Author Topic: Ten Years of Daewon  (Read 5024 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Ten Years of Daewon
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 05:25:47 AM »
One thing I've always loved about Daewon is how idiosyncratic his skating was -- ZERO handrails, stairs or hubbas and apparently was content to seldom travel outside the South Bay with ZERO footage from 90s LA hotspots like the Courthouse, Fairfax, Venice, Santa Monica, etc (though he did log a couple clips at Chaffey). Did he ever even go on tours? No SF, east coast, Europe footage that I can recall.

He talks about this very thing in his Chrome Ball from last year:

http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/search/label/daewon%20song

Is that why youve never sought out the more marquee spots over the years? The Embarcaderos and the Love Parks?

Im not sparked on those actually because everyone is going there. I dont want to go. There were a couple places I skated because I was on a trip and everyone else wanted to go. I hated it.  

Ok, Im here at popular spot! This is really popular! I cant believe everything thats already been done here.

I just never had the spark for it. Plus, I hate traveling. Ive always told myself that I could push a 10-year career just by skating in my backyard. I heard Eric Koston once say that everything Ive filmed in the last 10 years has been in the South Bay and hes absolutely right. There are so many spots here but people are lazy. They dont want to go look for spots, they want other people to scout them out for them. Why wait around for someone to find a spot for you? I mean I love suggestions but sometimes, Ill drive around all day and be out lurking in parking lots to look at stuff. Because there is so much. Ive actually found spots behind those popular spots that I end up liking more.

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 05:54:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hard to believe lovechild was 10 yrs ago already.....
[close]

More like 23 years ago...
[close]

This is a great edit. He "re-did" his Love Child part. Then added some good stuff at the end.

Holy fuck that BS 360 over the ditch gap/drain might be one of the best ever
Its also isane how hard he rips on concrete tranny, fuck lol

5inchDick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
One thing I've always loved about Daewon is how idiosyncratic his skating was -- ZERO handrails, stairs or hubbas and apparently was content to seldom travel outside the South Bay with ZERO footage from 90s LA hotspots like the Courthouse, Fairfax, Venice, Santa Monica, etc (though he did log a couple clips at Chaffey). Did he ever even go on tours? No SF, east coast, Europe footage that I can recall.
[close]

Expand Quote
Is that why youve never sought out the more marquee spots over the years? The Embarcaderos and the Love Parks?

Im not sparked on those actually because everyone is going there. I dont want to go. There were a couple places I skated because I was on a trip and everyone else wanted to go. I hated it.  

Ok, Im here at popular spot! This is really popular! I cant believe everything thats already been done here.

I just never had the spark for it. Plus, I hate traveling. Ive always told myself that I could push a 10-year career just by skating in my backyard. I heard Eric Koston once say that everything Ive filmed in the last 10 years has been in the South Bay and hes absolutely right. There are so many spots here but people are lazy. They dont want to go look for spots, they want other people to scout them out for them. Why wait around for someone to find a spot for you? I mean I love suggestions but sometimes, Ill drive around all day and be out lurking in parking lots to look at stuff. Because there is so much. Ive actually found spots behind those popular spots that I end up liking more.
[close]

HE WAS S.O.T.Y .. BEFORE CORRECT?

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

HE WAS S.O.T.Y .. BEFORE CORRECT?