Author Topic: Why's Guy gone into hiding  (Read 31087 times)

Xtal

Re: Why's Guy gone into hiding
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »
seems like a lot of naive teenagers in this thread.  

also 15 years in, and Nike is still looked at as "take the money and run".  

go to a trade show sometime and tell me how many of your favorite "core" skate companies are actually owned/run/backed by real skaters.  

Just because skater owned/run/backed companies may be in the minority, it doesn't justify supporting sporting goods companies.

conqueso

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote

go to a trade show sometime and tell me how many of your favorite "core" skate companies are actually owned/run/backed by real skaters.  
[close]

Just because skater owned/run/backed companies may be in the minority, it doesn't justify supporting sporting goods companies.

People start skate companies to make money dude. Doing it for the 'love' doesn't always put food in front of your family.

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2015, 03:26:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thats not what i'm talking about.  i said go to a trade show and see who most of your so-called "core" companies are ran/owned/and backed by.  the vast majority are surfer kooks or guys that haven't set foot on a skateboard since the late 80s.  the "skater owned company" is largely an illusion. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Xtal

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2015, 05:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

People start skate companies to make money dude. Doing it for the 'love' doesn't always put food in front of your family.

Of course they start the company with hopes of making money. But they're making money doing something they love. That's as good as you can do in life this day in age. Ricky Oyola's company, Traffic, isn't insanely popular therefore he's had to work average jobs just like most of society. However, last time I checked Traffic is still alive and making quality goods. If all he cared about was money he would have quit and let the company die out.

thats not what i'm talking about.  i said go to a trade show and see who most of your so-called "core" companies are ran/owned/and backed by.  the vast majority are surfer kooks or guys that haven't set foot on a skateboard since the late 80s.  the "skater owned company" is largely an illusion. 

You're exaggerating.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nobody is saying skater owned companies dont want to make money, the point is you can choose to support actual skaters or support a sporting goods company that had no other agenda in skating other than money. It blows my mind that people on here are willing to talk about every tiny deatil about skating with total strangers, but then choose not to support the very industry they invest so much time in.

And for the record, the arguement about making better shoes is such a load of shit, but whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
I'm sure Guy was in a good place financially while he was on Girl and Lakai at least compared to most people anyway. If he wanted to secure income for when he retires from skating he could of bought to let like Elissa did or he could of started a gardening company with Rudy. Doesn't he co own Royal and Fourstar as well?

Xtal

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »

Nobody is saying skater owned companies dont want to make money, the point is you can choose to support actual skaters or support a sporting goods company that had no other agenda in skating other than money. It blows my mind that people on here are willing to talk about every tiny deatil about skating with total strangers, but then choose not to support the very industry they invest so much time in.

And for the record, the arguement about making better shoes is such a load of shit, but whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

Finally, someone gets it.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The higher ups in Nike dont have to love Ice hockey , track and field or Skateboarding . They just have to hire people who love and feel passionate about those activities

I said it in the other thread . What does skater owned really mean ?  Is girl still skater owned ? they have outside investors . And even if they are skater owned . As far as quality things Ive heard about girl is shitty graphics , Chinese inferior wood , bad shapes and that the Pro and Am team might be skating different wood from what we are buying

Ive only heard one person talk good about royal trucks , from what Ive read on slap it seems to be the worst truck company out there , even people on the Royal team skate different trucks

Lakai used to be pretty damn shitty quality , its improved alot since its start but there was a time where went through them very fast .

I think a big point to bring up here is that most Pros and Ams have no healthcare or retirement plan . You can go for a backside lipslide on a hand rail . wreck a knee or both and all your sponsors can drop you . I mean Im sure many companies would let you stay and
hope you recover , or even help you . But Any trick you go for could end your career

The idea to get as much money as possible while you can seems pretty good 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2015, 07:54:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
seems like a lot of naive teenagers in this thread. �

also 15 years in, and Nike is still looked at as "take the money and run". �

go to a trade show sometime and tell me how many of your favorite "core" skate companies are actually owned/run/backed by real skaters. �
[close]

[close]

[close]

Of course they start the company with hopes of making money. But they're making money doing something they love. That's as good as you can do in life this day in age. Ricky Oyola's company, Traffic, isn't insanely popular therefore he's had to work average jobs just like most of society. However, last time I checked Traffic is still alive and making quality goods. If all he cared about was money he would have quit and let the company die out.

Expand Quote
thats not what i'm talking about.� i said go to a trade show and see who most of your so-called "core" companies are ran/owned/and backed by.� the vast majority are surfer kooks or guys that haven't set foot on a skateboard since the late 80s.� the "skater owned company" is largely an illusion.�
[close]

You're exaggerating.
Pretty sure the Theories guys pretty much run Traffic now, not sure how involved Ricky is.

For shoe companies there probably isn't a company that is fully "core" now due to the insane costs involved in just a productionline of one shoe. DVS was always surfer owned plus Gavin, Lakai was under podium and now is controlled by a VC, Huf has a significant amount owned by the same VC, Dekline (who a lot bashed here) was probably the closest to core left and is done, and I don't think Pierre of Sole Tech has had a board or filmed something since the late 80's. Board companies are a different deal, many are still owned and skater ran.  

Xtal

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »
I think a big point to bring up here is that most Pros and Ams have no healthcare or retirement plan

The fact that people can get paid to ride a skateboard is amazing. But this sense of entitlement I've read a lot on the internet, how some pro's "deserve" this or that...listen, no one is entitled to anything in life. Pro skateboarders are not entitled to health insurance plans. Most people on this Earth are forced to work jobs they hate and get paid non-livable wages. So even if you're not making a ton of money as a skateboarder, if you can make enough to live a decent life you shouldn't be complaining at all.

I don't think Pierre of Sole Tech has had a board or filmed something since the late 80's.

Also, older dudes like Pierre don't need to come out with footage or a new board with their name on it to maintain credibility from anyone in the world. Assuming he never sets foot on a skateboard anymore is regular. I guarantee Rodney Mullen skates every day and he hasn't had a full part since what, the Almost videos? These old dudes have already lived out their younger years and skated their asses off. Just because they reach old age and they're not on Instagram posting a new clip every day doesn't mean they're kooks or irrelevant.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As far as quality things Ive heard about girl is shitty graphics , Chinese inferior wood , bad shapes and that the Pro and Am team might be skating different wood from what we are buying

Not all their graphics are shitty. And there's no such thing as Chinese wood in skateboards. It's all maple from North America. Most companies have their decks pressed in China because it's cheaper and faster.

conqueso

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I think a big point to bring up here is that most Pros and Ams have no healthcare or retirement plan
[close]

The fact that people can get paid to ride a skateboard is amazing. But this sense of entitlement I've read a lot on the internet, how some pro's "deserve" this or that...listen, no one is entitled to anything in life. Pro skateboarders are not entitled to health insurance plans. Most people on this Earth are forced to work jobs they hate and get paid non-livable wages. So even if you're not making a ton of money as a skateboarder, if you can make enough to live a decent life you shouldn't be complaining at all.

Expand Quote
I don't think Pierre of Sole Tech has had a board or filmed something since the late 80's.
[close]

Also, older dudes like Pierre don't need to come out with footage or a new board with their name on it to maintain credibility from anyone in the world. Assuming he never sets foot on a skateboard anymore is regular. I guarantee Rodney Mullen skates every day and he hasn't had a full part since what, the Almost videos? These old dudes have already lived out their younger years and skated their asses off. Just because they reach old age and they're not on Instagram posting a new clip every day doesn't mean they're kooks or irrelevant.

You really belive that a 49 year old man skates everyday? just because he is a legend or something?

As you said the big industry figures have gained their credibility years ago.
We are just consumers and these guys owe us nothing.
Who really gives a fuck if they skate or not?
Props to guy for getting paid.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ill start numbering things off here

1: People get paid to play video games , grow flowers , clean houses . People get paid alot of money to have other people watch them put a ball into a goal with their feet . Why is it so amazing you can get paid to skateboard ?

2:Everybody in the world should have a retirement plan and a healthcare plan . I come from a country that has pretty much free healthcare and I think its pretty crazy that not all countries have this . I dont understand how you can be against everybody getting taken care off if you get hurt

3:What is "enough to live a decent life "  I mean when you are 18 and can share a apartment with 3 skate friends , sleeping on couches and eating ok . Technically that is a decent life , but that changes when you get married and have kids doesnt it ? . Are you suggesting
caps in wages for skateboarders ?  

who in the company decides what a " decent life " is ? . Im sure shane oniell was selling more boards then Matt beach was , he was also producing more footage then matt beach . Should both get paid the same ? and at what point do you you think they should cut Shanes pay check ? cause he can live a decent life ?

If shane oniell is bringing in lets say 70% of skatementals income , why should he get paid the same as somebody who only brings in 10% ?  and if he is bringing so much money , why should he have to share a apartment with 3 other skaters ? just cause he worked extremely hard to become a pro , but he should consider himself lucky and blessed ?

5: There would be alot less pros if they only made enough money to suport themself . Every skater that had a girlfriend / wife / kids would have to quit to get another job to support themselves and their family . A pro skateboarder who lives in Copenhagen doesnt really need a car , but a skateboarder who lives in California needs a car . A skater with 3 kids a dog and a wife needs more money then a skater who lives with his friends in a small appartment .  Who decides what a Decent life is ? I mean the skater can live of pizza while the skaters kids shouldnt eat pizza 2 times a day ?

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »

That video was fucking awesome.  8)

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2015, 05:27:04 AM »
Nike hardgoods coming soon. Full line of boards and wheels.

They make soccer balls, baseball bats, tennis racquets, now they are going to make skateboards.

i'm clowning the first person i see with a nike sb board, idgaf how good the sweatshop pop is on that board that shit is getting focused.
the shoes, yeah i could see why you would buy them but fucking really? hypebeasts are going to be mall grabbing this shit when the new dunk colorway comes out at the footlocker next to the tillys at some mall. but in other news i wonder where they are getting to boards pressed at.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Nike hardgoods coming soon. Full line of boards and wheels.

They make soccer balls, baseball bats, tennis racquets, now they are going to make skateboards.

[close]
i'm clowning the first person i see with a nike sb board, idgaf how good the sweatshop pop is on that board that shit is getting focused.
the shoes, yeah i could see why you would buy them but fucking really? hypebeasts are going to be mall grabbing this shit when the new dunk colorway comes out at the footlocker next to the tillys at some mall. but in other news i wonder where they are getting to boards pressed at.

If this is true, it smells of the Olympics to me... The sith are strong at this shit...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

OldmanEpic

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2015, 05:43:03 AM »
If nike is getting into hardgoods, it might be interesting to see if they try to add new technologies to decks.

Just like golf etc they really put out solid stuff and are constantly trying to innovate.

Dont get me wrong, I wish nike never entered skateboarding. But realistically its not going to leave so might as well see what they put out.

And imagine the team they could buy???

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2015, 05:54:04 AM »
If nike is getting into hardgoods, it might be interesting to see if they try to add new technologies to decks.

Throughout the years, various companies have tried to introduce new technologies to decks and trucks but skaters have not bit. If Nike succeeds where they failed, it'll bum me out because the only difference would be the Nike hype machine convincing skaters to try them out.

That board is hideous, btw. The swooshes on their shoes are bad enough but a deck that has "Nike SB" emblazoned on it in huge lettering on a brown marbled background is absolutely vomit inducing. 

Xtal.

• Rep: -406
  • Less is more stay pure, stay poor
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »
I think we all knew this day was coming

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2015, 06:54:03 AM »
Fuck nike.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Xtal

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2015, 06:56:52 AM »
As you said the big industry figures have gained their credibility years ago.
We are just consumers and these guys owe us nothing.
Who really gives a fuck if they skate or not?
Props to guy for getting paid.

All you did was repeat my points and then add "props to guy for getting paid". Therefore, you support someone who turned their back on skateboarding. Good stuff.

Ill start numbering things off here

1: People get paid to play video games , grow flowers , clean houses . People get paid alot of money to have other people watch them put a ball into a goal with their feet . Why is it so amazing you can get paid to skateboard ?

2:Everybody in the world should have a retirement plan and a healthcare plan . I come from a country that has pretty much free healthcare and I think its pretty crazy that not all countries have this . I dont understand how you can be against everybody getting taken care off if you get hurt

3:What is "enough to live a decent life "  I mean when you are 18 and can share a apartment with 3 skate friends , sleeping on couches and eating ok . Technically that is a decent life , but that changes when you get married and have kids doesnt it ? . Are you suggesting
caps in wages for skateboarders ?  

who in the company decides what a " decent life " is ? . Im sure shane oniell was selling more boards then Matt beach was , he was also producing more footage then matt beach . Should both get paid the same ? and at what point do you you think they should cut Shanes pay check ? cause he can live a decent life ?

If shane oniell is bringing in lets say 70% of skatementals income , why should he get paid the same as somebody who only brings in 10% ?  and if he is bringing so much money , why should he have to share a apartment with 3 other skaters ? just cause he worked extremely hard to become a pro , but he should consider himself lucky and blessed ?

5: There would be alot less pros if they only made enough money to suport themself . Every skater that had a girlfriend / wife / kids would have to quit to get another job to support themselves and their family . A pro skateboarder who lives in Copenhagen doesnt really need a car , but a skateboarder who lives in California needs a car . A skater with 3 kids a dog and a wife needs more money then a skater who lives with his friends in a small appartment .  Who decides what a Decent life is ? I mean the skater can live of pizza while the skaters kids shouldnt eat pizza 2 times a day ?

1. If you can get paid to do something you enjoy doing in your free time, that's awesome. No one wakes up and says, "man I can't wait to go to work at Mcdonalds today!". Skateboarding, video games, planting flowers, etc...these are leisure activities. So if someone is willing to pay you to do that, it's something to be stoked on. That's my point.

2. The healthcare system here in The States is definitely messed up, and I'm certainly not against free healthcare at all. Nor am I saying I want skateboarders to not have health insurance. I'm just saying no one is entitled to anything in life. If you want it, earn it. If you are a professional skateboarder and you ride for core companies and they can't pay you enough to have food, water, shelter, dropping those sponsors and going to Nike or any sporting goods company is not the right way to go about it. And again, my point is Guy was absolutely getting more than food, water, and shelter. Lakai, Girl, Chocolate, Fourstar are all very successful companies and I guarantee Mike and Rick have plenty of money to pay their riders well enough.

3. Where the fuck did you get the idea I want "salary caps" for skateboarders? The pros getting paid insane amounts of money are the ones gobbling corporate dick. Getting paid to live a decent life means you can survive and also have extra money to do what you want in your free time. If you want more money, work a side job, make art and sell it, or whatever else you want to do. But seeking out a sponsorship from a sporting goods company when you're a skateboarder is not the right thing to do.

4. Even though you didn't have a #4 I'll assume it's the Shane O'Neill comment. It would be understandable if a pro that's bringing in more income for the company to get paid more, but the other riders should be paid fairly as long as they're doing their best too. And I'm sure for the most part, it works out this way.

5. Every human being has a different definition of what a "decent life" is. But let's face it, if you think you need an Audi, a mansion, butlers, hair stylists, and personal chefs to live a comfortable life, you're fucked. So yes, there would be a lot less pros if they expected to be paid money like Nyjah. It goes back to the sense of entitlement. Successful core companies are doing their best to pay their riders fairly. You don't take that for granted and throw shit in their face by teaming up with a sporting goods company that's driving the very person that is supporting you out of business.  

conqueso

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2015, 07:15:07 AM »
Turned thier back on skateboarding? You're rediculous.....

BMCsteve

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »
I love when people that live in first world countries post on internet forums about what they determine a "decent life" is for others.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »

1. If you can get paid to do something you enjoy doing in your free time, that's awesome. No one wakes up and says, "man I can't wait to go to work at Mcdonalds today!". Skateboarding, video games, planting flowers, etc...these are leisure activities. So if someone is willing to pay you to do that, it's something to be stoked on. That's my point.

2. Lakai, Girl, Chocolate, Fourstar are all very successful companies and I guarantee Mike and Rick have plenty of money to pay their riders well enough.

3. If you want more money, work a side job, make art and sell it, or whatever else you want to do. But seeking out a sponsorship from a sporting goods company when you're a skateboarder is not the right thing to do.

4. Even though you didn't have a #4 I'll assume it's the Shane O'Neill comment. It would be understandable if a pro that's bringing in more income for the company to get paid more, but the other riders should be paid fairly as long as they're doing their best too. And I'm sure for the most part, it works out this way.

5.Successful core companies are doing their best to pay their riders fairly. You don't take that for granted and throw shit in their face by teaming up with a sporting goods company that's driving the very person that is supporting you out of business.  

You're hilarious. Where do you get your information from? Plenty of people wake up happy to work for McDonald's everyday. Rick and Mike pay themselves before they even have a second thought about what a fair living wage or what the correct reimbursement value of a team riders effort is worth. I you're presented with the option to either remain a "full time" professional or substitute your income by getting another job or "making art and selling it" and your decision making process involves "keeping it core" then that's great that you have that luxury. Tell me, where are you getting this insider knowledge about what "successful core companies" are doin for their riders and their families? The management gets payed first.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
That nike board, bumbaclaat, the schism continues

Xtal

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »
I love when people that live in first world countries post on internet forums about what they determine a "decent life" is for others.

You must not have read my first sentence in my response to #5. However, it's a universal truth that you're living pretty good if you can afford to eat well, drink clean water, and sleep comfortably in a climate controlled house or apartment. You think a homeless person wouldn't be more than happy with that? It's important to look at the bigger picture and keep an open perspective.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
That putrid Nike deck is from 2006 though, and not made by Nike, as far as I can tell...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nike-SB-Skateboard-Deck-Designer-Series-Ltd-50-Count-NUMBER-003-/200865470892
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
Even tho Nike is 'in it for the money' like you core kooks like to say, I've never skated a park sponsored by Lakai. Just saying.

Plus yes. The shoes are better. Just because you add 'for the record' to the front doesn't make it so.

And also. I never see a single pair of Diamon or Filament shoes being rocked in the 'post the shoes I'm wearing' thread for everyone who gets a hard on for 'skater owned'

Xtal

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
Even tho Nike is 'in it for the money' like you core kooks like to say, I've never skated a park sponsored by Lakai. Just saying.

Plus yes. The shoes are better. Just because you add 'for the record' to the front doesn't make it so.

And also. I never see a single pair of Diamon or Filament shoes being rocked in the 'post the shoes I'm wearing' thread for everyone who gets a hard on for 'skater owned'

Do you know what a kook is? Lol, Diamond shoes aren't skate shoes, they're lifestyle. And do you really think that just because you don't see people posting pictures of the shoes they're wearing on a forum that it discredits a skater owned company? Holy shit...

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »
Do you know what marketing is? Why can't you skate a 'lifestyle shoe' what the fuck do you think people were skating before the advent of 'skate shoes'?