Author Topic: Video parts that made you cry - A sensitive topic  (Read 17634 times)

needlejuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -101
Re: Video parts that made you cry - A sensitive topic
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2015, 07:02:14 AM »
easily cardiel post accident footage. something about seeing such a genuine dude lose the one thing that he loves the most and struggling barely being able to stand on the thing that he once stood the most talented on
try to remember, forget

G raham

• Rep: -48
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
Are vans paying you sharkin
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2015, 08:08:35 AM »
This one gets me everytime

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1510
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2015, 08:22:53 AM »

Not crying, but I remember being very perplexed. He was always a favorite and then he was gone.

N.L.

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
I don't cry. I'm a white British male. In saying that Pontus Alv in The Strongest of The Strange initiated 'strange new feelings' in me.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
I don't cry. I'm a white British male. In saying that Pontus Alv in The Strongest of The Strange initiated 'strange new feelings' in me.
haha i got some British in me too. my German family don't tears neither tho. plus my German Jewish grandfather helped destroy the fucking Nazis so I can go back over there whenever I fucking feel like. Ha ha fucking ha.

cried at the movies? i don't know.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Super Cliche: Both Guy's & Marc's parts in Fully Flared, 1st viewing only.
     |-> To see someone put that amount of passion into something they love is always an emotional experience for me...  ::)

Definitely going to catch some flak for this one, but watching Tiago Lemos recently in We Are Blood had me wellin' up a bit...
[may have been the lorazepam I took that morning][may just be where he is from][maybe I just don't know]

GOD DAMN YOU TY!!!
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Both songs give me chills.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
^^^ Good one Pablo ^^^

Another great example of somebody giving it all they had for skateboarding...

Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I've never cried, but I get chills if that counts. Reynolds in stay gold when he backside flips wallenberg, and lands right when the music kicks; that was awesome. Heath in This is Skateboarding when he slams on the hubba with the music; and in Mindfield the backlip in the red flannel, just hauling ass:

That's got to be my favorite trick of all time
[close]
I sometimes watch his part just to see that backlip. something about the way he rolls away.
Everything about the trick is rad. The angle, the speed, the slow mo off the curb, the way he puts his arms down after the curb. Good example of skating as an art form.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »
Tx. makes we wanna cry all the time..
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

dumb.tired

• Rep: 0
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »
didn't cry at heath's mind field part but totally lost it both times i've seen morrissey and that chainsaw kicks in on "speedway."

also, this is the part that i first thought of when clicking on this thread:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:40:18 PM by dumb.tired »

Such

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »
Well? 'Fess up!

2 from this year, at Vans' expense..

Andrew Allen's short part before propellor. The way the Daniel Johnston's music hits when AA bails on that wallie to boardslide in the last line then looks up into the camera smiling. https://youtu.be/hBtplnjHU9A?t=1m19s Can someone pass the tissues?

Also during Rowley's Propellor part -- Watching him shred those ditches. Took me back to the LA river FS flip from Sorry. A reminder that Rowley has not stopped progressing through his age. A living, ripping legend.

i literally shead a tear at sucius horizon part one time. just the song, and the beauty of his skating. sounds hella gay and i couldnt care less.

Tay

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
Closest I've gotten was the end of PJ Ladd's WHL with PJ's extra footage and the closing montage with the Blur song. So perfect, nothing will ever touch it. <3

Just found the highest quality link.  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:53:27 PM by Tay »

pussy popper,pot smoker

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
thinking about how unrelevant foundation is now is enough to bring a tear, i literally haven't seen a foundation deck in real life, are the boards good? i wanna get one.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »
I once saw a J-Cass part where he skated to his own music. I was hella hungover (which was a set up from the jump)
The song, how little he popped his tricks and the overall vibe made me punch myself super hard in the thigh. I didn't cry but I could of if I forced it.

kingoflights

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2015, 10:53:36 PM »
3 pages and yall havent mentioned this? Yall ignorant
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:39:10 AM by kingoflights »

Ivan Ranta

• Rep: 0
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 02:42:45 AM »
Heath seems to have a lot of emotional parts over his years. Definitely the most interesting and enigmatic person in skateboarding. You get the same feeling while watching his parts as you're a kid and reading some of your father's old comics and being instantly hooked on them.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 05:24:24 AM »
i wish i could say it were me, but a friend of mine took some mushrooms for the first time and watched Mosaic... he cried like a baby and said it was "the most beautiful thing" he'd ever seen

otherwise unless you're Spike watching Guy's Fully Flared part for the first time, you got no business crying during a skate video fam

dirtywork81

• Rep: 16
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »
Back in the day when Shorty's Guilty came out I coughed up $45 bucks for that piece of crap. I cried over my lost $45!!!!

mother collection

• Rep: -4
  • (Leaving) Quickly Now
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »
 I haven't but if any part would make me it would be dylan reider's part from cherry. tears of joy tho

IHOP

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
At the end of *TRUST* where the credits start rolling to drake, and the man is just walking alone through the subway tunnels,  I was feeling things.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
HK Stay Gold retirement part, Atmosphere is the perfect song choice.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
shane oneill in chronicles

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »
HK Stay Gold retirement part, Atmosphere is the perfect song choice.
Heath always skates to good music. The part was awesome with all the footage he's had over the years, and all the new footy in all white. HK is the best
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
I can honestly say I've never "cried" from watching a skate video part, but I've come close. Close as in like, felt a rush of emotions and could feel it building up as if I was capable of crying but it never came to fruition. Off hand I can think of a few videos/parts that this happened from. The video Closure from Wolfe, the whole video got me pretty emotional, but when the credits started to roll that almost put me over the edge. The montage of all of the people/skaters he's worked with in slow motion and the music it was paired with. Just imagining all of the amazing people he's met, spent time filming, witnessing so many incredible things first hand that I've only seen in mags and videos (and to me feeling like I'm part of for even experiencing it second hand) it was crazy. The Cardiel Epicly Later'd got to me too. I was always a fan of Cardiel, since his padless 540 in Virtual Reality. But getting to hear his story, from him was awesome. My first daughter, is named Skylar Cardiel. Guy Mariano's part from Fully Flared is another too. For pretty much the same reason the person stated earlier in this thread. I grew up basically idolizing him from Video Days. That video changed the way I thought about skateboarding. To see him grow up on a skateboard from back then, go trough everything he's been through, and come back with this part was absolutely inspiring. Everything about that part was beautiful.

Thank you.. I forgot all about that one.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2015, 10:30:07 PM »
I feel something every time that Tortoise song kicks in at the end of photosynthesis

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »
honestly, Mind Field opening.  An ode to skateboarding and the feeling of primitive joy one experiences when grinding metal and concrete or gliding down the sidewalk.  A ballad to the lonely, misunderstood kid in a parking lot doing the best thing in the world and believing in himself despite what anyone says.  A deviant activity that changed the way we think about public space forever and renegotiates useless decoration and street filth into one of the last places where men express themselves freely and battle their personal limits with honesty and integrity.  A toy that has created interesting personalities, friendships, and rivalries from every day people that made it all the way to the top of pop culture.  There is not much better than this useless wooden toy that is powered by your will alone.

Or maybe it's just the bag pipes.
Bumping this thread because 1.) holy shit this is a great/relatable post by chancho that should be revisited and 2.) this is an interesting topic

Chipper

• Rep: 14
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:31 AM »
Never cried but when I first saw Flip Sorry and Arto did that fakie flip to Bowie's Rock n Roll Suicide I had to breathe.

It's at 3:44 but I'm sure most on here remember.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2017, 06:24:57 AM »
Greco's "The Way Out" definitely fucked me up when it came out. Right when the Cocteau Twins song hit I was just like fuckkkkkkk.
I got sober a few months before he did (still clean) and the way he portrays the misery of addiction as well as loneliness of sobriety but through the lens of skating as a coping mechanism was very heavy and honest to me.
To me it was a very sincere and genuine piece of art from one of skating most superficially inconsistent figures, so it was refreshing to see something like that from him.
Not to mention the skating was truly fucking incredible and the soundtrack was perfect.

Reynolds in Stay Gold, like others have said, is a good one...
Absolutely Jason Dill in Photosynthesis...walking down those stairs mid-line...are you fucking kidding me? Insane.

Definitely not tear-worthy, but just a beautiful part in a skate video: Greg Hunt's part in Tincan Folklore when it cuts to the tortoise song and its 8mm footage of a homeless man playing guitar, then cuts into to Greg's impeccable skating. So great.

Dylan's parts wont ever be the same...damn.

There's a lot, skating is an art form, and good art is provocative.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E