Author Topic: BATB 8  (Read 186046 times)

Fongstarr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BATB 8
« Reply #930 on: June 22, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
I actually thought people liked Cepeda last year. Just the idea that a Joe from the whole Pro vs Joe actually took it. I thought that was what made BATB7 a decent watch anyways.

This year just doesn't seem to have that spark that this thing used to have. I really wish they would do something a little more different next time around.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #931 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:51 PM »
soo much love for luan nowadays. dudes been a favorite since extremely sorry. go back and watch that shit and tell me how ahead of his time he was. doing awesome shit like sw fs180 fs5-0 backside flip alley out. so dope. I wish he would've busted out that super gnarly trick he did on torey. that shit was the best trick ive seen in batb to this day. I think it was a sw 360 big heel done flawless of course.

what makes codys double flips gay and not luans are luan actually throws in other tricks between them instead of just raffling them off one by one. nobody wants to see that shit... and there's also the obvious style factor

Same thing happened with the kid who won Battle for Aberrica right? That kid throwing out the pressure flip variations that no one in their right mind would know... there's an etiquette to playing SKATE kinda like you always prove your own trick. For some reason kids have been offering to prove their trick during games of SKATE. I don't know why this is making a resurgence or maybe it's just the kids who don't really know how to play or something. I always laugh at them though

wattscain

« Reply #932 on: June 22, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
Expand Quote
It sounds like people are really reaching to dislike Cepeda. Saying you're not a fan of his style is one thing, but to hate him because he doesn't play SKATE the way you would seems a little silly. If someone fires off several double flips in a row, that's not some sportsmanship issue; it may just be easier to do that. We've seen Ladd do heelflip or 360 flip variations in a row. In SKATE, once you are in the zone for a certain class of tricks, sometimes it's easier to just do them in a row rather than derailing your train of thought.
[close]

it's not a reach, its an opinion of taste and etiquette. you cant help but appreciate his consistency. but also cant help but hate his style of skating because it's strange to be that consistent with your tricks looking that bad. morgan came into the berrics and smoked everyone without anybody knowing him and he didn't receive the hate that cody does. there's a reason for that. comparing ladd and cepeda is ass backwards in a game of skate debate considering cody is the antithesis to ladd in terms of the cessation of tricks. ladd never does a bunch of goofy tricks in a row and always complains about people doing that in his interviews. which makes him look like a sour puss so I see your point but comparing the two makes no sense at all

I don't know if you can claim much etiquette when money is on the line. It's not like Cody cheated. He is a young guy trying to come up who wants to win and he will pull whatever he needs to out of his bag to make that happen. You would too if you were playing Luan. The straight 8's can only go so far when you are playing someone like Ladd or Luan. And just a reminder, Morgan Smith was not some unknown/unsponsored skater when he entered his first BATB so there is no comparison to Cepeda in that sense. Again, whether you like Cepeda's style or not is too subjective to debate.

I think you missed my point. Just because you don't like that Cepeda does double flips does not mean he is being mean or disrespectful. Whether you like Cepeda's tricks/style is one thing, but because he may do them in a row is not unlike many skaters. I just used Ladd as an one example of a technique that I've seen quite often in these games which is to do a certain class of tricks in a row.  And yes, I think it is people reaching to dislike Cepeda, especially when other well respected pros/ams have gotten really technical early in a game. Kennedy came at Ramondetta pretty aggressively in BATB3. And what about that third place battle between Mike Mo and O'neill in BATB6?

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #933 on: June 22, 2015, 12:08:30 PM »
That tre flip revert bullshit Luan does is way worse than double flips. And a fuckin 540? Just stop it. I'm a much bigger fan of Cepeda on the flat

wattscain

« Reply #934 on: June 22, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
That tre flip revert bullshit Luan does is way worse than double flips. And a fuckin 540? Just stop it. I'm a much bigger fan of Cepeda on the flat

That's a good point too. I'm not really partial to Cepeda or Luan, but it's funny that Cepeda get's so much animosity for double flips and some of Luan's revert/pivot-like tricks have never received the same level of criticism. Those tricks are equally weird and technical.

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #935 on: June 22, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It sounds like people are really reaching to dislike Cepeda. Saying you're not a fan of his style is one thing, but to hate him because he doesn't play SKATE the way you would seems a little silly. If someone fires off several double flips in a row, that's not some sportsmanship issue; it may just be easier to do that. We've seen Ladd do heelflip or 360 flip variations in a row. In SKATE, once you are in the zone for a certain class of tricks, sometimes it's easier to just do them in a row rather than derailing your train of thought.
[close]

it's not a reach, its an opinion of taste and etiquette. you cant help but appreciate his consistency. but also cant help but hate his style of skating because it's strange to be that consistent with your tricks looking that bad. morgan came into the berrics and smoked everyone without anybody knowing him and he didn't receive the hate that cody does. there's a reason for that. comparing ladd and cepeda is ass backwards in a game of skate debate considering cody is the antithesis to ladd in terms of the cessation of tricks. ladd never does a bunch of goofy tricks in a row and always complains about people doing that in his interviews. which makes him look like a sour puss so I see your point but comparing the two makes no sense at all
[close]

I don't know if you can claim much etiquette when money is on the line. It's not like Cody cheated. He is a young guy trying to come up who wants to win and he will pull whatever he needs to out of his bag to make that happen. You would too if you were playing Luan. The straight 8's can only go so far when you are playing someone like Ladd or Luan. And just a reminder, Morgan Smith was not some unknown/unsponsored skater when he entered his first BATB so there is no comparison to Cepeda in that sense. Again, whether you like Cepeda's style or not is too subjective to debate.

I think you missed my point. Just because you don't like that Cepeda does double flips does not mean he is being mean or disrespectful. Whether you like Cepeda's tricks/style is one thing, but because he may do them in a row is not unlike many skaters. I just used Ladd as an one example of a technique that I've seen quite often in these games which is to do a certain class of tricks in a row. � And yes, I think it is people reaching to dislike Cepeda, especially when other well respected pros/ams have gotten really technical early in a game. Kennedy came at Ramondetta pretty aggressively in BATB3. And what about that third place battle between Mike Mo and O'neill in BATB6?

didn't say it was mean or disrespectful at all. was more referring to it being a poor choice of style, and a boring counter towards all of luans other tricks. ramondetta killed it and cory always did silly amazing tricks out of no where in these ( an insanely wide range with great style, and not just the same ones done poorly). im just being subjective towards his style, like mostly everyone else here.

im pretty sure that third place battle was played differently than all their other games because they didn't give a shit, because it was for third place. � torgerson and mike mo do the same thing in their third place battle and it made for an interesting game. nobody wants to see somebody get beat by the same 5 tricks over and over is the point. which is why sewas battles are pretty weak, especially his last one against berger. and yea morgan was pretty under the radar as far as people knowing him and his flat ground game. hadn't released many parts and not that much mag coverage
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:18:12 PM by needlejuice »
try to remember, forget

wattscain

« Reply #936 on: June 22, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think you missed my point. Just because you don't like that Cepeda does double flips does not mean he is being mean or disrespectful. Whether you like Cepeda's tricks/style is one thing, but because he may do them in a row is not unlike many skaters. I just used Ladd as an one example of a technique that I've seen quite often in these games which is to do a certain class of tricks in a row. � And yes, I think it is people reaching to dislike Cepeda, especially when other well respected pros/ams have gotten really technical early in a game. Kennedy came at Ramondetta pretty aggressively in BATB3. And what about that third place battle between Mike Mo and O'neill in BATB6?
[close]

didn't say it was mean or disrespectful at all. was more referring to it being a poor choice of style, and a boring counter towards all of luans other tricks. ramondetta killed it and cory always did silly amazing tricks out of no where in these ( an insanely wide range with great style, and not just the same ones done poorly). im just being subjective towards his style, like mostly everyone else here.

im pretty sure that third place battle was played differently than all their other games because they didn't give a shit, because it was for third place. � torgerson and mike mo do the same thing in their third place battle and it made for an interesting game. nobody wants to see somebody get beat by the same 5 tricks over and over is the point. which is why sewas battles are pretty weak, especially his last one against berger

Well, like someone posted earlier, if these guys don't want to get beat by Sewa's five tricks, I guess they better learn those five tricks

needlejuice

« Reply #937 on: June 22, 2015, 12:19:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think you missed my point. Just because you don't like that Cepeda does double flips does not mean he is being mean or disrespectful. Whether you like Cepeda's tricks/style is one thing, but because he may do them in a row is not unlike many skaters. I just used Ladd as an one example of a technique that I've seen quite often in these games which is to do a certain class of tricks in a row. � And yes, I think it is people reaching to dislike Cepeda, especially when other well respected pros/ams have gotten really technical early in a game. Kennedy came at Ramondetta pretty aggressively in BATB3. And what about that third place battle between Mike Mo and O'neill in BATB6?
[close]

im pretty sure that third place battle was played differently than all their other games because they didn't give a shit, because it was for third place. � torgerson and mike mo do the same thing in their third place battle and it made for an interesting game. nobody wants to see somebody get beat by the same 5 tricks over and over is the point. which is why sewas battles are pretty weak, especially his last one against berger
[close]

Well, like someone posted earlier, if these guys don't want to get beat by Sewa's five tricks, I guess they better learn those five tricks

too bad pj got knocked out. though I loved that game and am happy for asta. because pj is capable of all those sewa tricks and openly clowns them at the same time.
try to remember, forget

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #938 on: June 22, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
so, officially the worst (ie:grossest) group of finalist yet?

fuck, I guess I'm rooting for the robot....?
I need a coffee

Fongstarr

• Rep: -1
« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
It's such a toss up who could win to. If Sewa win's the ro-sham-bo, and stays consistent, he will win against Asta for sure. Shane and Cody seem pretty oddly matched too. Shane doesn't seem to have doubles as dialed as Cepeda but Shane has tons of tricks that it might not even matter. Sewa against Cepeda or Shane really depends on the ro-sham-bo and if Asta does beat Sewa, he will have a hard time winning against either or.

too much

« Reply #940 on: June 22, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote
So how 'bout that no sliding or pivoting if your opponent popped his trick rule, Berra?
[close]
this! dude should have lost right there....
Luan�s pop and speed :o

Good point...more like reverts and not sliding...Shane needs to learn the nollie fs double flip, seems to be Cody's go to for a letter. If there's no prize money involved in BATB, then I guess style is everything because no one likes the stupid double flips. Cody can just dig his own grave, haha. But I thought Cody's last trick the sw fs bigger spin was pretty sick...I guess. I honestly think a Cepeda video part with all these wanna be early 90's flat ground tricks would be super lame. Dude needs some small wheels/big pants. Might improve his style.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #941 on: June 22, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »
fuck, I guess I'm rooting for the robot....?

Which one?

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #942 on: June 22, 2015, 02:50:58 PM »

Well I think he practices double flips all day purposely to win a game of skate which I can't envision most pros doing. To each his own but to me it's equivalent to someone doing 10 late shuv it variations in a row. Nobody goes out of their way to wire tricks like that but they can be interesting tricks out of nowhere in skate part or something.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:53:28 PM by stephop »

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #943 on: June 22, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »
Ostentatious.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #944 on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I think he practices double flips all day purposely to win a game of skate which I can't envision most pros doing. To each his own but to me it's equivalent to someone doing 10 late shuv it variations in a row.

Gutted Luan didn't make it...Props to anyone who has to play Luan...seeing chest high full speed tricks has to fuck with his opponents a bit.

headtowall

• Rep: -12
« Reply #945 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:22 PM »
i never understood where all you people who have this "etiquette" about a game of skate come from? The whole purpose of the game is to skate flat and do the wildest shit to win, it isn't lets see how many times we can land tricks together.

Also people also seem to forget the rule "defense has a bigger margin of error" they only repeat the rules every time for the past 8 years.

Y'all are stretching now to find things to hate on Steve Berra/The Berrics for now. 

wattscain

« Reply #946 on: June 22, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I think he practices double flips all day purposely to win a game of skate which I can't envision most pros doing. To each his own but to me it's equivalent to someone doing 10 late shuv it variations in a row. Nobody goes out of their way to wire tricks like that but they can be interesting tricks out of nowhere in skate part or something.

He's a different generation of skateboarder. He came up with slightly different environment in skateboarding where the supposed rule book was starting to be thrown out. I've seen a lot of younger kids (pre-Cepeda in the BATB) do double flips on the regular. It's something they enjoy. I remember those 80's transition dudes talking shit about the newer generation learning flatground and ledge tricks in an isolated parking lot (we all know the outcome of that story) Hell, we get excited by all these slappie variations that are popping up from the past and I don't hear complaining about those. So let the boy have his double flips. Skateboarding doesn't survive by using last year's standards. 

And I've practiced tricks strictly for SKATE. Sometimes it can be interesting because you discover another side of your abilities. I can envision pros doing the same thing. It's not like pros are saints that only do whats accepted by the people. Once you lay down certain foundations, you have to fuck around just to keep it interesting, even if that means a few more double flips than the next guy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:37:36 PM by Lizzie Borden »

OldmanEpic

« Reply #947 on: June 22, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
Shoulda got Pine in this.

First match Pine vrs Cepeda

I got no beef with double flips. I actually like them if they are popped and caught. That shit takes skill.

And some double flips are just fucked. Id break my ankles trying some of this shit

Id like to see double front heels, fuck even just a double heel.

Double flip variations are fuckin hard. Any trick I can pop decently, no way I could double flip. The board just sticks to your feet on the way up

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #948 on: June 22, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
I quit skating when I was 14 and came back to it when I was 22 and double flips were easier than singles. I'd gotten bigger and the board flipped faster than before. I'm normal now.

jomeara1

« Reply #949 on: June 22, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »
I got no problem with double flip stuff.  I expect someone to eventually do it.  Its when someone tries to win on a variel flip, now THAT is irritating. 

Erngh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #950 on: June 22, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »
I got no problem with double flip stuff.  I expect someone to eventually do it.  Its when someone tries to win on a variel flip, now THAT is irritating. 

Somebody in the first round did. Forget who.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #951 on: June 22, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
Varial flips are fucking sick

needlejuice

« Reply #952 on: June 22, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
yes learning specific tricks for skate is obviously beneficial. but playing someone who knows how to do 5 weird tricks that they constantly rattle off in a row when its their turn is shallow. ie sewa and codys strategy. ladd oneill luan etc all have insane backlogs of difficult tricks that might show up in their games or might not. theyre not pulling the same knockouts every single game
try to remember, forget

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #953 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
i think everyone who hates varial flips got trounced in games of skate by them for years because they couldn't do them. i think that's why i used to hate them.

bo bice

• Rep: 91
« Reply #954 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »
wellllll it's all gonna come down to the two dudes with the 5 tricks. �you guys rooting for team double flip or team 540 shove? that luan vs cepeda match truly made me feel gross and I didn't even think I cared about this shit.

era

« Reply #955 on: June 22, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »
wellllll it's all gonna come down to the two dudes with the 5 tricks. �you guys rooting for team double flip or team 540 shove? that luan vs cepeda match truly made me feel gross and I didn't even think I cared about this shit.

perfect

jomeara1

« Reply #956 on: June 22, 2015, 08:04:39 PM »
i think everyone who hates varial flips got trounced in games of skate by them for years because they couldn't do them. i think that's why i used to hate them.

It's not that I hate varial flips in general, I just get bummed when its T to T and someone does one to end the game...or a fakie varial flip.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #957 on: June 22, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
Varial flips are fucking sick
True you can stomp them so good. Varial heels are so fucking awkward to do on flat, I got em but I HATE doing that trick

Winner gets 25 grand, so do whatever you want to win, double flips are legit. At this point basic flip tricks won't win

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #958 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's not that I hate varial flips in general, I just get bummed when its T to T and someone does one to end the game...or a fakie varial flip.

dude regular or fakie varial flips are fucking easy, acting like these pro's shouldn't take ten minutes out of their day to get them down (nollie and switch too) in order to win a contest worth a few grand is stupid. boo fucking hoo, some pro didn't prepare enough, who gives a shit? eh i guess i'm going against the grain but fuck you people who really give a shit about who wins a game of skate, like it makes someone better than someone else. pull your head out of the berrics' ass, they made you care about games of skate like they're advancing skateboarding. it's like you're invested in a soap opera, like what you think matters. it already has it's puppet masters, take it easy

needlejuice

« Reply #959 on: June 22, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »
Take it easy Shakespeare, don't think anyone on here thinks a game of skate on the berrics defines who's better. If you skate you're your own puppet master obviously
try to remember, forget