Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778112 times)

OldManSkate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #660 on: June 08, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
Anybody try Pusher Wheels before?

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #661 on: June 08, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How do fools rock 101a? Slides around on parks, and feels every bump when it's rough. Can anyone explain, because I've never understood the appeal? 99a only for me.
[close]

Two words: Backside Powerslides. Sure, I can do them on 99s but without 101s I'd probably wouldn't have learnt them...
[close]

I also did my first BS slide on 101s. Also, I don't know how to explain it.. But 101s just feel good to ride. As long as the streets aren't too shitty, you feel like you roll faster, and being so connected to the pavement makes me feel more in control somehow.
[close]

I feel like the wider surface of conical fulls helps with shitty ground. I was hauling ass yesterday and I went so fast i got speed wobbles (on flat) and I have never felt as cool as that moment although I probably looked like an idiot
[close]
What does hauling ass have to do with wider wheels going over shitty ground.

I mean I do think wider wheels handle rough terrain better but I've also pushed this fast (see video below) down the street with spitfire classics and they were just fine.

2:39 to see the speed i was talking about.

I feel like they both help you go over stuff, the speed helps you get over stuff. Like when you go slow you can fall over a crack and when you have speed you go over them. The wider surface helps compensate uneven ground.

It could honestly be the Spitfire marketing getting to me
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #662 on: June 09, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »
to me, wide wheels can get a lil wacky when you're sliding through lipslides and whatnot, whereas regular wheels you can 'direct' the slide direction/speed a lil more. 

I think of hockey skates vs. figure skates ... hockey skates are meant for control, but theyre not gonna put you on your ass from a dead stop, whereas figure skates allow someone to stop/turn on a dime. 

I'm no scientist though.

hardly art, hardly starving

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #663 on: June 12, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »
I bought these spittys in Japan and had never seen the 101s with a green logo. It might be all in my head but they seem like a different formula? Catch a bit more on slides and tend to chip and shit. Can someone confirm there legit and rest my head?

Edit: Fuck I dunno how to post the image from iPhone sorry guys
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:58:10 PM by JumpManShorty »

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #664 on: June 12, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »
I bought these spittys in Japan and had never seen the 101s with a green logo. It might be all in my head but they seem like a different formula? Catch a bit more on slides and tend to chip and shit. Can someone confirm there legit and rest my head?

I've seen green logo'd spits before, I'm pretty sure they're real.. Have you ridden the conicals before? Could be why they feel different.

kook nukem

« Reply #665 on: June 12, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »
Been using 56mm Spitfire 80HDs on my cruiser recently. Seriously perfect cruiser wheel. Soft enough for cushioning out the bumps, but not so soft it feels like a longboard. 56mm allows you to roll over some shit but still pop some ollies up curbs.

JumpManShorty

« Reply #666 on: June 12, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've seen green logo'd spits before, I'm pretty sure they're real.. Have you ridden the conicals before? Could be why they feel different.

Ok cool. Yeah rode a red pair of conicals last time. My shit bearings probably don't help

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #667 on: June 12, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »
Are there any differences in speed between wide/skinny wheels? My spitfire 99 f4s sometimes feel a little bit sluggish, could a different shape make a difference, what other wheels are known to be quite fast?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #668 on: June 12, 2017, 10:39:54 PM »
Been using 56mm Spitfire 80HDs on my cruiser recently. Seriously perfect cruiser wheel. Soft enough for cushioning out the bumps, but not so soft it feels like a longboard. 56mm allows you to roll over some shit but still pop some ollies up curbs.

Just watch the cores on them, i've seem plenty of people complaining in the past few months of spitfires soft wheels just falling apart

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #669 on: June 13, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »
Are there any differences in speed between wide/skinny wheels? My spitfire 99 f4s sometimes feel a little bit sluggish, could a different shape make a difference, what other wheels are known to be quite fast?

Rolling friction

This is commonly considered in engineering, a wider wheel tends to roll slower than a same diameter but thinner wheel would roll. This is why racing bikes have super thin wheels. Since skating is not done on super smooth surfaces only, skateboard wheels need to be a bit wide to compensate for ground imperfections.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #670 on: June 14, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
I finally got around t skate some formula 4s (99a 54mm classics)  definitely the best wheel out, slide super well and have such a controlled slide but also grip really good and dont make me slip on parks.

Also, the best cruise/filmer wheels by far are the OJ keyframes, those wheels are light years ahead of other cruiser wheels

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #671 on: June 15, 2017, 03:57:32 AM »
I finally got around t skate some formula 4s (99a 54mm classics)  definitely the best wheel out, slide super well and have such a controlled slide but also grip really good and dont make me slip on parks.

Also, the best cruise/filmer wheels by far are the OJ keyframes, those wheels are light years ahead of other cruiser wheels
I know I've said this before but if you like F4 Classics then maybe try Wayward slim cuts. I know it's a new brand and Spits are well known/good but these are good wheels. Made in the states and they feel very similar to formula 4s in both the slideability and the grip which is rare, at least to me. In my experience, wheels either feel a little more slippery than I'd like such as Bones STfs or too sticky like Rita NRGs (Please don't stone me Xen and/or Steve! Waywards and Formula 4s are the only wheels I've skated in recent memory that had a perfect balance. I just like way Waywards slide just a hair more.

The only real differences I can tell is that my Waywards seem easier to make slide at slower speeds but at higher speeds they seem to grip just as well formula 4s and these Waywards have a slightly  crisper slide where as the F4s are barkier.

So far the only thing I can see that would make these Waywards not perfect, other than a premature flatspot, is if the wheels turn to that nasty ass yellow color but if they continue to skate this good, then I couldn't give a shit!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I know I've said this before but if you like F4 Classics then maybe try Wayward slim cuts. I know it's a new brand and Spits are well known/good but these are good wheels. Made in the states and they feel very similar to formula 4s in both the slideability and the grip which is rare, at least to me. In my experience, wheels either feel a little more slippery than I'd like such as Bones STfs or too sticky like Rita NRGs (Please don't stone me Xen and/or Steve! Waywards and Formula 4s are the only wheels I've skated in recent memory that had a perfect balance. I just like way Waywards slide just a hair more.

The only real differences I can tell is that my Waywards seem easier to make slide at slower speeds but at higher speeds they seem to grip just as well formula 4s and these Waywards have a slightly  crisper slide where as the F4s are barkier.

So far the only thing I can see that would make these Waywards not perfect, other than a premature flatspot, is if the wheels turn to that nasty ass yellow color but if they continue to skate this good, then I couldn't give a shit!

I'm still riding my wayward slims, and agree they're right up there with F4s and they don't show signs of yellowing (a big deal for some people).

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #673 on: June 26, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
Anyone have feedback on the Insane-a-thanes?
Heard good things from someone the other day but I haven't riden OJ's since the 90's.

thebacker

« Reply #674 on: June 26, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just watch the cores on them, i've seem plenty of people complaining in the past few months of spitfires soft wheels just falling apart
I've seen it in person with a friend's set

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #675 on: June 26, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »
Heard good things from someone the other day but I haven't riden OJ's since the 90's.

I tried the 99a. To me they felt similar to SPF's. Fast, hard, unforgiving on the streets, good slip-to-grip ratio. Just nowhere near as durable--mine were chipped bad within the first week and they coned way worse than other wheels.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #676 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried the 99a. To me they felt similar to SPF's. Fast, hard, unforgiving on the streets, good slip-to-grip ratio. Just nowhere near as durable--mine were chipped bad within the first week and they coned way worse than other wheels.

Doesn't sound good, I'll stick with F4's, thanks.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #677 on: June 27, 2017, 03:40:14 AM »
Has anyone skated the Wayward 99 fulls?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Doesn't sound good, I'll stick with F4's, thanks.

I've only ridden the 101 insane-a-thanes, both the ez edge and hardline shape (the latter being my choice), I like them, especially in a park setting as noted above, they are unforgivingly fucking hard, super fast, slide and grip well. They feel like ricta chrome core urethane (but don't flatspot like they did) and feel totally opposite of the the 'US made OJs' which feel a bit softer, like F4s do compared to STF/SPFs.

I prefer to haul ass in a park setting and only hard wheels feel like the do the job. 53mm OJ hardlines insane-a-thane w/G3 bronsons feel way faster than 54mm spfs w/swiss six,

JumpManShorty

« Reply #679 on: July 01, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
What do you guys recommend for a winter wheel? Rainy winter not Cali winter

Zimmer

« Reply #680 on: July 01, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »

99a F4s! Ridden them in the rain and cold plenty of times, they handle things just fine

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #681 on: July 02, 2017, 06:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

99a F4s! Ridden them in the rain and cold plenty of times, they handle things just fine
100% agree, they perform really well in the cold compared to other wheels

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #682 on: July 03, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
I've only ridden the 101 insane-a-thanes, both the ez edge and hardline shape (the latter being my choice), I like them, especially in a park setting as noted above, they are unforgivingly fucking hard, super fast, slide and grip well. They feel like ricta chrome core urethane (but don't flatspot like they did) and feel totally opposite of the the 'US made OJs' which feel a bit softer, like F4s do compared to STF/SPFs.

I prefer to haul ass in a park setting and only hard wheels feel like the do the job. 53mm OJ hardlines insane-a-thane w/G3 bronsons feel way faster than 54mm spfs w/swiss six,

I really liked the Insane a Thane feel more than the 'normal' OJ compound, whatever the heck that is called.

To your point about unforgiving hard, just for shits and giggles I bought a set of Autobahn price points (I totally forget what they're called but they're thin shaped) and they felt like the hardest wheel I've ever skated. And slide for days...it felt like I was skating on banana peels wrapped around my wheels.

There are so many more wheel options than just Spitfire. Everyone gets so locked into one way of thinking. If Spitfires work for you, that's rad! But there are so many great choices right now on the market. I get that most of them are coming from the same urethane shop but I still go out of my way to not buy Spitfire wheels.

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #683 on: July 03, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
I wish so dearly that DLX made 60mm+ F4s. Can anybody recommend a bigger wheel that slides as well as an F4 or even close
 to it?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: July 03, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »
I wish so dearly that DLX made 60mm+ F4s. Can anybody recommend a bigger wheel that slides as well as an F4 or even close
 to it?

It's not 60mm+ but the 55mm waywards are going to be your best bet.

https://www.waywardwheels.com/collections/wheels/products/pinnacle-wheel-brophy-55

PEople hate on them, but regular formula OJs aren't half bad; I find them to feel slow, exactly the same feeling I get when skating F4s or Waywards (I like crazy hard wheels).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:34:26 PM by Xen »

Zimmer

« Reply #685 on: July 03, 2017, 04:34:25 PM »
I've got some 58mm 99a F4s, that pretty close!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: July 03, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:38:34 PM by Xen »

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #687 on: July 03, 2017, 05:05:21 PM »
^ Been on those for a while, hoping it's not as good as it gets but it might be

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #688 on: July 07, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
Hey is it me or do bearing spacers slow you down ? They silent the roll but make your wheels slower.

Went back to try my favorite spit classic 99a this time without bearing spacers and they rolled way smoother and faster.

I think the hype on spacers was only with the race reds
yes

Zimmer

« Reply #689 on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »
Hey is it me or do bearing spacers slow you down ? They silent the roll but make your wheels slower.

Went back to try my favorite spit classic 99a this time without bearing spacers and they rolled way smoother and faster.

I think the hype on spacers was only with the race reds

Spacers are for longboarders who regularly go past 60mph.