Author Topic: Venice Beach  (Read 6487 times)

stupidiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -55
  • this is my facebook
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Venice Beach
« on: February 11, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
Went yesterday for the first time and I'm gonna have to say the skatepark there is the worst thing about the beach.
Got fucking heckled by the "audience"- people who don't even skate and just stand around... but during this ordeal I witnessed a type of skater that I never encountered before. There were a few locals that absolutely murdered the whole park with ease as if it's routine- which is dope  but then there were a few that seemed to show up just to entertain the tourists and shit. Shit was weak sauce.
Skateboarding Life Art Potatos

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3401
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Venice Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
I fell there once!

summertimebluesdaddy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
Went yesterday for the first time and I'm gonna have to say the skatepark there is the worst thing about the beach.
Got fucking heckled by the "audience"- people who don't even skate and just stand around... but during this ordeal I witnessed a type of skater that I never encountered before. There were a few locals that absolutely murdered the whole park with ease as if it's routine- which is dope  but then there were a few that seemed to show up just to entertain the tourists and shit. Shit was weak sauce.
Soooo....
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

Mikey

• Rep: -8
    • Mikey Duran Photo avatar image
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »
I fell there once!

can we confirm???

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
went there shortly after they tore out the hubba/pits but before they'd replaced it w/ much. think it was a flatbar and long 2 foot quarter. this little asian girl was doing long boardslides to fakie on the QP. is she still around?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I fell there once!
[close]

can we confirm???

My ripped daisy dukes were confirmation enough. #brokenheart

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »
You mean park heroes? They've been around forever. Why do you think it's a KOTR challenge to focus a park heroes board? They're at every park. You just have to go enough times to see them or find the kids doing the absolutely gnarly shit cause they've done everything else. They might be impressive in the park but I find they never leave "their" park, though not to say that's not what all of them do.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 05:22:24 PM »
went there shortly after they tore out the hubba/pits but before they'd replaced it w/ much. think it was a flatbar and long 2 foot quarter. this little asian girl was doing long boardslides to fakie on the QP. is she still around?

The only Asian girl I remember skating there was Stephanie. She played the girl skater in the fictional Lords of Dogtown movie.

Despite the o.p.'s experiences, the skatepark is one of the best things about Venice. There are a couple of people I try to avoid: a homeless-looking brother that charges everything and everybody depending how drunk he is. The locals dodge and push around him until he passes out. There's also a white female version of him who pretty much regulates all the razors, fruit booters and bmxrs who try to sneak runs in. I think I'd have a better chance fighting Jesse Martinez than her.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
I use to go a lot in the summer years ago with a friend that lived in Venice and knew all the locals. This is before the new park but it wasn't too bad, just typical stoner skaters. I couldn't see myself going now though, i could only imagine how annoying those ignorant 15 year old locals screaming "locals only" are. Just too much of a hassle, plus i don't wanna get in Justin Bieber's way.

mini pebble

• Rep: -43
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »
The park is not bad early in the morning, but late at night it's not even worth it. I thought the locals are fine, they skate, take care of the park, rip. Heckles? Happens everywhere, not just in a park, who amoung us is has not been mistook for a Tony Hawk who can spin 900's riding down the sidewalk.

pinch a loaf

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
The park is not bad early in the morning, but late at night it's not even worth it. I thought the locals are fine, they skate, take care of the park, rip. Heckles? Happens everywhere, not just in a park, who amoung us is has not been mistook for a Tony Hawk who can spin 900's riding down the sidewalk.

Reminded me how many times I've heard someone yell "do a 900!"

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 05:57:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The only Asian girl I remember skating there was Stephanie. She played the girl skater in the fictional Lords of Dogtown movie.

Despite the o.p.'s experiences, the skatepark is one of the best things about Venice. There are a couple of people I try to avoid: a homeless-looking brother that charges everything and everybody depending how drunk he is. The locals dodge and push around him until he passes out. There's also a white female version of him who pretty much regulates all the razors, fruit booters and bmxrs who try to sneak runs in. I think I'd have a better chance fighting Jesse Martinez than her.
haha yes! i met her at SOTY outside of the bar and she was too young or kicked out as well. it was the yr that arto won it, got to see him, geoff and tiny bastien at 3rd and army.  she was cool as hell and then i was staying in LA in early 02 and we had a mutual friend, we all skated wilshire st, those tile banks by the commuter rail and venice park. small world!

straight

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reminded me how many times I've heard someone yell "do a 900!"

You're on your own with that request

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »
I was just talking about Venice with some coworkers. This dude was talking about a tiny Asian boy who rips and everyone confuses for a little girl.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 12:14:30 AM »
Wouldn't wanna run into these dudes. They look like serious business.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 01:37:00 AM »
Was Tim Jackson still hollering at the bikini girls and doing wall ride rail slides on that one wall ?

Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
Was Tim Jackson still hollering at the bikini girls and doing wall ride rail slides on that one wall ?

Let's hope so!

TINCL

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
One time, and the last time, I went to venice and there was a shooting at the courts down the street while we were skating.  Everyone at the skatepark freaked out and stampeded off the beach like wild animals.  I saw a little girl crying for her mom in a crowd of people in chaos while thousands evacuated, screaming "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE".  The swat showed up with assault rifles and people were fucking tripping out.  A huge gang of fixie riders took over the streets and were stopping traffic at green lights and people were running for there lives. 

The session was pretty cool that day.

the best part of venice is the long quarterpipe that everyone ignores

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
One time, and the last time, I went to venice and there was a shooting at the courts down the street while we were skating.  Everyone at the skatepark freaked out and stampeded off the beach like wild animals.  I saw a little girl crying for her mom in a crowd of people in chaos while thousands evacuated, screaming "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE".  The swat showed up with assault rifles and people were fucking tripping out.  A huge gang of fixie riders took over the streets and were stopping traffic at green lights and people were running for there lives. 

I was there that day too. It turned out to be just a squirt gun.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:09 PM »
One time, and the last time, I went to venice and there was a shooting at the courts down the street while we were skating.  Everyone at the skatepark freaked out and stampeded off the beach like wild animals.  I saw a little girl crying for her mom in a crowd of people in chaos while thousands evacuated, screaming "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE".  The swat showed up with assault rifles and people were fucking tripping out.  A huge gang of fixie riders took over the streets and were stopping traffic at green lights and people were running for there lives

Here lives

there lives

everywhere lives lives

(just teasing...that story you told was freaking great)

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

venice  - slum by the sea

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

D-FENS!

TINCL

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »
Word.  I heard the shots. skip to 1:25

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:22:14 AM by MASTiF »

Custom skater

• Rep: -80
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 01:16:05 AM »
I'd be careful around venice , I heard about some angry white dude who looks like this

shark tits

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 02:00:13 AM »
I'd be careful around venice , I heard about some angry white dude who looks like this

yeah, i heard he's unbeatable in pickup basketball.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 11:43:16 AM »
Venice isn't that sketchy aside from after the boardwalk closes down and it actually gets really sketchy. The only thing I hate about that area is that its so saturated with tourists. I could give a fuck about them watching though. I'll skate how I skate, if they enjoy it, good for them, if not that's their problem. The locals have some kooks, but some are cool, just like any scene. I find the kookiest ones also happen to be the ones who are pretty mediocre at skating and mostly do speed lines with scowls on their faces. Most of the kids genuinely there to just skate and have a good time are cool if you are doing the same. The street section sucks, but the snake run and deep bowl are super fun. The nice part about it is that if you hate that spot, the west LA courthouse and stoner are just a stones throw away.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

GoodguyEh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »
Never had any problem with the local kooks when I was there, sure they vibe you and give you shit for you not happening to be born in the same location they are, but does that really cause you trouble? Half those kids are just pissed cause there mom kicked them out for spending the 20$ they were given for lunch on weed.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 125
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 11:14:14 AM »

A webcam has recently appeared in Venice. Has distant views of the skatepark. Lots of skateboarding going on in the area, and if you're stuck in a cold, dark part of the world, like me, looks rather appealing.

somefucker

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 11:24:48 AM »
park is asscheeks. rather skate downtown