Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 48430 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 22, 2023, 11:25:11 AM »
Okay so, all my left shoes suddenly feel a bit too tight and a tiny bit too short now. Foot looks normal, but feels a bit heavy and bigger somehow, maybe swollen. The pain is specifically the ball under my foot, the inner underside of my foot and kinda inside of my heel. I tried to search in google and all I find is plantar fascitis but the symptoms don't match up that well. Anyone might have an idea or can point me to the right doctor? I am having surgery tomorrow because I have a hump or loose muscle tissue or something else in my left hip and I will ask the surgeon.
IG: @flowterspace

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #631 on: October 22, 2023, 07:02:44 PM »
Think I strained my quad pretty bad.  Didn’t skate for a month cause of a death in the family.  Finally got to skate and suddenly the front of my thigh kinda had a spasm and felt all hot, almost like I maxed out on the muscle.  Skated a bit more after that because i wasn’t sure if anything was actually wrong.  The next day it’s been sore and burning all day and the tendon connecting the muscle to the knee feels weak.  I could be out for another couple weeks to a month again.  But this is the life I choose

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 17
  • fresh
« Reply #632 on: October 23, 2023, 06:45:02 AM »
I have a good one for this! my friend was leaving stl to move to new york city. before leaving he wanted to make a video part and he told me i could be put in the friends section. being 16 when this happened, i didnt wanna be in the friends part; i wanted my own section. we went to logan university after being kicked out of a outdoor theater. while scouting the college, i found a curved handrail. it was shitty i mean the only way to grind it was by riding on a foot wide ledge next to it. i had a few handrail tricks and decided that i would just 5050 the whole rail because it was long and went into a downward slope after the curve. i hopped on a few times and just grinded 5 feet of it and flipped head over heels on the rail. my friends ( all adult skaters ) started warning me after that that it just wasnt worth the risk. im still young but matured more after this but at the time didnt care. the last try i locked in toe-side and feel straight on my stomach and started muttering fuck and walking around. i sit down and just cant breathe and feel like im going to shit myself and ask them to take my shoes off. my dad was there taking photos for the video and was kinda just laughing because it was funny. anyway after arguing about going to a urgent care, i decide we for sure need to go and trying to be tough isnt worth it. i get there, walking in shirtless and shoeless and try to take a shit but cannot. i was lying down in one of the beds and just started seizing, throwing up orange shit and blood and saying im going to die. i start blacking out and they do an ultrasound and found out i had torn my large intestine in half. rushing to the hospital on every painkiller known to man, they get me into ' life saving surgery ' ( calling it that at the time seemed extra but they werent wrong ) i was supposed to get in a colostomy bag but got lucky. three months no skating and no walking for 1 month. all good now but have a gnarly 4 inch scar going through my belly button.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

michal.jan.999

• Rep: 2
« Reply #633 on: November 05, 2023, 03:27:37 PM »
Today I was doing backside boardslides on a flat bar. Learned this trick a couple of months ago and really like it; learned doing it first on curbs, I like it on ledges too.

So today I waxed the shit out of the flat bar bc it was sticking and I guess I was going too fast… the board slipped out and I landed on my back on the bar.

Had trouble breathing initially but walked away after a few minutes on my own. Now 7 hours later and I can walk slowly, can’t flex any core muscles so my mobility is bad. Trying to breathe diaphragmatic bc I can’t really expand my chest much.

Read the pain intensifies over the next days. Read there’s no treatment just painkillers and chill. Read I need to breath fully not to get pneumonia. Got other tips?

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #634 on: November 05, 2023, 03:36:51 PM »
Go to the hospital. You could have internal bleeding. I almost lost my spleen on a fall. I wound up having to stay in the hospital for 4 days. Wish you well…

michal.jan.999

• Rep: 2
« Reply #635 on: November 13, 2023, 05:24:36 AM »
Update: went to see a doctor, he saw no broken ribs but he found pneumothorax suppressing my lung at the top and bottom. Was admitted to the hospital immediately, another x-ray found 3 fractured ribs and confirmed pneumothorax.

The surgeon recommended a chest tube, but he said also it was not required and the alternative was oxygen and breathing exercise (to breath through a straw into a bottle with water, so to raise pressure inside the lungs). I decided to go with oxygen and exercise obviously. The decline was observed after the first and also the second day, pneumothorax declined 50% and 30% in size at the bottom and top of the lung respectively. I got discharged.

Looking at 1 month to get back in full health from now, 5 - 6 weeks total. The first week I was on painkillers all the time. I did not consider an occurrence of pneumothorax bc I am not a doctor. It is however common with blunt chest trauma. Doctors treated that seriously bc it is a potentially life threatening condition.

I have an injury board, Anti Hero Green Giant 9.56" with 15.75" WB I feel like going for a cruise

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #636 on: November 13, 2023, 05:34:01 AM »
Update: went to see a doctor, he saw no broken ribs but he found pneumothorax suppressing my lung at the top and bottom. Was admitted to the hospital immediately, another x-ray found 3 fractured ribs and confirmed pneumothorax.

The surgeon recommended a chest tube, but he said also it was not required and the alternative was oxygen and breathing exercise (to breath through a straw into a bottle with water, so to raise pressure inside the lungs). I decided to go with oxygen and exercise obviously. The decline was observed after the first and also the second day, pneumothorax declined 50% and 30% in size at the bottom and top of the lung respectively. I got discharged.

Looking at 1 month to get back in full health from now, 5 - 6 weeks total. The first week I was on painkillers all the time. I did not consider an occurrence of pneumothorax bc I am not a doctor. It is however common with blunt chest trauma. Doctors treated that seriously bc it is a potentially life threatening condition.

I have an injury board, Anti Hero Green Giant 9.56" with 15.75" WB I feel like going for a cruise

Imagine how embarrassing up in skate heaven if you died from falling on a boardslide on a flat bar. 

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • sup dog
« Reply #637 on: November 13, 2023, 07:17:25 PM »
Today I was doing backside boardslides on a flat bar. Learned this trick a couple of months ago and really like it; learned doing it first on curbs, I like it on ledges too.

So today I waxed the shit out of the flat bar bc it was sticking and I guess I was going too fast… the board slipped out and I landed on my back on the bar.

Had trouble breathing initially but walked away after a few minutes on my own. Now 7 hours later and I can walk slowly, can’t flex any core muscles so my mobility is bad. Trying to breathe diaphragmatic bc I can’t really expand my chest much.

Read the pain intensifies over the next days. Read there’s no treatment just painkillers and chill. Read I need to breath fully not to get pneumonia. Got other tips?
That sounds horrible. Go see a fucking doctor. If you can’t expand chest, maybe you have a broken rib… you don’t want something to set poorly and then you have issues later.

*I see now you have seen a doctor. GOOD.
I hope you heal up nicely. Do not push it and even roll around… you probably can’t manage even a little fall while your chest heals. Please don’t be dumb, and just chill for a month and listen to doc.

Hoping for your good healing.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

420beers

• Rep: 5
« Reply #638 on: November 14, 2023, 06:33:20 AM »
Closed fracture on my fifth metatarsal on my pushing/popping foot 3 weeks ago, crutched around for a week then started hobbling around in an aircast. Follow up in one week from today for x-rays, just hopin I don't need surgery. Anyone else deal with this one?

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #639 on: November 24, 2023, 12:01:27 PM »
Gonna bump this thread to ask anyone who's broken their wrist how long it was until they skated. I'm likely getting the surgery to remove the plate out of my wrist in January then physical therapy afterwards. I'll definitely wear a wrist guard for the foreseeable future after that but I just don't know what the time frame for any of this is.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • sup dog
« Reply #640 on: November 25, 2023, 01:12:12 PM »

lol.

“Degenerative arthritis of cervical spine”

This makes it sound so bad
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #641 on: December 17, 2023, 10:21:37 AM »
Tore my quad tendon last month. I’m a couple weeks post injury and just started PT.

Anyone ever experience this? They’re saying it’ll probably be 6-12 months until I can skate or do just about anything strenuous. I have every intention to take the recovery process as seriously as I can, but I’d love to hear other people’s experiences.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #642 on: December 18, 2023, 11:39:24 AM »
Tore my quad tendon last month. I’m a couple weeks post injury and just started PT.

Anyone ever experience this? They’re saying it’ll probably be 6-12 months until I can skate or do just about anything strenuous. I have every intention to take the recovery process as seriously as I can, but I’d love to hear other people’s experiences.
Fuck. That sounds heavy. Heal fast!

My knee started to act up. Can’t fully bend it anymore. No injury or nothing. Had some minor discomfort after long sessions the last months and suddenly it feels like something is entirely wrong. Ironically enough I was at my orthopedic doctor because of the minor discomfort and he didn’t find anything. We‘ll see.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #643 on: December 23, 2023, 06:44:35 PM »
It bums me out, but I've accepted that I'll always be injured in some way. Think I started skating too late in life, and coupled with my height and weight, it's just a bad deal. So I've decided to just keep things super casual in 2024.

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #644 on: December 24, 2023, 04:42:56 PM »
Gonna bump this thread to ask anyone who's broken their wrist how long it was until they skated. I'm likely getting the surgery to remove the plate out of my wrist in January then physical therapy afterwards. I'll definitely wear a wrist guard for the foreseeable future after that but I just don't know what the time frame for any of this is.

When I broke my wrist in 9th grade, about six weeks, but there was no surgery needed. When I broke my wrist in my 30s it required a plate & screws and it took several months to get back on my board.

adumb

• Rep: -3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #645 on: December 26, 2023, 08:13:49 AM »
I slipped on a french fry the other night. Now it feels like my muscle behind my shin is torn or something. Getting old sucks.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #646 on: January 20, 2024, 03:32:30 PM »
I think I tore my MCA on my back keen after tucking my foot under my arse ollie-ing up a ledge and losing my balance once on top and twisting it awkwardly with my weight over it. Never torn it before, going off dr Google. Hopefully not a major tear.

Edit: mildly torn meniscus, so won’t need surgery but off the board till mid March at least
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 12:39:24 AM by Dad you're embarrassing me »

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #647 on: February 24, 2024, 01:56:23 PM »
Was practicing backside wallrides, kinda messed up the end of the trick. Fell straight to the ground. Dislocated shoulder, bruised him. Wearing a sling now lol
I did your mom

LeDave

• Rep: 18
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #648 on: February 28, 2024, 07:13:20 PM »
I think I tore my MCA on my back keen after tucking my foot under my arse ollie-ing up a ledge and losing my balance once on top and twisting it awkwardly with my weight over it. Never torn it before, going off dr Google. Hopefully not a major tear.

Edit: mildly torn meniscus, so won’t need surgery but off the board till mid March at least

Ouch dude! glad to know it's not as major.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #649 on: February 29, 2024, 04:15:19 AM »
I have been diagnosed with Morton’s neuroma. Anyone have the surgery to take it out? I have been dealing with this for year so I think it’s time to just get the surgery.

LeDave

« Reply #650 on: February 29, 2024, 09:51:29 AM »
I've broken a lot of things throughout my life.

Torn aorta, fractured left and right wrists, fractured left hand, fractured left knee, fractured elbow, torn stomach, bilateral collapse lungs, traumatic brain injury, brain hemorrhage, benign brain tumor and jaw fractures.

These are non-skating related but I did break my left knee from skiing. I have a patch over my aorta now and some hardware on my wrists, hands, knees, and elbow.

A lot of these injuries happened when I was in the Marines back when I was 19.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:07:20 AM by LeDave »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #651 on: March 01, 2024, 12:45:34 AM »

Torn aorta, fractured left and right wrists, fractured left hand, fractured left knee, fractured elbow, torn stomach, bilateral collapse lungs, traumatic brain injury, brain hemorrhage, benign brain tumor and jaw fractures.

These are non-skating related but I did break my left knee from skiing. I have a patch over my aorta now and some hardware on my wrists, hands, knees, and elbow.

damn I thought my body was pretty wrecked from skating and snowboarding but shit seems brutal in the marines!

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 43
« Reply #652 on: March 01, 2024, 07:34:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

damn I thought my body was pretty wrecked from skating and snowboarding but shit seems brutal in the marines!

Merde alors! I believe you just won the old man pissing contest forever and ever. Respect.
The question now is, what kind of crazy warmup do you have to do before a sesh? Or is it just a cigarette, two fingers of pastis, and cussedness?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #653 on: March 01, 2024, 07:58:54 AM »
I got a cortisone shot on the neuroma and I can actually stand on my left foot without pain. I’ve probably had this for 10 years. Gonna get the surgery to get it out. I can wear any shoe and it doesn’t hurt!!! Crazy.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #654 on: March 01, 2024, 04:38:03 PM »
Rolled my ankle really badly walking down the street with some friends. This is not the first time this happens,because my ankle dislocates easily. Nevertheless bummed - since it means that I’m out of skating for andouille of weeks

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #655 on: March 01, 2024, 05:24:45 PM »
Rolled the hell out of my ankle skating a new complete with new shoes, missed a week of work. So naturally, I will never ride a new board with new shoes ever again.

LeDave

« Reply #656 on: March 01, 2024, 05:39:49 PM »
Today I fell harder than I've ever fell since I started skateboarding about 2 weeks ago.

I was wearing a helmet and full pads set-up, I was trying skate up a ramp when I fell off my board and landed on my back, my head slapped back and hit the ground. I saw a bright light upon impact and blacked out for a few seconds. I was kind of scared and traumatized after but it didn't stop me from going right back into practicing again.

EDIT: I just read the helmet information inside it, it says that it has minimal protection and will not help against impact. I am going to my parents soon to pick up my other helmet there, which I am sure meets safety standards.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #657 on: March 02, 2024, 09:18:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Merde alors! I believe you just won the old man pissing contest forever and ever. Respect.
The question now is, what kind of crazy warmup do you have to do before a sesh? Or is it just a cigarette, two fingers of pastis, and cussedness?

say what? I was just saying your injury resume seems much gnarlier than mine.... Plus I almost always got injured on stupid shit, it's really nothing to be proud of. I'd much rather be like some of my friends who seemed more naturally talented and almost never got injured skating.
Props for making me learn the meaning of cussedness though. oh btw Pastis is not drunk like whiskey, you mix it with a lot of water and drink a full glass.  8)

sodamnsane

• Rep: -6
« Reply #658 on: March 02, 2024, 09:23:21 AM »

knock on wood, that was all a long time ago, and I've managed to keep injury free since. 

I'll give you some wood t knock on

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2024, 07:46:37 AM »

Thank you for your service 🫡
I did your mom