Author Topic: How do you know when your wheels are toast?  (Read 3389 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
How do you know when your wheels are toast?
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »
I've always ridden the same wheels pretty hard but today, after some lurkers at the park asked to try my board, one of them told me my bearings and wheels were shot. I knew my bearings were pretty bad but I was wondering how he came to the conclusion my wheels were shot. Given this dude was kinda homeless-looking and smoking something maybe I shouldn't take it super seriously but you could tell he skated at some point in his life by the way he rode a board.

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
Re: How do you know when your wheels are toast?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 07:39:37 AM »
Maybe your set up just felt slow, old wheels sometimes start to feel soft and sluggish after a while to me. The only thing that makes me change wheels is usually just when I feel the impulse to buy new wheels.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:56:19 AM »
Sounds to me like those same people who say things like "your board has no pop", "your bushings are dead" and "I can't skate boards from this woodshop".  Made up things to make it look like if it weren't for those wheels, i'd be killing it right now. 

I'd say as long as they're not flat spotted and completely bowed you're ok.

Maybe your set up just felt slow, old wheels sometimes start to feel soft and sluggish after a while to me. The only thing that makes me change wheels is usually just when I feel the impulse to buy new wheels.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
I only replace wheels when I get serious flat spots, they wear down to a very small size, or they get so used the insides don't hold he berings tightly anymore.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
When they turn shit brown and go beyond 48mm. 2 sets a year roughly, I know sponsored dudes that set up wheels with every new deck

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
The only thing that makes me change wheels is usually just when I feel the impulse to buy new wheels.

zippy z

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Probably every other month is the longest I go between sets. Normally I ride a set for two boards. So that's about 6 weeks per set. I normally get a new board after 3 weeks. Florida has a lot of nasty blacktop that gets all over your wheels and turns them a gross color orange and they look like shit.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
Besides getting bad flat spots, I'll change em when they start feeling all laggy and sluggish, which is usually when they've already shrunk down in size quite a bit already. When it takes you ten pushes to get down the sidewalk when it only used to take you five, that's a good sign that it's time. Sometimes its only after a few months, other times its half a year or more, it depends on the wheels. I don't have a car and use my board to skate everywhere I need to go though, and I'm constantly out and about, so I tend to go through wheels faster than most people.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »
What would Vince do?

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »
When they're coned. I heard about these new wheels called Blurrs that you can flip over.

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »
I'll usually change them when I pick up my board one day and think to myself  "fuck, these wheels look small as hell."

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 07:44:23 AM »
I'll usually change them when I pick up my board one day and think to myself  "fuck, these wheels look small as hell."

I never know when to change em, this is my usual reasoning. Or, whenever Prize Fighter gets a new shipment I usually know it's about that time.
p-shuvs and v-flips

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »
I'll rotate my wheels every time I swap out a board, back left to front right and vice versa. To me it seems like there's a point of no return, once wheels start wearing down, they start doing it bad, I feel like. So once I notice that the wheels are off, in terms of sizing... wheels in the back or front being way different sizes, then it's time. Or once they don't have any shape and are completely squared off.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 05:39:23 AM »
I usually ride wheels until one chunks out or flatspots. It's all personal preference. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Don't be that guy that buys a whole new complete every month though. A real man only has to change a board out for a season or so. Those wheels and trucks should last a while!

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:02 AM »
I've had the same bones for like 3 years. spf conical shaped ones. started as 60s, now probably 55s? i guess i don't skate too hard

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
When they're coned. I heard about these new wheels called Blurrs that you can flip over.

Blurr swirls.

Will change out wheels when they flat spot, start getting small, or feel sluggish.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
once... maaaaaybe twice a year?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:41 PM »
every 3-4 months
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
If your wheels looks like this then theyre toast

oldgoodburger

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 10:56:09 PM »
Rimz

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 08:40:38 AM »
in the small wheels days of the 90s, some extreme people had like a quarter-inch of urethane around their bearings, and that was their "wheel." kinda crazy to think people actually skated like that compared to some people's wheel standards today.