Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777986 times)

FirstBlood82 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #5880 on: November 19, 2022, 12:21:27 AM »
wow. dragons didnt pique my interest too much but im all over these big ones

For sure!

I think a slightly more versatile Rat Bones wheel would be really good, so yeah I would still have them on my big cruiser, as per a couple of sets on boards I have right now, but they can also be skated a bit more normally in a park or on a slippery half pipe or something too.

Anything in that size goes well for that sort of thing, on the boards I have them on.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #5881 on: November 19, 2022, 01:15:11 AM »
Putting on some 25 year old 52mm  Spitfires for a crusty session today, my lil Smokies are too small. What do you think, did the formula change since 1997 or will there have been some process going on altering them over time?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5882 on: November 19, 2022, 08:05:21 AM »
Putting on some 25 year old 52mm  Spitfires for a crusty session today, my lil Smokies are too small. What do you think, did the formula change since 1997 or will there have been some process going on altering them over time?

quoting myself but I thought you gear heads might enjoy a few pics of 25 year old wheels. I copped them in 1997 in San Diego, but stopped skating soon after so they are still in good shape. I took them for a ride today and they are fine, just feel like monster truck wheels compared to the lil'Smokies, and are twice as heavy. But the black/yellow swirl goes perfect with the Ishod graphic.

why come?

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5883 on: November 19, 2022, 12:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

quoting myself but I thought you gear heads might enjoy a few pics of 25 year old wheels. I copped them in 1997 in San Diego, but stopped skating soon after so they are still in good shape. I took them for a ride today and they are fine, just feel like monster truck wheels compared to the lil'Smokies, and are twice as heavy. But the black/yellow swirl goes perfect with the Ishod graphic.

I'm a sucker for NOS gear and it's cool to see they're still skate able but most importantly.....how do they actually skate?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5884 on: November 19, 2022, 02:14:47 PM »

I'm a sucker for NOS gear and it's cool to see they're still skate able but most importantly.....how do they actually skate?

I only had one session, on decent surface. They skated well, great for manuals due to the large surface of the wheel. They seem quite hard. Took getting used to but I managed to do my tricks, flips take more effort than the lil Smokies but that‘s because of the weight.

I set them up for a crusty spot but that spot was still wet today so I can‘t tell yet how well they handle crust. I‘ll take them to the slappy curb tomorrow, curious to see how they do.
why come?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5885 on: November 19, 2022, 03:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only had one session, on decent surface. They skated well, great for manuals due to the large surface of the wheel. They seem quite hard. Took getting used to but I managed to do my tricks, flips take more effort than the lil Smokies but that‘s because of the weight.

I set them up for a crusty spot but that spot was still wet today so I can‘t tell yet how well they handle crust. I‘ll take them to the slappy curb tomorrow, curious to see how they do.

The older "very well cured" wheels of many brands, but definitely Spitfire OG formula are great like that.

New ones are so prone to flat spots or other issues, but very old well worn wheels I have are so good.

They would be quite fun on everything, if you can deal with the bigger size, shape, weight, etc.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #5886 on: November 21, 2022, 12:44:08 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the wheels out of Generator? Curious to hear how they preform.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5887 on: November 21, 2022, 12:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The older "very well cured" wheels of many brands, but definitely Spitfire OG formula are great like that.

New ones are so prone to flat spots or other issues, but very old well worn wheels I have are so good.

They would be quite fun on everything, if you can deal with the bigger size, shape, weight, etc.

I am ashamed to admit that I am struggling quite a bit with them but not because they are old, but they are so big and heavy compared to the 46 - 48 mm wheels I was running for the last year. I hope I will adjust but I feel flip tricks take so much more effort, I actually had sore legs after my daily routine which was not the case on the small wheels. And when I say big I am talking about 52s.  >:(
why come?

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5888 on: November 21, 2022, 01:17:37 PM »
for anyone that has the experience, how do spitfire 101s feel compared to loophole/nfg? i've always stuck to the 99s when i buy spitfire, but those lil smokies have been tempting lately

I got a set of 51 classic 101 on my 8’ deck, get that lil smokies, you wont regret. Exceptional wheels

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5889 on: November 21, 2022, 04:27:37 PM »

I am ashamed to admit that I am struggling quite a bit with them but not because they are old, but they are so big and heavy compared to the 46 - 48 mm wheels I was running for the last year. I hope I will adjust but I feel flip tricks take so much more effort, I actually had sore legs after my daily routine which was not the case on the small wheels. And when I say big I am talking about 52s.  >:(

I do feel your pain there.

We all used to skate such big wheels back then, more so in the not so tech realm, which is why I have a few boards that are much the same in everything else, only different wheels, some at about 50mm, others in between but always one up 56+ just more so as my "Go fast board" and it is a beast.

That is where swaps and trades come into it, but if you don't have those options where you are, it is a bit limiting.  Someone I know always wants bigger wheels, so I can swap with them and get the wheels back when they are down a few mm, which to me is perfect - slightly smaller wider profile being what I prefer.

Good luck with them, but maybe swap back for your old ones or source some more.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5890 on: November 21, 2022, 10:47:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do feel your pain there.

We all used to skate such big wheels back then, more so in the not so tech realm, which is why I have a few boards that are much the same in everything else, only different wheels, some at about 50mm, others in between but always one up 56+ just more so as my "Go fast board" and it is a beast.

That is where swaps and trades come into it, but if you don't have those options where you are, it is a bit limiting.  Someone I know always wants bigger wheels, so I can swap with them and get the wheels back when they are down a few mm, which to me is perfect - slightly smaller wider profile being what I prefer.

Good luck with them, but maybe swap back for your old ones or source some more.

Cheers, I will give them a few more sessions to see what happens… btw I got a perfect fakie heel on them yesterday. Anyway I have ordered some new 52 Spitfires on sale so when they arrive I will see how they compare to their old siblings.
why come?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5891 on: November 21, 2022, 10:53:55 PM »
I was hoping I could try some F4 OG classics on sale but it seems they are out of season right now.

Anyone have any new 56+mm OG they would want to trade for some new 56mm Conical Fulls 99a?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #5892 on: November 22, 2022, 12:51:01 AM »
I was hoping I could try some F4 OG classics on sale but it seems they are out of season right now.

Anyone have any new 56+mm OG they would want to trade for some new 56mm Conical Fulls 99a?
the difference is honestly not big enough to be worth swapping

but then again it’s slap

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5893 on: November 22, 2022, 06:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
the difference is honestly not big enough to be worth swapping

but then again it’s slap

You're right but CFs start getting really wide at 56mm. Too much for me. I think OG also have a deeper cut which takes off weight (and looks really sick).

I've got Dragons for crust... So if I'm skating somewhere that can take hard wheels, I might as well have a bit narrower wheel for at least some chance at learning something more tech.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5894 on: November 22, 2022, 06:13:29 AM »
For those switching wheels often, how do you avoid having to rethread the axles everytime?
why come?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #5895 on: November 22, 2022, 06:15:57 AM »
For those switching wheels often, how do you avoid having to rethread the axles everytime?

Always having the nut flush with the axle ends by using speedrings

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5896 on: November 22, 2022, 07:21:45 AM »

I was recently on the hunt for some F4 OG Classics as well. When I asked a shop if they would be getting more of those wheels I was told “They won’t be making any more of those until spring 2023”.

I have nothing to trade but good luck to ya.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5897 on: November 22, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.   I never have threads showing.  I usually do two speedrings on the inside and one on the out on Indy and Thunder.  Ace may need 4 total rings.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #5898 on: November 22, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was recently on the hunt for some F4 OG Classics as well. When I asked a shop if they would be getting more of those wheels I was told “They won’t be making any more of those until spring 2023”.

I have nothing to trade but good luck to ya.

Ah, thanks a ton! And great username.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zn5o-gxtFA

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5899 on: November 22, 2022, 08:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This.   I never have threads showing.  I usually do two speedrings on the inside and one on the out on Indy and Thunder.  Ace may need 4 total rings.

Same, speed rings save axles. Usually have 3 on the inside, 1 on the outside on each side, never needed to rethread
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #5900 on: November 22, 2022, 08:36:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Same, speed rings save axles. Usually have 3 on the inside, 1 on the outside on each side, never needed to rethread

When you say “speedring” do you mean a washer? Or something different? A thicc washer?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5901 on: November 22, 2022, 08:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

When you say “speedring” do you mean a washer? Or something different? A thicc washer?

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #5902 on: November 22, 2022, 09:00:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I just always called them washers. I really need to try this because my threads get fucked way before I can grind to the axle.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5903 on: November 22, 2022, 03:53:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I just always called them washers. I really need to try this because my threads get fucked way before I can grind to the axle.

Some shops have spares you can buy, but most don't seem to have any.

If you have old trucks, take them off those to use in your current set, otherwise there are sets of 50 or 100 on ebay you can buy, which should last a lifetime, or you can spread the love and share them among your friends.

Key words are: skateboard  axle  washers  speed  rings

I just put "ebay skateboard rings" in google and lots came up.

There are three listings, which I think ship globally from China, so anywhere in the world you should be set, if your local didn't have any.  Might take a while to get to you, but they are fairly cheap and will only need one purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165592218546

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304657558982

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185411650586

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5904 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:03 PM »
Adding to what @Mbrimson88 said - you can order 100 of them on Aliexpress or Ebay and be set for life. Same goes with axle nuts and kingpin nuts.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

chinotto

• Rep: 12
    • Board Madness avatar image
« Reply #5905 on: November 28, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
I just put on a new set of dragons and i swear they feel different than my old ones when they were new. The new ones feel gummier, quieter and a stickier when powersliding. They’re still good but I miss the old ones, those were from their first batch. Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Radim

« Reply #5906 on: December 02, 2022, 11:40:33 PM »
Any experience with the Powell Dragons in the wooden slippery skateparks?
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5907 on: December 03, 2022, 12:04:50 AM »
^Yes. My local indoor is pretty much unskateable for me on 99a wheels, but I can do it on Dragons. Noticeable difference in grip and well worth it imo.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5908 on: December 03, 2022, 02:22:35 AM »
Any experience with the Powell Dragons in the wooden slippery skateparks?

Re Dragons on slippery wood / skatelite surfaces:

I had a go of someone's board at the indoor park, which has very slippery wood, painted surface and concrete and they were manageable on everything, even the slipperiest of surfaces that usually everything else gives out on.  It was only a few runs on those ramps and up and down the street section, but I am used to how slippery the surface is and pushed them a lot more than I would on normal duro wheels and they held on everything, which was nice.

I might have said it once or twice before (sorry) but the Mini Logo softer wheels were pretty much the best price / quality / duro for a 95 or 90 duro wheel, kept speed and was quite surprising.  Not sure how readily available they are for people, but there are lots around and half the price of the others too.

Radim

« Reply #5909 on: December 03, 2022, 07:07:13 AM »
 Thank you for the Dragons feedback guys.  ;)
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a