enough because these would be a fun set of wheels to skate

[close]

Maybe they're 56mm wide?
[close]

Nall messaged him they are gonna be 56 mm also if you zoom in they drew a 56 on the wheel they just reused the graphic

Have some Orange 56 95a mini combos from a few years ago. Same shape as a 56mm slime ball. Good wheel, for sure. Curious about about the round instead of cross shaped innermost hole. That’s usually on the US made NHS wheels, whereas the squarish cross ones are China.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5561 on: August 17, 2022, 07:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe they're 56mm wide?
[close]

[close]

Have some Orange 56 95a mini combos from a few years ago. Same shape as a 56mm slime ball. Good wheel, for sure. Curious about about the round instead of cross shaped innermost hole. That’s usually on the US made NHS wheels, whereas the squarish cross ones are China.

I thought I saw somewhere that they still make limited runs of the OG 95a and 97a wheels with the same compound in the same molds and even the same dudes making them as they did way back in the day, but only for those special edition wheels now, with everything else including all the new normal 60mm Slimeballs and Elites being made in China.

They might be some of those ones.

Like this:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/ojii-elite-combo-95a-white-skateboard-wheels-60mm-p16656

Was this what you had:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/ojii-elite-mini-combo-95a-orange-skateboard-wheels-56mm-p38333

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:11:27 PM by Mbrimson88 »

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5562 on: August 18, 2022, 12:06:59 AM »
Dude, don't do Thunders and Dragons. I ride Thunders and have adapted to the lack of baseplate, but got fucking bucked on my Dragons when I got a bit lazy and didn't lift my tail as high on a nose slide at the skatepark. It was my first hit of the tall box for the day and rightfully put me in my place.

Also, if you want to believe the internet you can't ride crust, wheels over 50mm, and carve transition on Thunders and their kingpin is going to impale you.

Ha, thanks for the heads up!

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #5563 on: August 18, 2022, 08:39:13 AM »

I just rode Thunders and Dragons yesterday the wheels were fine but I couldn't  adapt to my lack of skating this year..

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #5564 on: August 18, 2022, 08:45:11 AM »
I can't do bluntslides on Dragons but it might be because I can't do bluntslides.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #5565 on: August 18, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »
I can't do bluntslides on Dragons but it might be because I can't do bluntslides.

On a nice worn in, waxed concrete ledge they go basically just as good as f4s. But at one of my locals someone built a box thats just raw, kinda unpolished wood on the top. f4s go with a teeny bit of a wax but these dragons wont fucking go at all unless you coat it and make it dangerously slick for everybody else

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5566 on: August 18, 2022, 11:54:40 AM »
I just came across a set of 56mm Parkburners while reorganizing my storage space. I don't recall when exactly I got these, but I think they must be over eight years old now. I think I cruised around on them maybe a couple of times.

They don't have the durometer printed on them, but an image search says they're "true 98DU".

I have a set of F4 99D 54mm classics that I'm really enjoying right now and I don't want to mess with my setup. Madness is at an all-time low (relative to my usual suffering). 

Does anyone recall their experience with these?

They definitely don't feel soft, but there is a slightly noticeable give when pressing my nail into them compared to the 99 F4s.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5567 on: August 18, 2022, 02:54:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SPtw6irEQI&t=121s

Got a pile of old wheels ready for this. Hope my shop participates.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5568 on: August 18, 2022, 03:01:55 PM »
I just came across a set of 56mm Parkburners while reorganizing my storage space. I don't recall when exactly I got these, but I think they must be over eight years old now. I think I cruised around on them maybe a couple of times.

They don't have the durometer printed on them, but an image search says they're "true 98DU".

I have a set of F4 99D 54mm classics that I'm really enjoying right now and I don't want to mess with my setup. Madness is at an all-time low (relative to my usual suffering). 

They definitely don't feel soft, but there is a slightly noticeable give when pressing my nail into them compared to the 99 F4s.

Wheels have a shelf life. I believe wheels over 2 years old or so are past their point of usefulness. 10 year old wheels are not going to give you any joy. I say chuck um’.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5569 on: August 18, 2022, 03:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wheels have a shelf life. I believe wheels over 2 years old or so are past their point of usefulness. 10 year old wheels are not going to give you any joy. I say chuck um’.
Strong disagree. I have over 5 year old STFs that feel just like new ones. Also some more than 10 year old bones 100s, they roll fine, just slide really bad.

What kind of wheels went bad for you?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5570 on: August 18, 2022, 03:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Strong disagree. I have over 5 year old STFs that feel just like new ones. Also some more than 10 year old bones 100s, they roll fine, just slide really bad.

What kind of wheels went bad for you?

Mostly Spitfire but also OJs and Rictas. Not Bones. I was referring to used wheels. Whenever I put old used wheels back on they always seem to ride slower and less smooth. I feel like wheels degrade overtime. I never used unused wheels that were older than one year so I can’t comment on using unused old wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5571 on: August 18, 2022, 05:23:54 PM »

Overall F1 were a reasonable quality wheel, but I would definitely take Formula Four over anything and everything else.

I still have some "Park burners" and harder "Street burners" on boards and they roll fine, feeling a bit more like the original formula wheels, but still more prone to flatspots or other issues, when compared to F4s.

That alone is a reason they discontinued them.

Are they just the generic blue bighead graphic or something else?

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #5572 on: August 18, 2022, 06:16:41 PM »
They're these guys in 56mm.

They've discoloured from bright blue to a strange teal greenish colour.

Might just put em on a cruiser and ride around. I don't think I'll be skating them seriously. I like the F4 too much.

*oops image didn't work

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5573 on: August 18, 2022, 06:53:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe they're 56mm wide?
[close]

[close]

[close]

I thought I saw somewhere that they still make limited runs of the OG 95a and 97a wheels with the same compound in the same molds and even the same dudes making them as they did way back in the day, but only for those special edition wheels now, with everything else including all the new normal 60mm Slimeballs and Elites being made in China.

They might be some of those ones.

Like this:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/ojii-elite-combo-95a-white-skateboard-wheels-60mm-p16656

Was this what you had:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/ojii-elite-mini-combo-95a-orange-skateboard-wheels-56mm-p38333

Yeh, exactly. I’ve got the orange ones. Really decent wheel that made winters in a slippery skatelite park way safer and more fun.

I noticed the different innermost part at a well stocked shop that had just gotten an NHS shipment in late 2019, I think. I’ve got a bad case of rosy retrospection when it comes to late 80’s Speed Wheels, and really like the idea of the “original formula”.  However, I’ve heard for years that the old formulas are just too toxic to make nowadays - which makes me think they’d be using them in the China factory, where safety and environmental concerns are a bit more, well, 35 years behind.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5574 on: August 18, 2022, 07:00:07 PM »

I like the idea, but do they re-purpose the wheels as a set of 4? Or are they mixing and matching the wheels, since it looks like they are just pulling wheels out of the cart at randrom?

You could end up with 4 wheels of different formulas, some with cored / non-cored, and mixed colors.

Seeing Karl Watson on Ventures makes me happy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #5575 on: August 18, 2022, 07:09:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like the idea, but do they re-purpose the wheels as a set of 4? Or are they mixing and matching the wheels, since it looks like they are just pulling wheels out of the cart at randrom?

You could end up with 4 wheels of different formulas, some with cored / non-cored, and mixed colors.

from the video it seems like they are all cored with the original wheel and then have 101 urethane poured around them, that's what i'm taking away at least. i do agree that there's still a lot of wiggle room here, especially after hearing about the recent bones cored v non cored. curious about this though regardless

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5576 on: August 18, 2022, 07:14:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

from the video it seems like they are all cored with the original wheel and then have 101 urethane poured around them, that's what i'm taking away at least. i do agree that there's still a lot of wiggle room here, especially after hearing about the recent bones cored v non cored. curious about this though regardless
I mean I have no intention of actually using the satori wheels they make haha. I guess it just feels better putting them to use here than tossing them although I guess giving them to a kid might be a better option.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #5577 on: August 18, 2022, 07:27:36 PM »
Any of you mad men ever attempt to shave and reshape old wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5578 on: August 18, 2022, 08:07:57 PM »
Any of you mad men ever attempt to shave and reshape old wheels.

The two options, depending on how rough and raw you want to do them with an angle grinder, or how much access you have to a lathe.

I don't have access to a lathe like the first post from a friend who does, but I can still get things done, even at a skatepark, as per the second post, which was from a while back now.

Conical Full wheels usually grind down nicely to what could be closer to Radial or Classic edge shape, especially in the bigger sizes, but I also took some Conical shaped wheels down to Radial Slims for a special order as well, as per third post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFjeLGPFwzS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0CfVwoFjEp/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcFV17LJ0Sx/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5579 on: August 18, 2022, 11:21:44 PM »
Knew ole @Mbrimson88 was going to chime in, love the custom Radial Slim he cut for me
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m