Author Topic: Under the Table Money  (Read 1299 times)

The Woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
Under the Table Money
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »
So I work a warehouse job and hurt my knee recently and have been unable to work, I have short term disability insurance through my employer but it only pays %40 of my pay and doesnt cover my insurance, my insurance is $190 every two weeks so once they take my insurance out of my %40 I am left with almost nothing.

I can still walk and stand just not for super long periods or anything, any idea for how to earn off the books/under the table money that wont make me lose my benefits and job but will give me enough money to eat?
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Under the Table Money
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »
Man.....that sucks. I was just talking to someone that had a friend that went to the ER that had no medical insurance. She ended up paying a lot for that stint.

You into arts or anything like that? A graphic design gig would be perfect for your situation. Just do some freelance work on the side. Or you can always be a Uber driver as well as long as you have a car for it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
go to the gay bar. tell em you wanna work under the table.
sorry, i'm joking and i hope ya finger it out.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »
Man.....that sucks. I was just talking to someone that had a friend that went to the ER that had no medical insurance. She ended up paying a lot for that stint.

You into arts or anything like that? A graphic design gig would be perfect for your situation. Just do some freelance work on the side. Or you can always be a Uber driver as well as long as you have a car for it.

Honestly I kind of wish I just didnt have insurance, my deductable is 5500 so I am basically paying out of pocket anyway.

I am really good at CAD and engineering design, however there is a lot of industry where I live so that is kind of common, most people have a guy who does all that exclusively, and people who dont want someone with a degree.

I will look into the Uber thing for sure though, do you know anyone who does it or how exactly it works?
-Gandhi

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
tutor! im getting 30 an hour for private skate lessons and if your good with school you could try to tutor kids in math,reading,science and all that. you could also check craigslist for odd jobs and what not.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
See if there's any clerical/desk work at the warehouse. I worked in warehouses for a long, long time and they were always really happy to find any kind of employee that wasn't regular or an alcoholic.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
A friend of mine was working under the table for a construction business until last week. He cut his hand off on a saw.
For Your Health

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:57 AM »
A friend of mine was working under the table for a construction business until last week. He cut his hand off on a saw.

Off like he has no hand now, or off like he cut it really badly? People often say "off" when they mean "not off" so I want to be clear.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
I will look into the Uber thing for sure though, do you know anyone who does it or how exactly it works?

Well, the big catch is you need a car that is 2005 or older. A lot of people down right get new cars cause you can get a deal on it and a tax break. But after you are approved from your background and car, it's literally just picking up people as you see fit. Best part are the hours and you are pretty much your own boss. Most of the people I talk to when I take Uber does it as their primary job but even as side money, it's really good. Just don't get into an accident with a passenger cause apparently that is the loophole. You'll have all types of people suing you and Uber doesn't even require specific coverage from my understanding.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
Buy a bunch of electrical components from China and resell them or build things (guitar pedals for instance) with them and sell those.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, the big catch is you need a car that is 2005 or older. A lot of people down right get new cars cause you can get a deal on it and a tax break. But after you are approved from your background and car, it's literally just picking up people as you see fit. Best part are the hours and you are pretty much your own boss. Most of the people I talk to when I take Uber does it as their primary job but even as side money, it's really good. Just don't get into an accident with a passenger cause apparently that is the loophole. You'll have all types of people suing you and Uber doesn't even require specific coverage from my understanding.

Why 05 and older?
-Gandhi

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Why 05 and older?

He means newer. Also, Dave Matthews knows about Under the Table money...
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Why 05 and older?
[close]

He means newer. Also, Dave Matthews knows about Under the Table money...

Is it under the table and off the books?
-Gandhi

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
sell videos of you fighting wild animals.  i will pay you up to $25 depending on the list of animals.

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Off like he has no hand now, or off like he cut it really badly? People often say "off" when they mean "not off" so I want to be clear.

Cut it clean off. He walked downstairs holding a hand in his hand (that's weird to say). Thankfully some other kid put it on ice. They reattached it but from what I understand it will never near the same again
For Your Health

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
Start hanging out at your local Home Depot in the morning and try to look as Mexican as possible.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
not a guaranteed quick fix but look at thrift shops for things to resell. i've found a couple vintage jackets for a dollar that go for 100 on ebay

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »
See if there's any clerical/desk work at the warehouse. I worked in warehouses for a long, long time and they were always really happy to find any kind of employee that wasn't regular or an alcoholic.

Nah the place I work is shit and they dont give a fuck about the people who work there, if your not %100 they just send you home with no other options.
-Gandhi

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »
tutor! im getting 30 an hour for private skate lessons and if your good with school you could try to tutor kids in math,reading,science and all that. you could also check craigslist for odd jobs and what not.

I thought about tutoring, however it is July so no school. And because of my knee I can't skate and no one is going to take lessons from a a guy who can't actually show them how to do it.
-Gandhi

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 01:13:43 AM »
Sell bud? Just small draws.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

WantSomeSlaw

• Rep: -26
  • bohica
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 06:51:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought about tutoring, however it is July so no school. And because of my knee I can't skate and no one is going to take lessons from a a guy who can't actually show them how to do it.
Tutoring would be a little slow, but there are always families wanting their kids to get a head start for the school year, or maybe they need help finishing summer homework or something. Depending on how long you'll be out, it's not a bad option, maybe just put some fliers around town and you can probably find students.
Shit could be worse

shit_for_brains

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cut it clean off. He walked downstairs holding a hand in his hand (that's weird to say). Thankfully some other kid put it on ice. They reattached it but from what I understand it will never near the same again

Wait what? They can just reattach hands?

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
look up amazon mechanical turks
or the subreddit /r/beermoney

both offer things you can do online to make a little extra money
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »
Drive to meet me. I'll drop you a couple bows of that fire on the float. Depending where you take it you can make a lot.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
^good deal
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

DillAndKalis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »
not a guaranteed quick fix but look at thrift shops for things to resell. i've found a couple vintage jackets for a dollar that go for 100 on ebay

In the same vein, check out your town's craigslist free section every now and then looking for stuff to flip.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
landscaping is a great way to make under the table cash, but its pretty tough work in the summer.

other options if you are computer savvy would be to try using Fiverr or eLancer or craigslist and just set up wordpress sites for people. installing a theme and setting up 10 plugins takes a couple hours and people will pay you to do it.