Author Topic: Epicly Later'd: Chocolate Skateboards  (Read 48934 times)

ttching!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Epicly Later'd: Chocolate Skateboards
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
All I want is a black and white answer on how Pop's earns a living.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #241 on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
whos the grossest to ever ride for chocolate?vincent, chris roberts or richard mulder?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #242 on: November 13, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
so pops appears in multiple episodes but no devine? no insight on justin and eldridge getting on? damn i really don't know how these guys got on.  Stevies comment was really true about the everyone wanted to ride for girl or chocolate and the shut up part. Maybe he lurks the forms or have someone check it for him that seemed to be directed at slap
Pretty sure Devine was interviewed in part 1. Someone mentioned earlier that Eldridge got on through Val Surf. I would of liked more on Scott Johnston and Eldridge but i think focusing on Vincent out of the new guys was a good choice, the guy skates fast, loose, and locks in.

Billy Ocean

• Rep: 30
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
The first ten or so minutes of part four were unexpected. Nicely done O'Dell! Would love to watch another four parts.

Respect to Ben Sanchez.
"Suck a dick, bitch." - Joey Boy

Soggy

• Rep: -29
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »
when is Pops going to admit he has a drug problem?

Durndle

• Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
I know devine was injured a bunch because he would always have mini top 5s about it, but he must have had some footage for PS. he got on chocolate in 2004 for christ sakes. intro clip:

3:43
guess it had more to do with what he filmed with. dude was a smooth operator
also vincent should only be filmed with a vx. PS did not do him justice. end of tangent

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
I want that e-mail.

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
All I want is a black and white answer on how Pop's earns a living.
[close]

Fukd

• Rep: -45
« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
Castillo hate always astounds me. Good tricks good style. Not a lot of footage but it's all great. It wouldn't even be an issue before web clips and "producing".
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #250 on: November 13, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm old.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #251 on: November 13, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
Wish they'd have focused on Jerry getting on for more than a minute. I'd also love to skate a Jerry Chocolate board, but they're all 8" which just feels too small to me now.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #252 on: November 13, 2014, 06:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that 7 months or years?

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I sort wish this was a longer series but it did seem like they covered most things without getting into too much detail. I really liked the Pops thing and the MJ rebuttal later.? ?�I am sure there might be more things to what Pops was going through at the time where he needed money but I think life is life sometimes.

Good job Patrick. Now get on that Shorty's episode already.
[close]

that'd be amazing.

EDIT: a FIRM episode would be awesome with so many skateboarders on there that haven't had an epicly later'd.
[close]

FIRM series would be so sick! Fuck Shorty's though. If you were already into Girl/Choc back then you thought Shorty's was a joke. It was the board brand equivalent of Osiris. Rad skaters - gronky image.�
[close]
Put that dick back in your mouth and shut up.

Oh so you were one of the kids rocking Shorty's and Osiris gear back then? Sorry, man - it must've been really hard for you when you discovered you were a complete fuckwit. "Put that dick back in your mouth" hahahah great call, man.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

left knee cap

• Rep: 117
  • $$$$
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #255 on: November 13, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I sort wish this was a longer series but it did seem like they covered most things without getting into too much detail. I really liked the Pops thing and the MJ rebuttal later.? ?�I am sure there might be more things to what Pops was going through at the time where he needed money but I think life is life sometimes.

[close]

that'd be amazing.

EDIT: a FIRM episode would be awesome with so many skateboarders on there that haven't had an epicly later'd.
[close]

FIRM series would be so sick! Fuck Shorty's though. If you were already into Girl/Choc back then you thought Shorty's was a joke. It was the board brand equivalent of Osiris. Rad skaters - gronky image.�
[close]
[close]

Oh so you were one of the kids rocking Shorty's and Osiris gear back then? Sorry, man - it must've been really hard for you when you discovered you were a complete fuckwit. "Put that dick back in your mouth" hahahah great call, man.

Plus just in general, the people on the team would just give good interviews. You know Muska, Smolik and Turner will provide some good stuff. Then they can do some "where are they now" on Toan, Sammy Baptista, Steve Olson, Jesse Silvey, Rosa and then the newer guys like Pott, Frabrizio and Pudwill. It just seems like it'd be a good episode.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

dillanharp

« Reply #256 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

that'd be amazing.

[close]

[close]
[close]

Haha Toadfish lashing out at people all hurt because his heartthrob Pops was made to look like a bum.

uh-huh

• Rep: -6

era

« Reply #258 on: November 13, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »
How could you take away anything but the fact that pro skating fucking sucks from that last part.  It's basically a mediocre paying job that will ACTUALLY pay you for around 8-9 years then leave you with no job (maybe a pro board) and no skills.  Unless you are street leaguing you're fucked.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #259 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »
vincent alvarez is the shit

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
Expand Quote
so pops appears in multiple episodes but no devine? no insight on justin and eldridge getting on? damn i really don't know how these guys got on.  Stevies comment was really true about the everyone wanted to ride for girl or chocolate and the shut up part. Maybe he lurks the forms or have someone check it for him that seemed to be directed at slap
[close]
Pretty sure Devine was interviewed in part 1. Someone mentioned earlier that Eldridge got on through Val Surf. I would of liked more on Scott Johnston and Eldridge but i think focusing on Vincent out of the new guys was a good choice, the guy skates fast, loose, and locks in.

I meant more on the process of those guys getting on. Like what made them pick a guy from a skateshop (Eldridge) I agree with focusing on Vincent though. I heard of him through that same contest.  a lot of my friends skated it thing

shit_for_brains

« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2014, 10:01:30 PM »
Paulo looks like the crack fox

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

that'd be amazing.

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Plus just in general, the people on the team would just give good interviews. You know Muska, Smolik and Turner will provide some good stuff. Then they can do some "where are they now" on Toan, Sammy Baptista, Steve Olson, Jesse Silvey, Rosa and then the newer guys like Pott, Frabrizio and Pudwill. It just seems like it'd be a good episode.

agree with toadfish. everyone i knew on the east coast hated osiris/shortys in the 90s (including a few who rode for them) except for little kids. and in my experiences on the left coast, it seemed frowned upon, but not hated. things were obviously different in sd. they fucking loved that shit in sd.

still, i think it would make for an interesting el series.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »
I know devine was injured a bunch because he would always have mini top 5s about it, but he must have had some footage for PS. he got on chocolate in 2004 for christ sakes. intro clip:

3:43
guess it had more to do with what he filmed with. dude was a smooth operator
also vincent should only be filmed with a vx. PS did not do him justice. end of tangent

I think he got injured shortly after filming for the Transworld video he was in (which probably took some of his older footage he was stocking up) and I don't think they seriously started filming for what was originally supposed to be the new Chocolate video til like 2009 considering how burnt out ppl were from Fully Flared. I think Vincent's footage in HD was fine, it was just the schizophrenic editing between changing mid song and really quick cuts, if it was done more like Cory's or Marc's part it would of been fine.

If were talking about companies they should do epicly later'd on theres a bunch Shorty's, Alien/Habitat (granted alot is covered between the Kalis and Dylan ones), or Flip from 97 to the end of really sorry focusing on Apples, PJ, and Bastian.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »
Footage they showed from Pretty Sweet worked a lot better out of context. Vincent's controlled chaos is amazing.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #265 on: November 14, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

that'd be amazing.

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

agree with toadfish. everyone i knew on the east coast hated osiris/shortys in the 90s (including a few who rode for them) except for little kids. and in my experiences on the left coast, it seemed frowned upon, but not hated. things were obviously different in sd. they fucking loved that shit in sd.

same here. and I agree a Shorty's EL could still be interesting though.

Anyways, this was good. Got me feeling all nostalgic and shit. Also glad it didn't back away from a little controversy.
And personnally I think the Trunk Boyz are a more interesting addition to Chocolate than Eldridge and Roberts. I just love to watch Vincent Alvarez and Raven skate.

Now how about an Element series?? The early team was rad..... Barley, Kenny Hughes, Pepe Martinez, Andy Stone, Bill Pepper etc. There'd be a lot to cover.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #266 on: November 14, 2014, 12:59:27 AM »
How could you take away anything but the fact that pro skating fucking sucks from that last part.  It's basically a mediocre paying job that will ACTUALLY pay you for around 8-9 years then leave you with no job (maybe a pro board) and no skills.  Unless you are street leaguing you're fucked.

getting paid anything to skate, chill and explore the world sounds like a good deal to me.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #267 on: November 14, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I sort wish this was a longer series but it did seem like they covered most things without getting into too much detail. I really liked the Pops thing and the MJ rebuttal later.? ??I am sure there might be more things to what Pops was going through at the time where he needed money but I think life is life sometimes.

[close]

that'd be amazing.

[close]

FIRM series would be so sick! Fuck Shorty's though. If you were already into Girl/Choc back then you thought Shorty's was a joke. It was the board brand equivalent of Osiris. Rad skaters - gronky image.?
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

same here. and I agree a Shorty's EL could still be interesting though.

Anyways, this was good. Got me feeling all nostalgic and shit. Also glad it didn't back away from a little controversy.
And personnally I think the Trunk Boyz are a more interesting addition to Chocolate than Eldridge and Roberts. I just love to watch Vincent Alvarez and Raven skate.

Now how about an Element series?? The early team was rad..... Barley, Kenny Hughes, Pepe Martinez, Andy Stone, Bill Pepper etc. There'd be a lot to cover.

an element series would be pretty rad but they basically cover everything in the element documentary that was released a few years ago.

I know they covered the team a little in the beauty and the beast tour EL edit, but an anti-hero series would be interesting.
Jesus, even a Workshop series would be a 10+ episode dream.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: November 14, 2014, 01:26:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

getting paid anything to skate, chill and explore the world sounds like a good deal to me.
It sounds amazing, but I love how Tim O'Connor explained it. "Yo, i'm going to this awesome country, going to australia" "Thats so awesome" "Ya, it is, but when i get their i'm gonna hang out behind a K-mart near a dumpster where theres this embankment thats kind of good to skate"
Starts around the 6 minute mark, but the whole interview is filled with gold.

SomeWorries

« Reply #269 on: November 14, 2014, 02:32:28 AM »
Every time I get excited about the thought of future series E.L. should do, I get simultaneously bummed that these have become watered down and mostly long winded advertisements for the spotlight company or skater. I guess I was just hoping for more grit. It's a real catch-22, but could they not have at least mentioned Jesus or Devine's exit or Ricardo Carvalho?

Ain't no shame. Totally dig these guys, then and now:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/shortys69/

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:12:32 PM by SomeWorries »