Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778595 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5430 on: August 09, 2022, 05:52:52 PM »
Any guesses on the factory these USA MADE swirl wheels from TGM what other brands use them?

https://tgmskateboards.com/blank-skateboard-wheels-swirl-99a-usa-made-black-orange-52mm-x-31mm/

I don't know enough about certain wheel factories, but Creative Urethane seems to be the main one, USA based that makes a ton of wheels for every market, from blanks right through to pro brand wheels and all shapes, sizes, duros, even colours so that would be my guess.

Totally a guess though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5431 on: August 09, 2022, 10:26:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Does the skater in you actually want to be able to do the grinds and slides required to actually test these wheels? I mean, it literally took me less than 6 clicks on my phone and you accidentally exposing the fact that you haven't (and maybe can't) do the stuff required to draw the strong conclusions that you're drawing.

That's just the "I hate bullshit propagated without evidence" in me.
[close]
I

Dude you come off as a know it all, smug asshole. Most of the Pals here are whiny self righteous Redditors but God damn dude you really take the cake. Many people on here have given their opinions on these wheels, and I'm not saying they're perfect, but you wanna flex that "I'm a real skater shit" and call out people for their gear choices and abilities like that shit matters. People have different experiences with the same gear all the time. Go ahead and look through my post history and try to shit fling IDGAF, that kind of stuff is just straight up bitch made behavior and shows how much of a terminally online dork you are.

The person I was calling out was making claims about a product that they couldn't and didn't adequately test. This thread comes up when you Google the product in question. People reading those glowing reviews won't realize it's from one person over and over.

Then those of us that had a negative thing to say get drowned out and told they grind fine, by someone that admits to not doing grinds with them.

I clicked their profile cuz I was curious about how long they've been posting and if there was posts I missed that might back up their claims. I found it curious that in 5 months this poster has tried more wheels than most people who skate ever will. This same poster seems to be realllllly nitpicking wheels. So often that it's kinda hard for me to trust a firm opinion. I would get this if there was something to go along with it.

It's not about being the best, but you likely have to have a certain awareness, proficiency, and basic ability before it matters. It's like the YouTubers who do review of products, such as shoes, comment about the flick, but can't consistently land a kickflip. That person isn't even at a level where a shoe's flick matters yet. A person commenting about a wheel being "great for everything" but doesn't grind or really give details isn't someone I trust. I didn't question anyone else because they didn't make such detailed, bold claims. Id respect the person more for just saying "ya I really like the way they ride and I enjoy them more than _____"

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #5432 on: August 10, 2022, 06:50:00 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #5433 on: August 10, 2022, 07:00:34 AM »
Dragon is an awful name and AndAnd is not enough to motivate me to try Powell/Bones again. Havent skated Bones since a set of STFs in 2012. They gotta do better to pull me. More lesbians on the team, more little characters, fuller shapes, change the annoying angle they take product photos at that doesn't reveal the shape whatsoever and obscures the graphic

Edit
Im serious about the lesbians. Im skating a set of Breezy conical fulls rn
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5434 on: August 10, 2022, 07:08:25 AM »
Dragon is an awful name and AndAnd is not enough to motivate me to try Powell/Bones again. Havent skated Bones since a set of STFs in 2012. They gotta do better to pull me. More lesbians on the team, more little characters, fuller shapes, change the annoying angle they take product photos at that doesn't reveal the shape whatsoever and obscures the graphic

Edit

Was hoping at least the bones (95a & 97a) will have a normal name like soft slide formula, but no, they're the "Formula X".
Skate one is weird. Looking through their website, it seems like they really don't want to reach people under 40 anyway

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 17
« Reply #5435 on: August 10, 2022, 07:59:26 AM »

Edit

I thought the lesbians thing was a serious joke, but after some thinking and googling I can't come up with a lesbian skater that's not riding Spitfires

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #5436 on: August 10, 2022, 08:46:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Edit
[close]

Was hoping at least the bones (95a & 97a) will have a normal name like soft slide formula, but no, they're the "Formula X".
Skate one is weird. Looking through their website, it seems like they really don't want to reach people under 40 anyway

Formula x isn’t any worse than formula 4  it’s better than dragon. Dragon sounds like what would be cool to a 40 something weekend warrior type. I say that as a 37 year old who gets the bulk of their sessions in on the weekend.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5437 on: August 10, 2022, 08:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit
[close]

[close]

Formula x isn’t any worse than formula 4  it’s better than dragon. Dragon sounds like what would be cool to a 40 something weekend warrior type. I say that as a 37 year old who gets the bulk of their sessions in on the weekend.

I'm a 49 year old who gets the bulk of sessions on the weekend, and my first Powell board was a Mike V Elephant in 1988.   

Dragons is a dumb name.  Full stop.   But I have a set because I don't really care that much about the name.

Powell art / marketing baffles me.   As Neil Blender said in Footage - "It's 1990 boys. Let's get rid of the skeletons."    Sure, keep one graphic in each of the sizes that is the ripper or skull/sword to be your heritage line - but why are their current pros all getting a skeleton on their board and having one graphic per year?  I like flight decks.  I think their mold that they are using on the 8.0-8.5 popsicles works well.  I think their graphic department suuuuuuuuuckkkks.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5438 on: August 10, 2022, 09:39:45 AM »
I have the wheels, they're good, and along with Swiss bearings are the only bit of Powell-Peralta which I own or would ever consider buying. That said, I appreciate the marketing, the skulls and the same graphics for a decade at a time - it's obviously working for them. If they went and hired some young buck designer from RISD or Parsons to freshen up their image, would anyone care? It would only alienate their current clientele of weirdos, and I can say for certain that no one who collects complete sets of Baker decks or rides a Sci-Fi board is suddenly going to start caring about Powell after three decades. They'd probably do better if they started selling blank Flight Decks.

They could certainly do something to freshen up the image of Bones, which literally was spun off from Powell to attract riders outside of the Powell universe and did a halfway decent job of it for about a decade before Spitfire just lapped them.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5439 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:31 AM »
I have the wheels, they're good, and along with Swiss bearings are the only bit of Powell-Peralta which I own or would ever consider buying. That said, I appreciate the marketing, the skulls and the same graphics for a decade at a time - it's obviously working for them. If they went and hired some young buck designer from RISD or Parsons to freshen up their image, would anyone care? It would only alienate their current clientele of weirdos, and I can say for certain that no one who collects complete sets of Baker decks or rides a Sci-Fi board is suddenly going to start caring about Powell after three decades. They'd probably do better if they started selling blank Flight Decks.

They could certainly do something to freshen up the image of Bones, which literally was spun off from Powell to attract riders outside of the Powell universe and did a halfway decent job of it for about a decade before Spitfire just lapped them.
They tried to innovate their graphics once and fucked up and created half of the World art department. Feels like there's been a never again policy since.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5440 on: August 10, 2022, 11:42:05 AM »
I had Powell Dragons on a Sci Fi and a Killing Floor.

Also, I know Powell has had the Dragon for a long time, but did anyone realize that by calling the wheels "Dragons" they gave it the name of a create that spits fire? Subtle jab?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5441 on: August 10, 2022, 12:13:16 PM »
Yes, pages ago.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3824610;topicseen#msg3824610

Semantics: Dragon's would breathe fire, not spit it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:37:54 AM by Xen »

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5442 on: August 10, 2022, 12:24:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They tried to innovate their graphics once and fucked up and created half of the World art department. Feels like there's been a never again policy since.

If you're talking about Angel Boy... I actually have a soft spot for those decks. A lot of them were awful, but some of them had a bit of charm to them. I would rather skate an Angel Boy deck than a dragon deck personally.

I never bought one but I would look at them and go "ah okay that's kinda neat I guess".

Their logo isn't even that bad... They could have some decks in the style of their logo and put something decent out. I just can't stand the dragons and skeletons and swords. It's seriously some of the worst art in skateboarding imo.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5443 on: August 10, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »
It was bold of Powell to put a dead child on their boards. Very metal.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5444 on: August 10, 2022, 01:04:24 PM »
I (still) like skulls and skeletons but I won't buy anything from Powell or Bones. Too many bad experiences with Mini Logo decks and Reds. But I am not saying they are bad products or anything, they just didn't hold up that well for me. Buy whatever you like, it's your money.
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5445 on: August 10, 2022, 01:53:42 PM »
I still dig skulls and bones, Powell, zero, TECHNÊ….way better than 90% of the hipster clip art dogshit everyone uses these days.

Bones fell from grace, after years and years at the top, with the the release of the F4s and haven’t been able to bounce back.

Their marketing is no better or worse than the flame boy wannabe spit logo…the team however, doesn’t hold a candle to the spitfire crew, especially when it comes to ‘current’ skaters in the spotlight….soty winners…you think gravette or decenzo are selling wheels?

Maybe the bones x formula in 95/97a might get some traction, but &&, rog and that hick with the YouTube channel aren’t going to drive sales from the core market.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:51:55 PM by Xen »

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #5446 on: August 10, 2022, 02:00:32 PM »
I still dig skulls and bones, Powell, zero, tenche….way better than 90% of the hipster clip art dogshit everyone uses these days.

What are you talking about man, doodles that look like they were done by a fucking 3 year old are so rad

Seriously can't stand that shit for real. Give me some real, quality psychedelic art

https://www.totemical.com/

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5447 on: August 10, 2022, 02:12:18 PM »
I still dig skulls and bones, Powell, zero, tenche….way better than 90% of the hipster clip art dogshit everyone uses these days.

Bones fell from grace, after years and years at the top, with the the release of the F4s and haven’t been able to bounce back.

Their marketing is no better or worse than the flame boy wannabe spit logo…the team however, doesn’t hold a candle to the spitfire crew, especially when it comes to ‘current’ skaters in the spotlight….soty winners…you think gravette or decenzo are selling wheels?

Maybe the bones x formula in 95/97a might get some traction, but &&, rog and that hick with the YouTube channel aren’t going to drive sales from the core market.

I like skeletons, monsters, and stuff (Zero, Toy Machine, Blind, World Industries, late 90s Birdhouse). But how Powell does them is so unappealing to me.

I also really like Spitfires aesthetic too. The eternals look sooooo good while rolling especially. Great design.

Just something about those illustrations are so boring. And they have no sense of color to them. The classic Ripper drawing is pretty cool, but I wouldn't want it on a board or a wheel. Maybe a shirt.

Like I think my complaint is... More detail does not mean better art. I don't care how detailed and technically talented your illustration is if the overall piece is uninspired.

On the flip side look at how great the Anti Hero space junk art is. Has some detail, but not overboard. It says something and looks pretty in the process. Very inspired. https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/antihero-taylor-space-junk-deck-8-50/

It's got white space that lets the details pop. An amazing sense of color. And some contrast to make that color pop. It's not just a whole entire deck of lines and details like Powell does.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5448 on: August 10, 2022, 02:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

If you're talking about Angel Boy... I actually have a soft spot for those decks. A lot of them were awful, but some of them had a bit of charm to them. I would rather skate an Angel Boy deck than a dragon deck personally.

I never bought one but I would look at them and go "ah okay that's kinda neat I guess".

Their logo isn't even that bad... They could have some decks in the style of their logo and put something decent out. I just can't stand the dragons and skeletons and swords. It's seriously some of the worst art in skateboarding imo.
Nah I was talking about how Powell hired Cliver outta art school. Rocco specifically scooped him because he liked the Ray Barbee Ragdoll graphic. Like 18 months later, you've got Dear George.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5449 on: August 10, 2022, 05:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are you talking about man, doodles that look like they were done by a fucking 3 year old are so rad

Seriously can't stand that shit for real. Give me some real, quality psychedelic art

https://www.totemical.com/

Still one of my favorite runs. I don't dig AH 'pigeon' graphics, or that 'comic' style they use, but this was top tier and exactly what I'm talking about. The fucking asshole graphics, amazing. The BIG SQUARE, the clip art...they successfully bashed 90% of the industry graphics at the time in one run. "Boutique" Bloody Brilliant.

I do, however, like their 'flyer' style.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5450 on: August 10, 2022, 05:48:01 PM »
Quick green dragon review

Size: bigger than most
Style: carvy/pushy
Type: 56mm
Deck: 8.6
Trucks: new ace 55

These are not F4 replacements. There is a lack of connection with the ground. They also don’t power slide as good but are icy on metal ramps.

They are faster, for me, than F4 but I may just be used to softer wheels.

They remind me of my rough riders just a little harder.

You can dig your nail in. They are a true 93a.

I think I’m gonna love um’ but I’m 44. If I were 22 no way I would use these as my primary. I may even move them over to my Dane 1 which I running rough riders on.

Verdict: great cruiser old skool wheel. Can’t see skating ledges with them. I even think I would prefer slappies with Spitfire’s but I skated a park with metal ramps.

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #5451 on: August 10, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »

Edit

YES

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5452 on: August 11, 2022, 01:17:10 PM »
Bones X Formula 95 and 97 now pushed until October.  V5 shape in the drop.

Source: Kam at SkateOne

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
« Reply #5453 on: August 11, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
Quick green dragon review

Size: bigger than most
Style: carvy/pushy
Type: 56mm
Deck: 8.6
Trucks: new ace 55

These are not F4 replacements. There is a lack of connection with the ground. They also don’t power slide as good but are icy on metal ramps.

They are faster, for me, than F4 but I may just be used to softer wheels.

They remind me of my rough riders just a little harder.

You can dig your nail in. They are a true 93a.

I think I’m gonna love um’ but I’m 44. If I were 22 no way I would use these as my primary. I may even move them over to my Dane 1 which I running rough riders on.

Verdict: great cruiser old skool wheel. Can’t see skating ledges with them. I even think I would prefer slappies with Spitfire’s but I skated a park with metal ramps.

i tried my set today and i skate ledges alot. they work great, cant see me going back to f4 99 again :S

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5454 on: August 11, 2022, 01:35:45 PM »

Man, that's far....but V5, fuck yea!

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5455 on: August 11, 2022, 04:04:02 PM »

Will more than likely try the 95 or 97a. Especially cause v5 is the best wheel shape.i debate on putting a counter sink on my f4 classics to try and mimic it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5456 on: August 11, 2022, 04:06:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Will more than likely try the 95 or 97a. Especially cause v5 is the best wheel shape.i debate on putting a counter sink on my f4 classics to try and mimic it.

Yes.

Ricta 'mids' are close in shape to the V5.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5457 on: August 11, 2022, 06:03:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 95a are really good, zero complaints with my prototype set, not sure if I could go back to F4 or NFG after these. I'd try a set of the 97a out of curiosity, but right now the 95a is the truth for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5458 on: August 11, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The 95a are really good, zero complaints with my prototype set, not sure if I could go back to F4 or NFG after these. I'd try a set of the 97a out of curiosity, but right now the 95a is the truth for me.

From the reviews I’ve seen on here. I feel like 95a or 97a will be the Goldilocks wheel for me.  I’m excited to try them.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5459 on: August 11, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm curious, were your prototypes with or without a core/hub?

With the hub the 95a were usable, but struggled with pebbles/cracks more than a typical wheel should. The 97a (with hub) struggled even worse. I would say my 97a were basically unusable outside of smooth spots due to how hard they were. Essentially a gimmick wheel (but really fun in the spots they did work). The 97a were probably the fastest wheel I've skated? Just not many spots I can skate them with around here. Weirdly enough they had an AMAZING revert/spin... but they really struggled with powerslides for some reason? Very strange.

If anyone wants to trade for my lightly used hubbed 54mm 95a and 97a prototypes, pop me a DM. I also have 52mm V2 (lock-ins) in 93a and 90a (both with cores) still in plastic that I would trade as well.